Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Inacio posted:

i've never seen a Citizen's take on this/their 6mi mansion

"He was already a millionaire" and "he's independently wealthy".

But "he also deserves to be paid a lot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Of course you have to pay the CEO, and of course a genius like Crobbler should be compensated properly. After all, he's doing 12+ hours of coding every day!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: 300 million $$$ & 7 years in development - STILL ALPHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4udZTQ1Jgw

:nono: So you finally gave up on fapping to Elite Dangerous after finding out it's just a shallow shell of a game where the devs already gave up on it long ago and you are now looking for something else to satisfy your cravings but because Star Citizen isn't out yet you decided to preemptively poo poo on it because Elite Dangerous let you down or something? :P A bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

:colbert: Way to blow your wad early with the Gary Oldman "parrp" face. Res tagged.

:rant: Some ED fanboys have been on suicide watch since Star Citizen got atmospheric planets. I guess spending all these years stuck to a pilot's chair got to some of them. The bitterness and envy is palpable from Area18 to NewBabage lol

:nyd: I like your ED videos alot but drat. Unsubbed.

:reject: Yeah I won't touch ED, too much grind and not enough fun. Delivering boxes in my carrack is 1000000% funner than flying around in a boring-looking ship that can't land on planets

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Quavers posted:

:nono: So you finally gave up on fapping to Elite Dangerous after finding out it's just a shallow shell of a game where the devs already gave up on it long ago and you are now looking for something else to satisfy your cravings but because Star Citizen isn't out yet you decided to preemptively poo poo on it because Elite Dangerous let you down or something? :P A bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

:colbert: Way to blow your wad early with the Gary Oldman "parrp" face. Res tagged.

:rant: Some ED fanboys have been on suicide watch since Star Citizen got atmospheric planets. I guess spending all these years stuck to a pilot's chair got to some of them. The bitterness and envy is palpable from Area18 to NewBabage lol

:reject: Yeah I won't touch ED, too much grind and not enough fun. Delivering boxes in my carrack is 1000000% funner than flying around in a boring-looking ship that can't land on planets

It's always important to keep in mind that these commenters are most likely over 30 years old.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

marumaru
May 20, 2013

are Citizens finally starting to open their eyes?

(seeing some familiar names on that thread too, lol)

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

That res tag one has to be sarcasm, not even the most hardended backer... can... be... that.... re... tard...ed.... no, i can't believe it, i'll say, not even the most hardened backer can be that retarded. I'm saying it, and i'm sticking with it.

In fact, they all have to be sarcasm, nobody can really be that dumb, for the love of god, please tell me nobody can be that dumb!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:shrug: As someone who hasn't paid a cent to support Star Citizen, it's definitely one the most ambitious and interesting tech demos I've ever seen. The gameplay doesn't seem too interesting, but I'm happy that it exists purely to push game technology forward.

:v: The discussions surrounding the game certainly have been more entertaining than the game itself. I paid 35$ years ago and not more since. I come back a couple of times a year to check it out and I just don't see the progress. My last attempt was about two months ago. Every aspect is still in its infancy. Foot controls and animations are fundamentally broken, the UI is absolutely terrible, NPCs are frozen, environmental interactions are glitchy, you die by touching someone, missions don't work... But hey, you'll be able to see your reflection in your friend's eyes! I don't mind the wait but I have little faith it will eventually be a complete game.

:reddit: I’m not going to say that SC is the greatest thing ever and has no problems, but I play fairly regularly and haven’t seen most of those problems you describe. Foot controls feel fine (I mean, I really don’t get what you mean when you say it’s broken here), animations looks great to me, UI def could use some love, but I don’t think it’s bad, environmental interactions don’t seem bad to me, I don’t think I’ve ever died by touching someone (then again, the current system is huge, and I don’t see people often), but to your point, missions are buggy and always have been. They work, about, 50-79% of the time, which is unacceptable.

:reddit: As a backer can confirm gameplay is okay, Its much just sandbox at times but open enough if you are creative can create your own gameplay content if you have the ships to use as basically props or tools. Visually and technological it's impressive now it just needs more gameplay loops.

:shrug: "More loops" what about better loops? The one thing missing from Star Citizen hype is that no-one is interested in high quality game design. And the truth is, this is a problem that, just like with graphics, you can throw money at. Money and time of course. They don't do that, though, do they? They consider game design a simple afterthought, don't they.

:shrug: Looking at their roadmaps I just don’t see anything that will make this a good game coming anytime soon. All these graphics systems are impressive when piled together but the gameplay is just not there which is very disappointing for a game that has been in development for so long.

:reddit: Minings loop is a good state, bounty hunting is good, Cargo and box delievery are good.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

This one's always wild to me cause like.. does Star Citizen even have atmospheric planets? I mean, it "does" I guess but can anybody tell? Does it make any loving difference except that on some planets you can take your dumb helmet off and like... see some clouds or whatever?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

This one's always wild to me cause like.. does Star Citizen even have atmospheric planets? I mean, it "does" I guess but can anybody tell? Does it make any loving difference except that on some planets you can take your dumb helmet off and like... see some clouds or whatever?

Well, technically the whole universe is underwater in SC.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG is like the artist who only uses MS Paint. Sure with enough practice and time they can make some pretty nice looking art. But they'll never be able to pain a hyper realistic painting because they are limited by the tools.

Citizens claim that CIG is pushing the boundaries of new tech when in reality they're just pushing MS Paint to it's limits but it'll never be able to accomplish what they want.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'
This gives me hope.

:reddit:

https://imgur.com/a/ev98sgu

#nomoremoney

ClownBobo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 24, 2020

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

The difference between "atmospheric" and "not" is basically one has entry effects on the ships and has a bright backdrop/skybox and the other has no entry effects and a dark or 'starry sky' backdrop/skybox. There is no actual non-appearance difference other than;
If atmosphere = 1 then helmet can be removed
If atmosphere = 1 and helmet is/not removed do nothing

If atmosphere = 0 then helmet cannot be removed
If atmosphere = 0 and helmet is removed then strangle commando

Half the backers seem to think that "atmospheric" means CIG have literally built physical pipelines and added the various gases and stuff to actual planetoids in a literal sense, commandos seem to have trouble with the boundry between 'real' and 'not real'.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven posted:

The difference between "atmospheric" and "not" is basically one has entry effects on the ships and has a bright backdrop/skybox and the other has no entry effects and a dark or 'starry sky' backdrop/skybox. There is no actual non-appearance difference other than;

Half the backers seem to think that "atmospheric" means CIG have literally built physical pipelines and added the various gases and stuff to actual planetoids in a literal sense, commandos seem to have trouble with the boundry between 'real' and 'not real'.

I'm pretty sure Chris promised they'd actually simulate the gases though. Doesn't the game actually try to track argon levels, and that's why people joke about them?

NoShOrTcUtS

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sabreseven posted:

It should be noted that taking off your helmet on the atmospheric planets will occasionally cause you to choke to death anyway. Also there are lots of "Dead spots" in the spaceships where there is zero atmosphere so running around them without a helmet on will randomly kill you. Pretty much just never take off your helmet is the rule of thumb.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

Statements like that which you quoted make the most rabid refundian look sane in comparison.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

Agony Aunt posted:

the most rabid refundian

I used to think I was one of the more unhinged extremist refundians, of the apocalyptic DSmart ELE sect -- until I met Bobo.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 24, 2020

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Yamicks on Star Citizen (parp).

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

That res tag one has to be sarcasm, not even the most hardended backer... can... be... that.... re... tard...ed.... no, i can't believe it, i'll say, not even the most hardened backer can be that retarded. I'm saying it, and i'm sticking with it.

In fact, they all have to be sarcasm, nobody can really be that dumb, for the love of god, please tell me nobody can be that dumb!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FREE AGONY AUNT! NO LIES WERE TOLD IN THIS POST!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

good video

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: I have spoken

1400+ upvotes and 200+ comments in only 4 hours :kingsley:

The fanboy zealots are getting downvoted by the rest of the Citizenry :munch:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
No no, that doesn't sound right at all. Better to just keep getting new ships so players can land on empty planets in neat rows and take screenshots.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Good image if it angers the zelots. But using the "imagination" image next to "Stuff to do" sorta mutes it s bit.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Quavers posted:

:reddit: I have spoken

1400+ upvotes and 200+ comments in only 4 hours :kingsley:

The fanboy zealots are getting downvoted by the rest of the Citizenry :munch:

And yet they will keep buying millions of dollars worth of ships

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://gfycat.com/illiterateflustereddiamondbackrattlesnake-star-citizen

It's going really well, just super well you guys

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Thinking outside the box.

Or clipping.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Seriously?!? I remember a few years ago they were bragging about all the new animations they were mocapping- getting in and out of the cafeteria tables (when was the last time we even had some quality cafeteria footage??) and in and out of beds... Did they rush this ship or something? Was 7 years not enough time to animate the character getting out of bed on the correct side?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Seriously?!? I remember a few years ago they were bragging about all the new animations they were mocapping- getting in and out of the cafeteria tables (when was the last time we even had some quality cafeteria footage??) and in and out of beds... Did they rush this ship or something? Was 7 years not enough time to animate the character getting out of bed on the correct side?

Getting out of bed and clipping through the walls has been a consistent bug in stations and ships for like 3 years now

It's not that they rushed it out, it's that they don't have the manpower to fix basic and obvious problems

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
The problem is that they are simulating your avatars internal thoughts and sometimes they decide they want to get up on the other side of the bed free themselves from the hellish model viewer they live in with the sweet release of vacuum induced death.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

DapperDon posted:

No, he is getting to experience prison gameplay early!

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

DapperDon posted:

YES! I agree! FREE AGONY AUNT!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

mjotto posted:

YES! I agree! FREE AGONY AUNT!

NO! His beta testing of prison gameplay will make it better for us all!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

already posted >:(

still very good

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Inacio posted:

already posted >:(

still very good

Sorry!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

One question are the zealots that post they never run into any of these issues outright lying or are they playing the game in a way that purposely minimizes issues?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

monkeytek posted:

One question are the zealots that post they never run into any of these issues outright lying or are they playing the game in a way that purposely minimizes issues?

Yes

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

The great thing about that video is that it's basically a house of cards. It took forever to assemble the non-flight-model no-clip no-physics ships in that particular arrangement, all pointing in the same direction, and all jittering around because even as a model-viewer it's a steaming pile of poo poo. Then they do this careful "flyover" by manipulating the level camera to make it appear they're flying over the area, but the micro-jittering gives it away completely.

Oh hey, I didn't see you there! We're just all sitting here in our identical ships all pointing in the same direction organically you guys! This is our "org!" As an "org" we're a group of ostensibly adult men who are totally serious about mil-sim (just don't tell any actual vets.) We're an "org" you guys, in a non-existent non-game yet to be designed or coded, but here's a badly thrown together model viewing app with camera view logic mapped to some ship models! It's "proof of concept!"

I'm 100% certain this took an entire day, what with server crashes, clipping through poo poo, they finally after 12 hours get the stupid looking generic rear end-ships lined up in the dumbest way imaginable, then do a fake flyover to make it appear like you're very badly flying over the world's dumbest shipyard. I can almost feel the sweat on the palms of the guy taking this shot, knowing that any moment the whole thing can go up in a glorious fireball of ineptitude and stupidity, as I'm certain it did several times before they captured this entirely casual day-in-the-life shot that happens all the time in this definitely existing game.

You got this all wrong it's just 3 goons just dupeing a fleet with CIG's buggy persistence.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Bronze Fonz posted:

Have you been to the storage shacks? There's not much reason to go to them other than to say you've managed to, but still cool.

Damnit man, codephrases and their counter responses are OPSEC :allbuttons:

Now we're going to have a full reset, new codephrases here: You must purchase a platinum account to view this message

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

monkeytek posted:

As you play the game you become kind of numb to the "Missing stair" elements. As long as you step this way and not that way, turn like this when you get into the elevator, remember not to press any buttons during the ladder animation, memorize the byzantine layout of the UI and the steps necessary just to do simple poo poo like travel to a waypoint, the game is playable.

Well, okay no, it'll still loving crash randomly depending on the patch, and they are 100% lying if they say it never does for them. But you can avoid 90% of the issues if you basically contort and hunch your posture in-game to fit the only position that is remotely stable. Do that, and you can probably load a ship up and fly somewhere for long enough to take screenshots. You'll note that videos of dozens of people playing together in big ships or whatever is decidedly lacking since Rex went away- that is because that poo poo is basically impossible to coordinate on a normal server without most of the players dying/glitching/despawning forever.

Right now the safe things to do are:

* Spawn your ship and walk around it on the landing pad or hovering in space
* Use a single-seat fighter to shoot other people within about 1km of the spawn point weapons-locked zone

Anything else- delivering boxes, trading, performing missions, doing AI combat, doing ground combat, mining, etc etc- is likely to take you many hours and result in death, a CTD, and a net loss of credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Do we have any good video compliations of hilarious bugs and glitches, old and new? I just can't get enough of of watching this gaming pratfall