Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ironic Twist posted:

I'm putting money down that Cassidy's romantically and unrequitedly interested in HP, which is why all of this is happening to begin with

Is any girl in the comic not crushing on HP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

rannum posted:

I still don't think this is going to be as punch-filled as people hope but man every time I think Cass has dug her hole as deep as it can go she'll throw out a line like "WOULD YOU STOP HUMORING HER"

The easy way out of this situation would be everyone getting in a big argument and Undine probably freezing them all and saying, "This is exactly why my whole team died!" and spilling the beans

which means I'm leaning toward HP showing up and dunking on Cass and making her feel unappreciated and resentful because things can't be easy.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Is any girl in the comic not crushing on HP?

Tess has only shown an interest in boys so far.
Although she and Rue are the only main characters who even interact with boys their own age, so maybe that's cheating.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Well Lime supposedly has a boyfriend according to the her own words and the gossip network, but it's also clear she used to crush on HP too

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Is it just me, or do others think Tess is going to end up taking a heel turn?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

habeasdorkus posted:

Is it just me, or do others think Tess is going to end up taking a heel turn?

My working theory is that Goops wants to make her a Dark Magical Girl because honestly we probably need to have one of those at some point, and Goops has been reaching out to her.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

One thing probably worth mentioning, which I read in the author's Twitter, is that Cassidy is using the flat side of her scissor blades, not the sharp side. So when she goes to take a shot at Undine's head, it's a bat swing, not a decapitation attempt.

She's been a real jerk, but she's not, like, trying to permanently injure Undine.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

My working theory is that Goops wants to make her a Dark Magical Girl because honestly we probably need to have one of those at some point, and Goops has been reaching out to her.

Yeah, that's what it seemed like to me, too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah I didn't think Cassidy was trying to megumurder Undine. Although now that Dark Magical Girl stuff has been brought up in here, she'd be a prime target for Goops to groom to escalate against Undine, depending on how all this plays out.

My read on Cassidy's behavior is she thinks because she's using the flat of her blade and holding back, she's being nice to Undine, when the physical aspect of this isn't even the problem. Secret bitches think everyone else is also secret bitches (except HP who is Pure and Good) seems to sum this up. Undine is a secret bitch! Cassidy's friends are secret bitches only humoring Undine! Etc etc.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Bobulus posted:

One thing probably worth mentioning, which I read in the author's Twitter, is that Cassidy is using the flat side of her scissor blades, not the sharp side. So when she goes to take a shot at Undine's head, it's a bat swing, not a decapitation attempt.

She's been a real jerk, but she's not, like, trying to permanently injure Undine.

The problem is that the scissor halves look exactly like swords, which are sharp on the other side, so that doesn't really come across at all without the reader being told.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The problem is that the scissor halves look exactly like swords, which are sharp on the other side, so that doesn't really come across at all without the reader being told.
Besides, getting hit hard with a thinned hunk of metal with significant force behind it is still going to do some significant damage. It's an important distinction that Cassidy isn't trying to decapitate Undine or slit her throat, but she's still trying to do some painful, hard-hitting damage.

I mean, in a normal spar, I'd expect her to pull her swing right when it becomes clear she's got a hit in, but that's not what she's hyped herself up for here.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I also suspect Cassidy’s weird combination of getting hit with lethal blows often while remaining completely unhurt might have destroyed her sense of proportion in physical injury? Like her power is, as we’ve seen, pretty calibrated for her to get hit with things like Bud’s lasers and still be around to talk about it. That’s going to do some poo poo to your sense of proportion.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I also suspect Cassidy’s weird combination of getting hit with lethal blows often while remaining completely unhurt might have destroyed her sense of proportion in physical injury? Like her power is, as we’ve seen, pretty calibrated for her to get hit with things like Bud’s lasers and still be around to talk about it. That’s going to do some poo poo to your sense of proportion.

"Wait, your power over water doesn't really extend to blood? AH gently caress!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

E: misread

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

habeasdorkus posted:

"Wait, your power over water doesn't really extend to blood? AH gently caress!"

It kind of does, wasn't she holding her blood in when Tess found her?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It kind of does, wasn't she holding her blood in when Tess found her?

Yes, which is why she survived, but it specifically doesn't work well on blood, which is why nobody else did.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Important Announcement:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mookiebean/dominic-deegan-oracle-for-hire-omnibus-1-reprint?ref=discovery_category_newest

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It made the goal in a week. :cripes:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Deegan completely passed me by first go around so discovering him now is just... certainly a thing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I saw this and determined to let the knowledge die with me to protect the thread. How could you?

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm dominic deegan irl

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Dominic Deegan has quite a large underground fanbase for some reason.

It's impossible for them to come together and talk about it because every Dominic Deegan discussion thread turns into a mock thread.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

It's impossible for them to come together and talk about it because every Dominic Deegan discussion thread turns into a mock thread.

Good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When Dominic Deegan started, it was about passable quality for something done by a high schooler. I can see the stars aligning for people to wind up liking it then.

Then 20 years passed and now it's just terrible that middle-aged man is still about the same person as he was when he was an idiot little teenaged grub, and every half-hearted attempt at growing or doing something outside the box was terrible.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Cagleverse, Reed Bahia took down the entire Alter gang by himself! Good job, Reed!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Cagleverse, Reed Bahia took down the entire Alter gang by himself! Good job, Reed!

If that don't impress his dad, nothing will.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ashcans posted:

I saw this and determined to let the knowledge die with me to protect the thread. How could you?

I am compelled to browse all comic Kickstarters (probably because I back so many) and post bad ones. I should do more, but it'd be mostly this month's Faro's naked superhero/villain women pinup collection. And often not really webcomicky enough.
But this was DD, so it was notable enough to post.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

When Dominic Deegan started, it was about passable quality for something done by a high schooler. I can see the stars aligning for people to wind up liking it then.

Then 20 years passed and now it's just terrible that middle-aged man is still about the same person as he was when he was an idiot little teenaged grub, and every half-hearted attempt at growing or doing something outside the box was terrible.

While it does on some level require wanting to grow as an artist, it's still amazing Mookie's work has not improved in all that time from sheer repetition alone.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/krekalie/status/1231529714013081600

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Hello thread, I am trying to remember the name of a webcomic I encountered in the early 00s. It centered around students in a gifted program at a school, and one of its main features was that it had been running for seemingly ever, and had a very extensive cast of characters. It had a pretty basic side-on perspective, art that was maybe two or three steps up from Foxtrot, and an incredibly consistent, oldschool style.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 23, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Discendo Vox posted:

Hello thread, I am trying to remember the name of a webcomic I encountered in the early 00s. It centered around students in a gifted program at a school, and one of its main features was that it had been running for seemingly ever, and had a very extensive cast of characters. It had a pretty basic side-on perspective.
Joke answer: Gunnerkrigg Court

Serious answer: Can you remember any other details? What sort of gifted program was it? Any distinguishing notes about the main character(s)?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Gah, it's been forever, but what I can recall is:
  • This was in a mostly grounded world, and it was a conventional public school gifted program sort of setting- no magickal destinies. Vaguely pop-sci references were a mainstay.
  • One of the main characters was african-american and had dreads, which the artist depicted as a sort of palm tree look. His friend and other main perspective character was white and had an unstated but widely known crush on some other student.
  • The cast was generally ethnically diverse, though the whole series was purely lighthearted so that never came up as a relevant subject.
  • The school guard was also african-american, though he appeared infrequently.
  • One of the other major characters (I swear the cast page had like 50 people on it) wore lab safety glasses at all times.
  • iirc there was a nerd/paranormal activities club that had characters who were frequently the butt of jokes- iirc one of them was always wearing elf ears and another spoke klingon at all times, or something like that.

The comic was mostly black and white and there was basically no character development, but extended plotlines would occur around, say, a science fair project in a sort of gag-a-day format that could last for months. It's bugging the hell out of me because I remember reading a bunch of it way back when, but can't recall anything else. The title might have been something about the fact that it was a gifted student program- "gifted and talented", or something like that.

No, it's not paranatural or dangan ronpa.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 23, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Alright, I don't know that one but hopefully someone will.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/statuses/1229974320656441344

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Extremely cursed content, thank you.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Bud vomiting lasers is a sadly missed opportunity but I'm pleased with what we got.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I love that one is pretty close, but my favorite has to be...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The best part of the joke is that the video is almost two and a half hours long. :allears:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Bet she put in like 15 ad breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I like that the Sans one isn't actually all that far off, either.