Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

OwlFancier posted:

I would probably suggest that while it is unlikely to change things, successful extraelectoral revolutionary action is even less likely to change things, unfortunately, if only because electoral success is more likely to happen and function as a release valve before revolutionary action builds sufficient momentum.

That was I think my view before this GE but now I don't really know what it is. But also I am really just extremely not well mentally at the minute which is not helping me constructive about it. Sorry thread (I worry this reads sarky, but I mean it)

AH gently caress PAGE SNIPE uh here is a soothing christmas photo of my brother's cat

bionic vapour boy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

UK Democracy is a sham but every now and then it accidentally gives people a shot at touching the levers of power briefly. 2017 and 2019 were those.
We missed the shot though, maybe we can get another one sooner rather than later.

It's not "our" fault since we don't control the Corbyn campaign and it's mistakes or whatever since representative democracy is designed to prevent that.
But it was still a gently caress up and for a few of the gently caress ups people itt including me were like "yass Corbyn great idea thread that needle".

I dunno I think trying to reassume our sense of superiority as if nothing happened is awkward.
Our superiority is obvious compared to the centrists so we can afford to go "whoops that was a mis step huh", leftism isn't that fragile.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think that at the precise moment when the right is trying to retake control of the party is an appropriate time for self doubt, I would probably say it is the least possibly appropriate time to do that.

Right now, I think, is the time to redouble commitment, to dig in your heels and refuse to let them have anything they've hosed us to get.

Discontent will manifest electorally first, and I think it's important that the right do not get another chance to capture that impetus as they did in 1997.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Lungboy posted:

I'd put money on the fact he hired those cars and is now selling his advice to poor saps that believe the BBC article.

He says fake instagram pages have been made in his likeness to defraud potential investors. I'm those totally aren't created by him and not at all how he earns his money.

It does seem the major media will repeat random peoples claims as fact without much investigation.
There's another instagram scammer called Kieren Hamilton who uses the fact he was on Channel4s rich kids go homeless as proof of his Forex success. He said the homeless are shiftless and he wanted to prove he could do well from being homeless because of his work ethic. I think his experiment ended when the real homeless called him out as fake due to his shiny white veneers.

Or there was a British-Nigerian trader on some BBC show who had no proof of his wealth. His office was in his mams house and he drove rented cars to show off his wealthy, to encourage young people with money, like footballers to have him manage their assets. He used graphs from his play money account to show how well his trading was. He was later arrested for trying to run down a friend who had lent him some money. The court case outed him as being broke, up to his eyeballs in debt.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

A small thing that brings me comfort is that I doubt any of the other people who ran in 15 and the chicken coupers in 16 would have fared much better. Outside of Corbyn the best was someone who was basically Ed Milliband but with more triangulation.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Even a putative perfect leftist, whatever that would look like, couldn't have easily done better. Too much of the counterplay from the opposing side was just pure baseless smearing that was believed because people simply couldn't be exposed enough to the truth.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

For real guys, if you give me £1,000 today, I'll give you £2,000* in a year.

*Post-brexit pounds

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Ratjaculation posted:

*Post-brexit pounds

I'd take that bet if I weren't so strapped for cash (and trusted you wouldn't just run away with it ofc).

Even the pessimistic predictions are all <30% inflation at worst.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

A small thing that brings me comfort is that I doubt any of the other people who ran in 15 and the chicken coupers in 16 would have fared much better. Outside of Corbyn the best was someone who was basically Ed Milliband but with more triangulation.

Very much agree. It would have been more gradual decline of vote share starting from the 2015 point, I would guess. Corbyn was the best we were ever going to get.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ratjaculation posted:

*Post-brexit pounds

Which year...

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Private Speech posted:

I'd take that bet if I weren't so strapped for cash (and trusted you wouldn't just run away with it ofc).

Even the pessimistic predictions are all <30% inflation at worst.

Still fuckable...

E; Oh talking about money inflation, ignore.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Very much agree. It would have been more gradual decline of vote share starting from the 2015 point, I would guess. Corbyn was the best we were ever going to get.

We'd possibly be in a worse position, but wouldn't get the 2017 to give us hope.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Assuming he started aged 16, he's apparently got to 200k a year in four years, self taught immediately after failing his GCSEs, through a career choice that is risky at the best of times.

It reeks of bullshit, but then all of these stories do, and almost always are.

He’s almost certainly a spreadbetter who has leveraged himself out the rear end. At 16, your parents must be guardian of your funds until you turn 18. It is unlikely they would have allowed him to obtain the necessary exposure to get his capital high enough to be making 200k profit.

The way most of these jackasses get rich is by selling ‘signals’ to impressionable kids on Instagram. This probably reads something like sour grapes, but the type of conspicuous consumption these guys promote explicitly targets the most vulnerable.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

josh04 posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/2b3f3f67-2338-4253-b7f5-a36192885492

Thrilled to see the beeb getting in on the exciting new trend of "Want a 2nd job? Make £££ from home!" signs at roundabouts, jfc.

He may well be someone who just has a knack for this type of thing. Plenty of people have gotten themselves out of poverty and into riches by having a real talent that gets them huge sums of money, like footballers. What gets to me is the whole "well if I can do it, anyone can" one-size-fits-all approach. Of course only a few people can do it, that's why it pays so well.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is the DnD thing going on in London still?

I can still make it but am v. tired after work today.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think that at the precise moment when the right is trying to retake control of the party is an appropriate time for self doubt, I would probably say it is the least possibly appropriate time to do that.

Right now, I think, is the time to redouble commitment, to dig in your heels and refuse to let them have anything they've hosed us to get.

Discontent will manifest electorally first, and I think it's important that the right do not get another chance to capture that impetus as they did in 1997.

since all thats required right now is that we don't vote for starmer i don't really see the harm in some self-analysis, if not now, when?
blind faith didnt really help us out last time round lol

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Provisional plan is Session 0 (character generation, maybe some initial gaming) is 2pm on March 1st. I'll try to remember to PM/Whatsapp-group everyone in the next day or so. :) Have just finished moving house/started new job so it's all a bit hectic :shobon:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Josef bugman posted:

Was it meant to be today? If so I mega derped and made fudge instead.

Edit:

feedmegin posted:

Provisional plan is Session 0 (character generation, maybe some initial gaming) is 2pm on March 1st. I'll try to remember to PM/Whatsapp-group everyone in the next day or so. :) Have just finished moving house/started new job so it's all a bit hectic :shobon:

Can’t make that due to being in Leicester hawking fudge to LARPers (assuming you’re ok with me playing). Happy to set up a character with you separately and turn up to session 1 though.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 23, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Evidentally not! March 1st is doable, but will be late due to work existing and Capitalism being a constant loving trial.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ratjaculation posted:

*Post-brexit pounds

The development of British currency.

2019 = British Pounds

2020 = Brexit Pounds

2021 = Post-Brexit Pounds

2022 = M. Bison Pounds

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

The Question IRL posted:

2022 = M. Bison Pounds

is this like the gold standard but with the queen

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

is this like the gold standard but with the queen

M Bison Pounds the Queen?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Camrath posted:

Was it meant to be today? If so I mega derped and made fudge instead

Lol nope, you're fine. And yes, for the avoidance of doubt I am a-ok with you being in my game. :)

quote:

Evidentally not! March 1st is doable, but will be late due to work existing and Capitalism being a constant loving trial.

Not a problem, its character generation and in any case there's enough of you that people can not make a session/come in late without too much trouble. As mentioned, if you're not there your character is offscreen somewhere barfing up a dodgy doner or w/e so it's all good.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bessantj posted:

He may well be someone who just has a knack for this type of thing. Plenty of people have gotten themselves out of poverty and into riches by having a real talent that gets them huge sums of money, like footballers. What gets to me is the whole "well if I can do it, anyone can" one-size-fits-all approach. Of course only a few people can do it, that's why it pays so well.

the general outline of the piece might be true but I don't trust any of the actual figures in the story

in particular spending an entire year's profit on a car seems incredibly dumb when he could be using it as capital in the next year and turning it into even more

even if he is one of the small minority of people who can make a year-on-year profit by trading I sincerely doubt he's making anything like that much on a consistent basis

my guess is he's paid for a PR piece in an attempt to get one of the big City trading firms to headhunt (and hoping they don't go looking too closely at his actual figures)

e: actually £470 on his first day seems really suspicious as well, either that's a massive profit margin (that I am given to believe doesn't really exist in ForEx) or he did indeed have a very large amount of capital to start with

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 23, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

M Bison Pounds the Queen?

mbisonyes.gif

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Got accused of being a bot on Facebook so that's very exciting.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Communist Thoughts posted:

since all thats required right now is that we don't vote for starmer i don't really see the harm in some self-analysis, if not now, when?
blind faith didnt really help us out last time round lol
Once again, I ask you to specify what you think we should have done differently, other than nebulous poo poo like "don't believe as hard" or "have less faith in ourselves" :v:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

e: actually £470 on his first day seems really suspicious as well, either that's a massive profit margin (that I am given to believe doesn't really exist in ForEx) or he did indeed have a very large amount of capital to start with

I messed with ForEx for a while, and it was either a massively fluctuating day that day. As in massive drops/increases a few times. So his selling price returns were like a high odds bet winning (20/1 a few times during the day, 200/1 once for example).
Or he had a large sum of money to start with, and was lucky with one price drop/increase to get back pennies on it..

Edit: Ah, just what you just said. gently caress, I cant read atm

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 23, 2020

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I saw bojo out yesterday with, presumably, his family wandering through st james park.

The almighty chode himself.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pilchenstein posted:

Once again, I ask you to specify what you think we should have done differently, other than nebulous poo poo like "don't believe as hard" or "have less faith in ourselves" :v:

The conclusion is clear - from 2015-17 the attempts at reconcilation with the Labour right were the correct approach because the ideological leanings of party members and the public weren't really known. From the 2017 GE they were demonstrably known and favouring the left. At that point we should have asserted our strength, pushed for open selection to get out the rightwing or force them into silence and gotten Tom Watson fired while refusing to accept the anti-semitism attacks as legitimate criticism, encouraging the development of other leftist media outlets where people didn't have to hear liberals making things up every day and using that drive and effort to embed activism and social political organisations in communities.

We didn't so we've just got to do that last bit and hope that the Labour party either listens and retains the values that Corbyn did or is replaced by a proper leftwing party.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

The development of British currency.

2019 = British Pounds

2020 = Brexit Pounds

2021 = Post-Brexit Pounds

2022 = M. Bison Pounds

I want us to have the currency in Aliens, the dollarpound.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

happyhippy posted:

And Red Dwarf.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

How about eurodollar, the most cyberpunk of currencies :c00lbutt:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
lol cool my home internet has been down since yesterday and an engineer isn't going to come out until Wednesday whyyy

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Aphex- posted:

lol cool my home internet has been down since yesterday and an engineer isn't going to come out until Wednesday whyyy

The storms/flooding the last two weekends have probably wrecked some infrastructure that's now being prioritised by openreach...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Just in case people have forgotten how bad some of the Blair poo poo was, have a comprehensive list.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aphex- posted:

Look at it as a great chance to do some reading without distractions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1231675669488246784?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/CWUnews/status/1231693751829061633?s=20

lol they're still going

https://twitter.com/CWUnews/status/1231698054224412673?s=20

Jose fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've just had a magnificently :tinfoil: thought - what if the Centrist All-Stars deliberately forced an early election last year to prevent President Sanders from blowing all their THE LEFT ISN'T ELECTABLE bullshit out of the water?

I mean this would suppose a level of political nous and strategic thought that they've literally never demonstrated, but if they were actually competent I could see it happening.