Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Or front loaded kettlebell lunges. Fries your core too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
My program regularly calls for weighted walking lunges. I did them with barbells for a few weeks and then tried holding kettlebells at my sides. Grip and leg work. Kinda nice

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I unilaterally will not do lunges as my thighs would explode in a shower of sparks and rust.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I did 400 meters of lunges, around a running track, once. Once.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I bought a weight belt off amazon and I hope it fits. Between using straps and the thread's advice my deadlift form has improved, but I still need to ratchet back the weight and work back towards my old max of 385lbs. Managing 255lbs without back curl and I'm feeling better for it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
You guys complaining about lunges haven’t experienced the agony of the Bulgarian split squat.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I bought a weight belt off amazon and I hope it fits. Between using straps and the thread's advice my deadlift form has improved, but I still need to ratchet back the weight and work back towards my old max of 385lbs. Managing 255lbs without back curl and I'm feeling better for it.

Yeah, I got my belt off Amazon. A lot of the reviews were good, but some were complaining about missing/loose rivets and poo poo, so I was a little worried. Gonna get lifting straps next. Anyone got any brand suggestions? Preferably something I could get from Amazon, since I've got points to spend.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I've never tried lunges with a trap bar before, but to me that sounds really awkward. Have you tried with just putting the bar on your back?

Editing for clarity: don't put the trap bar on your back.

Or do, and record it.

I'll try them with a barbell or dumbbells next time around and see if it's less awkward than the trap bar. The problem is I don't have a rack so I was too lazy to clean the bar in order to put it on my back, but I currently suck at lunges so the weight shouldn't be a problem.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah, I got my belt off Amazon. A lot of the reviews were good, but some were complaining about missing/loose rivets and poo poo, so I was a little worried. Gonna get lifting straps next. Anyone got any brand suggestions? Preferably something I could get from Amazon, since I've got points to spend.

Anything from Slingshot by Mark Bell is quite good. No idea if it's on amazon, but I assume so. I really like his sleeves.

Also for people looking into weighlifting belts, Pioneer Powerlifting is a top brand that has almost everything from a cheapish Stock belt to super expensive costumizable belts.
He also sells straps and wraps.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Yeah I got a Pioneer belt as my first belt. I was looking at all the belts on Amazon and the ones with good reviews aren't even that much cheaper so I figured why not. It's great. I also bought a pair of their leather straps. Can't say they're really worth the price but they're pretty cool. I use the cheap pair of cotton/nylon straps I got off Amazon more often.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Greg Legg posted:

Does anyone do lunges regularly? Just trying to keep my balance was tough because I've never really done them before. I used my trap bar and was only able to get 25 reps per leg this morning.

If you are lucky and your gym has one of those Crossfit climbing frame things, they should hopefully have a pair of J hooks so you can put some bumper plates on a normal bar and lunge with that.

I found that it is much easier to keep my balance with a longer bar than a fixed weight one or kettlebells.

I've gotten up to 70kgs for sets of 20 and now I have a big strong bottom.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Take big steps when lunging, it's easier to balance.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Gymposting: did Kettlebell lunges about 20 mins ago, started doing then to replace leg extensions and have a love/hate relationship with them. My quads look awesome when doing them, so there's that. Seriously, try them and stick with em, it's good for your core legs, and balance.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

You guys complaining about lunges haven’t experienced the agony of the Bulgarian split squat.

these can suck the poo poo from my rear end

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Greg Legg posted:

Does anyone do lunges regularly? Just trying to keep my balance was tough because I've never really done them before. I used my trap bar and was only able to get 25 reps per leg this morning.

There's a lunge portion in a getup :getin:

Update on my stalker, still haven't revealed themselves and the front desk girl is scared for my life. She did some digging herself and couldn't figure it out either.

bomb fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 19, 2020

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Getups are usually part of my warm up before weights or bjj. I hope the crazy stalker situation ends soon. Weird!

edit: I appreciate all the lunge advice. I think I'm going to stick with them. Thanks everyone!

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 20, 2020

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
I'm slowly approaching a 500lb deadlift, I'm almost as strong as one half of Hafþór Björnsson.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

weight gets exponentially harder to lift so you're actually as strong as one quarter of thors ghost at best

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Helios Grime posted:

I'm slowly approaching a 500lb deadlift, I'm almost as strong as one half of Hafþór Björnsson.

Quarterþór Björnsson

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What kind of lifting straps do you guys use? I'm looking at Pioneer's website and see they've got figure eight straps and the 24" kind you wrap around the bar. Do you guys have a preference between leather and cotton straps?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Batterypowered7 posted:

What kind of lifting straps do you guys use? I'm looking at Pioneer's website and see they've got figure eight straps and the 24" kind you wrap around the bar. Do you guys have a preference between leather and cotton straps?

For the goon earlier asking about wrist wraps too, I bought both of these and just repurchased the wraps because the velcro had given up after two years of use. Not the best quality maybe, but certainly affordable and I've never had an issue. The straps have held up extremely well over two years.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You want the cheapest available straps with the least padding and extra gubbins sewn on. Extra length is a negative as well.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I have a super cheap pair of nylon straps with a bit of rubbery gubbins on the strap area and it's done me well for a few years holding 400+ lbs so it's not like these things need to be special.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Batterypowered7 posted:

I was going to ask why you needed straps and then I saw the post with your wacky finger bending and yeah, go for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Rip-Toned-Weightlifting-Bodybuilding-Powerlifting/dp/B01J7L8FFO - I bought these and used them a small handful of times when I was breaking over 400~ dead because I wasn't super confident. There's a tiny bit of padding on the wrist itself but otherwise it just wraps around and done.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

So now that I'm down with my RP cycle I'm now doing the velocity diet, we'll see how it goes with my training volume. 28 day cut starts today.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I don't know what the velocity diet is but it sounds dumb.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

nooneofconsequence posted:

I don't know what the velocity diet is but it sounds dumb.

It is dumb, 28 days of 5x protein shakes and a single 500-700 calorie meal in the afternoon. BCAA/carbs during workout. Hoping to cut around 15-20 pounds over the next 2 months and hopefully keep up my lean mass.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

After reading about the velocity diet that looks absolutely hellish, holy gently caress.
And some extreme loving caloric defecits, 1300kcal per day on a training day and under 1000 on non-training? gently caress me.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Has new research shown BCAAs not to be a complete waste of money?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I dunno but Plazma tastes not so great, they gave me some lemon flavoring to add in as well. I felt less strained during my routine this morning but it could be placebo.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

bomb posted:

It is dumb, 28 days of 5x protein shakes and a single 500-700 calorie meal in the afternoon. BCAA/carbs during workout. Hoping to cut around 15-20 pounds over the next 2 months and hopefully keep up my lean mass.

Once a day or once a week? I've heard both and they both sound... awful

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

bomb posted:

I dunno but Plazma tastes not so great, they gave me some lemon flavoring to add in as well. I felt less strained during my routine this morning but it could be placebo.

lol they still produce plazma?

Didn't think that overpriced stuff is still around.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Omnikin posted:

Once a day or once a week? I've heard both and they both sound... awful

Once a day is what I'm going to stick with for now.

Helios Grime posted:

lol they still produce plazma?

Didn't think that overpriced stuff is still around.

Yeah we will see if I even use it, they tried to upsell me on more and I'm not convinced.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
If you want to spend money on aminos, at least spend it on EAAs. Those "seem" slightly more useful.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

A "shake" is 1x scoop of 25-30g? So 125g-150g a day from just shakes?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

bomb posted:

So now that I'm down with my RP cycle I'm now doing the velocity diet, we'll see how it goes with my training volume. 28 day cut starts today.

1) I'm hoping you weren't just using the RP diet app to cut

2) why not use it to cut? I went from 188 ->180 in my first month and I wasn't even using the most restrictive cut. At least you'd be eating more food

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Does this take into account of the people's bodyweight? Cause that would put me at roughly a 2000cal deficit.

On a workout day.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Woops doublepost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure MASS has an article or literature review about BCAAs being useless if you're getting any were near 1g/lbs, not a vegan and not training fasted for what ever stupid reason.

I'll look through later to see if I can find it.