Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

IIRC Butterbean went into that match expecting to take the fall and cash his check and was surprised when they told him it that, yes, this is an actual shoot

Same logic Inoki used when he sent Nagata into face Cro cop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sandman McMahon posted:

Brutus Beefcake has to be up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7OPKZLrOTs

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Top 18??? was there more? I haven't watched it yet because I need a good laugh tomorrow morning

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Benne posted:

IIRC Butterbean went into that match expecting to take the fall and cash his check and was surprised when they told him it that, yes, this is an actual shoot

Not only did he offer to lose, he apparently went backstage really happy after the win because he was under the impression the WWE was going to bring him on as a fulltime talent.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
If you slow down that video, I think you can pinpoint the exact moment where Bart Gunn's soul leaves his body.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hirez posted:

yea, now imagine that vs JBL :swoon:
when it came out that JBL basically bullied Mauro out of his first WWE run, I really liked when someone cut his B4A knockout with Mauro calling a boxing match

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hirez posted:

Godfather was a face at some point right? As a pimp with a ho train, I don't know how but knowing the attitude era he was prolly over as hell as a Pimp.

I'm pretty sure a pimp could always get over in any time or promotion. They're out there with a bunch of sexy women.

I watched the Hardy Boys and Lita vs. T&A and Trish from Fully Loaded 2000 the other day and was like "of course they don't boo Trish. She might be a heel but she also has huge boobs." And sure enough the crowd just chanted about "we want puppies!" for most of it. But then at the end I was impressed they got genuine heat on Trish for her whipping Lita.

It just made me wonder how the audience changed over the last twenty years. You can't force these things as seen with folks like Roman. And yet when was the last time there was a crowd chant for puppies? So obviously things have changed substantially.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd totally cheer for Roman if he had some cute dogs with him

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Hirez posted:

has there been any wrestler that transformed gimmicks (including name more (and not just for a few weeks run or whatever), cause thats alot.

Kane is up there I guess, with Isaak Yankem, Kane; Corporate Kane*. Glen Jacobs. I think he was something else at one point too

Fake Diesel, that lasted more than a few weeks, right ? I guess the Christmas Creature wouldn't count though, besides that was in, uhm, USWA ?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Andrast posted:

I'd totally cheer for Roman if he had some cute dogs with him

This works for Solo Darling

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the other day i reposted something that was posted in a big post a few posts above that post. didn't notice until now. sorry

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Endless Mike posted:

This works for Solo Darling

Officer Magnum is the hardest worker in independent wrestling.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Bad Wolf posted:

Fake Diesel, that lasted more than a few weeks, right ? I guess the Christmas Creature wouldn't count though, besides that was in, uhm, USWA ?
For some reason, I have the idea in my head that Fake Diesel and Fake Razor were dropped almost immediately, but apparently they kept trotting those guys out on TV for four months? And even longer on house shows??

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My memory is that they dropped them as a feature thing and Jim Ross' whole weird part of it after a few weeks but yeah, they hung around for awhile just as a midcard/jobber tag team. You'd forget about them and then they'd pop up in a battle royal or something and you'd go "oh yeah, that nonsense."

The fact that for awhile there WCW had the sole reputation as "the stupid one who did really embarrassingly stupid poo poo" from the Monday Night Wars is a real testament to "to the victor goes the spoils."

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

This was outstanding and truly mind-boggling. I had forgotten just how many name changes he underwent in WCW. I have no memory of the short-lived Furface/Mariner gimmick, though.

Kudos to him for staying in shape for so long – he still looked pretty loving good when he was The Disciple, even if he was never really all that good in the ring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In terms of a wrestler successfully adopting multiple gimmicks no one has done it more successfully than Dick Beyer. Dick was a fairly well known mid card wrestler under his real name, was repackage in LA as The Destroyer and became one of the biggest stars in the world. Then, despite being known as The Destroyer he was repackaged as Dr. X in the AWA. To hide his identity (beyond just the difference in mask) he changed up his in ring style so people wouldn't catch on to who he was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I only have a passing familiarity with The Destroyer. Why did the AWA want to repackage him?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I only have a passing familiarity with The Destroyer. Why did the AWA want to repackage him?

Gagne's logic was "everybody knows The Destroyer is Dick Beyer!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Gagne's logic was "everybody knows The Destroyer is Dick Beyer!"

I mean that was probably true in Japan..

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Was an arm wrestling match ever a blow off to a feud?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Moe_Rahn posted:

For some reason, I have the idea in my head that Fake Diesel and Fake Razor were dropped almost immediately, but apparently they kept trotting those guys out on TV for four months? And even longer on house shows??

Fun fact: Fake Razor has more Royal Rumble appearances than Scott Hall

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Punch McLightning posted:

Was an arm wrestling match ever a blow off to a feud?

Braun/Lashley had one in the go home before their ppv blowoff I think... if that counts, I hate remember WWE 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hirez posted:

Braun/Lashley had one in the go home before their ppv blowoff I think... if that counts, I hate remember WWE 2019

Don't forget the legendary HHH/Scott Steiner buildup. Things will be better when Paul takes over.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm still trying to understand why there was a brief arm wrestling fad in 1987.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm still trying to understand why there was a brief arm wrestling fad in 1987.

Is it result of Over The Top or the other way around?

It only made $16m so who knows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was the most logically way to show off your rad wrist and head bands at the same time.

You had to be in the 80s to understand them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You’d think the Fly would’ve tempered that craze a bit.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

What would you direct me to if I asked to Cactus Jack's best work? As it is, I only really know a few of his matches (namely him V HHH and that one RAW where he kicked the poo poo out of two dudes at once in a handicap streetfight.)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShootaBoy posted:

What would you direct me to if I asked to Cactus Jack's best work? As it is, I only really know a few of his matches (namely him V HHH and that one RAW where he kicked the poo poo out of two dudes at once in a handicap streetfight.)

Cactus had some pretty drat good matches in WCW, look up his feuds against Vader and Sting, with a shockingly fun match against Van Hammer, as well

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ShootaBoy posted:

Jack vs Sting at Beach Blast 92, Jack vs Vader at Halloween Havoc 93. Jack & Maxx Payne vs Nasty Boys at Spring Stampede 94.

Of note I'd say is Cactus Jack's feud with Eddie Gilbert in TWA (which was basically ECW before ECW in Philly and had a lot of future ECW guys like Tony Stetson, Rockin' Rebel, Larry Winters, Johnny Hotbody, The Sandman, JT Smith) which kinda put Cactus on the map. Specifically the 3 match series on Summer Sizzler II in '91, 1st was a Falls Count Anywhere, 2nd a stretcher match & 3rd a cage match. And of course there's the IWA Japan King of the Death Match tournament which you could watch which was a gateway to Japanese wrestling for a lot of tape traders in the 90s.

Also think the match with Mikey Whipwreck in ECW at Big rear end Extreme Bash is worth a watch, and there's the Cactus, Dean Malenko & Too Cold Scorpio 6 man against The Steiners & Eddie Guerrero which is worth a watch from Wrestlepalooza in 1995. Not the greatest match by any stretch but there's a fun brawl with The Sandman on Hardcore TV 31/1/95

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 20, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I watched some AEW a few months ago and in the match I saw they had a lady referee. I don't think it was a special thing,she was just a ref?

It never dawned on me until that point but...why can't women be referees? Are there any women referees in WWE or other promotions?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
WWE has been touting their first "full-time" female referee recently, using that specific term so nobody looks up Rita Chatterton, the actual first woman ref that accused Vince McMahon of rape thirty years ago.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

NikkolasKing posted:

So I watched some AEW a few months ago and in the match I saw they had a lady referee. I don't think it was a special thing,she was just a ref?

It never dawned on me until that point but...why can't women be referees? Are there any women referees in WWE or other promotions?

AEW's lady ref is named Aubrey Edwards, she's great. WWE has one female ref, Jessika Carr, I believe her name is.

There haven't been any female refs because wrestling is a lovely business full of lovely people.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

seems like the full-time tipoff would be what makes people search up the reason why they are using that qualifier

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NikkolasKing posted:

All Japan uses one currently but I forget her name. WWE had Rita Marie at some point in the 80s until she accused Vince of rape. But yes, generally there's no good reason there can't be more women referees. I'm sure if you asked an old timer they'd argue that a female ref just wouldn't have the same same authority as a man or something dumb like that but Aubrey Edwards has clearly proven that to be bollocks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WWE also has another woman they signed as a ref earlier this month, I'm not sure if she's been on TV yet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thanks for the replies everyone.

forkboy84 posted:

All Japan uses one currently but I forget her name. WWE had Rita Marie at some point in the 80s until she accused Vince of rape. But yes, generally there's no good reason there can't be more women referees. I'm sure if you asked an old timer they'd argue that a female ref just wouldn't have the same same authority as a man or something dumb like that but Aubrey Edwards has clearly proven that to be bollocks.

I thought it might have something to do with how a pro wrestling referees's job often includes taking bumps. They gotta get punched or squished in a corner or whatever.

I'm not sure what the current state of intergender violence is in wrestling. Bryan and Vinny complain about it a lot, especially as it relates to that Lucha Underground show.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

all japan's #2 ref behind kyohei wada (same guy who was there in the '80s and '90s) is nikkan lee.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nikkan Lee is probably the best referee in Japan. She adds to a match without being the centre of attention. I wish she had Kyohei's job.

There's also Mio Shirai in Ice Ribbon and OZ Academy (She plays a heel referee in employ the villainous Seiki-gun in OZ though), Natsuki Taiyo in SEAdLINNNG, Tommy in various joshi feds and another referee in OZ whose name I don't know. (e: it's Sachiko Ito)

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Aubrey is my favorite ref, simply because she takes no poo poo, gives no fucks, which is exactly what a ref should do. She’s also dramatic as gently caress with close counts, which I feel adds a LOT to a big match.

Generally speaking, though, AEW refs are good. I really enjoy that they spotlight the refs and make them more of a part of the show than WWE’s sorta faceless/nameless approach (save for some sporadic notable refs like Hebner or Lil’ Naitch).