Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

feedmegin posted:

There's an income floor below which you don't actually pay US tax, currently about $90k, but you're still supposed to file your tax return. This poo poo is why I never took out US citizenship.
As somebody with US citizenship who's always quietly panicking that one day they'll come for my overseas tax returns, I hope that's accurate. I doubt I'll ever earn $90k/yr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That analogy works, but only because methadone is a longer lasting, far more drawn out, tepid, unfunny, version of diamorphine.

Both of them are more like one of those rainforest drugs that make you think you're experiencing something profound and revelatory but you're actually just vomiting a lot.

I mean heroin is provably responsible for more good music than any other drug on earth, by a really loving long distance, something that definitely can't be claimed by any centrist twitter superstar.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

That analogy works, but only because methadone is a longer lasting, far more drawn out, tepid, unfunny, version of diamorphine.

Both of them are more like one of those rainforest drugs that make you think you're experiencing something profound and revelatory but you're actually just vomiting a lot.

Thank you

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

These Shaun Lawson tweets are worse than the Tweetman

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

I'd dispute that. I 100% credit hallucinogenics for getting me out of my New Atheist phase. It's hard to keep listening to people like Sam Harris once you actually meet God, and she literally breast feeds you with her kaleidoscopic chest

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Cuba is struggling and is extremely poor but that's down to the blockade, despite which it has an insanely high quality of life by comparison to similar income countries.

Talk about grading on a curve. True, Cuba is a massive outlier on all international statistics of well being and health. That’s because it’s income is far below any other nation that has had a politically stable and functioning government since the second half of the 20C. It’s peers are Vietnam and Thailand, not Haiti.

Cuban Communism demonstrably couldn’t win a popularity contest in Cuba, even with the kind of dominance over the media Murdoch could only dream of . There is a reason for that.

This has nothing to do with the few thousand casualties of Castro’s guerilla war, and everything to do with the logic of dictatorship. You cannot deliver things to the people if you have to first secure the support of the security services you need to protect yourself from them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

radmonger posted:

Talk about grading on a curve. True, Cuba is a massive outlier on all international statistics of well being and health. That’s because it’s income is far below any other nation that has had a politically stable and functioning government since the second half of the 20C. It’s peers are Vietnam and Thailand, not Haiti.

Cuban Communism demonstrably couldn’t win a popularity contest in Cuba, even with the kind of dominance over the media Murdoch could only dream of . There is a reason for that.

This has nothing to do with the few thousand casualties of Castro’s guerilla war, and everything to do with the logic of dictatorship. You cannot deliver things to the people if you have to first secure the support of the security services you need to protect yourself from them.

Shut up lib

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Enya produced some absolute bangers and all she needed was a big bubble bath and some herbal tea and candles and maybe a sea shell to listen to

i imagine

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TACD posted:

As somebody with US citizenship who's always quietly panicking that one day they'll come for my overseas tax returns, I hope that's accurate. I doubt I'll ever earn $90k/yr.

I had a friend who got in a lot of hot water thanks to her accountant advising her that she didn't need to file overseas returns despite not earning the threshold, when she in fact did need to and they found otu she wasn't.

Might wanna look into that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'd dispute that. I 100% credit hallucinogenics for getting me out of my New Atheist phase. It's hard to keep listening to people like Sam Harris once you actually meet God, and she literally breast feeds you with her kaleidoscopic chest
I mean both of them sound like they believe they're getting a revelation from the Divine Centrist that nobody else can see, but from an outsider perspective it just looks like they're shouting and vomiting a lot.

The difference between actual entheogens and internet centrism is that one of the two has changed minds.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My girlfriend is American and she still has to file her tax returns every year even though she earns wayyyy under the threshold. From what I've seen of them they're an utter ballache to do.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

Ayaweetsca

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

crispix posted:

Enya produced some absolute bangers and all she needed was a big bubble bath and some herbal tea and candles and maybe a sea shell to listen to

i imagine

Sail away, only time, I'm struggling for a third

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Aphex- posted:

My girlfriend is American and she still has to file her tax returns every year even though she earns wayyyy under the threshold. From what I've seen of them they're an utter ballache to do.

The company that makes a program to do it easier successfully lobbied us Congress to make them cancel the IRS' free version from being released

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Er Boadicea much?? Idiot??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The spelling invented to annoy literally everyone.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bundy posted:

And her sister, Echinacea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The spelling invented to annoy literally everyone.
Buddug.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Is mayo Pete rebranding?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ98IJ0usoE

Good to know she's a fan of Yoshi's Island.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jose posted:

The company that makes a program to do it easier successfully lobbied us Congress to make them cancel the IRS' free version from being released

You love to see it /s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beaudiseer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Is mayo Pete rebranding?
Ain't no rules says a dug can't be President.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bundy posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-51235975

This country :rolleye:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

crispix posted:

i imagine

She did a song for Lord of the Rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MLT4MmAK8

It's not the best song done on a JRR Tolkien film.
That would be this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fngvQS_PmQ

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

She did a song for Lord of the Rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7MLT4MmAK8

It's not the best song done on a JRR Tolkien film.
That would be this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fngvQS_PmQ

Wrongest post ITT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoVaK2NXmJA

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The only thing I know about Enya is that she lives alone in a castle, surrounded by cats. So she's living the dream basically

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

The only thing I know about Enya is that she lives alone in a castle, surrounded by cats. So she's living the dream basically

Oh no! I hope she has enough food to outlast the siege

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh no! I hope she has enough food to outlast the siege

*points at cats

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I mean it's no more farcical than "this damp/heat stress/sun fade induced blob on a building looks a bit like a hooded woman, we must call the local Bishop to see if it's Mary herself" that goes on in various other parts, and at least it looks a bit more like a woman with a spear than

OwlFancier posted:

Wrongest post ITT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR-MSZSLC5w

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

thespaceinvader posted:

I had a friend who got in a lot of hot water thanks to her accountant advising her that she didn't need to file overseas returns despite not earning the threshold, when she in fact did need to and they found otu she wasn't.

Might wanna look into that.
Gah. I'm kind of afraid that 1) I'll spend loads of money trying to find a UK accountant that actually knows anything about US tax law, and 2) they'll be under some legal obligation to shop me in if I decide I actually don't want to pay thousands of dollars to a foreign country just for having been alive.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

2) they'll be under some legal obligation to shop me

I've just been put in that position (nothing to do with tax). Someone told me something and I'm legally obliged to 'do' something.

There are somethings under English and Welsh law (not sure about Scottish) that absolutely cannot be kept confidential except between a defendant and their lawyer (not sure if solicitor, barrister or both). There's not even a right to confidentiality in the confessional.
It's deciding what the appropriate action to take is when the individual 'concerns' could at this point be 'accidental'!
Anyway I've taken what I consider is appropriate action - not quite at calling the cops level - yet (as I have informed the person) but any repetition and I will call in the authorities (and piss everyone off - and the person knows that I WILL do this because I've had to do it before.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

FINALLY

Don't know what the gently caress the rest of you are on about

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

TACD posted:

Gah. I'm kind of afraid that 1) I'll spend loads of money trying to find a UK accountant that actually knows anything about US tax law, and 2) they'll be under some legal obligation to shop me in if I decide I actually don't want to pay thousands of dollars to a foreign country just for having been alive.

If you genuinely don't owe anything, because you genuinely haven't being paid over the threshold, it shouldn't be a massive issue to fill in and file the forms, but you could have issues if you've not filed when you should in the past.

IANAL of course, but yeah, it's something you should check out, because they can be absurdly punitive on non-filing despite it having no monetary consequences and there being people evading millions in tax ho they would prefer to chase down, but don't have the resources to fight.

gently caress this world.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
cool brexit benefit :nsa:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1230464733985345537?s=20

They probably already have access to it via 5 eyes

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's not like Google actually meaningfully complies with GDPR anyway, it's just that nobody can afford to challenge them on it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sinky posted:

lol we're going to get kicked out of that because of Huawei.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Just keep googling things like 'how to make my prolapse longer' and 'can I cultivate mushrooms on mucosal lining?' to make the US want to go nowhere near you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sinky posted:

cool brexit benefit :nsa:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1230464733985345537?s=20

GDPR isn't anything to do with keeping your data out of the hands of NSA (or any other government agency), it's about keeping it out of the hands of Google, Facebook, and other private companies without your permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

lol we're going to get kicked out of that because of Huawei.

Nah, the kludge we've come up with is enough to satisfy the TLAs, this total ban on Huawei stuff has a lot more to do with US protectionism of their telco and network infrastructure companies.

Besides even the stupidest of policies isn't going to change the geographical realities that make our septic isles quite so attractive for electronic intelligence gathering and hence the "friendship" of NSA et. al. - it's not like Australia is also sitting across something like 90% of the transatlantic data cables and within eavesdropping range of Moscow-based satellite comms and they can just move Menwith Hill there.