Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

silentsnack posted:

If you're broke+uninsured and have a ludicrous ER bill it's probably a good idea to go to the hospital's billing department ASAP and try talking to something that looks relatively human; explain that you are unable to pay and if they do send collectors or sue you, all that will happen is you're forced to declare bankruptcy... which is a situation where everyone loses.

Since for-profit businesses generally prefer getting $something vs getting $0 and generating bad PR, there's a chance they'll be willing to look for an alternative. And if they say "lolno gently caress you" you're no worse off than you were before.

One weird trick about debt is that, they usually have a point where it's not profitable to really pursue it. The cutoff point 10 years ago when I was dealing with it was around $5,000.

Instead what they do is sell it off with a bunch of other debt to a collection agency who pays them less for it, something like $0.25 on the dollar, after a while they sell it off for less, and so on and so forth until it's pennies. You used to be able to work out deals on these groups because some money is better than no money.

Over $5,000 and they would sue you. Do not ignore any of these notices, just show up and stall stall stall every time. If you do fail to show up, you get a judgement against you automatically.

When I did get a judgement, they were really incompetent about attempting to garnish my wages. They attempted to garnish them at a place I never worked, twice, before eventually finding my part-time retail job, where I made too little for them to garnish.

If you do a good enough job avoiding all of this for 7 years, it pretty much goes away.

That said, I don't actually recommend doing it unless you really good reason, like being un/underemployed. It's stressful as gently caress, your phone gets inundated with debt collectors calling you at all legal hours (8am to 9pm). They call your immediate family, at 10 am on Christmas Eve. They send you tons of threatening letters, and eventually you'll have a sheriff show up at your door and hand you the legal paperwork saying you have 10 days to show up in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Balls

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Oh gently caress yeah, can I straight up just party my way through the pandemic? Smokable smokes, pissable pilsner. drink it and convert it to piss. then there's liquor, and speed... I'm fuckin invincible, baby

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Russian troll farm posted:

Oh gently caress yeah, can I straight up just party my way through the pandemic? Smokable smokes, pissable pilsner. drink it and convert it to piss. then there's liquor, and speed... I'm fuckin invincible, baby

:same:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

WoodrowSkillson posted:

it'll be like swine flu where its a mish mash of responses. school closures will precipitate workplace closures

In my case, it was a hearty "Stay home - good luck!" when I emailed in sick for a week with it.

It wasn't until I got back to work that people realised what happened, and then - THEN - they freaked out. Like, I told y'all in the email I sent: "My doctor says I have Swine Flu, I'm quarantining myself until I'm better, so I will be out for the rest of this week and all of next week. If you have questions, please talk to <coworker X>."

That was also the illness where all I had to eat was Campbell's chicken soup and kimchi. I'm now much better prepared.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Have y'all seen any reports or interviews with a narrative rather than clinical style from someone who has recovered from the disease?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

twoday posted:

Several recent studies of Chinese COVID patient groups seemed to show that only very few were smokers and while tweeting at an epidemiologist from Harvard he tacitly admitted that he suspects that smoking might protect people from coronavirus in a yet-unknown manner

https://twitter.com/onionweigher/status/1231994917859315713?s=19

https://twitter.com/Ed_Goldstein/status/1232003986624012288?s=19

So you're saying it was Big Tobacco who engineered this virus, to get smoking in the west popular again!?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lmao, what d&d weasel itt reported me for making fun of orientalism? come here and explain yourself. what are you even doing in cspam if you hate it so much, there is an entire coronachan thread for you in d&d/gbs

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

lmao, what d&d weasel itt reported me for making fun of orientalism? come here and explain yourself. what are you even doing in cspam if you hate it so much, there is an entire coronachan thread for you in d&d/gbs

it was corona-chan getting a head start on owning you

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

silicone thrills posted:

This is the first gang tag i've ever wanted.

BNO isn't reporting the 50 people dead in iran on its main COVID19 page. I wonder if that means they aren't sure if it was right or not.

iran has denied it thats probably why

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulBisceglio/status/1231987889858400256

Governments are unable to respond to this crisis for the exact same reason that capitalist governments are unable to respond effectively to the climate emergency. This could be tackled and addressed with an comparatively minuscule amount of money and effort, compared to what we spend on imperialism and doodads and enriching the billionaires. It won't be.

They were working on a vaccine for SARS but eventually the crisis passed and the project was dropped. It still could have been useful to us today because vaccines often have knock on effects for similar species of diseases. I hope they don't just mothball this vaccine too.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I didnt think this was a seriosu threat until it killed Tom Cruise.....

Maxing out my credit card on rice and beans now, thanks CSPAM

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Can sombody tell me why everyone is posting that BNO News twitter account as if it's anything reliable? Looking at their website it just seems like garbage clickbait bullshit. Like just go to bnonews.com and have a look. Sure, they did win the "Twitter Shorty Awards" in 2009 according to wikipedia but it still seems like something nobody with half a brain should trust.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

CSPAM survival plan:

rice+beans+streaming HD Hentai

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Can sombody tell me why everyone is posting that BNO News twitter account as if it's anything reliable? Looking at their website it just seems like garbage clickbait bullshit. Like just go to bnonews.com and have a look. Sure, they did win the "Twitter Shorty Awards" in 2009 according to wikipedia but it still seems like something nobody with half a brain should trust.

the rest of the media is relying on government organizations to report poo poo, and governments are lying

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oh no, if Tom Cruise dies we'll never get that dark cinematic universe mummy sequel!

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

etalian posted:

CSPAM survival plan:

if it ain't broke don't fix it

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hedenius posted:

Post whatever :justpost: this is not a serious thread discussing the repercussions of a world-wide pandemic, ffs. Holy poo poo if you take anything in this thread serious

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

etalian posted:

CSPAM survival plan:

:chast2b:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Hedenius posted:

theyre just reposting/aggregating news agency stuff (reuters afp and so on). they say the source for their items

theyve also steered clear of the death cube-style videos in other “news” accounts

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

iran has denied it thats probably why

https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/583018540724170752

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Post whatever :justpost: this is not a serious thread discussing the repercussions of a world-wide pandemic, ffs. Holy poo poo if you take anything in this thread serious

I take nothing here serious or I wouldn't be flying to China next week. lol

edit: just wondering why that particular twitter account was posted all the time pretty much.

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 24, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hedenius posted:

They're one of the fastest to translate and post Chinese government announcements and numbers

Hedenius posted:

edit: just wondering why that particular twitter account was posted all the time pretty much.

It's also that the account was one of the only ones early on covering this stuff. Others have caught up now so it's not as big a deal

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

What's the status in Wuhan right now? Is there a plan for it to open up? I thought I heard the plan was for the quarantine to end in March, but I'm not sure.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You shouldn't keep a single bee, they are very social animals. At least get second one

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hedenius posted:

I take nothing here serious or I wouldn't be flying to China next week. lol

Wait, how are you flying to China? Didn't they shutdown air traffic?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

You shouldn't keep a single bee, they are very social animals. At least get second one

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

There was actually some rumors that Chloroquine (anti-malarial) was being used to do treatment and did it successfully. Will be interesting to see some scientific reports on that.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

hey guys I have $15,000 left to spend - $15,000 on beans, $15,000 on rice, or a 50/50 split

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
Bought eight pounds of beans and ten pounds of rice. Would make the suggestion that you should probably get different varieties of rice and beans, just for the variety. Jasmine scented calrose going to seem like vacation after two weeks of basmati.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hey guys I have $15,000 left to spend - $15,000 on beans, $15,000 on rice, or a 50/50 split

get a dehyrdator and make lots of jerky

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

vyst posted:

There was actually some rumors that Chloroquine (anti-malarial) was being used to do treatment and did it successfully. Will be interesting to see some scientific reports on that.

ride this plague out on a gin & tonic bender, message received

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Wait, how are you flying to China? Didn't they shutdown air traffic?

Picking up wife and kids. Aeroflot are still flying of course.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe get some off-brand soylent? This is probably the only legitimate use of that crap.

I can imagine its shelve life is way past your expected survival time and it's nutritionally complete and the rat feces will keep your immune systems on its toes.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Hedenius posted:

Aeroflot are still flying of course.

:ussr:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
No one has told me what ten pound log of meat to buy still

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

free prester jane. what is bone broth

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

quote:

The emerging consensus among epidemiologists is that the most likely outcome of this outbreak is a new seasonal disease—a fifth “endemic” coronavirus. With the other four, people are not known to develop long-lasting immunity. If this one follows suit, and if the disease continues to be as severe as it is now, “cold and flu season” could become “cold and flu and COVID-19 season.”

This seems to me to be the most accurate description of how this is going to play out.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

ok took a second mortgage to allow me to buy an industrial pallet of bacon as well, hope I can dig a winter pantry in time in the backyard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

free prester jane. what is bone broth

CSPAM mods sighed as they welded the door shut to his studio apartment.