Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Thank you, that’s helpful. I am not usually the best twitch-heavy player and usually do better with characters who have a little more passive defense. I do like sorc thematically so still might give it a go for a few levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Lahn is the best low gear class out of those three and she can fly. I think she has pretty good sustain and probably has the best base stats out of the three.

I main DK and the succession is weird. It feels overtuned for PVP and worse in several grindspots in PVE. I like it though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm playing Warrior, who seems real fun. Might pick up berserker next because he looks really dumb when sat on a horse and i'm all about that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You cant go wrong with mystic if you want a tanky powerhouse. She's one of bulkiest classes in the game, with strong self sustain and for some reason is also very mobile and hits like a truck. She doesn't have a succession yet though so its kinda hard to know where she'll fall after getting one but even now she's one of the best classes for low end and high end pve.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does this game still have a ton of information overload? I tried to play for a while but the Korean style of UI design is really hard for me to follow.

How're the P2W aspects these days?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
It seems a little weird to tell someone new to the game to completely avoid the best places to grind. Better to scout it out quick and then go to town as per usual, and if someone wants to be a jackass they can enjoy the penalty for killing you. More specifically almost every spot I have been in was marked on the map in some way. Unless you expect them to grind on random beetles/deer/buffalo instead.

I leveled a Striker up to 57 prior to the 22nd, and while it is fun to play the sustain is really bad and once I began dipping my toes into the Valencia storyline he was getting mulched. By comparison, the new class is absolutely amazing. Fantastic sustain, good mobility and while their animations are a little slow the skills hit like a truck and you can easily flow into other skills.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Does this game still have a ton of information overload? I tried to play for a while but the Korean style of UI design is really hard for me to follow.

How're the P2W aspects these days?

It does, but the UI at least looks a little more clean than before. I honestly dont really get the P2W arguments to this game because the amount IRL money you have to dump into outfits to re-sell on the markets to be able to afford high end gear is obscene and with the coming POE like seasons make even less sense since most people might jump into playing that instead of the standard servers. Who knows though how that will play out though

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Arthil posted:

It seems a little weird to tell someone new to the game to completely avoid the best places to grind. Better to scout it out quick and then go to town as per usual, and if someone wants to be a jackass they can enjoy the penalty for killing you. More specifically almost every spot I have been in was marked on the map in some way. Unless you expect them to grind on random beetles/deer/buffalo instead.

What's this referring to

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

stump collector posted:

What's this referring to

There's all kinds of spots with wild animals rather than packs of threatening enemies. What you'd kill to gather meat and stuff, or do the hunting stuff.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

I came back to play this game and I am stuck trying to figure out which of my characters to gear first. All of them are at the point where I need to start investing in boss weapons etc, but I'm struggling to choose between my lahn, mystic, sorcerer and guardian.

My main concerns stem from having a broken brain and you guys probably can't help with that but it's worth a shot, so here goes.

I like lahn awakening, but I am worried that lahn succession will ruin my fun because it will be better numerically and at the same time less fun to play and that would honestly drive me crazy. Sorcerer is good all around and probably a safe choice except all the talk about how it's complicated to play and I'll probably try and learn it but in the end I might just mash buttons because I am lazy. Guardian seems cool except I am probably riding the new character high and haven't even tried her awakening. I think Mystic is just my safety class, it seems easy to play and I like punching things and there's a dragon!

Games fun I am just paralyzed by indecision and know I am a chronic reroller.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im thinking Mystic is overall the most solid choice because even if her succession ends up being better than awakening its still very satisfying to play and very similar to awakening anyways.

I'm liking guardian a lot though and I'll probably stick with her. The hits feel so meaty, she has amazing bulk too, being able to grind a zone with red/purple mobs without taking a whole lot of damage and just leeching it back from her attacks, got from 50-55 in like an hour or two and tagging a level 1 Shai with her caused her to be 54 when I turned in all the shared exp so I can use her to life skill.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Thinking of picking this up on sale, any classes to stay away from for a pve focus? Reading reddit and official forums it seems everything but Warrior and Sorceress is crap, but that's pretty standard for those sources.

But sounds like balance might be all over the place with all the awakening and succession stuff so just didn't want to choose something and regret it.

Tried the Guardian a bit on a trial and had some cool stuff but might be interested in something with faster animations too.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Fried Sushi posted:

Thinking of picking this up on sale, any classes to stay away from for a pve focus? Reading reddit and official forums it seems everything but Warrior and Sorceress is crap, but that's pretty standard for those sources.

But sounds like balance might be all over the place with all the awakening and succession stuff so just didn't want to choose something and regret it.

Tried the Guardian a bit on a trial and had some cool stuff but might be interested in something with faster animations too.

play whatever looks cool to you. i think you should go after succession classes because they take fewer skill points to be monster pve classes

Arthil posted:

There's all kinds of spots with wild animals rather than packs of threatening enemies. What you'd kill to gather meat and stuff, or do the hunting stuff.

yeah i thought this was strange starting out. i gathered lions for an hour or two yesterday and it was suuuuuuuuuuper good

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Is there still a guild? I played this religiously 4 years ago (pre-ordered conquerors package lol) , but decided to come back and try it out once more. I'm starting to get into it again.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yeah, home channel is serendia 4 if you want an invite. There's a guild discord too if you want to ask questions there. See the OP for invite link.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Really enjoying the Guardian awakening, still retains the weighty feel of the battle axe while being way faster. Feels good to just drag an entire pack of mobs into another one with her sprint and then just decimate them at the same time.

Too bad that this game is crashier than ever. I dont even know whats causing it anymore, just straight up CTD without error warnings. I'm going to try opening up my firewall and using a vpn to see if it helps, if it doesn't I'm going to start turning off background apps

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I haven't played in a year, what are the big new things I should know about?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Everything is good now

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The list is insanely long but for starters you should pick up the daily scroll bundle from the loyalty shop for the next two weeks, then make sure you run them with a party of gamers because they're valuable.

Fourth anniversary events are starting and they will probably give away a bunch of poo poo so it's a good time to be a bdo gamer.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Svensken posted:

I haven't played in a year, what are the big new things I should know about?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TxLD2HpGYlU-GiugFRG4pchWqjfck99z6m63TxrUhQY/edit

stump collector
May 28, 2007
until i saw these all put together i had no idea how many good qol changes were made this year. good stuff.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water
Started this game back up again. Joined some random guild while I was trying to figure out if I still want to stick with this thing. Bought it about 2 years ago and never used any of the 49.99 pack stuff so I came back to a load of goodies + more. Seems like the game improved from what it was a few years ago but I am not really too sure as I am playing it easy on the olvia servers.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
The game is, indeed, good

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Svensken posted:

The game is, indeed, good

My problem with that game is I'm missing a 'red line'. Something that keeps me going. When I reach lvl 58 or so I have no idea what to do...

stump collector
May 28, 2007
There's no level cap...but essentially levels are pretty hard to come by after 61. I'd suggest trying more characters, or trying out some life skills. Also, there's nothing wrong with playing it and moving on, and maybe coming back for new content. They've been doing a really good job with QOL changes and smoothing out the lovely progression.

Also, starting next week*, they're going to give out a tri boss set that can't be enhanced, so you can feel free to sell that or keep it if it's an upgrade / you want to play alts. Personally I'll probably sell the armor and keep weapons to try out a new class to me.

*It's happened on every other bdo server but na/eu didn't patch it in this week or announce it but kakao sometimes lags behind on events for whatever reason

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what's your goal in this game? What are you building towards, on a short-term or a long-term basis? Are there raids or dungeons or cool boss fights? Is PVP the main name of the game?

Also, which class would you say is the most BDO? The one that best matches the general aesthetics of the game and the sorts of things you will be doing as a player?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Game is free on Steam till the 2nd if anyone was interested.

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Darth Walrus posted:

So what's your goal in this game? What are you building towards, on a short-term or a long-term basis? Are there raids or dungeons or cool boss fights? Is PVP the main name of the game?

Also, which class would you say is the most BDO? The one that best matches the general aesthetics of the game and the sorts of things you will be doing as a player?

From what I heard so far it's just more and better equipment and more level.
A tutorial or something like that would be awesome, because it's not just +1, +2, ..., +14, and so one,
instead weapons get a special name and I have no idea what weapon is better..

I played Maehwa. It's melee class. I really like it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this game is free so im gonna play it. whats a good class for a beginner who wants to trash some mobs?

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

Communist Thoughts posted:

this game is free so im gonna play it. whats a good class for a beginner who wants to trash some mobs?

Chalkece posted:

I played Maehwa. It's melee class. I really like it.

I would give Maehwa or Musa a try.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I think warrior is pretty good right now. Or at least it was good enough to get nerfed 3 weeks in a row, not sure how those did though since I don't main a warrior.

Chalkece
Jan 27, 2019

gwrtheyrn posted:

I think warrior is pretty good right now. Or at least it was good enough to get nerfed 3 weeks in a row, not sure how those did though since I don't main a warrior.

Yeah, if you like a slow melee class with a lot of tank go for it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On careful inspection, the Lahn looks classy as poo poo and nicely unique, and I like how they engage with the open world. Anything I need to know about if I want to dive in with one of those first?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

On careful inspection, the Lahn looks classy as poo poo and nicely unique, and I like how they engage with the open world. Anything I need to know about if I want to dive in with one of those first?

Lahn seems pretty strong for a newer player, I am working on getting to 60 on one now, I started with guardian and switched to Lahn to try it out, Mystic also seems pretty new player friendly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, what is the pre-ascension Lahn inspired by? I know people say 'Chinese martial arts', but I mean specifically. I've certainly never seen anything like that weapon before.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, what is the pre-ascension Lahn inspired by? I know people say 'Chinese martial arts', but I mean specifically. I've certainly never seen anything like that weapon before.

I mean it's basically a chain whip except with an axe head on one end which is terribly impractical because how are you controlling edge alignment that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

I mean it's basically a chain whip except with an axe head on one end which is terribly impractical because how are you controlling edge alignment that?

The edge seems to matter less than the fact that it's a large lump of metal swinging at very high speed. It does make it slightly more aerodynamic, I guess.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
It's more art than martial

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ah, looks like the answer is 'Chinese ribbon dancing'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4VwerzhBAg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

The edge seems to matter less than the fact that it's a large lump of metal swinging at very high speed. It does make it slightly more aerodynamic, I guess.

The edge only 'matters' because it's just a video game. I was more commenting that it doesn't exist in real life. There are plenty of examples of metal object at end of long chain/rope in chinese martial arts, just none of them are bladed.