Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

He only kills him indirectly by making a different choice.

I'm pretty sure he murders the other Picard with a phaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

marktheando posted:

I'm pretty sure he murders the other Picard with a phaser.

You are correct. He and his shuttle do disappear after real-Picard makes the different choice.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Powered Descent posted:

Let's see, DS9 ones...
The already-mentioned Kira and Mirror Kira
Jadzia and Bashir's Fantasy Horny Jadzia
Odo and Other Changeling Posing as Odo
O'Brien and Slightly Different Timeline O'Brien

I feel like I'm still missing something obvious.
Riker and Transporter-Riker?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Craptacular! posted:

I watched "For the Uniform" tonight and I'm pretty sure I saw the face a Klingon makes when he has to accept that he has lost honor.

This episode used to be absolutely adored and referenced ad nauseum by people defending the Bush Doctrine fifteen years ago, as the Federation civilians in the DMZ choking on gas for being aligned with raiding parties on Starfleet vessels was more or less what Bush-era neocons wanted to do to the Palestinians for Hamas. I don't know if any of those people ever watched Wrath of Khan, since the episode feels like a reversal of TWoK right down to a heavy-handed literary reference.

The biggest problem with For the Uniform is it's one of the most striking episodes in Sisko's inconsistent characterization. The guy in For the Uniform shouldn't give a poo poo about the events of In the Pale Moonlight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mister Kingdom posted:

He only kills him indirectly by making a different choice.

He shoots him with a fuckin phaser!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He shoots him with a fuckin phaser!

Yeah, I corrected myself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Picard has its flaws, but this week did feature Patrick Stewart in an eyepatch doing an outrageous French accent.

Also Icheb deserved better than dying in a pre-credit sequence getting his Borg implants harvested. I will say though it was a nice nod to contiunity when the evil doctor lady couldn't find his cortical node since he gave it to Seven in the episode "Imperfection."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bull3964 posted:

Picard has its flaws, but this week did feature Patrick Stewart in an eyepatch doing an outrageous French accent.

Also Icheb deserved better than dying in a pre-credit sequence getting his Borg implants harvested. I will say though it was a nice nod to contiunity when the evil doctor lady couldn't find his cortical node since he gave it to Seven in the episode "Imperfection."

In the Picard thread, people are thinking that it was because the original actor is such a douchebag that they decided to kill the character off to prevent ever having to deal with him again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pick posted:

The biggest problem with For the Uniform is it's one of the most striking episodes in Sisko's inconsistent characterization. The guy in For the Uniform shouldn't give a poo poo about the events of In the Pale Moonlight.

“In the Pale Moonlight” is murderous conspiracy in cold blood, “For the Uniform” is crime of passion with torpedoes. Eddington personally betrayed Sisko and spends the whole episode rubbing it in and deliberately pissing him off. Sisko consciously chooses to do the villainous thing and sink to Eddington’s level by threatening civilians because he’s just that deep into the conflict with Eddington and feels an immediate responsibility to solve it. What he does to the Maquis colonists is lovely, sure, but it’s nowhere near as lovely as what he does in “In the Pale Moonlight” and I can see why it wouldn’t be as damaging to his self-image. If nothing else, after “For the Uniform” he can tell himself that he always had control of the situation.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

On the other side of the coin, holding innocent civilians hostage, even destroying their homes to prey upon somebody who cares for them seems worse than using treachery upon an empire known for its treachery to manipulate them into a war with a fellow enemy when they were plotting to do worse against the Federation.

Arguably, Sisko doesn't even give that much of a poo poo in the pale moonlight, his confession feels more performative than emotional, and while that's mainly because the episode is being framed with a cold-dispassionate monologue and maybe he wasn't even directed to show emotion, you could say that in-character he's only weakly feeling the need to file a record of events that could come back to bite him some day. It's not like the bulk of captains' logs are ever listened to anyways. His reaction to Garak was pretty simple, since even if you're willing to support a murder, nobody wants to wind up wind up taking a risk they didn't mean to.

The actor and character do come off as inconsistent though, not sure which or both though. God knows he seems to phone it in when he has more light-hearted episodes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there some sort of catalog of dick jokes in Star Trek? There have to be quite a few.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

Riker and Transporter-Riker?

https://youtu.be/bYMfwBGveMg

We are exploring new worlds.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Is there some sort of catalog of dick jokes in Star Trek? There have to be quite a few.

There once was a man from Venus
Whose body was shaped like a -
:byodood: DATA!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The cruelest dick joke in Star Trek is "every costume they made Cirroc Lofton wear".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Do half klingons get one dick or two?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Do half klingons get one dick or two?

One and a half

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

On the other side of the coin, holding innocent civilians hostage, even destroying their homes to prey upon somebody who cares for them seems worse than using treachery upon an empire known for its treachery to manipulate them into a war with a fellow enemy when they were plotting to do worse against the Federation.

Arguably, Sisko doesn't even give that much of a poo poo in the pale moonlight, his confession feels more performative than emotional, and while that's mainly because the episode is being framed with a cold-dispassionate monologue and maybe he wasn't even directed to show emotion, you could say that in-character he's only weakly feeling the need to file a record of events that could come back to bite him some day. It's not like the bulk of captains' logs are ever listened to anyways. His reaction to Garak was pretty simple, since even if you're willing to support a murder, nobody wants to wind up wind up taking a risk they didn't mean to.

The actor and character do come off as inconsistent though, not sure which or both though. God knows he seems to phone it in when he has more light-hearted episodes.

I once spoke to a psychopath who said Sisko in a Pale Moonlight was an inspiration for him. Make of that what you will.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sisko is a rube in that episode. Idolize garak imho.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Do Discovery Klingons have any piercings, because I always assumed that dude had a second stream of piss from a Prince Albert instead of a second dick.

Crusher did say they have a bunch of anatomic backups in that crummy episode about medical ethics if you really want to go that way. Seems like a deep cut for Discovery though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't think that's how a dick piercing works but I am very much not doing research to confirm/deny

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wrong thread lol

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 24, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

Do Discovery Klingons have any piercings, because I always assumed that dude had a second stream of piss from a Prince Albert instead of a second dick.

Crusher did say they have a bunch of anatomic backups in that crummy episode about medical ethics if you really want to go that way. Seems like a deep cut for Discovery though.

This is Discovery. It's saying Klingons have two dicks.

I'm shocked they restrained themselves from just showing them.

The real question is, do lady Klingons have 2 vag, or do both go in one together, or does the other one go in the butt, or do they only get one bonar at a time and the other is just a backup willy

I vote backup willy

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Klingons having two of most organs is pretty well established. Also there's a line in Disco when someone (another klingon I think) mocks Tyler for not having enough organs for L'Rell.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kangaroos have two vaginas so I'm guessing it's that.

Jows
May 8, 2002

marktheando posted:

Klingons having two of most organs is pretty well established. Also there's a line in Disco when someone (another klingon I think) mocks Tyler for not having enough organs for L'Rell.

So are there two buttholes?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There! Is! One! Butthole!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is my opinion that Klingons have one penis.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

zoux posted:

What are the episodes where we see this perfectly-realized, peaceful utopia that isn't entirely contained within the Starships Enterprise?

The utopian Federation in TOS doesn't even let women be Starship captains.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

It is my opinion that Klingons have one penis.

between them

Whomsoever holds the Kok of Kahless shall be emperor

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ashpanash posted:

The utopian Federation in TOS doesn't even let women be Starship captains.

Yeah I didn't want to start this fight in this thread so please ignore!! There's too many Trek threads!

The Bloop posted:

between them

Whomsoever holds the Kok of Kahless shall be emperor

THis fight however :clint: (That's a di'q)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Klingons hate tribbles because they made all their dicks fall off

The augment program was designed to re-grow their dicks, but it circumcised their foreheads

Hell of a side effect

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It makes sense that aliens would have some kind of different genitalia, although we have it on authority that they can all interface the same with every species somehow.

The obvious thing is claspers like a shark, but considering how so much about Klingon anatomy is inspired by crustaceans, it's probably more of an abdominal flap situation.

Or it's just that thing that happens sometimes when your stream randomly forks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
are we doing this

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's a very minor background thing in an otherwise at best mediocre episode, but the latest Picard had a human and a romulan couple at what was obviously a space future fertility clinic. They were having a kid, yeah, but they needed future science to make it work.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It does imply some weird things since we know SOME alien species can hybridized more or less casually (eg Bajorans and Cardassians, or Klingons and humans).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

It's a very minor background thing in an otherwise at best mediocre episode, but the latest Picard had a human and a romulan couple at what was obviously a space future fertility clinic. They were having a kid, yeah, but they needed future science to make it work.

yeah it was still mostly impossible during Enterprise, Phlox talked about it a couple times and how to get the genes to like each other.

Never seemed to be a physical compatibility issue between the major races. Even the Gallimites with the transparent scrotum.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Well there's the whole thing with the Not-Changelings jizzing in everyone's genepools so I imagine that would lead to some compatabilty between species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, they did that before the onset of multi-cellular life. We can't hybridize with species on this planet, much less ones on planets thousands of light years away.