Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
The only time I can think of is maybe the bit where Isshin does his dodge step, which can be annoying but teaches you not to overcommit to an attack because if you react to it you can still deflect his counter?

And I guess Owl Father will ruin your day if you try to thrust attack him but learning your lesson of not trying a certain attack against a boss doesn't seem like a game ruining crime.

I'm not sure what it could be so I was genuinely curious to know what Shadow225 thought he noticed until he decided to get all Saw 'want to play a game' about it and now I just don't give a poo poo anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Shadow225 posted:

The guy in question is notorious for shutting down any criticism of games that he likes with snide bullshit answers. Even the way he responded to that post is snide and dismissive. As long as VideoGames allows it, there's no reason to speak negatively about a thread darling because it gets shouted down by a chorus of git gud, Coward, and other low effort reddit troll poo poo.

If he can't admit that he's wrong, it doesn't matter what I say or show. If he can admit criticism, then we can have an actual conversation.

poo poo, let's do it big. I will play through Sekiro again, get to the point where this I am positive enemy reactions are paired with a specific input, and post a video of it happening on command 3 times. If I do this within a month, BP writes a post detailing all of the negative design decisions he can find in Sekiro and then doesn't post in this thread for 2 months. If I fail to post said video by 3/15, I won't post in the thread for 3 months.

:toxx:

lol I was unaware I'd made another thread enemy. :sigh:

cubicle gangster posted:

you dont get poo poo if there's no money, union or not.

I don't think that's what is happening here. Granted I'm no finance expert, but I'd imagine labor is being cut or antagonized and particularized in order to shore-up short term projections so CEO types can take huge bonuses while the company tanks. There's plenty of money if someone involved actually wanted to run a business with the massive existing infrastructure and name recognition. Unfortunately what will happen instead is they will use one last console cycle to make record profits and take huge paychecks, then immediately say the business can't function anymore under existing market trends wrt growth, declare bankruptcy, fire everyone, etc.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

The guy in question is notorious for shutting down any criticism of games that he likes with snide bullshit answers. Even the way he responded to that post is snide and dismissive. As long as VideoGames allows it, there's no reason to speak negatively about a thread darling because it gets shouted down by a chorus of git gud, Coward, and other low effort reddit troll poo poo.

If he can't admit that he's wrong, it doesn't matter what I say or show. If he can admit criticism, then we can have an actual conversation.

poo poo, let's do it big. I will play through Sekiro again, get to the point where this I am positive enemy reactions are paired with a specific input, and post a video of it happening on command 3 times. If I do this within a month, BP writes a post detailing all of the negative design decisions he can find in Sekiro and then doesn't post in this thread for 2 months. If I fail to post said video by 3/15, I won't post in the thread for 3 months.

git gud coward

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm actually interested in what he's talking about if he'd post normally about it but based on that post i couldn't resist

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

lmao high chaos dishonored 2 run is awesome when you get parrying down you can totally destroy everything

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Nier Automata is 50% off in Australia. So I guess now might be a good time to find out for myself if it's the best or the worst game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't play the dlcs but iirc you get first-person lobotomized in the second dlc by Frank Fontaine.

Arist posted:

This is probably the single most viscerally loving offputting thing I've ever seen in a video game btw, and not in any sort of compelling way.

I fell pretty far behind in this thread but I just wanted to say: what the hell :gonk:

Like my opinion of BioShock Infinite was already pretty low just from the base game but lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We have now entered the next stage of posting, where goons are renting construction equipment and making their own hills to then die on. Fascinating stuff everyone.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

We have now entered the next stage of posting, where goons are renting construction equipment and making their own hills to then die on. Fascinating stuff everyone.

How loving dare you

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ASenileAnimal posted:

lmao high chaos dishonored 2 run is awesome when you get parrying down you can totally destroy everything

the powers in dishonored 2 get wild. want to kill everybody at once? emily has got you covered. domino is the greatest poo poo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The protagonists of Arkane games are always wildly OP, leashed only by optional plot or player limitations. Take the chains off and a level turns into a graveyard very quickly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve never played Dishonored 2, but the temptation to go ahead and just go full scorched Earth and mulch every bad guy as Emily is very strong

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

The Neal! posted:

The only time I can think of is maybe the bit where Isshin does his dodge step, which can be annoying but teaches you not to overcommit to an attack because if you react to it you can still deflect his counter?

And I guess Owl Father will ruin your day if you try to thrust attack him but learning your lesson of not trying a certain attack against a boss doesn't seem like a game ruining crime.

I'm not sure what it could be so I was genuinely curious to know what Shadow225 thought he noticed until he decided to get all Saw 'want to play a game' about it and now I just don't give a poo poo anymore.

There's also Owl's 180 swing if you attack him too early while his back is exposed but all these enemy reactions have an appropriate counter reaction.

I can pretty confidently say none of the Sekiro's flaws are in the 1v1 duels, especially not in boss fights because the controls are so responsive and all enemy attacks are telegraphed if you know what you are looking for.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm lying awake in bed wondering about Sekiro and input reading

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

"Awww poo poo we forgot to develop the PS5"

Sony - 'ey Cerny, you got that PS5 we wanna tweet about it'
Mark - 'https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gGZAIFteAg

edit: wait what the gently caress does 'reading inputs' mean, like, how video game AI works??? there's been a lot of really silly posts in this thread but that's literally The silliest posts i've read in this thread, like yeah, you're right sure. it reads your inputs, and that doesn't make the game good or bad in any way. I'm not sure if you think there's some way to program enemy AI in a way that's like 'true' or if you think the bosses are real people, but idk how to help you here.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 21, 2020

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I talked poo poo about Yakuza 4, but it filled in some important lore and now I regret my recalcitrance.

Shadow225 posted:

lol solid toxx

Fix fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 21, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One of the worst thread meltdowns I've seen in forever. Is this the first toxx in here in years? Can you toxx on behalf of someone else? Seems unfair.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol "thread darling"

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Beanpole is always getting away with his particularly stupid opinions about hollow knight and VideoGames just always looks the other way and i'm sick of it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imhotep posted:

Beanpole is always getting away with his particularly stupid opinions about Nier:A

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
no no those are fine

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Zero posted:

The mass effect ending was built up to be a huge payoff all your choices matter and above all “IT WONT BE PICK A,B, OR C WE SWEAR”
What we got was some creepy little kid out of nowhere and CHOOSE RED, YELLOW, OR GREEN.
It may not have been the worst ending ever but it certainly was the biggest letdown.

This makes some sense to me. I finally finished me3 yesterday for the first time, and the ending was built up to be a giant pile of poo poo, and I thought it was fine. Maybe if I'd paid a lot of attention to press releases during development or something, I would have been disappointed. As it is, it turned out to be a normal video game from 2013 or whenever, and not something groundbreaking. I liked it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Reading secondhand accounts of the Mass Effect series makes me wonder how Kai Leng could've ever been a problem.

Why didn't Shepherd, the most attractive member of the group, simply mate with Kai Leng on their first meeting?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Kai Leng is completely unlovable.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I don't know. This seems like a lot of words just to say you don't like a video game. It's ok to not like Sekiro, homey.

I honestly can't get into Dark Souls 3 that much. I don't know if I'm burned out or not but I keep jumping back in just to quit.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

blackguy32 posted:

I don't know. This seems like a lot of words just to say you don't like a video game. It's ok to not like Sekiro, homey.

I honestly can't get into Dark Souls 3 that much. I don't know if I'm burned out or not but I keep jumping back in just to quit.

how far are you into the game? I think they made a really dumb decision putting Farron Keep right after Crucifixion Woods, it's almost like Miyazaki was like let's put the swamp level like the third area in the game so people will roll their eyes and be like 'lol swamp levels and dark souls', but then when they finally beat it they go to the *real* blight town swamp level where everything is poison and just a huge, impossible to memorize area that you need to find three whatevers to open a gate to the boss'. At least you can go to the Cathedral of the Deep right after that instead of Farron Keep if you want, and now that I think about it it's technically one of the best levels in the game, just really classic, top notch, intertwining Dark Souls level design.. But it also has a loving swamp inside the cathedral where two giants are, and it's probably why it's not immediately one of the levels that comes to mind when I think of DS3. But imo the game only gets better from the area after the catacombs onward, including the DLCs, I think all of the best stuff, aside from like the High Wall of Lothric, is in the back end of the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is that what toxxes look like in other parts of the forums now? it's so incredibly intricate compared to anything I've seen. I don't get around SA very much anymore so maybe that's become the standard?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Everytime I think of replaying dks3 I recall you have to go through the village, fight a dumb tree, go through a swamp, fight a dumb wizard, go through a cathedral, fight a dumb congregation, go through another swamp, fight A Cool Boss, then its not one but two catacombs, a dumb skeleton and the Demon Boss Which I'm Bad At.

Then the game gets good.

So I never do.

Granted, the cathedral and Lothric highwall are excellent.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Imhotep posted:

I think they made a really dumb decision putting Farron Keep right after Crucifixion Woods, it's almost like Miyazaki was like let's put the swamp level like the third area in the game so people will roll their eyes and be like 'lol swamp levels and dark souls', but then when they finally beat it they go to the *real* blight town swamp level where everything is poison and just a huge, impossible to memorize area that you need to find three whatevers to open a gate to the boss'.

Yeah I was fine with Crucifixion Woods because unless I wanted the few shinies or to kick off with a giant crab I could just avoid the water. I then descend the ladder to Farron and immediately roll my eyes. Guess I need to go buy lots of poison resist stuff then! Like you say, the layout of that place was awful too, I ended up using a map from that Dark Souls site just to get through it... There's challenging and there's just bullshit. Farron was bullshit.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is that what toxxes look like in other parts of the forums now? it's so incredibly intricate compared to anything I've seen. I don't get around SA very much anymore so maybe that's become the standard?

I hang/read several threads on videogames, TFR, BYOB, PYF, IYG and so and people toxxing is not common fortunately.

Now making someone donate 50$ or so to Bernie and then gift him a PS5 if he wins is one of the best things I've read in SA.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yikes.

I mean, I genuinely do not see the issue here that Shadow is seeing. BP likes some games and dislikes others. Everyone here likes some games and dislike eithers. There is no consensus on everything here and I think that is important (Except Knack being Game of the Millenium, this is undisputable) that we are varied people who have these interesting and different thoughts.

This thread is more like a big round diner table with everyone interjecting ideas and thoughts and opnions. Some go down well, some do not, but I have definitely probated people I feel are being horrible. If you look at the thread when I first started posting here compared to now, things are so much better than they were. I do not think people defending their favourite games is bad and I often moderate with the overall position of "It is not what you are saying but how you are saying it".

I know I am a moderator, but I do not do mod sass probes. If someone calls me an idiot kai leng stan for liking Mass Effect 3 over the other two then they can. At least if it was funny and informative in some fashion then friendly ribbing is great and I like it. I will never not post my true feelings on games because I do not need to fit in. I like what I like and I dislike what I dislike. I prefer to talk about what I like as I enjoy giving positivity but I will not silence myself for fear of not being part of the in culture.

If you do not like Sekiro or Bloodborne or Dark Souls or Nier:automata or any lauded game then post. People will pushback or ask for more information or argue but that is because this is a discussion thread, not an agreement thread. I respect more the people who post honestly. Knowing a game is adored here and saying "hey I did not like it for these reasons" gets a ton of respect and admiration from me because you are being honest in a forum where the reputation is such.

However, if you do that and get insulted/trolled, then I will step in.

I have not seen that lately and there has been no reports. If my judgement is lacking here and I have missed something then I am sorry. I apologise and will do better.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Exactly, it's literally the opposite of Dark Souls 1, which gets boring after Anor Londo, and this game gets good *at* Anor Londo. So if you haven't been to the area right after the Catacombs of Carthus, 'blackguy32', but you're somewhere close, like I guess towards the end of Farron Keep, I would push on a bit further because the game literally makes you go through like 10 hours of super dreary areas (probably at the very very least, for someone playing it for the first time? Idk, it still takes me about that long and I've put like a thousand hours into the game), but then at the end of the Catacombs, you open a set of doors that you're probably assuming is going to lead to the fourth swampy/catacomby/cathedral filled with swamp stuff that's apparently leaking through the ceiling because you see it dripping down the walls combined with enemies who are basically skeleton enemies from the catacombs wearing priest robes, but instead it basically plays 'Hallelujah' and you see one of the more breathtaking vistas in the series. Then you walk 20 steps and immediately get chased by Literally the Berserk armor, then if you're like me, you'll get stuck at the first bonfire for like an hour until you figure out how to avoid the relentless combos of the basic enemy type of that area.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

VideoGames posted:

There is no consensus on everything here and I think that is important (Except Knack being Game of the Millenium, this is undisputable)

Looks like somebody over here didn't play Beatles Rock Band

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The Human Crouton posted:

I do find the Yakuza series to be a good spa day between difficult games.

This nails how I've been feeling about Yakuza, its almost like comfort food since i play on easy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It should be noted that Yakuza 7 doesn't have difficulty levels. It's balanced just about right for me as far as a turn-based RPG goes, but maybe others will feel it's too hard or too easy and there isn't much they can do about it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Oh that's kinda very slightly off putting to hear given I've played all them so far on easy. Probably not a big deal though and to be fair ive got 4 and a half yakuzas before i get to 7

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's a RPG though so there's always one solution if you can't win: beat up some guys and level up and then overwhelm them with sheer stats.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Imhotep posted:

Beanpole is always getting away with his particularly stupid opinions about hollow knight and VideoGames just always looks the other way and i'm sick of it

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Beanpole is always getting away with his particularly stupid opinions about Nier:A and VideoGames just always looks the other way and i'm sick of it

:sweatdrop:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Imhotep posted:

Exactly, it's literally the opposite of Dark Souls 1, which gets boring after Anor Londo, and this game gets good *at* Anor Londo.

Maybe a little earlier, but this is actually a fair point. DS3 is a pretty big game and if you add in the DLC there are some stunning areas. It's a great send-off for the series and I really loved the Bloodborne nods in Ashes of Ariandel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm willing to bet the example of Sekiro reading your inputs would've been a pretty well-known one, gonichumi can cancel out of swings or dodges into a deflect right when you go to attack him, much faster than it'd make sense for him to be able to do. Or something about how enemies abort what they're doing and rush you 'very coincidentally' right when you start healing. But in the case of the former I think it's fair if the game is reading that input because you can do the same thing to him, canceling into deflects is part of your basic kit. In the latter case I think they're set to react to the animation or the healing state more than you pressing the use item button. You can use stuff like Divine Confetti etc and they won't rush you like that.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 21, 2020