Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

This has to be a joke no one can be this dense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Uhm. You been here long?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Computer Serf posted:

Okay well to add to this they did give me a little bump in salary, and I randomly found an email printed out where the main department boss suggested I get the rate I asked for but the new VP was like “I’ll bet we can get away with 1/2 the difference”

And someone else (main department manager) apparently recently pulled this off saying they were moving out of state in two weeks, and then they changed their mind, as if

yeah uh guy in my story was inspired by other folks getting countered. difference was the other folks really had offers and were well regarded. main department mgr probably has more flex than you?

fortunately its a good job market to be looking

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

lmao

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
You may as well just quit at this point.

Beats writing documentation.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
Thanks for the perspective yall.

I'm coming to terms with having Stockholm syndrome for this gig, and while it's not a total dumpster fire, the workload is lots of busy work and there's not really anyone else here to learn anything from. With more dedicated time off I figure studying for certs until the next semester starts up might be way more productive than the maybe cool project or infrastructure expansion on the horizon at this company.

Anyway, I'm thinking it might be wise to not burn this bridge and give them the basics that could be google'd/RTFM'd anyway. After I told them I wanted to phase myself out, they brought in a senior IT guy from a sister company for audits and while he's sort of a doofus he could figure out the workflows I reckon.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'm trying to imagine ways in which you could've handled this worse and I'm struggling to come up with anything.

Maybe you can sass them on the way out so that you cant even use them as a reference?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm trying to imagine ways in which you could've handled this worse and I'm struggling to come up with anything.

Maybe you can sass them on the way out so that you cant even use them as a reference?

How so?

I was pretty clear to them I wanted to leave on good terms and I’d be willing to train someone else, so this is mostly expected. I’ll be giving them the outline of obvious workflows. I’m not trying to burn this bridge, and the handbook thing was probably coming up regardless due to a corp parent company increasingly pushing policies on this place.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Computer Serf posted:

How so?

I was pretty clear to them I wanted to leave on good terms and I’d be willing to train someone else, so this is mostly expected. I’ll be giving them the outline of obvious workflows. I’m not trying to burn this bridge, and the handbook thing was probably coming up regardless due to a corp parent company increasingly pushing policies on this place.

you lied about a counteroffer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Computer Serf posted:

Okay well to add to this they did give me a little bump in salary, and I randomly found an email printed out where the main department boss suggested I get the rate I asked for but the new VP was like “I’ll bet we can get away with 1/2 the difference”

You can't use a printed out email that you were never meant to see in your negotiating strategy

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

You can't use a printed out email that you were never meant to see in your negotiating strategy

To be honest I read this as "I was snooping around in exchange online reading my leadership emails when i found..."

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
who read's other people's email without cause, that'll bite you in the rear end eventually

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Sickening posted:

To be honest I read this as "I was snooping around in exchange online reading my leadership emails when i found..."

it’s almost like (cool) main boss guy wanted me to see that because both him and the VP have their own printers but they do both compulsively print everything out and sometimes they’ll use the shared printer because it’s faster.

or maybe the gangster computer god was throwing me a bone on that one :worship:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

klosterdev posted:

who read's other people's email without cause, that'll bite you in the rear end eventually

If you are legit asking this question let me be the first to tell you that its extremely common.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

If you are legit asking this question let me be the first to tell you that its extremely common.

Just be in an office space where your leadership team is mostly older technology inept people who insist on printing everything to a common room printer rather than have their own printer for ~reasons~ and then don't promptly get what ever they printed out/forget about it entirely.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Defenestrategy posted:

Just be in an office space where your leadership team is mostly older technology inept people who insist on printing everything to a common room printer rather than have their own printer for ~reasons~ and then don't promptly get what ever they printed out/forget about it entirely.

Ah I see you too work in academia.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vargatron posted:

lol no, that was a small time futures/options trader.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Ah I see you too work in academia healthcare.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Ah I see you too work in academia an office.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've got an extra hundred people coming over to my company for an event, does anyone have any recommendations for some amp-limited PDUs / power strips so they don't blow our circuit breakers plugging in all their dozens of laptops at once, like last time?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Make it the problem of the facilities team

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Make it the problem of the facilities team

I am the facilities team.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Make yourself not part of the facilities team.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

Phone an electrician

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

I've got an extra hundred people coming over to my company for an event, does anyone have any recommendations for some amp-limited PDUs / power strips so they don't blow our circuit breakers plugging in all their dozens of laptops at once, like last time?

You need additional circuits to handle the load. Call an electrician.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So we just requested a relocation of Verizon FiOS service. We have 13 static IP's.
They said we would have to change all of those IP's in order to move them to a new address.

What the gently caress? Are they for real? Are IP's statically assigned to a loving mailbox or some poo poo? Why the gently caress would I have to get new IP's?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Zero VGS posted:

If you know the limit on your circuit breaker you could just setup a surge protector that trips around 3-5 amps under what the circuit trips at. Try searching for stuff like "bench, commercial, industrial power strips"
You'll have to take into consideration there might be other things running on that circuit though, so if you don't already have it mapped you could flip the circuit off during off hours to figure out what else is running a load.

You could also load in a diesel generator somewhere, but if you leave it inside make sure it checks out with the fire marshal and that there's a decent ventilation system setup.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You need additional circuits to handle the load. Call an electrician.

Yeah no poo poo, the electricians are who got us into this mess. They made 16 outlets all on the same circuit. Who the gently caress does that?

I doubt I can get this place to shell out for an electrician for a one-time event though, what I probably need is a bunch of something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Kyng-Power-Generator-Continuous-Rechargeable/dp/B07DVSWLSR

They would be cheaper than an electrician around here, and I could place them on the tables instead of stringing extension cords along the ground.

Computer Serf posted:

If you know the limit on your circuit breaker you could just setup a surge protector that trips around 3-5 amps under what the circuit trips at. Try searching for stuff like "bench, commercial, industrial power strips"
You'll have to take into consideration there might be other things running on that circuit though, so if you don't already have it mapped you could flip the circuit off during off hours to figure out what else is running a load.

You could also load in a diesel generator somewhere, but if you leave it inside make sure it checks out with the fire marshal and that there's a decent ventilation system setup.

Yeah our breakers trip at 15 amps, I don't mind placing a bunch of surge protectors around that will trip below as those are easy to reset. The door to the breakers is locked and only the building has a key so it takes like a half-hour to get them to come up and turn the lights back on. Would be nice if there were some breakers I could set the amps on.

This surge protector has an amp display and a dial to set the max amps (all the way down to 2), it's just what I need but it isn't Amazon Prime so I wouldn't get it by Monday when I need it: https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4330-Kill-Surge-Protector/dp/B004OG94VW/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So we just requested a relocation of Verizon FiOS service. We have 13 static IP's.
They said we would have to change all of those IP's in order to move them to a new address.

What the gently caress? Are they for real? Are IP's statically assigned to a loving mailbox or some poo poo? Why the gently caress would I have to get new IP's?
My local cable company has their network set up so IP addresses are somewhat geographical, each headend has a set of /24s and you can move all you want within the area served from that same location, but if you want to move to another city you're getting new addresses.

Others will give you a specific routed block that they can pretty easily move anywhere on their network.

Not sure how FiOS does things.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Assuming it still works like it did when I worked there, it's because everything is just the worst.

The Verizon ONT at your premises connects back, via the fiber optic cable, to a port on a line card in the OLT in the central office. The connection from there, along with some other OLTs, connects up to a gateway router (GWR), which is a big carrier-grade Juniper box. From there, it flows up to even bigger Juniper routers and so on out to the internet at large. The GWR is where all the addressing takes place, both the DHCP for most connections and the static for static IPs like yours.

My understanding is that the IP address pools for each GWR live ONLY on that device. Your static IPs are assigned out of the same IP pools as the DHCP addresses (I think), and thus you're stuck with whatever pools are available at the GWR that serves your line card. It's possible to move across the street, get fed off a different feeder cable from a different OLT connected to a different GWR, and have to change your IPs.

I'm trying to remember if I was ever able to get someone's IPs back in all the times I had to deal with this, and I think maybe once? It's probably worth having a chat with their escalation team, whoever they are now, but getting to them can be like something out of a fantasy quest. One way that should work is: go to dslreports.com, find the Verizon Direct forum and post there, and someone will give you a link to a chat that goes to a team that might be able to help. They will probably eventually promise you that you can keep your IPs.

They will then lose them because nobody actually changed anything with the automated provisioning.

After much back and forth, the answer will be to go gently caress yourself, because Verizon is terrible.

Godspeed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

you ate my cat posted:

Assuming it still works like it did when I worked there, it's because everything is just the worst.

The Verizon ONT at your premises connects back, via the fiber optic cable, to a port on a line card in the OLT in the central office. The connection from there, along with some other OLTs, connects up to a gateway router (GWR), which is a big carrier-grade Juniper box. From there, it flows up to even bigger Juniper routers and so on out to the internet at large. The GWR is where all the addressing takes place, both the DHCP for most connections and the static for static IPs like yours.

My understanding is that the IP address pools for each GWR live ONLY on that device. Your static IPs are assigned out of the same IP pools as the DHCP addresses (I think), and thus you're stuck with whatever pools are available at the GWR that serves your line card. It's possible to move across the street, get fed off a different feeder cable from a different OLT connected to a different GWR, and have to change your IPs.

I'm trying to remember if I was ever able to get someone's IPs back in all the times I had to deal with this, and I think maybe once? It's probably worth having a chat with their escalation team, whoever they are now, but getting to them can be like something out of a fantasy quest. One way that should work is: go to dslreports.com, find the Verizon Direct forum and post there, and someone will give you a link to a chat that goes to a team that might be able to help. They will probably eventually promise you that you can keep your IPs.

They will then lose them because nobody actually changed anything with the automated provisioning.

After much back and forth, the answer will be to go gently caress yourself, because Verizon is terrible.

Godspeed.

I just asked our rep to suspend our account with the 13 IP's and give us 13 new ones.
Apparently we might not even use any of them anymore because all of the vendors that had them put everything in the butt.
It might not fly, but if it does it would be hilarious to tie up 26 Verizon public IP's for nothing.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This happened to me with Comcast.

I have business internet in my home with 5 static IPs. We moved to a new home literally 500 yards from my old house and they had to turn off my old account and turn on a new account with 5 new IP addresses.

Why they couldn’t just associate my existing account with my new address is beyond me.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lotta people with hosed up DNS servers who can't handle a little re-addressing.

Speaking of hosed up DNS servers, ours are apparently handing out bad addresses for the DCs and SCCM servers. AD work has gotten a little twitchy, and imaging is completely hosed. Our Back Office has a backlog of 580 tickets for deployments and tech refreshes. Tickets. Not machines.

580 tickets.

Out lab managers have JUST only NOW seen the light on Win7 to 10 migrations and started scheduling re-images and refreshes in batches of up to 40 machines. Now we're cancelling appointments because we have no idea when we can deploy. Since they're scheduling vendor visits to install the software that runs the instruments this could kind of explode.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think if your public IPs are vital then you should have your own allocation and run BGP

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Agrikk posted:

This happened to me with Comcast.

I have business internet in my home with 5 static IPs. We moved to a new home literally 500 yards from my old house and they had to turn off my old account and turn on a new account with 5 new IP addresses.

Why they couldn’t just associate my existing account with my new address is beyond me.

That's just lazy, they use static ranges on the CMTS to point to the (router?? cable modem?? don't remember) IP.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Day 3 of working from home due to someone triggering a failed STP election :cheers:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

Day 3 of working from home due to someone triggering a failed STP election :cheers:

Whats up STP woes buddy?

Just got to deal with this last week. I wont even attempt to explain the weird topology of the network but some turd plugged in an ancient nexus switch that decided it would be root for the entire network. Lots of back and forth with the other tech trying to explain what he did. Enabled BPDU filter at the trunk to his location and spanning-tree reconverged again. Good times.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Woof Blitzer posted:

Surely this is because you don't wanna be physically in the office to deal with that poo poo and not because it has taken three days to fix right....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Surely this is because you don't wanna be physically in the office to deal with that poo poo and not because it has taken three days to fix right....

You'd have to do something insanely bad to be able to gently caress a network up so badly that spanning tree is causing an office to be dead for three days. I can't even imagine what that would be. Worst case I can think of is if you increase network diameter until it just fails and is unable to work, which can be remedied by removing the switch you added and being less dumb, or even just loving with timers a little bit until you can get someone in there who knows a thing to unfuck it over time.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Whats up STP woes buddy?

Just got to deal with this last week. I wont even attempt to explain the weird topology of the network but some turd plugged in an ancient nexus switch that decided it would be root for the entire network. Lots of back and forth with the other tech trying to explain what he did. Enabled BPDU filter at the trunk to his location and spanning-tree reconverged again. Good times.

:psyduck: you can influence root election with a single command.