Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I’m drinking a great northern lager bc we bought a six pack of it as thank you to the old oval office next door that did the heavy brain lifting on the easiest way to move the container but he said it tastes like piss and he’s not allowed to drink anymore anyway so we gave him some dope brownies instead

Every time someone mentions Great Northern, I think of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Inkfish posted:

Ipas are really bad

If you get into craft beer and drink enough fancy pale ales, something in your brain flips and you start liking them.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Spent the weekend fishing as part of a charity fundraiser for menslink.

Caught fish, good size, not behd

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Great northern and tooheys extra dry are the two beers I will not drink

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i dont think theres a single beer I would not drink if you gave it to me for free but if you ask me to split a carton with you suddenly I will absolutely turn into the worst kind of polemic beer wanker

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

great northern is good
ipas are good

fight me

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I used to only drink german beer i think it helps with the hangover if you’re consuming mass litreage

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I'll drink most things but not vb.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The worst beer ever made is Carlton Cold

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Isaac posted:

I used to only drink german beer i think it helps with the hangover if you’re consuming mass litreage

adjunct sugars are a big hangover contributer for sure that german beers are required to avoid by law but you gotta be careful and make sure its actually an import bc every year the sneaky fuckers throw another classic german brand onto the brewed under license pile

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I think if I had to pick a worst beer ever I'd pick hammer and tongs but thats up there for sure.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

First and worst beer I ever got drunk on.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think if I had to pick a worst beer ever I'd pick hammer and tongs but thats up there for sure.

Hammer and tongs was good but then they changed it

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I believe that distinction belongs to Corona.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Lolie posted:

I believe that distinction belongs to Corona.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Holy gently caress there are some bogans on my ward. The upside to being in isolation is that I have a single room.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I used to love IPA but when I realised that it's v easy to hide flaws in brewing technique I pretty well stopped brewing them and drinking them. 8kg of hops is a v easy way to hide technical fuckups and an inability to make a good beer. Also a good IPA should have a solid malt driven backbone and something that can stand up to the hops but many don't.

I love Belgian and German beer because they are much more technique driven and are very easy to gently caress up on bad technique, especially stuff like pilsner and clean lager.

4x heavy is still the best beer in Australia closely followed by Coopers stout

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also all the mega-swill is v good in terms of the brewers technical abilities in that they can replicate the exact same thing day in and day out. That takes some precision in their process i.e. same malts, hops, and water profile (salts etc) and yeast and when all 4 can vary slightly batch to batch it does take some ability to get the same beer from it.
It's a lot easier when using something like Barrett Burston malts which are made precisely but hops do vary in oil and compound amounts and water supply can change a bit as well

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

When I brewed I used to use distilled water and then add salts to suit the water I wanted. Like a pilsner is borderline distilled water with a small amount of the base salts, whereas an English IPA is v heavy on certain salts etc. It's a whole rabbit hole tbh

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Beers complicated enough I preferred leaving it to the experts. Vodka however is really easy

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i don't exactly agree an IPA needs a malt forward base, although malty ipas are deffo bad rear end and I'm with you 100% on IPAs in general being a naff way to bury poo poo worts, at least commercially. American style IPAs can be really good but they also don't travel well at all, and they also require a level of technique and access to fresh materials in the hopping process that are hard to do without a lot of overhead, but breweries with lots of overhead tend to be owned by big companies that don't give a poo poo about sinking that much time and effort into something that will taste completely different by the time it gets across their distro chain, so the actual number of good non-seasonal American IPAs made here is pretty much nil. Major brewery stuff deffo seems impressive from a consistency perspective. I don't brew beer bc controlling for variables is insane and virtually impossible in a home setup as far as you can tell and the idea of making variable batches of poo poo using the same inputs pisses me off. The best I can do is wine from random fruits and thats super easy to get tasty with a bit of adjunct sugar but I'm aware I'm basically making trash juice

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McSpergin posted:

Beer stuff

I don't disagree with you, I know you're an engineer though and those are very engineer-y beer opinions.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
There's a 100% likelihood this was a gooncamp roughly 10 years before goons were a thing.

Post yourself.

errrr... do I need permission to post this? I'm in it. there's a loving GOOD CHANCE someone else who posts here is in it, too. This is very early 90s.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The taste buds of the old dudes that drink the bulk of macro swill are so finely attuned to the lovely flavour profile of their chosen beer that when vb changed the recipe on the dl, people immediately noticed and rioted. The old dudes who day drank at the Victory Hotel would give me a serve both for cleaning beer lines too often, and not enough, and despite the fact they were whingy pricks, they were right with such stunning accuracy that at least a couple of times I caught out my 2ic for skipping beer line cleaning day bc of their acute palates

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Cops shot a dude in the Brisbane cbd, apparently for going off with a knife and threatening to stab a bunch of people? Edward and Mary st closed off jfc

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Cops shot a dude in the Brisbane cbd, apparently for going off with a knife and threatening to stab a bunch of people? Edward and Mary st closed off jfc

I was about a street away and everyone was freaking the gently caress out as you would expect.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Used to be 30 bucks a carton and 4.8%.
Now I'm surprised it still exists.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Still in hospital, but out of isolation at least.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Lolie posted:

Still in hospital, but out of isolation at least.

How’s everything going?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

femcastra posted:

How’s everything going?

I will know more when they run some tests tomorrow. I always seem to end up in hospital on the weekend and nothing happens for a couple of days.

Hoping I will be out by Tuesday, though. Not sure how this will affect the chemo schedule

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
May be doing a home brew next week

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jestery posted:

be careful, you won't be the first poster that the homebrew setup has claimed

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Lolie posted:

I will know more when they run some tests tomorrow. I always seem to end up in hospital on the weekend and nothing happens for a couple of days.

Hoping I will be out by Tuesday, though. Not sure how this will affect the chemo schedule

Hoping you’re out soon and back home. Hospital is one of the least restful places when you actually need sleep.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Jestery posted:

There's a reason that :homebrew: exists

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

femcastra posted:

Hoping you’re out soon and back home. Hospital is one of the least restful places when you actually need sleep.

I slept OK in the single room - even slept through a blood transfusion. I'm in a two bed room now and the lady in the other bed is high care so I expect lots of interruptions tonight.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

McSpergin posted:

There's a reason that :homebrew: exists

More exxy than expected? Or saving money?

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Jestery posted:

It's a rabbit hole for sure. I built two breweries, refitted one, and gear etc probably ran me a couple thousand. If you're gonna try it I can recommend one key thing: temperature control your ferment. This is the biggest thing I ever found.

Sanitise everything, use non kit yeast (if you're trying it with kits) and get some US05 from a shop, add the yeast to some boiled and cooled water and let it bloom for half an hour, then add to the wort. Temp control can be as basic as a temp control which switches an old fridge on/off and some have two outputs, you can hook up a heater pad inside the fridge to the same controller. Run it around 20C until it's done then bottle. The output beer will be 10x better

I just remembered I have about 100L still in various aging processes that mates in Qld are looking after

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also I have about 100L in Sydney of 10+% beer

Hey Laserface - do you drink beer? I need to offload some and it's the least I can do for the fridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jestery posted:

Beer making can be as expensive as you want it to be. I bought a 9L Coopers brew kit from Aldi for $40, and use a stock pot, deep fry thermometer, digital scale and gram scale. The equipment is where you can blow heaps of cash (like $300 probe thermometers). I get decent results using a can of base malt extract, and adding speciality grains, hops, other additions, and a pack of fancy yeast.

I'm probably spending about $40 a batch/case for something that might retail for $70 or so dollars. I'm making beer that's about as cheap as the excise, but you can make derro poo poo that it much cheaper or end up spending heaps on equipment and extra poo poo like salts, irish moss and god knows what. It really depends on what you want out of brewing and how much you are willing to roll the dice and let the beer gods sort it out. If you have an analytical mind and are good with the sanitising, you can make half-decent beers without too much work.