Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

People are always complaining about how the way the world is connected in 2 doesn't make any sense. It was pretty cool how 1 was designed but I guess I didn't care enough to actually miss it in 2. Then 3 was just so linear it didn't really come in to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The game uses tunnels and passages in a way that greatly shorten and simplify the actual distance traveled. Like, from Majula you can see Heide Tower waaaay off in the distance, and then it’s like two doors and 90 seconds of walking to get there.

Because it’s a loving video game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I really liked the interconnection because I love building up a mental map of places and it's a great feeling when you loop back to a place you've been already (sometimes unexpectedly!) and you suddenly have a better picture of how the world fits together. It's especially important when you have limited warping. I like navigation in games and am the kind of person who runs around Hollow Knight without a compass because it's a waste of a charm slot for me.

DS2 still has the neat interconnectedness in places (notably the Forest of Fallen Giants and the Lost Bastille) but it's much less of a thing.

RyokoTK posted:

Because it’s a loving video game.
Yeah that's why I didn't have much time for the idea that it was a strong thematic decision. It's like saying that because a game has building interiors that don't match exteriors that it's saying something about how someone's true self doesn't always match how they present themselves.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The thing I miss most about DS2 is its extinction mechanic. Because it works so well: if you've killed a particular enemy spawn a certain amount of times (I think like eight), then they stop spawning. From a game design perspective that's kinda brilliant; by the time you've killed the same enemy eight times, you clearly understand how to overcome that challenge, it's something else that's giving you trouble, so let's streamline your way to the thing that's giving you trouble by taking away the things that aren't.

But people farming for specific drops meant we couldn't have that in A Real Dark Souls Sequel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Videogame Heresy: I far prefer Human Revolution DC over the original Deus Ex. I'll take bog-standard cover-shooting over rocket-jumping Quake any day of the week. And a stun-gun that actually stuns people instead of that tranquilizer crossbow that makes its target run around screaming. You also don't need mods to get it running.
The original Deus Ex is a poo poo game. It always was. It was a proof of concept that inspired people to make actually good games based on its ideas. It's the worst of the series. Yes, I remember Invisible War. I've finished it multiple times. It's flawed, obviously, but much less so than the original.

BiggerBoat posted:

I had the same issue with Mankind Divided and gave up on it.

I think it comes down to just not having enough free time to dedicate to most of these games anymore to where I can really learn them. By the time another month goes by and I'm able to play something again, I don't remember how to do a loving thing.
:same:

I've started Mankind Divided three times, and I'm sure I'll start it again, but I don't know if I'll ever finish it because every time I get through a bit of it something comes up and I don't get around to playing it again soon enough to remember what's going on or how to do anything so I end up restarting (or just not bothering at all).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

The thing I miss most about DS2 is its extinction mechanic. Because it works so well: if you've killed a particular enemy spawn a certain amount of times (I think like eight), then they stop spawning. From a game design perspective that's kinda brilliant; by the time you've killed the same enemy eight times, you clearly understand how to overcome that challenge, it's something else that's giving you trouble, so let's streamline your way to the thing that's giving you trouble by taking away the things that aren't.

But people farming for specific drops meant we couldn't have that in A Real Dark Souls Sequel.

They even had a built-in alternative for people who wanted to do that: the Company of Champions covenant gets rid of the enemy extinction and brings any enemies you've permanently defeated back to life. And it's right there in Majula too so you can join and leave it whenever you need to.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I've started Mankind Divided three times, and I'm sure I'll start it again, but I don't know if I'll ever finish it because every time I get through a bit of it something comes up and I don't get around to playing it again soon enough to remember what's going on or how to do anything so I end up restarting (or just not bothering at all).

I start it, then get to the DLC where they remove all your level up bonuses and perks, then I give up in despair because it just feels bad to be dumped back at level 1 like that.

They do give you a bunch of level up thingies to fix it over the course of the DLC, but I still hate it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gerblyn posted:

I start it, then get to the DLC where they remove all your level up bonuses and perks, then I give up in despair because it just feels bad to be dumped back at level 1 like that.

They do give you a bunch of level up thingies to fix it over the course of the DLC, but I still hate it.

Isn't that the (integrated in the DC) missing link DLC for Human Revolution, or does MD do the same thing at some point?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I wish that was a thing in all of them. If I were to narrow down my complaints about most Soulslikes to one thing, it's that they're wasting my time by having me trudge through the same content repeatedly just to get to the actually interesting parts. That was why Sekiro was such a welcome breath of fresh air, because it let you just zoom right past everything you don't want to bother with. Well, most of the time.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I can understand why they would remove the extinction mechanic. When I first started playing Souls game I realized that banging my head repeatedly against the enemy gauntlet of the undead burg made me better at the game. But the undead burg is a special case. Unlike bullshit like Lost Izalith, the burg's enemies feel like they were placed where they were to help the player hone their skills, without any extraneous bullshit.

That said, extinction should absolutely be a toggle in the options menu or a choice when you start the game. I can turn off the corpse bullshit in Darkest Dungeon or whatever I don't feel like dealing with at the moment in Don't Starve, and their reputations as hard games are still intact. Heck, DS2 is still pretty challenging even with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gerblyn posted:

If you're talking about Human Revolution, I actually quite like that bit. It does suck for the first bit, but you pick up upgrades so quickly that it actually makes you feel more powerful than you ever get to in the main game. When you're getting upgrades slowly, one at a time, each one feels incremental. In the Missing Link section you're suddenly reminded of how far you've come and then you're able to cover that same distance again in a fraction of the time. Same with equipment - especially grenades. The main game is weirdly stingy with grenades, but Missing Link provides you with plenty. It's great.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Isn't that the (integrated in the DC) missing link DLC for Human Revolution, or does MD do the same thing at some point?

Nope, you're right! I am thinking of Human Revolution.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Bit late to the discussion, but I played through Mass Effect 1 and 2 twice each and I don't get all this complaining about the ammo system. I don't understand what the issue is exactly.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That ammo exists in some form in ME2, despite it being so plentiful that I don't think I ever ran the risk of dropping below half, let alone out.

Honestly, I think I only ran out of ammo on my heavy weapons, but considering that some of them were things like "Here is a one-shot nuke that will kill everything except the last boss in one hit, and will almost kill the last boss, even on the higher difficulties", it's kinda understandable that they would limit how many times you can slam on the "I win" button.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The thing that I didn’t like about ME2 ammo wasn’t a risk of running out, it was the reloading.

In ME1 you could keep up a sustained and slower rate of fire indefinitely, or you could max out your heat bar and have to basically “reload” as you vented the maxed-out heat bar. In ME2, no matter how much or how quick you fired, it was the same, full-length, reload. It took some of the depth out of the game and replaced it with standard third person shooter stuff.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t have any strong feelings about the merits of one vs the other but the system that they were originally going for with 2— overheat-based but you had a limited number of clips that you could reload to instantly reset the heat—sounded like a really interesting compromise between the two and I wish they could have worked that out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I think if they had basically set it up so ammo "regenerated" if you didn't hit zero but took longer to recover if you did unless you used a heat clip would be intuitive enough to have worked.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I always just played ME2 with the heat mechanic, because they just disabled it in a config file essentially.
You didn't get back the heat mods and etc from 1, but you did get the balance of slow heat dissipation vs instant full reload by swapping out the thermal clip.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SubNat posted:

I always just played ME2 with the heat mechanic, because they just disabled it in a config file essentially.
You didn't get back the heat mods and etc from 1, but you did get the balance of slow heat dissipation vs instant full reload by swapping out the thermal clip.

The heat mods in 1 were definitely another thing I missed in 2. You could spec some guns so you never had to take your finger off the trigger. The weapon mods in that game were a blast, you could make some absolutely broken-in-a-fun-way stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The other problem with ammo in ME2 is that as I understand it, they basically hacked together a sloppy, last minute system to resupply you with ammo on account of dropping the far superior system mentioned above. When the game detects you're low on ammo, it just kinda generates blobs of ammo pickups on the fly at predetermined spawn points that are very obviously just strewn about in random corners rather than integrated into the encounter design. Needing to hunt around for ammo clips is a pace killer when the rest of the game is trying to go hard towards linear action.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dark souls 2 was better than 3. And that's before taking into account you could be a boxer in ds2

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If I could travel back in time and prevent FromSoftware from ever existing, I would prioritise that over killing Hitler.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Speaking as a slightly-more-than-casual player (I've played each game in the series more than once, but never dived deep into the mechanics/lore/PvP), DS2 is the best one because of the fun dual-wielding and insane weapon variety. I'll admit DS1 had more memorable level design, but I've never felt the urge to go back and try something new like in DS2.

But the main thing dragging down Dark Souls as a whole series is the pedestal that even the bad parts have been put on. All three (five with BB and DeS) games have their fair share of terrible design, and no it's not brilliant commentary on man's struggle against the universe or a character-building exercise or whatever other excuse people make for them. The games aren't perfect, and that's okay.

Sunswipe posted:

If I could travel back in time and prevent FromSoftware from ever existing, I would prioritise that over killing Hitler.

This is fair. Even as a fan of the series, I thank whoever's listening every day that Dark Souls mechanics haven't crept into every game ever made like some people think they should.

Big Mad Drongo has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Feb 20, 2020

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I think another reason they added ammo to ME2 was they were worried people were too static. They hoped it would encourage people to move around the battlefield more to pickup ammo, since with the ME1 system you could sit behind the same cover forever and never move.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Gerblyn posted:

I think another reason they added ammo to ME2 was they were worried people were too static. They hoped it would encourage people to move around the battlefield more to pickup ammo, since with the ME1 system you could sit behind the same cover forever and never move.

me1 let you reach insane levels of broken. you could mod out the spectre assault rifle to never overheat. if you went soldier with heavy armor and immunity you were prettymuch unkillable.

i liked me2 the best cause the powers got a nice revamp and were more fun to use. i was surprised how fun sentinal was to play cause i remember them being kinda poo poo in 1.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Class wise, Andromeda’s mix and match classes were so much fun. I played as a Vanguard that mixed charge with tech powers, it was so much fun.

I don’t think 1 had the power combos, which makes it kind of hard to go back to after playing the sequels.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Class wise, Andromeda’s mix and match classes were so much fun. I played as a Vanguard that mixed charge with tech powers, it was so much fun.

I don’t think 1 had the power combos, which makes it kind of hard to go back to after playing the sequels.

It's been years, but i think power combos in ME1 were limited to some biotic interactions, like using Warp on a guy you'd already hit with Lift would make a biotic explosion. I know that was in later games, but I feel it was started in ME1 and they decided to expand it afterwards.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

marshmallow creep posted:

It's been years, but i think power combos in ME1 were limited to some biotic interactions, like using Warp on a guy you'd already hit with Lift would make a biotic explosion. I know that was in later games, but I feel it was started in ME1 and they decided to expand it afterwards.

2 had the biotic explosions, 3 added the combos to other powers. I checked on the wiki, I could have sworn 2 had tech combos too.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
And then Andromeda made the best combat system with all sorts of synergies but then no one liked it cause everyone looked ugly :(

(I know, there were other issues like storylines not quite going places and stuff, but man I just enjoyed singularity-ing groups, riddling them with bullets, exploding them and launching them away in one biotic-fueled rampage)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

And then Andromeda made the best combat system with all sorts of synergies but then no one liked it cause everyone looked ugly :(

(I know, there were other issues like storylines not quite going places and stuff, but man I just enjoyed singularity-ing groups, riddling them with bullets, exploding them and launching them away in one biotic-fueled rampage)

:same:

It’s a shame that trailer became a meme for hosed up animations because that game was a blast.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Andromeda hosed up the charge/nova combo, making it the worst

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled

I'm not good at this game and keep driving off the track. I know that's due to my incompetence, but I still wish there were more tracks that aren't like, kart hallways. There's not a whole lot of room for error on things. Aside from the transforming aspect, that seems to be the biggest difference between this and Mario Kart.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Morpheus posted:

I consider the graphical flaws of Andromeda a pro because they were often hilarious, but boy howdy was everything about it miserable besides making things explode. Everything you could possibly do in the game felt like it was consciously choosing to waste your time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RareAcumen posted:

Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled

I'm not good at this game and keep driving off the track. I know that's due to my incompetence, but I still wish there were more tracks that aren't like, kart hallways. There's not a whole lot of room for error on things. Aside from the transforming aspect, that seems to be the biggest difference between this and Mario Kart.

I haven't had the heart to pick that up again after my first couple sessions, the difficulty/different feel seem so much worse given how borked the loading times are (at least on PS4, where I think it was approaching 50% of the time it actually took to play some tracks).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another irritating bit of Code Vein is the Cathedral area. I've finished it but getting through was just absolutely miserable. Everything looks the same and you have to constantly backtrack to advance because you got a key that opens up some door you saw halfway across the map. Also the backtracking plus multilevel environments means the breadcrumb trail on your minimap is completely useless.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Is that the one that looks like they forgot to texture Anor Londo?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Another irritating bit of Code Vein is the Cathedral area. I've finished it but getting through was just absolutely miserable. Everything looks the same and you have to constantly backtrack to advance because you got a key that opens up some door you saw halfway across the map. Also the backtracking plus multilevel environments means the breadcrumb trail on your minimap is completely useless.

Normally I’m pretty good at navigating irritating videogame maps but that cathedral drove me batty. Endless bright white walkways searching for the tiny offshoot that had the lever you needed to use to open the next door to endless bright white walkways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Olive! posted:

Is that the one that looks like they forgot to texture Anor Londo?

It is basically Anor Londo with safety rails. There are a couple of places where you could fall off and die but most of the time when there was a gap in the railing you were meant to jump down.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The Cathedral is by far the worst map in the game, and of course it's the longest, too. Its Anor Londo by way of the dungeon designers of the Tales series, nothing but dead ends, ind jumps, and right angles spanning four distinct elevations.

I genuinely like Code Vein (I'm also a weirdo who thinks DS3 was the best one), but goddamn the map design is trash and the Cathedral level is one of the worst I've seen outside of shovelware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It also doesn't make sense thematically because the game is supposed to be set in a semi-realistic world and then you go to the crazy fantasy cathedral in the sky.