Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
she is very lucky to have a considerate roommate that is leaving on amicable terms and giving a heads up as opposed to metaphorically burning the house down on their way out like one of my ex roommates

I don't know if there are any legal issues with your leaving that she can claim on or if it's s frustrated bluff though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Captain Invictus posted:

she is very lucky to have a considerate roommate that is leaving on amicable terms and giving a heads up as opposed to metaphorically burning the house down on their way out like one of my ex roommates

I don't know if there are any legal issues with your leaving that she can claim on or if it's s frustrated bluff though

In my eyes, she has nothing to gain by pursuing legal action.
I have nothing.
Zip, nil, squatch, zero.
So what does she have to gain?
Is it a pride thing?
Is it spite?
I don't understand.

EDIT:
We were always good friends, we've known each other since we were in grade 8.
We are coming up on 32 now.
We've always gotten along, even the whole time we've been living together.
So this response has come out from left field.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Feb 7, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why don't you both just break the lease? Or find a sublet for her to take your place?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why don't you both just break the lease? Or find a sublet for her to take your place?

These are both good ideas, my wise friend.
However, I've already suggested both to her, hence why I'm apparently now being threatened.
This apartment has become a toxic environment, with doors being slammed and constant bickering.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I told her that I love her, and she is one of my best friends.
She told me that I am dead to her.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eeesh. Call the landlord and tell them you're leaving, move out, and stop responding to her until things chill down. It may break the friendship forever, but if you can't keep going that's on her not you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I told her that I love her, and she is one of my best friends.
She told me that I am dead to her.
She is having a meltdown, just leave. If she winds up contacting you later and tries to continue as if nothing happened, if the first thing she does is try to sweep this awful behavior under the rug, if the first words aren't a genuine apology for being such a poo poo, then she is not serious, don't fall for that.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

But how do I rectify the threat of legal action being taken against me?
I could move out tomorrow.
Hell, I could move out right now.
But I've paid my rent until the end of this month, so to leave now seems like a waste of money.
And like...
What should I do about lawyers getting involved?
I owe her nothing, it'll end up being between our landlord and myself.
Is she just being spiteful?
Am I wrong?
I don't understand.

EDIT:

I have been nothing but respectfully quiet the entire time we've lived together.
And when I move back in with my parents, definitely not something I want to do at 32 years old, I will be respectfully quiet there as well.
I just...
I just....
I don't get it.
I try and try and try to be a good person.
I try so hard, yet I am threatened with legal action by someone I thought was my friend.
She told me I've been acting childish, and I've apologized.
Many times.
Because I know I have been
Then I tell her I love her.
And she tells me that I am "dead to" her.
Yet I still love her.
I can't help but love her.
I can't help but love anyone who is deserving of love.
Even if they don't realize it.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Feb 7, 2020

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I filed my taxes last week and got the refund already. Now I'm loving paranoid I messed up because the return was larger than last year by about a grand and I am waiting for a letter from the IRS that I owe the money back.

Good news. The IRS has been so gutted and neutered by the Republicans, that they don't have even remotely the kind of manpower it would take to go after someone in your situation, if you had made a mistake.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I got woken up at 11:40 last night by some kid asking about if I have his AirPods. I being barely awake because I’m an adult, why the hell would I be up that late? Said no, I have no idea about AirPods and shut the door.

So I got a completely crap sleep because of that.

Isn’t over though.

Kid and his mom come in this morning, and this time I’m more appreciative that at least they came at a time when I can actually function and at least offer to look for stuff. I explicitly tell the kid and his mom that they should maybe never be waking people up about this poo poo and to do it at more reasonable time. I let them look around my backyard for a bit and come up with nothing. The mom then says she is probably gonna have to call the cops and all I can muster is “go for it, I don’t have it, so I don’t know what I can do for you at this point. They’re not gonna find them either because they’re not here”

So my night and morning have been dealing with this poo poo, and honestly I just hate Apple for putting in a “your AirPods are in this general location” thing so people can lose them and then be gigantic twats about it because from what I’ve now read about the tracking software it’s more like “hey this accurate in that it could still be like, a house or two away”

In short, gently caress people, and gently caress Apple for making stupid little headphones which people seem to can’t get enough of but lose constantly.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My latest depressive episode is manifesting as intense heartbreak even though absolutely nothing happened and I hate it.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?
Just found out my grandma has been diagnosed with advanced Alzheimer's and is being moved into memory care home. I knew things were bad when I saw her at Christmas and she couldn't remember my name. Despite being 92 my grandpa is still very sharp and active and I know it is devastating him that his wife of 70 years is wasting away and there isn't anything he can do.

Got a call from my sister two days ago that a one of our second cousin's dad had died. Despite not being directly related, we had known him our whole lives and he had always been well liked by everyone. He had pretty bad Parkinson's disease and had started swimming for therapy. Late last week he was pulled out of the pool by the lifeguard and had been in a coma ever since. His family took him off life support and he passed on Wednesday. They think he had a stroke when swimming since there was no water found in his lungs. I hope that the lifeguard isn't blaming himself...

I guess by comparison my wife's cancer diagnosis last week wasn't too bad. Very early stage 1 uterine cancer. Kids were never in the picture, so she is leaning towards a hysterectomy which should remove all traces of the cancer. Despite having a positive outlook, cancer is a loving scary word to hear someone you love say.

It has been a rough couple of weeks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was supposed to have closed on my refinancing this past monday. Instead, SLS found a "discrepancy" in payments from last year when bank of America transferred the mortgage to SLS and suddenly put on hold the refi, when all the paperwork and everything had been done. Lots of phone calls today between three separate companies on conference calls trying to sort this poo poo out. Might result in the refi being delayed 4-6 months, and we need this poo poo done NOW. loving mortgage companies are scum.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My Lyme symptoms flared back up with so much force today I broke down crying at work several times.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A cat ran out of the fog directly under my car’s wheels on my way in to work this morning. :smith:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Sentient Data posted:

My game is complete and I just placed my first big-boy order

36 shrink-wrapped tarot-sized cards, a z-fold instruction sheet, 12 double-sided 25mm punch-out tokens, 16 double-sided 18mm punch-out tokens, and 6 dice inside a 2-part shrink-wrapped box ready for shelves. I'm exhausted.

If you want to get a feel for it, this is the PDF that I'll be uploading to as many pirate sites as I can find. If you have access to any appropriate invite-only groups/trackers, you're welcome to share/seed http://www.buddingheroes.com/pdf/budding-heroes-starter-kit.pdf

Sentient Data on 02/05 posted:

Good morning! I hope you had a good holiday and that everyone is healthy. Can you provide an update on when the printing will be complete?

Harsh Reality posted:

Hi [Sentient Data],

Thank you and hope you are very well.

For the production status, only the dices have been packed. Others will be print when the factory starts to work.

If the factory starts to work on February 10, then estimate finished date on March 1

Unfornately the terrible new type of corona virus in China now, the state requires all people to isolate themselves at home and stop going out, so our factory can not work normally as usual. The state proposes that the date of initial resumption of work is February 10, but this date is not certain, if the factory start without any permission from the state, maybe they will be severely punished. Because it is the high incidence of the virus now, and there is no drug to control it, so we still need to listening to the party's instructions. Hope you can understanding our status. I'm sorry for the inconvenience brought to our customers. I hope this virus can be controlled as soon as possible, and then we can work happily as before, and bring better services to our customers.

Any updates will keep you posted.

Best Regards,
[Manufacturer]

No word on if the factory opened yet. Order was placed a little before Chinese new year, then poo poo hit the fan. I know I'm being selfish, but that order was equivalent to multiple months of living expenses, and I'm eager to try to make a future and get out of this rut.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

My drivers door latch broke, so now i cant shut or lock it. it just swings wide so i need to hold it shut while driving. hope i can pull out the latch and refurbish it, because gently caress me, i dont have money for a part.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
My car stalled out when I pulled into my parking spot at work this morning and now Ive found out that it's completely dead. The entire engine is blown. No compression on any cylinder. I have no car at all. I also have literally $0 in savings and i don't know what I'm going to do? I don't even know how I'm getting home tonight and back to work tomorrow? I kind of want to just loving die?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

My car stalled out when I pulled into my parking spot at work this morning and now Ive found out that it's completely dead. The entire engine is blown. No compression on any cylinder. I have no car at all. I also have literally $0 in savings and i don't know what I'm going to do? I don't even know how I'm getting home tonight and back to work tomorrow? I kind of want to just loving die?

You don't have PMs. How did things work out for you tonight?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Pastry of the Year posted:

You don't have PMs. How did things work out for you tonight?

thanks for asking -- after some time to process and calm down i realized how lucky it is that i work at a shop and she died there rather than anywhere else, and i should be able to obtain a loan for a couple thousand to put a new (used) engine in her as long as the guys say that her frame is still good. The work will cost about $1600 but that's still inexpensive compared to finding and buying a replacement vehicle that runs well and getting the paperwork done at the dmv etc, and I can in fact get my hands on that even if only via usury, so I really hope the exam we have scheduled for after lunch today will not show any advanced frame rot etc that we haven't been noticing during oil changes. It's not really the end of the world; I just have brain problems and catastrophize A LOT, OBVIOUSLY. e: and i was able to borrow a car for a couple days, and I'll work something out after that. the repairs will take a while but I'm sure in a calmer mood I'll find a way

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Feb 19, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
The gears in the handle on one of the windows in my apartment needed some greasing so I went and bought a small can of the stuff. I used too much and had to wipe it clean a few times, but that's okay, it worked. But the handle was also loose on the outside, so I took it back off and smacked it a few times to tighten it (which is apparently how it's supposed to be done with this particular mechanism according to my landlord, and it works every time). I did this over the sink and went and screwed the thing back onto the window. Then I noticed that by smacking it some of the excess grease had splashed a bit into the sink and a little on the counter as well. I wiped it clean.

Then I thought, what if it also splashed onto my clothes and I didn't notice? I took off my sweater and looked it over and it seemed clean. I thought, maybe it somehow got onto my t-shirt? I took that off and it seemed clean too. Then I checked my jeans. Then I thought, maybe it got on the silverware and plates that were out to dry by the sink. I looked them over, resisting the urge to wash them all again. I checked the counter. I checked the floor. I checked the cupboards in the area. Everything was clean. I cleaned it again anyway. I sat back down with my cup of tea and realized I didn't check the mirror. So I did, and my face was clean. I sat back down. Got up, washed my face, sat down. Thought maybe it got into my hair, and I'll get it all over the pillow and sheets tonight. Wavered for ten minutes, trying really hard to resist. Failed. Took a shower, washed my hair. Made another cup of tea, sat down.

That little can of grease is sitting on the table a few meters away because I don't have a better place for it in this tiny apartment. I hate the sight of it, and I hate myself. Who cares if a tiny little bit of grease maybe hit the floor and then I stepped on it with my house socks, why do I now have to check my socks from every angle over and over again. Who gives a poo poo for gently caress's sake.

edit: I used some hand cream and now my brain keeps trying to convince me that my hands feel slick because I got some of that grease on them rather than it being the cream. gently caress off brain.

Sway Grunt has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Feb 26, 2020

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Sadie was a good dog. 💔

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That is loving me right up because Sadie was the name of my old dog I had to put down relatively recently, but your dog also looks like my remaining dog (but fatter), Rosie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm noticing that the charging chord for my phone battery is a little worn and I'm worried it's going to break. It's especially annoying because it's a fast-charging cord and the other charging cord I have isn't a fast-charging one. Money is a bit tight right now, so spending some cash to a) go to the store and buy one or b) buy it online is a bit more pricey because of delivery/etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Appraiser came to check out my house as required for refinancing. Fairly cordial, but clearly in a hurry. He went up into the attic to take photos and when he went to come back down he almost fell down the stairs and hurt his back from pulling a muscle when he caught himself. Now I'm worried he's going to give our house a poor rating or something and we won't get the refi, whether it's a rational fear or not. He didn't hang around to ask questions or anything, he was in and out within a half hour after being 20 minutes late, the last appraisal guy who came was there for nearly two hours and methodically checked out everything. It's probably nothing but my anxiety won't let me let it go.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Appraiser came to check out my house as required for refinancing. Fairly cordial, but clearly in a hurry. He went up into the attic to take photos and when he went to come back down he almost fell down the stairs and hurt his back from pulling a muscle when he caught himself. Now I'm worried he's going to give our house a poor rating or something and we won't get the refi, whether it's a rational fear or not. He didn't hang around to ask questions or anything, he was in and out within a half hour after being 20 minutes late, the last appraisal guy who came was there for nearly two hours and methodically checked out everything. It's probably nothing but my anxiety won't let me let it go.

They're just gonna price it like the comps and call it a day. So long as similar homes as yours have been selling around you for a good price you'll probably be OK.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hope so. and houses around ours have been selling for about 50% above what ours is zillow'd at, likely because the siding looks horrible, which this refinancing hopefully will provide us the means to fix. That it'll be like another month before we know is the killer for me. But I hope you're right. If it goes as planned and they just go through with what the bank offered, that'd be just fine with me.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Mar 2, 2020

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Despite the prospect of a new job where I have very good potential vertical mobility, coworkers that I already know and hang out with via Dungeons and Dragons, and a good pay increase, my anxiety and depression are so out of control that it’s taking everything I have to not immediately reach out and decline the second round interview for the position. My good friend who recommended me to the position is highly thought of at the workplace, furthering fueling my fears that I’ll gently caress it up. I also spilled my guts about my being nonsensically terrified to this friend, who proceeded to very kindly tell me everything opposite of what I wanted or needed to hear. Nothing rude, no judgement, just every single thing I said was met with something that made me feel like I was talking right past him.

I’ve been taking my usual dosage of anti-anxiety medication with no results, and am constantly having panic attacks. I just want to be calm, but I’m losing it over very small molehills.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

got the engine installed and the door latch broke... had to duct tape my door shut to drive home lmao. but hell at least i drove

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Work in general, especially the pace we're going at & the lack of planning or communication about everything.

We got word that the company may be leasing another building but that fell through. At the same time, we have 150 people who'll be working remote from home, but we don't even have the hardware inventory to support it yet. The managers who want it all set up haven't even sent us any list of people who will be going home despite wanting them ready by no later than end of March & our most recent computer/monitor order through Dell got delayed by a week. On top of it all my boss dropped cell phone provisioning & upgrading duties on me with almost zero training on how to do it or how the site works, then turned around & emailed like 20 people telling them all we wanted to get them upgraded in the next 2 weeks. This on top of last week on Tuesday when we had a request for 45 users to be given work-from-home computers by Friday for upcoming mandatory overtime, which is why our inventory got wiped out completely. Managers also didn't give us the list of who was going home until Thursday morning so we had to rush to build, name & deploy PCs out in less than 48 hours.

There's talk of potentially hiring another 200+ people by mid April & our whole team is already burned out. I found out last week in my bi-weekly 1 on 1 with the manager that I did the most tickets for the month of February alone, just shy of 350. The next person below me had about 181, everyone else was between 120-150. We're also in the middle of upgrading our VPN client to a new app for all users (over 1100 total, in town & remote in other states), plus the server team is migrating data to a newer, faster server in the middle of it all. I swear some days I want to hang myself from a doorknob, this place is a clusterfuck :smithicide:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I recommend working less hard and not worrying about it. I used to be like you friend until I remembered one simple truth. If you died they’d have someone take your place by next week.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I'm working hard...on finding another job. Had 2 phone interviews this week & an in-person tomorrow morning. Took the next 2 days off, because gently caress it, I'm burned out & have taken the least amount of time (vacation & sick combined) in the last year of anyone on the team. On the upside I've built up enough PTO that I could give my 2 weeks & take all of it off before starting a new job, which I'm seriously considering. Sucks to be them but they'll have to learn the hard way that the way they're running business isn't working & other people need to cut the bullshit with dragging their loving feet.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Take the 2 weeks pto and then give your notice on the day you return, hopefully they kick you out immediately and pay your extra 2 weeks anyway since it'd be obvious you're checked out, but more importantly they can't drop you and deny your pto/sick/etc

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Use all your sick time, then your vacation, then put in your notice. They may pay your vacation if you leave, but definitely not sick time. Gotta use that up first.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have an impending layoff but I have no idea when. I’m in this weird area where I want to make all the money I can before it happens but I’m also loving exhausted and just want to get told I’m done. I have to go in an hour early tomorrow and have a 12 hour day on Monday and just thinking about either one is exhausting.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this counts or is more of a FWP, but I accidentally dropped a chip on the floor and can't find it. What makes this more than just a mild annoyance is that there's a bug in the general area where I dropped the thing that I cant seem to find/dispose of, so I don't want to be feeding the drat thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're just gonna price it like the comps and call it a day. So long as similar homes as yours have been selling around you for a good price you'll probably be OK.
so this guy dropped the value by nearly 50 grand solely because of the siding looking bad(which it does). he says in his report the house is well-maintained in and out besides that but did not reference like, the roof being brand new, all new appliances and a new shower, new furnace and water heater, everything. surely that sort of poo poo should increase the value. we're contesting his appraisal because the other appraisal we had done a few months ago for the other potential refinancing, where the guy did a thorough walkthrough for 2 hours and sat down and discussed everything was substantially, positively different from his. I loving hope we don't get screwed because of this guy being in a rush and hurting himself and holding it against us. a 50 grand drop is loving absurdly massive just because the siding isn't good, and he also based the baseline value off of houses literally halfway across town rather than in our neighborhood, claiming the houses around ours(a 2-story former farmhouse) are comparable sizes, when the majority of them are 1-story ranch houses.

This is absolutely the last thing I needed today. I can't believe this piece of poo poo.

this is really making me totally despair on top of everything else that's happened this week. this might totally gently caress the second loving refi because of this guy's poor appraisal. I refuse to believe he did an adequate job when he did not ask any questions and was there less than a half hour.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Mar 5, 2020

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

so this guy dropped the value by nearly 50 grand solely because of the siding looking bad(which it does). he says in his report the house is well-maintained in and out besides that but did not reference like, the roof being brand new, all new appliances and a new shower, new furnace and water heater, everything. surely that sort of poo poo should increase the value. we're contesting his appraisal because the other appraisal we had done a few months ago for the other potential refinancing, where the guy did a thorough walkthrough for 2 hours and sat down and discussed everything was substantially, positively different from his. I loving hope we don't get screwed because of this guy being in a rush and hurting himself and holding it against us. a 50 grand drop is loving absurdly massive just because the siding isn't good, and he also based the baseline value off of houses literally halfway across town rather than in our neighborhood, claiming the houses around ours(a 2-story former farmhouse) are comparable sizes, when the majority of them are 1-story ranch houses.

This is absolutely the last thing I needed today. I can't believe this piece of poo poo.

this is really making me totally despair on top of everything else that's happened this week. this might totally gently caress the second loving refi because of this guy's poor appraisal. I refuse to believe he did an adequate job when he did not ask any questions and was there less than a half hour.

If you have to contest it, bring these points up immediately with whomever needs to know it. Maybe they can have someone else do a more thorough appraisal & find out why the guy you got went through everything so fast. Who knows, he may have a track record of this kind of poo poo & they can look at his past appraisals to find out if he did his due diligence or just rushed through them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He showed up 25 minutes late and was there less than a half hour with zero questions, I don't know if bank of america does that as standard with their appraisals, but it was super sus.

on the other hand, the refi from the other place, that I have been suffering through dealing with since loving AUGUST, just notified they're almost ready to close. so while that's not as good a deal as the initial offering from BoA, the current deal from BoA went from 41,000 potential cash withdrawal in the equity to 7,000 after this poo poo appraisal. so I think I'm just gonna say gently caress it, take the hit, and go with the sure-fire offer from the other lender if they agree to it since that might be done and dusted within a week or two. if they don't...I don't know what I'll do.

I want to drag that lovely appraiser screaming into the street, but if this closes and we get the other offer then I might just call it done and stop thinking about it entirely, because my anxiety can't handle this poo poo right now. Family emergency, everything surrounding the election rigging, and then this within the span of two days is doing a major number on my mental state, haven't been this low and despairing in a looooong time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've got this fine patina of dirt (or dirt-adjacent stuff) on the back of my hands. I used to get it all the time (never really found the cause, still haven't), and I'm not super thrilled to have to re-add "scrub the poo poo out of the back of my hands" to my cleaning regimen.

It'd be one thing if I knew what was happening, but this is the back of my hands! I'm not pimp-slapping unclean surfaces!