Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I have the Ryobi automatic. You set the desired pressure, hit start and let it go til it's full.

Ooh, didn't know they had multiple versions. So at that point, the difference between them probably goes to whichever batteries you already have on hand.

Also, Project Farm did a test of inflators just a couple months ago, may be worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkxpuzYggd4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is the one and it's only $35 this week!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Dual-Function-Inflator-Deflator-Tool-Only-P747/308746324

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I've been buying both Milwaukee and Ryobi stuff and, while the Ryobi isn't as heavy duty, it's prefectly viable for most things. Unless you're using it for a living, the prices are super attractive. Plus, the same parent company owns both brands, so you have to think there's some engineering crossover.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love the bits I own and fully intend to get many more.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

One benefit with a pancake compressor, or something with a real air tank in general, is they are a bit more multipurpose. You can use it for something like an airbrush, hook a nozzle to it and blow/sweep with compressed air, or blowing out lines and the such. I actually blew out my irrigation lines with my crappy little one this fall.

Of course, if you just want it for tires and nothing else then one of those little dedicated jobs is probably fine if not speedy.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Made a offer on a house Friday with another one made as well and got the news yesterday morning that mine was accepted so I'm pretty excited. Is on an acre of land so I'll be getting a dog finally. It also has an oversized 3 car garage with plenty of room for large workbenches and tools. I think another MR2 turbo is in my future to fix up...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
And now I have yet another Ryobi tool. Damnit

Also thanks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're going to home depot shortly to spend some birthday gift cards.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Can't wait for the emission testing station to reopen tomorrow.

I feel very wrong.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I’ve got a Viair that plugs in to 12v outlets and it’s awesome, blows away my ryobi for car tires the ryobi takes way too long so I use that for bike tires and basketballs and poo poo.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That reminds me, I need to get a Viair to carry on the biek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I’ve got a Viair that plugs in to 12v outlets and it’s awesome, blows away my ryobi for car tires the ryobi takes way too long so I use that for bike tires and basketballs and poo poo.

Which Ryobi are you using? The one I linked does a tire in like 3 minutes tops. And you don't have to sit there and hold a button or a check a gauge or anything.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So it turns out that Makita either has or is just about to release an 18V version of their portable inflator: https://www.makita.co.nz/products/model/DMP180

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Which Ryobi are you using? The one I linked does a tire in like 3 minutes tops. And you don't have to sit there and hold a button or a check a gauge or anything.

I have the model before that and I’ve burned up two of them filling car tires must be the new one is a better design

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

freelop posted:

I'm not too worried about the virus, I suspect it's got a whole lot more infecting to do but I'm gambling on my immune system fighting it off of I do get it.

Our workplace decided last Monday to remind everyone that on a third instance of absence within a rolling 12 months you will have sick pay removed (regardless of whether you have a doctor's sick note) and will need to appeal to get it back so it's pretty likely it will spread through us.

It’s less about getting sick from it directly, though that’s also a concern. What I’m worried about is the economic impact of a massive disruption to China, plus a wave of panic hoarding when the first local outbreak hits, plus the absence of competent leadership here in the US, and lastly the risk to my aging mother’s life.

Italy’s starting to see increasing spread and Twitter is full of empty shelf photos from Italian stores. They’ve now instituted mandatory quarantines in some towns. South Korea’s seen a 20x increase in cases in the last week and they’re talking about taking drastic measures. It’s basically inevitable that it’ll spread to every country, and herd panic responses and poor leadership will follow. Might be smart to stock up on groceries and essentials to last a couple of weeks. Worst case, you just use em anyway.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Is this the right thread to bitch about coronavirus? My Chinese manufacturing jobs have been hosed all month.

Stupid virus.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
A whole bunch of people are about to have a really hard lesson in why 'just in time logistics' that rely on trans-oceanic shipping is a Real Bad Plan if you want resiliency in your supply chain.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If it lands in the wild here we are totally hosed between employees with insufficient/no sick leave and insufficient/no access to healthcare.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Geoj posted:

If it lands in the wild here we are totally hosed between employees with insufficient/no sick leave and insufficient/no access to healthcare.

It’s almost impossible that it won’t, and it’s plausible that it has already. I’m surprised how little people seem to be doing to prepare. Not tin foil hat poo poo, but just things like stocking up for store shortages. I’m also hunting for some motor mounts for my NB2 before stocks run out, because, you know, priorities.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Liquid Communism posted:

A whole bunch of people are about to have a really hard lesson in why 'just in time logistics' that rely on trans-oceanic shipping is a Real Bad Plan if you want resiliency in your supply chain.

One of the branches I support has 600 tons of plastics on the wharf that they cant touch for two weeks. It also came by ship.

Talk about loving daft as I seriously doubt thats a problem. But it does show just how distruptive covid19 is being

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, I'm in the IT industry and we're already seeing projects get pushed back because all the major manufacturers are seeing production slowdowns or stoppages.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geoj posted:

Are you one of the following -

Over 75?
Live in a filthy shithole where traditional Chinese Medicine is the primary healthcare?
A smoker?
Have pre existing immudeficency?
Locked in a cruise liner with no effective quarantine control?
In a Korean religious cult?
A pants shitter who is getting wound up by the BS of the media / C-SPAM? - No, second thoughts I'll leave this in because there's a lot of absolute BS being spread about Covid-19 and honestly, it's just getting truly stupid the misinformation and fear being spread

Then yes you indeed have something to worry about! The rest of us.... pretty much even if we get it, it'll be a complete non event - the rates of even hospital are low for anyone under 50. There's a lot of doubt the 2% fatality rate is close to reality due to cases that just don't develop into anything or just a bit of a sniffle - like influenza and thence just go unnoticed and uncounted. Most of the time you feel a bit under the weather, three days later you are fine. Sure some cases get bad esp iif you have a pre-existing issue beforehand (or live in areas where the air is dirty / you are a smoker / old) but bluntly put the chances of even it getting like that are low except if you are old or in piss poor health to begin with.

And unlike Influenza, this is behaving exactly like other coronaviruses and barely affecting young people at all. Also it looks like it doesnt spread well in warmer enviroments.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 24, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I have it on good authority from the man that invaded my group at the bar on a work trip that Covid-19 is a bioweapon, designed and unleashed by the government.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I always have enough beans and rice for weeks if not months, as well as a white gas camp stove. Living in Florida you learn to be without power and groceries for at least a week if not longer. I imagine if poo poo gets weird it will be much the same.

I've had the bird flu, the swine flu, and other crap that was killing folks and freaking people out, and beat it off in a couple days. I've quit smoking thanks to my vape pen (which I'm weaning off of much faster than I thought I would) and I'm running again. Fuckin' bring it on.

My mom and dad will absolutely die though, being smokers in their sixties.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 24, 2020

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I get corona virus I'm going on a tinder rampage.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

jonathan posted:

If I get corona virus I'm going on a tinder rampage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ19qh4g2-o

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Are you one of the following -

Over 75?
Live in a filthy shithole where traditional Chinese Medicine is the primary healthcare?
A smoker?
Have pre existing immudeficency?
Locked in a cruise liner with no effective quarantine control?
In a Korean religious cult?
A pants shitter who is getting wound up by the BS of the media / C-SPAM? - No, second thoughts I'll leave this in because there's a lot of absolute BS being spread about Covid-19 and honestly, it's just getting truly stupid the misinformation and fear being spread

Then yes you indeed have something to worry about! The rest of us.... pretty much even if we get it, it'll be a complete non event - the rates of even hospital are low for anyone under 50. There's a lot of doubt the 2% fatality rate is close to reality due to cases that just don't develop into anything or just a bit of a sniffle - like influenza and thence just go unnoticed and uncounted. Most of the time you feel a bit under the weather, three days later you are fine. Sure some cases get bad esp iif you have a pre-existing issue beforehand (or live in areas where the air is dirty / you are a smoker / old) but bluntly put the chances of even it getting like that are low except if you are old or in piss poor health to begin with.

And unlike Influenza, this is behaving exactly like other coronaviruses and barely affecting young people at all. Also it looks like it doesnt spread well in warmer enviroments.
I actually agree with CI on something.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I took everyone's suggestions on tire inflators and just bought the one wirecutter recommended since it has a 12V option :v:.

We only bought a house a year ago, so I'm still collecting/buying tools. Sounds like a lot of people have bought in to the Ryobi battery system, but Makita may also be good?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Makita is better quality and more expensive than Ryobi.

But Ryobi is more affordable and has a bigger variety of tools and other poo poo (fans, radios, lights etc) that work on their batteries, all my poo poo is Ryobi, I even have a Ryobi lawnmower and it's awesome. It's all fine for me as a homeowner, I don't need DeWalt/Makita level tools.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Management obsession with sickness absence is crazy. Our office rule is if you're sick, DO NOT COME TO WORK TO INFECT EVERYONE ELSE. We can manage when you're sick, we'll do whatever you have booked in, but if you give that poo poo to everyone then we simply cannot function so please stay the gently caress away. You're not being a hero for rolling up to work infectious, you're being an utter oval office. Your job is literally not that important that you can't take a couple of days to get over it to the detriment of the others in your office.

That’s great for those who have sick days. I’m a contractor that my host company won’t convert because the CIO is... odd about the position. gently caress you, I’m coming in unless I’m dying, because I can’t afford to lose multiple days’ pay. Fortunate for them that I don’t really get sick often I’m Typhoid Mary
Actually, my supervisor is pretty cool and perturbed at the situation re: not converting to full time regular employee, so he tells me to take a day as needed and still put down the hours. If anyone asked, I’m doing a project for him, working from home.

Rhyno posted:

Just tires? I bought the ryobi auto filler and will probably never touch a compressor again.

I have a 5HP 30-gallon air compressors - and I’ll still use the little Ryobi inflator so I don’t have to drag the air hose out. It takes a lot longer, but, eh. I may upgrade to the inflator that you can set the desired pressure and walk away - mine is the little guy that you have to hold the trigger on, but I got it for $15 at an outlet tool store.

... aaand now I’ll be ordering one.

Liquid Communism posted:

We’re having issues getting new laptops for new associates at work. Never mind that HR keeps hiring people with 3 days notice...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hi chat thread!
I have a bad habit of going to thrift stores and buying poo poo I don't need.

One of my more recent purchases:
Polycom VVX500 IP phones.

$5 each but the color of the week was purple so $5 for both.

I just got my PBX up and running and I'm all set to plug them in when I realize I can't trunk it to Google Voice anymore without buying an Obihai adapter because GV doesn't run XMPP anymore :(

Anytime I tell anyone else their response is usually something to the effect of, "why the gently caress do you need a house phone?"

Why the gently caress do you need a house phone?
I still have one connected to an Ooma VOIP, but the Ooma box recently decided its Ethernet port no longer worked. So, basically, I have the equivalent of a Google Voice number. Never rings at the house, but we get the voice mail notices. And it’s finally been long enough not giving out that number that no one has left a voice mail for months. We still use that number for emergencies and bill collectors, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Makita is better quality and more expensive than Ryobi.

But Ryobi is more affordable and has a bigger variety of tools and other poo poo (fans, radios, lights etc) that work on their batteries, all my poo poo is Ryobi, I even have a Ryobi lawnmower and it's awesome. It's all fine for me as a homeowner, I don't need DeWalt/Makita level tools.

That’s basically my view on it. If I were a pro, my tools would be Dewalt or Milwaukee or some such, but the Ryobi stuff is holding up fine for homeowner stuff. It doesn’t hurt that you can buy the older NiCad tools and use the LiIon batteries with them, making used tools viable. Almost all of my Ryobi are the old blue tools. I bought a big set on eBay a couple years ago for cheap.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm in the "hosed by china quarantine" camp too. My bosses love cutting things right down to the wire, so we have a project that has to be in Germany by may 1 and we just placed the order for over 80 unique parts from china. Normally our shop over there would knock them out by April 1 but they're saying they're at 60% capacity and lead times are stretched out. Our local shops no quoted the order so they were our last resort.

So yeah we're not going to make it. The worst part is that I'm also going to lose two weeks just to bad timing, my manager has a newborn in the hospital so he's been MIA last week, and the boss over him is at a customer site for this entire week, so no decisions are going to get made. I need those guys to approve POs.

I'm actually really worried about my manager, he's just.. out. No comms of any kind, which means it's bad.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I have a 5HP 30-gallon air compressors - and I’ll still use the little Ryobi inflator so I don’t have to drag the air hose out. It takes a lot longer, but, eh. I may upgrade to the inflator that you can set the desired pressure and walk away - mine is the little guy that you have to hold the trigger on, but I got it for $15 at an outlet tool store.

I have a nice air compressor that I have used to build a fence and power air tools and fill the kids sports equipment but if I am filling up some tires I pull out some old Slime brand 12v compressor that has a flashlight on it and plug that bitch in. it weighs a pound the other weighs 40-50 I am not dragging that from the workshop to the driveway (workshop is way in the back of my yard)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

everdave posted:

I have a nice air compressor that I have used to build a fence and power air tools and fill the kids sports equipment but if I am filling up some tires I pull out some old Slime brand 12v compressor that has a flashlight on it and plug that bitch in. it weighs a pound the other weighs 40-50 I am not dragging that from the workshop to the driveway (workshop is way in the back of my yard)

you could buy an airline extension reel! You would still need to turn the compressor on and drag the end of the hose to the wheel but that is more comparable to grabbing a 12v/ryobi compressor and the faffing required to plug that in/grab a charged battery

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Thanks guys. I’m suburbanite who calls a professional for most major home repairs/maintenance, so Makita sounds perfect for me. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

That’s great for those who have sick days. I’m a contractor that my host company won’t convert because the CIO is... odd about the position. gently caress you, I’m coming in unless I’m dying, because I can’t afford to lose multiple days’ pay. Fortunate for them that I don’t really get sick often I’m Typhoid Mary

So, basically, I have the equivalent of a Google Voice number. Never rings at the house, but we get the voice mail notices. And it’s finally been long enough not giving out that number that no one has left a voice mail for months. We still use that number for emergencies and bill collectors, though.

I've been sick as hell for a few days, still haven't been converted to FT. So no sick days. I was already into OT when I left Friday, so I threw away several hundred bucks by not going in Sat or Sun. :sigh: (this was going to be a ~55-60 hour week) Not sure yet if I'm going in tonight. Problem is, I basically have an emergency-only insurance plan through the ACA (it'll pay for routine PCP visits with a $25 copay, but nothing else until I hit an $8000 deductible), and my PCP won't take a "routine illness" visit, as he only does internal medicine. I think my employer requires a dr note after 3 days. I'll have to check with the clinic I use to see if my HMO will cover me seeing other doctors at the same location; with the insurance I had last year, they would.

I give out my GV number for everything, unless it's to someone that will actually be calling me (i.e. friend, coworker, boss). Even job applications get the GV number, and my official phone number on file with my employer is my GV number (since they report job history to Lexis-Nexis). Everyone knows I work nights, so they're used to getting sent straight to voicemail if they call when I'm normally sleeping.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/MulticamTropic/status/1230661692113244166?s=20

The future.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Darchangel posted:

Why the gently caress do you need a house phone?

I'M GLAD YOU ASKED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4dkBF5anU

Edit: I mean I have a phone with my FiOS service but I like loving around with telephony. It's sort of my wheelhouse.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 24, 2020

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
AvE on YouTube did a comparison breakdown of Milwaukee vs Makita vs DeWalt. And in his opinion the design/quality goes

1Makita
2Milwaukee
3DeWalt

I have all Milwaukee stuff just because I had a bunch of their batteries and chargers already from a contractor who skipped out on a job.

AvE's opinions were based on plastic quality and bearing support etc.

One nice thing about Milwaukee is that high quality cheap Chinese counterfeit batteries are plentiful.

Not sure if this is the video but it's a good watch anyways.

https://youtu.be/ZY7XO5H_6HY

Also if you haven't watched AvE before. He's a BC Canada guy who is some sort of electrical engineer or maybe the world's smartest millwright ? Who works at a big mining operation and his videos are like meditation to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I knew that had to come out sooner or later.

quote:

Edit: I mean I have a phone with my FiOS service but I like loving around with telephony. It's sort of my wheelhouse.

That's reason enough for me.

jonathan posted:

One nice thing about Milwaukee is that high quality cheap Chinese counterfeit batteries are plentiful.

Ryobi off-brand batteries are also plentiful, and about half the price. I've had excellent results from the pair of no-name 5.0 AH batteries for Ryobi I bought some time ago. They're holding up well.