Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Takuan posted:

Last year I fell into an efedding collective-group-thing, and I'm gonna start doing monthly shows featuring characters from that community. I'm gonna attempt at replicating a GCW-style indy.

Sounds dope, excited to see what you do with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
So I'm watching the nL playthrough of the Southpaw DLC. This is the FIRST SPEECH BOX OF THE SHOWCASE MODE.

1. They put such little effort into it that it looks like a dating sim you'd find on Steam, not the DLC for a full-price console game.
2. That character up there is supposed to resemble this apparently. Could've fooled me.
3. This is Susan, as you can tell by her almost lifelike :awesomelon: "I am Susan", but the game identifies her as "Renee Young". They couldn't get through ONE PIECE OF DIALOGUE without loving it up.

:eng99:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Good news! https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/wwe-2k21-developer/

quote:

Take-Two has confirmed its Visual Concepts studio will continue to work on WWE 2K, following a ‘disappointing’ full debut.

The publisher is “actively working” with the California-based developer to improve the quality of future games starting with WWE 2K21, it said in an earnings call on Thursday.

:laffo:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Sure they're at half strength and the budget got cut but it's going to get better I swear"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

dsriggs posted:

So I'm watching the nL playthrough of the Southpaw DLC. This is the FIRST SPEECH BOX OF THE SHOWCASE MODE.

1. They put such little effort into it that it looks like a dating sim you'd find on Steam, not the DLC for a full-price console game.
2. That character up there is supposed to resemble this apparently. Could've fooled me.
3. This is Susan, as you can tell by her almost lifelike :awesomelon: "I am Susan", but the game identifies her as "Renee Young". They couldn't get through ONE PIECE OF DIALOGUE without loving it up.

Heather & Other Heather were funny.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

dsriggs posted:

Wow I thought that was just a really awful Nattie Neidhart model. Yeesh.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpg8lCWjTk

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

How did they gently caress up Southpaw
What the hell

Because the thing that made Southpaw work was guys like Cena and Jericho and the Good Brothers riffing on personal knowledge of the thing it's parodying. Like, Jericho's straight up doing one of the Stampede announcers, and Cena's obviously doing Lance Russell or Gordon Solie. WWE as a corporate entity and 2K's team don't have any attachment to that era of wrestling and thus don't really get what's funny about it. Plus there was likely some mandate to make this the 'women's roster pack' and so they tried to staple a GLOW vibe to it when the joke of Southpaw is basically the opposite of what makes GLOW (the promotion) and GLOW (the comedy series) work.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And part of the joke is that the series ended them hiring their first women's wrestler and Lance Catamaran losing it with "One? Why would you hire just one? You're supposed to get two!"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Commentary stays this took place after Lethal Leap Year despite Lethal Leap Year being the implicit ending of SRW

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

Commentary stays this took place after Lethal Leap Year despite Lethal Leap Year being the implicit ending of SRW

Obviously Mr. Mackelroy bought up SRW after the previous owners ran it into the ground via not understanding calendars. :v:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

please its Super Robot Taisen. Only plebs call Super Robot Wars.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Tonight on W.A.V.E. Pro-Wrestling: The Wrestleocalypse arrived last week and this week W.A.V.E. enters a brave, new, Post-Wrestleocalypse Era! What does that even mean? Who(or what) was that strange being that appeared at the end of last week's show? Find out at 8:00PM EST at https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Y'know normally I feel really bad about double-posting in this thread, buuuuuuut gently caress it, it's the last episode!

The Wrestleocalypse has left a blighted hellscape in its wake, and only Ayako Asami seems to have any memory of how things used to be. Come and see the final episode of W.A.V.E. Pro-Wrestling to find out how it all ends!

https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So Fire Pro 4 is on sale for the PS4 for 70% off. Normal game is $14.99, Deluxe is $26.99. If I get the Deluxe and the Entrance Craft (on sale for $13.99) is there anything else I need to make sure I can use all the edits?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok I'm gonna buy fire pro on sale on psn store in preparation of the suda51 story

back when I had fire pro on ps2 there was a pack of CAWs that were basically recreations of the default fire pro knock-offs of real wrestlers from throughout the series. so the stats and everything all matched the developer versions so theoretically they were balanced with each other. is there anything like that on PSN or are there particular creators i should look for to keep some sort of consistency so i dont end up with super OP yoshi tatsu killing everyone or anything

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

So Fire Pro 4 is on sale for the PS4 for 70% off. Normal game is $14.99, Deluxe is $26.99. If I get the Deluxe and the Entrance Craft (on sale for $13.99) is there anything else I need to make sure I can use all the edits?

It depends. I'm not sure about on PS4, but on the PC side all the big edit makers bought all the character-DLC(New Japan/Stardom) and use the parts when necessary to make the best edits. So if you wanna use all the edits, you'd probably have to get the 2 NJPW and 1 Stardom DLCs. There should be a message on the download screen for edit that says if a particular DLC is needed for it.

Super No Vacancy posted:

ok I'm gonna buy fire pro on sale on psn store in preparation of the suda51 story

back when I had fire pro on ps2 there was a pack of CAWs that were basically recreations of the default fire pro knock-offs of real wrestlers from throughout the series. so the stats and everything all matched the developer versions so theoretically they were balanced with each other. is there anything like that on PSN or are there particular creators i should look for to keep some sort of consistency so i dont end up with super OP yoshi tatsu killing everyone or anything

Avenger/Avenger3 is one of the top PC edit makers that's been porting his works to PS4. I've also heard a creator called Miguel-Francisca is good, but don't have firsthand experience with their work.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
If I don't really care about anything but making CAWs and simming matches, is there any particular best WWE game on PC to get? I know the CAW was supposed to have been garbage in WWE 2015, but for my purposes is there any particular best option from WWE 2016-2019?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Takuan posted:

It depends. I'm not sure about on PS4, but on the PC side all the big edit makers bought all the character-DLC(New Japan/Stardom) and use the parts when necessary to make the best edits. So if you wanna use all the edits, you'd probably have to get the 2 NJPW and 1 Stardom DLCs. There should be a message on the download screen for edit that says if a particular DLC is needed for it.

Avenger/Avenger3 is one of the top PC edit makers that's been porting his works to PS4. I've also heard a creator called Miguel-Francisca is good, but don't have firsthand experience with their work.

I have a fair bit of Miguel’s edits; I can vouch for the quality.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Takuan posted:

Last year I fell into an efedding collective-group-thing, and I'm gonna start doing monthly shows featuring characters from that community. I'm gonna attempt at replicating a GCW-style indy.

We can still talk about TEW, in this very thread, because that's one of the purposes of this thread.

Now about how low the popularity values of AEW wrestlers are and how it's impossible to put on a show good enough to satisfy TNT...

That's one of the reasons why I haven't tried doing AEW on the real-world mod. AEW by the standards of 16's mechanics makes no sense and shouldn't exist.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Takuan posted:

Now about how low the popularity values of AEW wrestlers are and how it's impossible to put on a show good enough to satisfy TNT...

The mods are bad and I have to literally hand-(re)craft AEW to make it make some semblance of sense and not instantly die. If it weren't too much of a giant problem, basically every wrestler in the game should be way better than the mods leave them, pop numbers are "fine" sort of, but the wrestlers should be putting way better in-ring ratings and segment ratings because the talent is GOOD.

It's a loving mess.

cranking everyone's in-ring skills up has let me squeak by in AEW test-games, but is very ugh.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

even in video games aew has completely broken all the rules of what it takes to become a successful wrestling company lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TEW16's whole dynamic just doesn't really work to get people over really quick and build a successful show without a bunch of A over wrestlers. Plus the way ratings and tv work is really antiquated.

My understanding is both of those things were a focus of redesign for TEW20. You're supposed to be able to get a wrestler hot and over real quick upon debut now with less importance of "popularity" and it sounded like he rebuilt the TV/streaming world from scratch.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/ArnoldFurious/status/1230843009836691456

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeUM0pDzD0

This cost over $2.5m.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Lmao I bought that. It never seemed to have a single update.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

WWE 2k21 is coming along nicely I see.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Rollersnake posted:

If I don't really care about anything but making CAWs and simming matches, is there any particular best WWE game on PC to get? I know the CAW was supposed to have been garbage in WWE 2015, but for my purposes is there any particular best option from WWE 2016-2019?

2k19 because the image upload servers are still up but that might only be for a couple months? Once you get used to making caws with images/face textures it's hard to go back to the default stuff.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Just keep in mind if you play 2k20 even once you get locked out of the image uploader for 2k19

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Andy Organ and Harvee Dee are my favourite wrestlers.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Sandman McMahon posted:

Andy Organ and Harvee Dee are my favourite wrestlers.

Andy Organ’s sweet theme song had to be a quarter of that 2M budget

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

beggar posted:

Andy Organ’s sweet theme song had to be a quarter of that 2M budget

and it was worth every penny

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

In serious blast-from-the-past news, TNM7 is back in active development, with a new build released last month. It's still the same DOS-based game overall, but he's focusing his energy on making Windows plugins to overcome the limitations DOS-based programs have: the latest plugin takes an import file of any size, lets you select just the parts you want, and remakes the import file to include only that, which is exactly the functionality I wished it had back in middle school.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Takuan posted:

A lot of the CAWs I’ve downloaded on PS4 have become grated out as DLC was released, so it’s probably worth laying out for all the parts.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

A lot of the CAWs I’ve downloaded on PS4 have become grated out as DLC was released, so it’s probably worth laying out for all the parts.

Much of the DLC (NJPW Juniors and Stardom) is on sale right now on the PS4 store. Juniors is 50% off, Stardom is 40%, and Entrance Craft is 30%.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

"Adam Ryland posted:

#39: Mexico, long term testing

After a short break to work on other non-TEW stuff, work has now resumed on the project. Most of my time has been spent on the Mexican companies, which are now finished, but myself and the team have also been doing some long-term simulations to see how everything evolves.

One of the things that came up quite quickly was that the rate of stat progress was too high, with rookies becoming too good, too fast. Fortunately altering the rate is quite easy in this version of the game, unlike 2016, so I've made some alterations there and we're now seeing how that will change things.

The booking engine continues to work really well, especially with regard to the AI. Tag teams in particular are working superbly, and there have been several instances of independent teams building themselves up to the point of getting hired by major companies.

In terms of crashes, the game is looking extremely stable. In Watcher games, we've been able to get through five years plus without any issues. Most crashes tend to be from player-led activities however, so we'll be looking to do a significant amount of play-testing of actually running companies properly to eliminate any other bugs.

I've mentioned before about how the AI can now assign hidden booking strategies to its workers, and that is definitely coming through in the tests. For example, 21CW (correctly) identified that one of their new graduates was a potential star and so effectively turned him into what was effectively a version of Goldberg, having him go on a long undefeated streak. We actually found that the AI was too clinical about getting people over, so we've dialed that down a little to make it
more realistic.

As I've said before, one of the hardest parts is getting the finances balanced, which is due to the large number of different situations companies can be in. We're still tweaking this, but at the moment it's looking quite nice - while the big guns still make massive amounts of money (as they should), the smaller companies can turn a small profit each month if they are well run. I'll probably tweak this to make it a little harder as currently not enough companies struggle, but not too much - I'd rather err on the side of caution as I think it's going to be more enjoyable for players if they can survive as a smaller company without having to engage in huge cost-cutting measures all the time.

As I have more University work to do this week, I'll be taking a break for a few days and letting the testing team spend some time trying out the new Mexico data. When I return I'll be doing the final game area, Oceania, and then start finalising the database in preparation for final testing.

TEW2020 sounds like it is going well. As far as I know its still on track for an April release.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
are the stardom and junior dlcs the only ones with that come with moves?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I don’t think it has moves, but entrance craft can prevent you from using certain CAWs too.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Apparently the Suda51 storymode DLC for Fire Pro Wrestling World is out on PS4?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

KungFu Grip posted:

The release date is tomorrow apparently. But hey, it's already tomorrow in Japan, so it makes sense. It's not on steam yet, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

yeah, it's out for PS4 for $9.99. I was watching someone play it a little. The writing is definitely a step up from previous story modes. Seems like it might be kind of short. 2 matches is 8% of the whole thing.