Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

I know it's not the right movie, but any picture of Mayor Pete smiling gives me serious "android who will murder you by shoving a rolled up magazine down your throat" vibes.
I'm not a fan of the comic tbqh because it's basically :smug: in long-form, but Transmetropolian's "Smiler" character is absolutely Buttieg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not a fan of the comic tbqh because it's basically :smug: in long-form, but Transmetropolian's "Smiler" character is absolutely Buttieg.

Yeah someone on twitter posted a page where that character is going on a monologue about how he's going to be president because he hates you and wants you to suffer (or something like that, I'm not familiar with the comics tbh) and it was eery.

As a smug corporate rear end in a top hat, Pete could also be a decent Van Leuwen

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Transmetropolitan really isn't "good," but it's a competent cartoon and the stuff with the Smiler is very on-point for Clinton-esque corporate candidates.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Beet Wagon posted:

As a smug corporate rear end in a top hat, Pete could also be a decent Van Leuwen

Why won't you check out the black neighborhoods in South Bend?

Because we don't have to. The people who gentrified it after we forcibly tore down their houses down for disproportionately enforced code violations never reported any people of color.

What are you talking about, what gentrifiers?

White people. Rich people. We dislocate poor and working class people and move in luxury apartments and investment properties. It takes years. We call it "an economic miracle,."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:drat:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Owlbear Camus posted:

Why won't you check out the black neighborhoods in South Bend?

Because we don't have to. The people who gentrified it after we forcibly tore down their houses down for disproportionately enforced code violations never reported any people of color.

What are you talking about, what gentrifiers?

White people. Rich people. We dislocate poor and working class people and move in luxury apartments and investment properties. It takes years. We call it "an economic miracle,."

See also: that lady who goes "No, it's a rock. No indigenous life."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Actually, Gorman's actor was the only member of the original Marine cast in the movie (not counting Biehn, who was a last-minute replacement for another actor who got kicked out of the movie) not to go to the boot camp and weapons training they did for them as a team-bonding/method acting thing.

So that just makes him more Gorman-like.

You should have objected on the grounds of Gorman actually going out in a semi-brave manner, rather than the Burke method.

They did a similar trick for Saving Private by making Matt Damon's skip all the grueling boot camp training and other physical grueling excesses the rest of the cast had to experience.

This was to create a realistic resentment between the main squad and Matt Damon's character.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Jay_Zombie posted:

Shoot his bollocks off. That'll teach him!

It wouldn't. They'd grow back. No seriously. There was a comic book follow up to Salvation of course and Marcus comes back, his body regrew a new heart. So yeah, his body has a healing factor going on, only it's not speedy.

And on that fun fact back to Aliens.

So I was looking at my copy of The book of Alien Augmented Reality Survival Manual and it basically straight up says yeah the company knew about the alien ship, they even had decoded the warning. Ash was straight up put there for that purpose. I know most of us thought that was the case but it's the first time I've seen anything official to actually confirm it to be true. Kinda surprised me as didn't expect that. Oh and turns out Kane had a serious drug and alcoholic problem that lead to him to getting stuck on the ship, probably after a bunch of gently caress ups.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm surprised no one posted this yet during the brief political aside...

"Iowa was a bad call, a bad call"
"Those people were disenfranchised!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anyone else thinking about Aliens right now?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Iron Crowned posted:

Anyone else thinking about Aliens right now?

I was actually thinking about Terminator, but now I'm thinking about Terminator VS Aliens.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jay_Zombie posted:

I was actually thinking about Terminator, but now I'm thinking about Terminator VS Aliens.

There’s an Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator comic.

It’s dogshit and I strongly suggest you not think about it.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

There’s an Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator comic.

It’s dogshit and I strongly suggest you not think about it.

Now I'm thinking about all the awesome 80's sci-fi franchises that have become utter poo poo to the point where we'll never see another decent installment. And it makes me sad.

T-1000 vs Alien would have been sweet. :(
Would acid blood affect mimetic polyalloy?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jay_Zombie posted:

Now I'm thinking about all the awesome 80's sci-fi franchises that have become utter poo poo to the point where we'll never see another decent installment. And it makes me sad.

T-1000 vs Alien would have been sweet. :(
Would acid blood affect mimetic polyalloy?

Depends on the acid and what the mimetic polyalloy is made of. Alien acid is a nebulous wonder material that kind of does/doesn’t burn through stuff with varying intensities depending on what the plot requires at that moment, and the closest thing to an “official” real-world chemical description we’ve been given is some sort of HCl/HF combination.

‘Terminator Genisys’ has a scene where they straight up kill a T-1000 using acid so my guess is “yes”?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

RoboCop vs. Terminator was... tolerable by the standards of those old Dark Horse kitchen sink crossovers, if for no other reason than they used the conceit of the crossover to drive the conflict (in a grandfather paradox skynet sends agents back to force Murphy to merge conscious with Skynet, which is what makes it self aware.)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The video game was also pretty great.

Edit— a list of good Aliens/Predator crossovers:

Batman vs Predator (the first one, although the second one has a bit where a Predator can’t see Mr Freeze with his thermal vision which was a clever idea)

Judge Dredd vs Aliens (and to a lesser degree, Judge Dredd vs Predator). Both are notable for actually being “canon” to the mainline Dredd universe, with characters that have returned in non-crossover contexts.

Batman vs Aliens, if only for the crocodile-Alien

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 17, 2020

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Owlbear Camus posted:

RoboCop vs. Terminator was... tolerable by the standards of those old Dark Horse kitchen sink crossovers, if for no other reason than they used the conceit of the crossover to drive the conflict (in a grandfather paradox skynet sends agents back to force Murphy to merge conscious with Skynet, which is what makes it self aware.)

Are we talking about the one with the Walt Simonson art? Because that alone elevates it above "tolerable".

Batman vs Predator is also way better than it has any right to be

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Did anyone actually read Green Lantern vs. Aliens? It was Kyle Rayner back in the late 90s and I regret not really digging into it when I had the chance.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I remember it actually being pretty good, but I’m planning to re-read it tonight just to make sure I’m remembering it right. It’s written by Ron Marz and historically he’s pretty on the ball.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Depends on the acid and what the mimetic polyalloy is made of. Alien acid is a nebulous wonder material that kind of does/doesn’t burn through stuff with varying intensities depending on what the plot requires at that moment, and the closest thing to an “official” real-world chemical description we’ve been given is some sort of HCl/HF combination.

‘Terminator Genisys’ has a scene where they straight up kill a T-1000 using acid so my guess is “yes”?

Oh, ok. I never saw Genisys. I suppose at some point, I'll have to subject myself to Terminator: Khaleesi Edition.

Xenomrph posted:

Batman vs Predator (the first one, although the second one has a bit where a Predator can’t see Mr Freeze with his thermal vision which was a clever idea)

Judge Dredd vs Aliens (and to a lesser degree, Judge Dredd vs Predator). Both are notable for actually being “canon” to the mainline Dredd universe, with characters that have returned in non-crossover contexts.

Man, I played the hell out of RoboCop VS Terminator when I was a kid.
I mean, I was terrible at it, and I think I never made it past where you go into the future. But I still tried. That ED-209 gun was my favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AriR1qWTHig

Also Alien3 on SNES was good. I think we're mentioned that one before. And yet another game that I was poo poo at and never really progressed in, but I didn't care.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmWbOkAR8fA

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Is there a convention for Aliens fans?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

You weren't into Batman vs Aliens 2, where a secret organisation was using DNA from Arkham inmates and xenomorphs to make soldiers to take on super-powered humans?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean that's stupid as gently caress, but like if you're going to play with those action figures you might as well go for it and I would have done the same

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jay_Zombie posted:

Oh, ok. I never saw Genisys. I suppose at some point, I'll have to subject myself to Terminator: Khaleesi Edition.
I liked Genisys more than most, it does a bunch of shot-for-shot recreations of scenes from ‘The Terminator’ and it’s pretty slick. They did some new and interesting things with Arnold’s character that felt like a logical extension of the concept if the Terminator from T2 hadn’t died and had stuck around as a “father figure”, and turning John Connor into the bad guy was a novel twist. Also the visual effects for the evil Terminator were cool and unique, and they did some neat stuff with him.

Here’s the scene where they kill the T-1000, the way he melts in the acid is a pretty cool effect and you get the sense that he doesn’t understand what’s going on and you almost pity him in death.

https://youtu.be/LTfMvliqiGk

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I liked Genisys more than most, it does a bunch of shot-for-shot recreations of scenes from ‘The Terminator’ and it’s pretty slick. They did some new and interesting things with Arnold’s character that felt like a logical extension of the concept if the Terminator from T2 hadn’t died and had stuck around as a “father figure”, and turning John Connor into the bad guy was a novel twist. Also the visual effects for the evil Terminator were cool and unique, and they did some neat stuff with him.

Here’s the scene where they kill the T-1000, the way he melts in the acid is a pretty cool effect and you get the sense that he doesn’t understand what’s going on and you almost pity him in death.

Ok, that was not bad. I might have to give it a watch. I was, unfortunately, totally soured on post T2 films after the flop that was T3.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

Jay_Zombie posted:

Haven't been paying much attention have you?

This thread is at least like, 30% horny posting.

90%

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Uh, what is this from?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Android Apocalypse posted:

Uh, what is this from?

I believe it was the viral marketing for ‘Prometheus’, there were a bunch of crew evaluation videos and things.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

mind the walrus posted:

Did anyone actually read Green Lantern vs. Aliens? It was Kyle Rayner back in the late 90s and I regret not really digging into it when I had the chance.

Kyle was the best Green Lantern, and this was a good book.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I don't care about the Terminator franchise enough to hate Genysis, but I will admit it's curious to see a US blockbuster so blatantly designed for the Chinese market to the point where it wasn't afraid to alienate said US market.

I feel bad about Dark Fate though. It had its heart in the right place, but like... loving seriously no one outside of the rights-holders gives a gently caress about Terminator in 2001, let alone 2019. Mackenzie Davis is awesome and deserves way better.

Keltar posted:

Kyle was the best Green Lantern, and this was a good book.
My man.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I believe it was the viral marketing for ‘Prometheus’, there were a bunch of crew evaluation videos and things.

Some of those teasers were pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ7E7Qp-s-8

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

See, my overriding impression of Jannahsus was that the first 20-odd minutes felt like the movie was going "You know, there are two incredible movies from this series you could have been watching instead, but hey, you chose to waste your time with this. Way to go, champ. *golf clap*"

Also, Emilia Clarke just looked like a kid playing dress-up as Sarah Connor.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jesus "Kyle Reese" whining at the end of that scene for the sake of a weak gag.

Actual Kyle Reese would have been fine with the footbullet or just bathing him and the doppelganger in acid just to be sure.

It is a cool kill though. The movie doesn't justify it's existence but has some fun monents that are "what if time and Intel was on your side preparing for Terminators. The acid bath, just murking the '84 Terminator from ambush with an antimateriel rifle (after letting gramps inexplicably gently caress around with a shotgun everyone knows can't hurt it.)

And then in the most nonsensical time travel plot point of the series, two healthy young people decide they need to use a time machine... to travel forward in time a few decades, to the night of judgement day. Instead of just using the method we all have of forward time travel and making sure they had ample time to train prep and equip.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m guessing the time jump forward was a cost-saving contrivance so the movie didn’t end up being a 1980s period piece, and so Arnold doesn’t have to spend the whole movie in de-aging makeup.

Yeah it’s a weak excuse :shrug:

Also I’m willing to forgive the ineffective shotgun based on the Rule of Cool, because seeing two Arnolds throw down was a pretty cool idea. I mean if you wanted to explain why he bothers, maybe he was baiting young Arnold into position so Sarah could snipe him I guess?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

That should have been the entire marketing campaign for the film.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PhotoKirk posted:

That should have been the entire marketing campaign for the film.

Yeah that was really cool.

Although that just reminded me that I hated that Prometheus was far more advanced than Alien. They should have made David make a bunch of mistakes that'd give him away or some sort of "bug" or something. He's better than Ash and possibly Bishop. At least in terms of blending in. They gave him an understanding of human emotions and also said that he can do "unethical" things which is probably something they phased out in later models like Bishop.

I just didn't like that the prequel seems more advanced, in some ways, than the space trucker Alien.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 18, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I complained about that poo poo in 1999 with The Phantom Menace too. I can let it go if the movie itself is good, but sci-fi prequels are basically never good.

Also inb4 :goonsay: "Well actually the Nostromo is just a bunch of space truckers and it's actually even more realistic if the tech for a super secret mission is advanced but the working class people are stuck with retrograde analog technology"

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

mind the walrus posted:

Also inb4 :goonsay: "Well actually the Nostromo is just a bunch of space truckers and it's actually even more realistic if the tech for a super secret mission is advanced but the working class people are stuck with retrograde analog technology"

It’s me, i want the same thing over and over again, I smart

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They should have made David make a bunch of mistakes that'd give him away or some sort of "bug" or something. He's better than Ash and possibly Bishop. At least in terms of blending in. They gave him an understanding of human emotions and also said that he can do "unethical" things which is probably something they phased out in later models like Bishop.

It does add some credence to the line about A2's being a bit twitchy.

David used a crew member as a science experiment, I'd say that falls into the "just a bit twitchy" category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sand maggot posted:

It’s me, i want the same thing over and over again, I smart
So go watch Covenant :smug:

(that's you, that's how you sound)