Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Bust Rodd posted:

the idea of smart-rear end UK kids in High School being like “what? we were the largest imperial colonizers in human history and owned 25% of the planet and now were just a loving mudskip away from total economic collapse, LMAO, yeah right you tosser!” or whatever the gently caress young brits talk like is very funny to me, the same way it was when the very smart and extremely woke kids at my high school kept interrupting our lessons on the Industrial revolution with questions like “but where was all the cotton coming from?” “why was everyone so eager to do trade with the American South” until the school swapped her into AP history so she wouldn’t corrupt the dumb-dumbs.

lol where were you that people didn't teach about slavery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Grape posted:

lol where were you that people didn't teach about slavery

Slavery in America though, I too was never really taught about the British role in the slave trade.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Slavery in America though, I too was never really taught about the British role in the slave trade.

Strange, in the US I heard all about the British role in the slave trade.

Funny that

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Seriously, this is like the farcical version of the fall of Numenor.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
"The way slavery is taught in schools, you would think the British established the slave trade just so they could abolish it."

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

PostNouveau posted:

The big question when you walk around like the Agora is "What kind of loving rear end in a top hat would do this?"

The Chinese emperor's Old Summer Palace in Beijing is mostly unreconstructed rubble in the middle of gorgeous natural scenery, and every pile of rubble has a sign with a slightly different version of "This was something amazing and then the British burned it in 1860 during the Opium Wars; gently caress the British" in Chinese.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

gonadic io posted:

Bust Rodd is American (pretty sure anyway) though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
it’s the US we have “Social Studies” instead of History.

Up through 8th grade the only thing we learn is “Columbus discovered America & then America fought England and WHOOPED THEIR rear end & then Lincoln freed the slaves”. We cover the entirety of triangular trade and the Trail of Tears in a single unit that lasts 2 months. Once you make it to High School we transition to World History and learn all about Imperialism and Communism and Colonialism and after a few years of learning about everyone else and how stupid everyone else is, then we come back to US history from Post Slavery forward.

like, you really cannot overstate the level of minimization of the US’s genocidal practices in our public schools. This was a small High School in NY state, and I was even in AP History in 12th, which DOES start during the Industrial Revolution, but the syllabus starts with the Cotton Gin and just breezes over how we got there.

it’s entirely possible for people in similar rural school systems to mine, who don’t go on to college and more sincere approaches to US History, could literally never learn about slavery.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I remember during the coalition years even as they were trying to detoxify the Tory brand Gove announced that he wanted schools to teach that the first world war was good, actually. Can't imagine what sort of horrible poo poo they're pushing at this point

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

MikeCrotch posted:

"The way slavery is taught in schools, you would think the British established the slave trade just so they could abolish it."

What's that a quote from?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The history I learned in high school was almost entirely focused on Britain in the 19th and 20th century and the Empire was mentioned exactly once, briefly, to give context for German imperialism in the run up to WW1

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah we're probably not getting any cool little bands here anymore...

https://twitter.com/CarrieGrant1/status/1230770323127037954?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

does that include bands from like Ireland and France ?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

euphronius posted:

does that include bands from like Ireland and France ?

No

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah we're probably not getting any cool little bands here anymore...

https://twitter.com/CarrieGrant1/status/1230770323127037954?s=20

https://twitter.com/alexwhiteman49/status/1230830996871839744

FYGM but it's music. That's a new one to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I feel like discouraging art and culture from coming or going was exactly what Brexit was supposed to do.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I already heard all the music I ever need in my life we don't need to let any more of those foreign bands in.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like discouraging art and culture from coming or going was exactly what Brexit was supposed to do.

first, the British Invasion, and now, the British Inoculation

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"mate I don't even know what music is so crack on"

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Currently in the process of helping a musician get a O-1 visa in the US. There is a long way to go for Britain to become as awful as the states to visit for foreign musicians.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Mar 23, 2021

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

sincx posted:

What kind of stores sell toilet plungers in the UK?

In the US you'd go to Target or Walmart, or any larger grocery store, and be able to find some. But most of the stores in London seem much smaller. Would one need to go to a hardware store? If so, are there chains like Home Depot?

Wilkos is a safe bet.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

In the US you'd go to Target or Walmart, or any larger grocery store, and be able to find some. But most of the stores in London seem much smaller. Would one need to go to a hardware store? If so, are there chains like Home Depot?

in the uk its called a loo plungie so try asking for that

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

it’s the US we have “Social Studies” instead of History.

Because it covers more topics than History. This is not a point of mockery.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

sincx posted:

Wickes, B&Q, Homebase. Those are all giant places you'd find in a retail park though. Maybe Robert Dyas?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

sincx posted:

incidentally, most of the supermarket chains have shops that are large enough to have a homeware section which will stock this stuff. the proliferation of smaller versions of the shops in cities is to get around Sunday Trading laws

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Robo Reagan posted:

in the uk its called a loo plungie so try asking for that

it's also called a dirty dalek dick

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
what the gently caress is up with news papers in your country

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TheBirmingham6/status/1231135528118104064?s=20
https://twitter.com/TheBirmingham6/status/1231159863687831553?s=20

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
jonathan paedophile information exchange

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sincx posted:

we don't have these here. you're expected to use your hands

hakimashou posted:

newpapers are considered entertainment

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sincx posted:

Bigger edge of town supermarkets like Tesco Extra or just a local hardware store in the neighbourhood.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

newpapers are considered entertainment

And, like most British entertainment, they're inevitably shite.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

hakimashou posted:

This is just the normal brain rot of Guardian readers.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tim dowling is a particularly bad example though

for some reason they pay him to write tedious poo poo about stuff no-one cares about, as opposed to all those other guardian opinion columns

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just googled Tim dowling and of course he plays the banjo in a band lmao

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

So sad to hear of her imminent suicide.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Strange, in the US I heard all about the British role in the slave trade.

Funny that

For some perspective, I went to US high school for a year and you singlehandedly won WW2 and is the bestest country in the world all around.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
how the hell do you people still remember in such detail what was covered in high school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Captain Splendid posted:

So sad to hear of her imminent suicide.

Is Jeffrey Epstein the centre of a new hyoid bone deficiency epidemic???