Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I've seen smaller ones that are about the power capacity of a typical domestic air conditioner external unit for around £5-6k, I guess they're just for doing your shower and hot water, but yeah, ones that replace a whole boiler are even sillier prices at the moment, and if even those are only putting out 50-55C then that's alright for doing the dishes but it's going to mean serious reduction in heat output from your radiators.

Yeah you need low temperature radiators or underfloor heating and potentially zone control so you're only heating the rooms you're in as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like a giant faff tbh.

If I'd need to replace all the radiators, and the boiler, and have half the floor up I'd just cap and drain the lot, run 6" duct down the chimney breast into a vent in each room, and have an air-air heatpump for less than half the price.

The zone control's a lot cheaper on that too.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like a giant faff tbh.

If I'd need to replace all the radiators, and the boiler, and have half the floor up I'd just cap and drain the lot, run 6" duct down the chimney breast into a vent in each room, and have an air-air heatpump for less than half the price.

The zone control's a lot cheaper on that too.

Except you don't have any hot water? The alternative being heating oil, which is just a fancy name for diesel, which sits in a 1000l tank in your garden. I guess you could have an electric boiler for your hot water but that's a lot less efficient than a heat pump and suddenly you're back up to the same price anyway.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Lmao who's excited to read this? My comic book friends are all loudly groaning on Facebook.

https://news.stv.tv/entertainment/marvel-to-introduce-new-british-superhero-team-the-union?top

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Does anyone here still have one of those 1970 baxi Bermuda back boilers

Every year i breathe a sigh of relief when we manage to fire it up for the winter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So when saint patrick expelled the snakes from ireland it was because he was a unionist?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't know what Baxi Bermuda is but I'm picturing one of those old back boilers behind a beige plated gas fire that made you crawl on the floor underneath it to blow the pilot light. Those things used to be a standard in RAF provided houses.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 21, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Coohoolin posted:

Lmao who's excited to read this? My comic book friends are all loudly groaning on Facebook.

https://news.stv.tv/entertainment/marvel-to-introduce-new-british-superhero-team-the-union?top

I like that they've tried to go for a themed character for each country, and then one character for the whole nation, except for some reason England is represented by the Union Jack instead of the St George's Cross

I mean it totally makes sense given how England and Britain are always conflated

Edit: also just absolute lol at the tagline:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1230243160112148480

It actually strikes me as a cynical jab. "England fights for England, not the UK"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't know what Baxi Bermuda is but I'm picturing one of those old back boilers behind a beige plated gas fire that made you crawl on the floor underneath it to blow the pilot light. Those things used to be a standard in RAF provided houses.

That is exactly what im describing!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Coohoolin posted:

Only if their arch nemesis is 'Paddy Wack', the Irish super villan who wants to bring Papal Rule and red passports to the UK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

Not me! I read one volume of Grist's Jack Staff after my FLCS owner suggested it to someone as a Christmas present for me and I'll be buttfucked with a Toblerone before I read anything he writes again.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like that they've tried to go for a themed character for each country, and then one character for the whole nation, except for some reason England is represented by the Union Jack instead of the St George's Cross

I mean it totally makes sense given how England and Britain are always conflated

It actually strikes me as a cynical jab. "England fights for England, not the UK"

He’s supposed to be fighting dr octopus but there’s just panels and panels of him committing genocide in India?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

No Excalibur, no sale.

Does anyone else remember a UK-based anthology series by Marvel from the 90s? Had new characters - Motormouth, Hells Angel, some knights, and some mercenaries working for the bad guys.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Coohoolin posted:

I wasn't too bothered by this - it's not like Captain Britain hasn't been a thing since before I was born - until I read it and hooooooly poo poo.

One of them is just called 'Snakes'. Because of St Patrick and the snakes in Ireland. See?

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I assume this is because Union Jack is an existing Superhero (though he has no superpowers)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Angrymog posted:

No Excalibur, no sale.

Does anyone else remember a UK-based anthology series by Marvel from the 90s? Had new characters - Motormouth, Hells Angel, some knights, and some mercenaries working for the bad guys.

Knights of Pendragon?

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Angrymog posted:

No Excalibur, no sale.

Are you thinking of Overkill? The weird Marvel UK series that kinda aped 2000AD?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Any Labour Party members who just got an email saying 'failed ER check' about application to be a supporter - these have gone out in error and an apology email should be following in the next couple of hours!

(I phoned up so you don't have to)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Azza Bamboo posted:

My god

he looks like Samwise if he took the ring and went dark.

monochrome seems like a poor choice here for an inspiring political campaign image of your charismatic leader figure. it looks like the first half of an american attack ad before the colour comes back in and we see pictures of the nice candidate

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Does anyone here still have one of those 1970 baxi Bermuda back boilers

Every year i breathe a sigh of relief when we manage to fire it up for the winter

I've just had the one in my new house ripped out and replaced with a modern combi boiler. The 1st engineer that looked at it said it was corroded, leaking and clearly hadn't been serviced for donkeys years. I don't know how the family in the house before me avoided blowing themselves up/ gassing themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vote for me to become eternally trapped in the zone of eternal grey.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Any Labour Party members who just got an email saying 'failed ER check' about application to be a supporter - these have gone out in error and an apology email should be following in the next couple of hours!

(I phoned up so you don't have to)

is an ER check when the Queen has to give permission for supporters to be let into the party or is it when you check that the applicant is not, in fact, the Queen in a cunning disguise trying to influence labour politics

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angepain posted:

is an ER check when the Queen has to give permission for supporters to be let into the party or is it when you check that the applicant is not, in fact, the Queen in a cunning disguise trying to influence labour politics

Yes. You can't join the party unless Brenda says so.

(Electoral Registration - which I am on because I voted in December and haven't moved since!)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Angepain posted:

the first half of an american attack ad before the colour comes back in and we see pictures of the nice candidate

Starmerville

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Vote for me to become eternally trapped in the zone of eternal grey.

Guavanaut posted:

Keir Starmer

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

monochrome seems like a poor choice here for an inspiring political campaign image of your charismatic leader figure. it looks like the first half of an american attack ad before the colour comes back in and we see pictures of the nice candidate

Kier Starmer

Bad for Labour

Bad for you

Bad for Britain

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Conversely vote for angela raynor to be trapped forever in the zone of eternal gay imagery appropriation.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
How do you do, fellow leftists!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jel Shaker posted:

He’s supposed to be fighting dr octopus but there’s just panels and panels of him committing genocide in India?

His only known weakness is kebabynite.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Aramoro posted:

I assume this is because Union Jack is an existing Superhero (though he has no superpowers)

Does he make fantastic deals with the villains?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
My favourite bit is this:

quote:

“On her knife I put three dragon’s heads. I know on Wales’ flag they have a dragon with only one head but I thought, why not three?”

WHY NOT THREE? DRAGONS EVERYWHERE

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

WhatEvil posted:

Try watching the Novara interview, he came across well there IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr6YD63GuRE

Finally watched this and I agree, he did come across much better here than I've seen him on other programmes previously.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Wait till the DnD nerds tell her about Tiamat's chromatic form.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Coohoolin posted:

My favourite bit is this:

WHY NOT THREE? DRAGONS EVERYWHERE

THE HILLS OF WALES ECHOES WITH SONG

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Coohoolin posted:

In the hyperborean age of the internet, there was the Wizard World forum. It was a forum for comic nerds.
I used to post there.

I remember one time a poster (almost certainly an American) came up with ideas for superheros from outside America. They were....pretty stereotypical to put it generously.

I remember his idea for a hero from England was a guy who had the ability to grow super large and have a really loud voice. His name was Big Ben.

Reading this article, I just flash backed to reading that post.

I mean, Snakes?

At least the Choir doesn't get her power from down the mines.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

Does he make fantastic deals with the villains?

No but hes good at making imigrant restaurant workers understand what he wants by shouting english loudly.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Just as a heads up to anyone who needs to/ knows someone who needs to apply for a visa in the next year, the IHS is going to double in the summer...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"the only snake left in Ireland" sounds like it should be a children's book that tries to teach kids to be understanding and not judge people for being different, but accidentally has a messed up race-existentialist message because animals are poo poo metaphors for people.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

In the hyperborean age of the internet, there was the Wizard World forum. It was a forum for comic nerds.
I used to post there.

I remember one time a poster (almost certainly an American) came up with ideas for superheros from outside America. They were....pretty stereotypical to put it generously.

I remember his idea for a hero from England was a guy who had the ability to grow super large and have a really loud voice. His name was Big Ben.

Reading this article, I just flash backed to reading that post.

I mean, Snakes?

At least the Choir doesn't get her power from down the mines.

Neither does anyone else these days.

And Big Ben is already a supervillain in Moore's run of Marvelman, so the brain dead Yank prick from days of yore isn't even original or clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Kier Starmer

Bad for Labour

Bad for you

Bad for Britain

Laundry Files TV series looking good.