Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was announced with the PS4 and it was one of the top games I was looking forward to. Preordered to get the theme and everything. Deleted it after an hour because I was bored out of my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The run button supposedly works but it takes like 20 steps to reach full speed so you dont notice and it makes people mad iirc

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Unless they increased engine limits by an order of magnitude since I last played there's no way that short demo is not really straining against them.

haveblue posted:

How do you get high quality custom assets like that into Dreams? Does it import from desktop 3D tools?

Everything is modeled painstakingly by hand, there's no way to import anything into the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think most of the time when people bitch about movement speed in games they are being dramatic but in EGTTR it's seriously tedious even with the pathetic run button.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The ps moves give better 3d control for making models

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

dishonored 2 is fun as hell. trying to do nonlethal again even though i massacred everyone on the first level. im bummed they nerfed dark vision though you cant really see anyone through walls unless youre look at/near them. going to see how long i can last before i crack and start stabbing/throwing grenades everywhere

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

The run button supposedly works but it takes like 20 steps to reach full speed so you dont notice and it makes people mad iirc
I'm so divided on things like this because I do want developers to question ancient video game expectations like that the player can run 50 mph everywhere, but at the same time, it was as frustrating for me as anyone else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Walking sims like anything else can be great or bad. SOMA and Tacoma are two of the best games in recent memory.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Lumpy I'm so sorry, I purged you from my list in the great drunken stupor of 2015. My list got to like 250 people and I just mass-deleted poo poo out of frustration. I'm throwing you a humble request, fellow warhawk goon.

All good my man. I played some more Newcomer matches, and while I still suck, it is not so overwhelming any more. It still has the same problem that most shooters I play have*; I empty a clip at someone's back, they turn around and insta-kill me.

* This problem is of course, I panic whenever I see anyone and spray bullets everywhere that isn't where they are standing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pursuant to Everything In America Is On Fire talk, watch last night's John Oliver

The Medicare part is on youtube

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would play a zero-combat walking simulator in the Bioshock universe. Call it Everyone's Gone to Rapture.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm so divided on things like this because I do want developers to question ancient video game expectations like that the player can run 50 mph everywhere, but at the same time, it was as frustrating for me as anyone else.

Sometimes these just have to yield to practicality. Even the survival games with food and drink meters don't force you to use the bathroom every few hours.

lunar detritus posted:

Everything is modeled painstakingly by hand, there's no way to import anything into the game.

:staredog:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Yeah I wanna know how much time that one dude spent modelling the insanely detailed breakfast and hot dog Dreams

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
if you cant import anything then why is there music and why does the robot have his voice lines from the game?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Discussion of lovingly hand modeled models brings me straight back to bad late 90s/early 2000s FPS mods.

Dreams isn't like that right?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Discussion of lovingly hand modeled models brings me straight back to bad late 90s/early 2000s FPS mods.

Dreams isn't like that right?

Just buying Half Life alone got you dozens of single and multi player games

They Hunger rerelease when

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

if you cant import anything then why is there music and why does the robot have his voice lines from the game?

You can record audio using any mic connected to the ps4 (or the cam's mic)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vikar Jerome posted:

You can record audio input and also it has a DAW, basically

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm about to start the first real mission in Dishonored 1. Should I actually try to go through the game with minimum killing? I was going to go the stealth route, but there seem far fewer stealth skills and they all seem lame. All of the cool stuff is related to killing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm about to start the first real mission in Dishonored 1. Should I actually try to go through the game with minimum killing? I was going to go the stealth route, but there seem far fewer stealth skills and they all seem lame. All of the cool stuff is related to killing.

Both ways are fun, just don't try to be completely obsessive about not getting spotted. You get two very different final levels depending on whether you go lethal or non lethal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dishonored is most fun played trying to stealth things and then just saying gently caress it and blasting everyone when poo poo goes south.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lunar detritus posted:

You can record audio using any mic connected to the ps4 (or the cam's mic)

Yeah like I said the music tool is phenomenal, I remixed one of my songs in Dreams and it was actually easier than most of my computer programs

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Dishonored is most fun played trying to stealth things and then just saying gently caress it and blasting everyone when poo poo goes south.

prettymuch. you can still get the low chaos ending if you kill a few dudes so dont be afraid to get stabby if you have to.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You have to kill something like 50% of all NPCs in the game to get high chais so it’s almost impossible to do by accident

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just read a Japanese article about an incident back in the PS3 days where a bad JoJo fighting game got a 40 in Famitsu and people always thought the review was bought. The president of the developer responded by saying "why would we buy a Famitsu review? There's no evidence it influences sales" and I was like lol.

For all the problems game reviews have in the West, at least they influence the industry enough for developers to try to buy them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I ruined my game this way with reloads when things (constantly) didn't go as planned. My advice would be to just go with the flow, even if you set out not intending to kill.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just read a Japanese article about an incident back in the PS3 days where a bad JoJo fighting game got a 40 in Famitsu and people always thought the review was bought. The president of the developer responded by saying "why would we buy a Famitsu review? There's no evidence it influences sales" and I was like lol.

For all the problems game reviews have in the West, at least they influence the industry enough for developers to try to buy them.

Oh man, if you were big into console wars in the early 2000s, the perfect score for Nintendogs was like a bomb going off.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The perfect Dishonored 1 playthrough is effortlessly ghosting the levels, non-lethally dispatching the targets poetically, and then unleashing full razor-lined carnage on the last level, which is super low chaos and not at all prepared for the orgy of violence that you represent.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i would say just go through levels organically. whatever happens happens. trying to reload for perfect ghosting or whatever breaks up the game flow quite badly and there's virtually no reason to do it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Remember that Dishonored was very nearly Gold when they added in all the non-lethal weapons in to the game very late due to player feedback. The online hype around the game had somehow generated the expectations for non-lethal playthroughs when they had set out to make a game about excessively violent revenge. They heard their audience and adapted, but that’s why all the stealth/non-lethal powers and equipment seem super OP, most of it was barely tested or tuned.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

lethal is way way way way better and easier in basically every single situation in dishonored so gonna have to disagree with you there

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bust Rodd posted:

Remember that Dishonored was very nearly Gold when they added in all the non-lethal weapons in to the game very late due to player feedback. The online hype around the game had somehow generated the expectations for non-lethal playthroughs when they had set out to make a game about excessively violent revenge. They heard their audience and adapted, but that’s why all the stealth/non-lethal powers and equipment seem super OP, most of it was barely tested or tuned.

you have a link/source?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

you have a link/source?

Sorry it was an interview from a gaming site like 10 years ago, I’ve been digging but I can’t find anything other than one interview where they said they had lethal/non lethal punishments for the villains but then in testing they branched out to just add non-lethal everything, and that their goal was to always let the player feel like their choices mattered.

I loved Dishonored but never played the sequels and DLC, I always felt like the sale prices were middlin and one day I’d scoop it up for like $5

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Arist posted:

The "game" part of Catherine absolutely isn't for everyone but I honestly love it. There's a reason there is (or was, dunno about recently) a competitive scene.

I’m super frustrated the one head is an idiot which has made this game be controversial. Because the plot is unusual, and the gameplay is great. I rebought it )originally owned it on the pS3) and I haven’t played through it again but look forward to it, minus the dumb trans poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The puzzle poo poo is so tense and stressful in the best possible way. Also hanging out in the bar is way more fun than it has any right to be and the story is so entertaining.

It's not a game I should even like on paper but I absolutely loved it. Still need to pick up the new version.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 18, 2020

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat Yakuza 5 tonight. One mor game and I'll have played them all...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

The puzzle poo poo is so tense and stressful in the best possible way. Also hanging out in the bar is way more fun than it has any right to be and the story is so entertaining.

It's not a game I should even like on paper but I absolutely loved it. Still need to pick up the new version.

Same. I actually have a neat little four-pack set of Stray Sheep drink coasters. They're proper cork ones, and have drink trivia underneath :allears:.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Regy Rusty posted:

Didn't #7 just come out?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

Didn't #7 just come out?
In Japan yeah, last month. I'm near the end of it and it's glorious, but also it has some grindy parts. I need to get my party up about four more levels before fighting the next boss because I got my clock cleaned last time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Christ you're fast. I'm still stuck playing Saejima because I'm really invested in Okudera's story and helping this village be free of this terrifying bear that's out for his blood and only his blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

lunar detritus posted:

Unless they increased engine limits by an order of magnitude since I last played there's no way that short demo is not really straining against them.

More importantly there is no way to export anything out of the game.
I think Dreams is an incredible achievement and it's amazing to see what people have been able to create. But I can't help but feel those dozens (hundreds?) of hours spent creating stuff like this would be better spent in Maya/Unreal/Unity/etc. in something that wasn't such a closed platform.

When they decide to turn the Dreams servers off in X years what happens to all these creations? Although I do wonder with it coming so late into this gen if Dreams will get enhanced capabilities on PS5...