Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yeah, the combat is rough. I've had the game for years but bounce off the first few combats every time I try to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ornamented Death posted:

Yeah, the combat is rough. I've had the game for years but bounce off the first few combats every time I try to play it.

It's not that hard; Dodge is your friend, because while they say that standard hits will do more, saving you from Barrage is more important and it gets you into a nice position to Death Blow your enemy (or just Standard them down). Then you back out of their firing range and repeat.

Then you get Fighters and just dump a pile of angry metal wasps on everything while you back off and sit in Dodge :unsmigghh:.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm coming up on the split in radiata stories. i always assumed i'd pick nonhuman because humans are bad, but all the friends i've made along the way are human... oops

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The game will open up a lot more nonhuman recruitment options after the split.

It's not super well done, unfortunately.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm coming up on the split in radiata stories. i always assumed i'd pick nonhuman because humans are bad, but all the friends i've made along the way are human... oops

The game was very clearly made with the Human side in mind when it comes to that choice as you have, one dozen? party members if you pick the non-humans.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only nonhuman friends jack has right now are the goblin trio and a couple of people I picked up in shangri-la, like one of the little ghost sheet dudes (at least i hope they're just ghost sheet dudes and not goblin klansmen)

i should probably hit up the dark elves city when i start it up tonight and see who i can get

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I love the internal justification for Jack's decision to go human or non-human.

Non-human: "Ridley was acting really weird, I should follow her to make sure she's okay."
Human: "lol girls are weird I'm going back to sleep"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Colonel posted:

katsura hashino, man who said catherine: full body is the game he wanted to make but couldn't because of "cultural sensitivities of the time", isn't going to suddenly stop having weird ideas about lgbt people because some localization staff at atlus us got the green light from corporate higher-ups to make small tweaks to some scenes in persona 5 two years later in a rerelease

reminder that still the only version of catherine, including full body, that doesn't deadname erica, is a pc port commissioned by sega. which came out before full body.

if you want an actual example of devs kind of growing, look at yakuza, where they actually did just, outright remove homophobic and transphobic scenes, in both japan and the us, because they realized those scenes sucked

Understood.

-

Moving to something less controversial, is the PC port of Final Fantasy XII worth checking out? I never got that far in FF12 (I think that was the point where I got burned out on Final Fantasy), but it's one of those games where in retrospect, I don't feel like I gave it a really fair shot.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Max Wilco posted:

Understood.

-

Moving to something less controversial, is the PC port of Final Fantasy XII worth checking out? I never got that far in FF12 (I think that was the point where I got burned out on Final Fantasy), but it's one of those games where in retrospect, I don't feel like I gave it a really fair shot.

Same here. I remember HATING the combat system and what not. But thinking of it, I just really wanted another game like FFX. I also think that Xenoblade is my favorite RPG series and I've heard it's a lot like Xenoblade gameplay wise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXII is like really bad Xenoblade and Xenoblade isnt a great system.

Unless what you want from combat is wiggiling your thumbstick towards foes you will have a bad time

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really did not like the combat in 12 and I think people really oversold how much the combat system is improved with the zodiac job system stuff.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think I'm done with Shin Megami Tensei 2. It just gets way too cryptic and it's so obvious that they attempt to fill out the game with ridiculous and unfun backtracking. A shame since I'm halfway through the game. I need to get the torso corpse part from the underground prison area. I have all the other body parts. From people who have beaten the game, is it worth playing still? I loved the game up until the underworld.

Barudak posted:

FFXII is like really bad Xenoblade and Xenoblade isnt a great system.

Unless what you want from combat is wiggiling your thumbstick towards foes you will have a bad time

I like Xenoblade 2's combat system.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you didn't like it before, IZJS/ZA isn't going to change your mind.

But also don't take advice from someone who thinks DMC2 is better than 5.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

As someone who thinks DMC2 is very bad, FF12 is not very good

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I thought the Zodiac Job system would actually make FF12's combat engaging, but no, the classes are really samey except some use different weapons or have different spells, which seems like it could make for a lot of differentiation, but it's really not deep in the slightest. You can also gently caress yourself out of some spaces too like I did, since I think the esper spaces are unique and are occasionally the only way to progress through parts of the grid.

Like I don't know why they couldn't make the jobs feel different. Like they've made other games with Job systems, it shouldn't be this difficult!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I thought the Zodiac Job system would actually make FF12's combat engaging, but no, the classes are really samey except some use different weapons or have different spells, which seems like it could make for a lot of differentiation, but it's really not deep in the slightest. You can also gently caress yourself out of some spaces too like I did, since I think the esper spaces are unique and are occasionally the only way to progress through parts of the grid.

Like I don't know why they couldn't make the jobs feel different. Like they've made other games with Job systems, it shouldn't be this difficult!

The game wasn't originally built with jobs in mind so making jobs interesting would require a complete overhaul of the system. Most of the combat in the game is also you reading the forums on your phone while literally fast forwarding through endless thrash battles so it wouldn't make much difference even if the classes were different.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Andrast posted:

The game wasn't originally built with jobs in mind so making jobs interesting would require a complete overhaul of the system. Most of the combat in the game is also you reading the forums on your phone while literally fast forwarding through endless thrash battles so it wouldn't make much difference even if the classes were different.

I mean you can make a game with a gambit system that's also engaging mechanically (see: Pillars of Eternity 2), but yeah that would require some actual design work.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Andrast posted:

The job systems are mostly just restricting options from the original "everybody can get anything if you grind enough" upgrade board right?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I didn't see a general MMO thread, but holy poo poo piss this game looks incredible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtzsuQgSPsU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dunno why people always compare xenoblade's combat to FF12's, xenoblade is spamming cooldowns endlessly, whereas FF12 is passive RTWP

it's like saying xenoblade and yokai watch have the same combat

e: i like in radiata how if you choose nonhuman side, random encounters with guards will sometimes have former friends in the group. you get to kill all your old buddies! bye thanos, bye alicia

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 18, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i dunno why people always compare xenoblade's combat to FF12's, xenoblade is spamming cooldowns endlessly, whereas FF12 is passive RTWP

it's like saying xenoblade and yokai watch have the same combat
They both have combat systems where you can move your character around the enemy during combat and they will periodically automatically attack

and that's the only similarity you need! Totally the same game!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Finished the Banner of the Maid game, a few more thoughts, I guess.

1. The ending's kind of abrupt, but I guess that has to do somewhat with historical stuff (and dev resources of course); felt like they could have done a bit better since you just kind of transition off pretty quickly. Translation doesn't really get better, but it's serviceable. The plot as a whole is just kind of average, mostly wish there was more factional stuff (just want to hang out with my bro Robespierre)
2. Overall the art/spriting is very good and feels polished, I mean there's the usual anime stuff (which is YMMV) but nothing skeevy is done with it. Could live without the MC wardrobe change in the last few maps.
3. Light infantry still seems like the strongest class (also you get a lot of them, which helps).
4. The DLC is whatever but the whole game with the discount right now is like 20bux which is a pretty good steal if you like SRPGs and don't mind anime.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 18, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you didn't like it before, IZJS/ZA isn't going to change your mind.

But also don't take advice from someone who thinks DMC2 is better than 5.

This explains everything

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The 7th Guest posted:

imo i really like radiata stories's branching choice, because based on everything the game has presented so far you should very obviously go to the fairies, but then it straight up warns you that you'll lose all your human party members and won't be able to revisit any human towns, and by that point you've probably invested A Lot of time befriending human characters and learning their schedules and all that crap, and, i don't know, it's an interesting way of being all "Are you reaaaaally prepared to do the right thing, regardless of the consequences?"

Namnesor posted:

I love the internal justification for Jack's decision to go human or non-human.

Non-human: "Ridley was acting really weird, I should follow her to make sure she's okay."
Human: "lol girls are weird I'm going back to sleep"

It's more like
Non-human: "Wow my former co-worker that I knew for like two weeks and have seen like once in the months since I got fired stopped by and was acting kind of weird, I should definitely follow her and make sure she's ok even though she was pretty much a condescending jerk to me the whole time we worked together"
Human: "I don't have time to get into whatever her mess she's on about, I have to go to the war council meeting in the morning as part of my actual job"

Both options are completely reasonable for Jack to take in that moment imo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Amppelix posted:

They both have combat systems where you can move your character around the enemy during combat and they will periodically automatically attack

and that's the only similarity you need! Totally the same game!
the reality is that.. i liked rogue galaxy's action the most of the three, even though the dungeons were typical randomized ps2 dungeons... the combat was still solid and i enjoyed the game. FF12's combat is just there, but I liked the gambits and also letting my party fight while i looked around for chests.. and xenoblade's combat was just tedious and my least favorite

i liked FF12's world most though. i liked exploring all of it. i thought i'd like xenoblade's world and want to explore it, but then the story was boring and the combat got on my nerves

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah the gambit system means that the actual combat of XII is very whatever, but setting up gambits is fun in and of itself so it doesn't matter that much. the addition of a fast forward in international was honestly a stroke of genius, you can just skip the uninteresting part of watching your characters very slowly execute whatever combat strategy you've come up with and go straight to the part where you see if it worked.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

TurnipFritter posted:

It's more like
Non-human: "Wow my former co-worker that I knew for like two weeks and have seen like once in the months since I got fired stopped by and was acting kind of weird, I should definitely follow her and make sure she's ok even though she was pretty much a condescending jerk to me the whole time we worked together"
Human: "I don't have time to get into whatever her mess she's on about, I have to go to the war council meeting in the morning as part of my actual job"

Both options are completely reasonable for Jack to take in that moment imo.

that's giving Jack way too much credit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I like Xenoblade 2's combat system.

I really liked Xenoblade 2-2's combat system, Id happily play another game of that no question. Xenoblade 1 I wasnt a huge fan of which is what I thought you were talking about.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Its fun to set up your own little RPG party and watch them clear an entire dungeon in high speed.

I mean if Witcher 3 had an auto combat mode people would just use that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats not about auto combat being good thats about witcher 3's combat being bad

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

WaltherFeng posted:

I mean if Witcher 3 had an auto combat mode people would just use that.

Some people would, but just "people"? Naw, not a chance.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol @ radiata stories ending

also apparently people think humanity is wiped out in the nonhuman ending

why would jack and ridley go back to radiata city then. to clean up the mess??? that would be a depressing place to live, just go on a road trip instead

e: like seriously if you're forced to adam and eve it, go shack up in the forest town, they probably have some sort of gardening/farming chain already worked out

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 18, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Witcher 3 would be way better if it didn't have combat at all

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
clicking lmb to leap meanacingly at a dog

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FF12's gambit system would be good if it wasn't so incredibly shallow and the game actually had encounters designed around it

As it is the gambit system has enough depth for like a 3 hour game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Witcher 3's combat is..serviceable I guess, but it would be better if I could set Geralt on super-fire and then maybe climb onto a griffin? Just thinking outloud here.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The white wolf should be able to hunt in packs imo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

lol @ radiata stories ending

also apparently people think humanity is wiped out in the nonhuman ending

The nonhuman ending is literally just unfinished.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<random woman approach geralt in bath tub> Tis a big tree. Tis bigger up close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kanfy posted:

Some people would, but just "people"? Naw, not a chance.

some people like the combat in The Witcher, which I think is a symptom of like not having ever played dmc or something