Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Delthalaz posted:

The Orville

Actually yeah I guess this is the most recent for me too. I don't think it's great, and I think they have a long way to go, but it feels like it really took to heart TNG and is developing new plots and ideas in the same kind of tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm beginning to think that Star Trek Renegades was better than Picard.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

piratepilates posted:

I guess if you want last thing aired, then I remember liking the first JJTrek about 10 years ago when I saw it, it was fun and alright, haven't seen it since.

Into Darkness was very mediocre.

I still believe that JJTrek09 is a good film. It’s just a shame they squandered their new crew and setting in the movies that followed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Considering yall havent liked anything from ST in the last decade, at least, maybe it's time to stop expecting that you will like any new ST ever again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What a grim prospect. You really think they'll never make a good Trek show again?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

zoux posted:

Picard haters: what's the most recent star trek thing you actually liked

Picard haters, lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

What a grim prospect. You really think they'll never make a good Trek show again?

They're making two right now. As for the forthcoming ones, I look forward to them, and haven’t already decided to pre-hate the shows because they're not carbon copies of shows I liked when I was 13, like the Orville is

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Mudd episode is a really great thing to watch because if Discovery were a mediocre show like Voyager you could say, "It's formulaic but it's a competently-told time loop plot." But of course you can't, because the episode is all over the place following characters with nothing to do, telling rather than showing, and introducing wild tonal swings. It fails to achieve mediocrity. Great ep to dissect.

It's less boring than Voyager with its flashy direction but it's not actually written better.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
That Mudd episode really brought home how timeless and immortal Wyclef Jean is

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I forget, how often do we repeat that the Orville beats this by a mile? Every other or every third page?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

drat this thread moves fast. So many people are saying so many ridiculous things about this show that I want to address, but who's got the time?

I will say, with regards to Picard vs Seven and how the show made Seven look cool and Picard look naive- that's true, it did. Because Picard is naive in this context. He has always had massive institutional weight behind his justice, and so he has an institutional sense of justice. As a representative of a benevolent power, doing the right thing is doing things by the book.

"The rangers have too much power/too little accountability, even though they're trying to do the right thing, so I don't support them" comes out as "they act outside the law," and you can see why that rubs Picard the wrong way. The conflict between Picard and Seven at the end was the same conflict, couched in emotional terms, but Seven wasn't wrong even in moral terms. That lady was not going to be held accountable, and there was no other way to bring her to justice- she hadn't broken any laws in a region without laws.

Picard has to grow in this new setting. He doesn't just need to discover his old sense of purpose, he needs to figure out how to deal with the world when the government isn't on his side to bail him out, where he's not just the face of the Benevolent Empire, but an individual trying to make a difference. Essentially he needs to learn that rules, as a matter of principle, exist to support the established order, and if he doesn't respect the established order, he needs to stop respecting the rules, while staying true to his sense of justice.

It's a good story for Picard. And still a very positive one. It's not his belief in doing the right thing that's being questioned, it's his belief in the rule of law.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eiba posted:

drat this thread moves fast. So many people are saying so many ridiculous things about this show that I want to address, but who's got the time?

I will say, with regards to Picard vs Seven and how the show made Seven look cool and Picard look naive- that's true, it did. Because Picard is naive in this context. He has always had massive institutional weight behind his justice, and so he has an institutional sense of justice. As a representative of a benevolent power, doing the right thing is doing things by the book.

"The rangers have too much power/too little accountability, even though they're trying to do the right thing, so I don't support them" comes out as "they act outside the law," and you can see why that rubs Picard the wrong way. The conflict between Picard and Seven at the end was the same conflict, couched in emotional terms, but Seven wasn't wrong even in moral terms. That lady was not going to be held accountable, and there was no other way to bring her to justice- she hadn't broken any laws in a region without laws.

Picard has to grow in this new setting. He doesn't just need to discover his old sense of purpose, he needs to figure out how to deal with the world when the government isn't on his side to bail him out, where he's not just the face of the Benevolent Empire, but an individual trying to make a difference. Essentially he needs to learn that rules, as a matter of principle, exist to support the established order, and if he doesn't respect the established order, he needs to stop respecting the rules, while staying true to his sense of justice.

It's a good story for Picard. And still a very positive one. It's not his belief in doing the right thing that's being questioned, it's his belief in the rule of law.

It's also important that Seven calls Picard out for deciding to step back and retire the moment he didn't have the option of massive institutional weight behind his justice.

Absolute best moment in the episode was the dialogue between Picard and Seven on whether it's possible to fully regain your humanity. This season is a bit messy in themes, but recovery from trauma is the big one and that was a well written and very well acted moment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alchenar posted:

Absolute best moment in the episode was the dialogue between Picard and Seven on whether it's possible to fully regain your humanity. This season is a bit messy in themes, but recovery from trauma is the big one and that was a well written and very well acted moment.

Absolutely outstanding, impressive how much weight Stewart is able to give to simple yes and no

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

They're making two right now. As for the forthcoming ones, I look forward to them, and haven’t already decided to pre-hate the shows because they're not carbon copies of shows I liked when I was 13, like the Orville is

You are far more judgemental about people who are critical of this show around here than we are about you.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tighclops posted:

You are far more judgemental about people who are critical of this show around here than we are about you.

nah, I'm judging them pretty hard right now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Oh for sure, I'm sick of every genre thread in this forum getting poo poo up by hate watchers, I just want a place to have fun posting about ST

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm not a hate watcher. I wanted it to be better

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m just learning that Kirsten Beyer needs to stick to Voyager novels. This is fan fiction level poo poo.

And this is coming from someone who is a relatively big Discovery defender.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

kidkissinger posted:

I'm not a hate watcher. I wanted it to be better

Me too. In fact, I was defending the show until a combination of episodes 3 and 5.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lizard Combatant posted:

So what has Picard "not giving up" got to do with anything? He hasn't?

He did. The admiralty called his bluff, he resigned and went home and stayed there.

Alchenar posted:

It's also important that Seven calls Picard out for deciding to step back and retire the moment he didn't have the option of massive institutional weight behind his justice.

And that's probably why.

He's Jean-Luc Picard for heaven's sake ! He could talk to reporters to spread his message, start bugging Federation councilors to overrule Starfleet, start calling in favors, all sort of things to try and save the rescue effort. He could even go back as a private citizen and help the space nuns and the boy who obviously idolizes him. He could at least keep in touch with his adjutant who got cashiered because she worked for him.

He went home and sat in his study for 15 years. Seven put her rear end on the line to try and keep order in lawless space. Seven can judge him. The Romulans he abandoned can judge him. Raffi can judge him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

I’m just learning that Kirsten Beyer needs to stick to Voyager novels. This is fan fiction level poo poo.

And this is coming from someone who is a relatively big Discovery defender.
She wrote the novel where the Q bring Janeway back from death for reasons

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Delthalaz posted:

Me too. In fact, I was defending the show until a combination of episodes 3 and 5.

Yeah same, I feel really dumb for recommending it to someone now.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7OTFp_kDI

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

This was excellent btw

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

zoux posted:

Oh for sure, I'm sick of every genre thread in this forum getting poo poo up by hate watchers, I just want a place to have fun posting about ST

I like it! I just don't post much because I haven't actually seen alot of Star Trek. I'm about finished with S4 of TNG and haven't watched anything else besides a few movies.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

She wrote the novel where the Q bring Janeway back from death for reasons

are we certain janeway didn't just sit up on her own? if I had a crew that lovely I'd come back as a ghost or zombie just to gently caress with them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

upgunned shitpost posted:

are we certain janeway didn't just sit up on her own? if I had a crew that lovely I'd come back as a ghost or zombie just to gently caress with them.
Beyer didn't write the more ridiculous novel (which was by Peter David) where Janeway gets reassimilated by the Borg, becomes a Queen, and dies when she is taken out by Picard but her 'soul' or whatever is saved by Lady Q

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

"Bathroom Tile Face" was the worst alien species. Imagine a race of Gallaghers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Favourite moment: Seven turning Mirror Universe Deanna into vapor. Really I like that whole thing with Seven, she's doing chaotic good in an area where it's that or nothing. I love her getting Picard and crew out of trouble and letting him think he's stopped the violence today, and then she warps in a does what she has every right to do in this situation. Would absolutely watch a Ranger Seven show, she picked up that role as if Voyager just finished it's 25th season. Wholesome Elf Modeling School is also precious, I loved to see his contrasting reaction to not getting an ad targeted at him. Whereas a couple hours ago I was cursing at my computer like it had betrayed me because somehow a Spotify ad got through our array. Raffi's moment with her son felt pretty heavy and seems like was written by someone with firsthand experience in that situation. Even though we know the conspiracy poo poo is real, they did great showing both that "so what, family still feels neglected and hurt" as well as how frustrating it would be for your addict parent to be all "I'm clean" but also still really defensive and zealous about the "conspiracy."

Least favourite moment: Jurati straight murdering Maddox in cold blood. She was obviously going to be some kind of traitor, but that sunglasses lady showed her a powerpoint strong enough to make her a murderous zealot...really unexpected and unpleasant. I want her to get crushed to death by tribbles or something ASAP. That was unredeemable action there, I preemptively boo on her sacrificing herself in the last moment for redemption.

I really thought this episode was going to be a lot worse just from seeing folks react to it. The eye thing sucks to cold open into, but seems melodramatic to be all like "this episode is the egg on my face for my previous recommendations record" or whatever.

I read a take on another site earlier today that's kind of worming its way into my perspective, with regards to the jarring shifts between 90s Trek and Disco/Picard

quote:

I've heard folks from a few corners (not necessarily here) say that "we need TNG-style Trek right now"--i.e., that we need a truly hopeful future to inspire us, something we can strive for.

Maybe. I can see the argument for that. But personally, that's not what I need. Nor do I need straight-up grimdark. What I need, emotionally, in the year 2020, is fiction that shows how people can continue caring for one another and fighting to keep the light alive even in the midst of all the gathering gloom and hopelessness. Seven said something about her Ranger life, something to the effect of "it's not heroic or noble, it's just incredibly difficult and frustrating, but the alternative is giving up, which is unacceptable." That's the fuckin hero I need right now.

I'm hoping that's where they are headed with all of this, and it's not just a bunch of cynicism recolouring the "ideal Trek" just as matter of course for existing in our dark timeline.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vertical type is hard to do and almost never looks great, but the little "k" in Quark all scrunched up into the left corner of it's hexagon hurts and I'm glad it's just a quick flash. That blambot looking comic font isn't helping either.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Vertical type is hard to do and almost never looks great, but the little "k" in Quark all scrunched up into the left corner of it's hexagon hurts and I'm glad it's just a quick flash. That blambot looking comic font isn't helping either.
I think they're trying to do a Googie thing with the style of the sign but for some reason they decided to do it as:

Q
U
A
R
K's

Which, yeah, just doesn't look right.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

zoux posted:

Fans also hated DS9 because it didn't have a ship, which means it couldn't be Star Trek.

Actually the most Star Trek thing about Picard is all the salty fans proclaiming it not Star Trek.

Levar Burton: The New Spock

I recall being very put off by DS9 initially. The Enterprise in all of it's forms on screen was such an integral part of Star Trek for me that the idea of a Star Trek iteration without an Enterprise was hard to wrap my brain around. I actually feel like my tastes in drama developed alongside DS9 as it aired and blossomed into the greatness that it eventually became.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 22, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

mllaneza posted:

He did. The admiralty called his bluff, he resigned and went home and stayed there.

Wow thanks for picking out the easiest sentence to reply to from the whole post.

How about the rest of it?

I meant the end of the show cannot be be Picard "learning not to give up" or something so asinine since he stopped giving up in ep 1.

mllaneza posted:

He's Jean-Luc Picard for heaven's sake ! He could talk to reporters to spread his message, start bugging Federation councilors to overrule Starfleet, start calling in favors, all sort of things to try and save the rescue effort. He could even go back as a private citizen and help the space nuns and the boy who obviously idolizes him. He could at least keep in touch with his adjutant who got cashiered because she worked for him.

He went home and sat in his study for 15 years. Seven put her rear end on the line to try and keep order in lawless space. Seven can judge him. The Romulans he abandoned can judge him. Raffi can judge him.

He's one elderly man.

Where was literally anyone else?

This is what I mean about the show treating Picard as the last bastion of the old Federation's ideals.

So you have to read the show's portrayal of Picard equally as a critique of the Federation of old Trek.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mal-3 posted:

I think they're trying to do a Googie thing with the style of the sign but for some reason they decided to do it as:

Q
U
A
R
K's

Which, yeah, just doesn't look right.

Wow, I think I've seen every single image that pops up when you google "googie," but never knew "googie" was the right term for that style. I wonder if it's been under my nose for years but didn't notice because my eyes would glaze over it as "google."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Lizard Combatant posted:

So you have to read the show's portrayal of Picard equally as a critique of the Federation of old Trek.

I don't get the impression the show is all that concerned with critiquing the Federation or Star Trek; I think it's mainly preoccupied with using the Federation as a stand-in for modern Britain/USA.

I think the extent of the show's meta-critique of Star Trek was showing Picard daydreaming about the good ol' days as a stand-in for fans who want to keep living in the 90's.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 22, 2020

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It feels to me that some folks are mad at Star Trek for reflecting the world around it.

Observation. Not casting aspertions.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Excuse me who the gently caress is Cheryl McFadden?

Edit: oh God Rich Evans called it all.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't get the impression the show is all that concerned with critiquing the Federation or Star Trek; I think it's mainly preoccupied with using the Federation as a stand-in for modern Britain/USA.

It doesn't actually have to be intentional, I think it's very revealing.

But yes I also agree with you about their conscious goal and I think it's an awfully clumsy metaphor.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think the extent of the show's meta-critique of Star Trek was showing Picard daydreaming about the good ol' days as a stand-in for fans who want to keep living in the 90's.

And by repeatedly demonstrating that his way of thinking is a naive by-product that is yet to be anything but ineffectual in the harsh light of reality.

The Federation we remember from the 90s apparently now only lives as its embodiment Jean Luc Picard (which is individualist, superhero nonsense), as no one since ever took up the mantle. Certainly not the billions of other citizens and officers of the Federation. No, they were all just apparently waiting to see what the great Picard would do. So yes, Picard is the show's stand in for old Trek.

Picard might say the "right" things (which was never the be all and end all of his character, he acted decisively) because the show knows that's what is expected of his character, while the realists like Seven actually dispense justice.

"Pragmatism with the vaneer of idealism" I said and I stand by it.

SpeakSlow posted:

It feels to me that some folks are mad at Star Trek for reflecting the world around it.

Observation. Not casting aspertions.

Star Trek always reflected our world, but it didn't embody it. Picard has the Federation morph into present day America apparently in a vacuum with no thought as to how something like Trump actually happens. New Trek should absolutely reflect modern issues, but a lot of people aren't happy that it needlessly abandoned the ethos which defined the show more than any singular character.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 22, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The M in M-class planet stood for metaphor.

Captains log, supplemental. It appears the native inhabitants of Oomer Beta replaced their rigid caste society with a form of wage slavery...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Why do I like Elnore? He's shown like two emotions and three lines but Naive Samurai Elf Raised By Truth Nuns is great.