Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

you put microcells indoors, too. my office has lte cells in it already. i imagine they could upgrade to 5g if it ever mattered

it's stupid and bad

they can’t , the antennae don’t cover 20-whatever gigahertz , different radios , different mfr etc

they just want outdoor public coverage for now and stadiums and things that are wide open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol a beautiful fantasy

i love it

can't wait to read about this wonderful business innovation in the trade rags

this is what they want to do to some degree but they can’t execute due to the logistics of it at this time

Verizon’s CBRS deployments aren’t done by Verizon they use a third party firm (Federated Wireless) to install and operate.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Partycat posted:

things that are wide open.
ah, like your mother's legs

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

The Management posted:

I didn’t know the verge scale went down to 4

i assumed the picture was fake for this reason

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

on the normal verge scale that runs from 6-10 a 4 is a major accomplishment in its own way

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

qirex posted:

on the normal verge scale that runs from 6-10 a 4 is a major accomplishment in its own way

true and a very fair point :hmmyes:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
a 4? does it burn your balls off twice, or something?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

a product that will literally burn your balls is a verge 7
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/13/21136283/msi-prestige-14-review-laptop-specs-price-pink-content-creator

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/12/21134985/essential-phone-shutting-down-andy-rubin-startup

rip essential

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

joanna stern continues to be the best tech writer

https://twitter.com/JoannaStern/status/1229068411231186946?s=20

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
who could have predicted this

https://twitter.com/mondoir/status/1228355380528451584

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

step 1: android makers reveal New Thing
step 2: press breathlessly asks is apple being left behind????
step 3: new thing is actually extremely bad and broken
step 4: rinse, repeat

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
anyone got a link to coby kyros review

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Transforming [the Galaxy Z Flip] from a somewhat thick but very pocketable 3-inch square to a 6.7-inch full-screen smartphone is both nostalgic and futuristic, conjuring memories of the Nokia 2720 or the Motorola razr while simultaneously offering a truly postmodern smartphone experience.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

a truly postmodern smartphone experience.

... yeah, that i can believe

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
samsung made the first phone brave enough to ask: what is phone?

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Anroid is like hemorroid but with more users I think, and I love it, I love it so much.

SO loving MUCH,

GÑEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
someone post about the extremely heavy and possibly bad s20 ultra NOW.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

it's bad op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CoolRanch posted:

sounds like they hosed up the camera software, but may have the hardware on par with huawei, so with tweaks could become top-tier.

otherwise mostly just really expensive?

and android bad of course.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

lol samsung "top tier"

"right up there with huawei" lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LastInLine posted:

lol samsung "top tier"

"right up there with huawei" lmao

huawei has easily the best cameras

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I haven’t paid attention to the android market for a while, pretty cool that the “open nature” of android has pretty much just been boiled down to Samsung.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
remember wintel? well now it’s samroid.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i rather be 3 generations behind on hardware than have a samsung

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I have never owned a Samsung product that wasn’t a tremendous piece of poo poo, including a very expensive refrigerator that would randomly fire ice cubes across the room and lost the ability to circulate air due to condensation and ice build-up.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I have never owned a Samsung product

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am pretty decided that the downside has boiled down to android being poo poo for the most part though. things would be way better had we had a wintel/pc-clone situation where someone could ship working software for the perfectly adequate-to-great hardware.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Perplx posted:

i rather be 3 generations behind on hardware than have a samsung

the good news is owning a current android is like owning a 3 generation old iphone so you can have both!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

the good news is owning a current android is like owning a 3 generation old iphone so you can have both!

this is entirely wrong. the flaws of decrepit iphones are entirely unlike the flaws of current android flagships.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not least the old iphone will reliably get software updates for longer.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/9to5Google/status/1234191942835212288

considering how much attention google pays to android wear this was probably developed by the interns interns interns intern

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Google/WearOS/feature/gregs-summer-project_do-not-merge

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Driving back to my office after a lunch out, I noticed that Google Maps navigation mode in Android Auto has a very new useful feature for drivers:

A little icon near the top right that shows the current weather conditions.

Turns out it was raining. Thanks Google Maps, wouldn't have ever known without you!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

James Baud posted:

Driving back to my office after a lunch out, I noticed that Google Maps navigation mode in Android Auto has a very new useful feature for drivers:

A little icon near the top right that shows the current weather conditions.

Turns out it was raining. Thanks Google Maps, wouldn't have ever known without you!

thats a feature of android auto not google maps

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

thats a feature of android auto not google maps

Isn't that worse, since Android Auto guarantees "Auto" which at least to me strongly implies being surrounded by windows?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

if they could have put a meter there for your car battery or a clock showing the times in London , Tokyo, and NYC - well believe me sir they would have

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

James Baud posted:

Isn't that worse, since Android Auto guarantees "Auto" which at least to me strongly implies being surrounded by windows?

while youre correct the whole story is dumber than you think

when they rolled out the redesign they got rid of the card-based home screen to make a carplay ripoff homescreen instead. the big problem with that was that their app grid was 4x3 and no one has 12 apps they use in the car so they put in a bunch of filler bullshit that was google assistant shortcuts that no one would ever use like reminders calendar and the one relevant to our discussion weather. the takeaway here is that weather in android auto begins life just to fill in a spot in a grid for promotional materials for cars showing android auto

a lesser problem with this redesign was the homescreen was that in practice it was never used (the user toggled between media and navigation screens only ever needing to visit the homescreen to switch out one of those for another) and so they eventually gave the user the ability to get rid of poo poo they didnt use on the homescreen which was of course all of these dumb assistant actions which included our beloved weather

on this update they added a toggle for "weather in the statusbar" which when enabled put the current temperature in the statusbar. pedants pointed out that the option was misnamed in that it didnt tell you the weather but only the temperature and so on the next update they changed it to actually show a conditions icon and thats the story of how a feature no one wanted and is entirely useless was born into the world

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 3, 2020

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mlyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm kidding, that was a very nice story

anroid lol