Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

So by default then.

It seems to me that it's very rare for movie stuff to actually affect TV stuff and vice versa, usually because the movies come after the shows end. Like, wtf why was the flagship with the most experienced and combat hardened crew in the fleet completely uninvolved in the Dominion War? Does that ever come up in Nemesis?

They were patrolling the neutral zone for the borg or some poo poo iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

It comes up in Insurrection with some bullshit excuse.

They don't even do a bullshit excuse, he starts to explain why he's on the Enterprise and Picard just cuts him off and starts talking to someone else. Then there's a throwaway line about Picard telling Riker to ask Worf to delay his return to DS9.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

It comes up in Insurrection with some bullshit excuse.

Yes we're in an existential war but you need to steal the Fountain of Youth from the natives of this planet for me, yet another evil Starfleet admiral muahhaha

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Timby posted:

They don't even do a bullshit excuse, he starts to explain why he's on the Enterprise and Picard just cuts him off and starts talking to someone else. Then there's a throwaway line about Picard telling Riker to ask Worf to delay his return to DS9.

You sure? God forbid I should rewatch this movie but I could have sworn that at some point one of the characters is like “can’t somebody else do this boring rear end job” and Picard’s like “no they’re all busy with dominion things”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

You sure? God forbid I should rewatch this movie but I could have sworn that at some point one of the characters is like “can’t somebody else do this boring rear end job” and Picard’s like “no they’re all busy with dominion things”

Picard asks why they have to go mediate a dispute on some border planet, and Riker says the Diplomatic Corps is tied up with "Dominion negotiations."

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

zoux posted:

Yes we're in an existential war but you need to steal the Fountain of Youth from the natives of this planet for me, yet another evil Starfleet admiral muahhaha

Insurrection is after the dominion war i'm pretty sure. The melty faced bad guys in that movie who the Starfleet admirals are working with, are mentioned as formerly working with the dominion.

Edit- I just looked this up and I'm wrong, it is during the war.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 24, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Riker says the Diplomatic Corps is tied up with "Dominion negotiations."

Well they did a terrible job

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

marktheando posted:

Insurrection is after the dominion war i'm pretty sure. The melty faced bad guys in that movie who the Starfleet admirals are working with, are mentioned as formerly working with the dominion.

Yes, they supplied ketracel white for the Jem'Hadar.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zoux posted:

"This is not part of a natural design, captain. This is part of an algorithm coded at the molecular level."
"An algorithm? Are you saying that these DNA fragments are elements in some kind of computer program?"
"I know how it sounds, but there's no way this could be a random formation. This is definitely part of a program."
"This fragment has been part of every DNA strand on Earth since life began there and the other fragments are just as old. Someone must've written this program over four billion years ago."
"So…four billion years ago someone scattered this genetic material into the primordial soup of at least 19 different planets across the galaxy?"
"The genetic information must have been incorporated into the earliest lifeforms on these planets and then passed down through each generation."
"But why would anyone do this in the first place?"
"And what was this program designed to do?"
"Well, we couldn't know that until we assembled the entire program and ran it. We've tried all of the DNA material in the Federation computer but we haven't been able to come up with any compatible proteins."
"Then, they must be from worlds outside the Federation."
- La Forge, Picard, Crusher, and Data

That's specifically what's said, I dunno enough about DNA to say if that gibes with your head canon

More like a step past that and there was active engineering by the program, rather than a self replicating message encoded in DNA.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It must really suck to be a kid in the federation. You have fun with your friends and family. And then you reach a certain age where you get the talk about how your parents are two completely different species and some geneticist just jammed things together to see what works and they have no idea if you'll ever be able to procreate with anyone of any species without spending months with another geneticist and that will be how it goes for any of your descendants forever.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah and then your dad gets assigned to a Galaxy class and three weeks later you get turned inside out by a trickster god entity in deep rear end space

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The moral of the story is “Stay on Earth forever (but not in San Francisco) and make gumbo with Grandpa Sisko whenever you emerge from your holodeck”.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

Who cares, let aliens fiddle with one another's funky junk and make a baby if it helps the story

correct answer

The various bipedal "aliens" on Star Trek generally aren't meant to be truly alien anyway - they're just people too.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Newbie DS9 opinions, season five part one. Again, I skip episodes if they are known to be bad, or contribute little to the overall plot while not interesting me.

Apocalypse Rising: Making Sisko into a Klingon is like giving Avery Brooks free license to shout all the time. Indeed that happens. The guy who plays Gowron has that thing Hunter Pence has where it looks like his eyes are about to bug out of his head, he uses it to great effect as it's kind of hard to not see Gowron as at least a little bit psychotic? I wondered how Gowron was not going to recognize Worf, who he knows pretty well by now, but the plot pulled the plug before that would happen. Worf does get his battle with Gowron, which I think was maybe something that had been brewing since TNG's first half? I get that O'Brien is suffering, but it's a missed opportunity that he was chosen for this mission instead of Dax since Kira is still delivering Miles a baby and Dax is such a Klingon weeb. I appreciated the "hillbilly wedding" aspect of every one of these drunk Klingons shooting the Changling at the same time.

The Ship: We've had a lot of Changling deaths all of a sudden, which is sort of unusual since we went almost a whole a season uncertain if they could die; three seasons if you count the two of Odo as the unstoppable security chief on a station of terrorists and gangsters. This episode spends so much time making it's point about the phenomenon of away team redshirts that I started dwelling on the stage design. Did they actually create an interior for Dominion ships (yes) and then assemble it upside down for this episode (maybe)? Trek aesthetic is one of those things that has interested me forever, since as a kid I believed in the idea that in the future everything was going to look like an airport and convention center, and today because it stands in stark contrast to the greenscreens and CGI-bathed scenery that is invading TV. Guesting in this episode is Hillary Turner, known to Power Rangers fans as Divatox in the majority of Power Rangers Turbo/In Space. She's a fishy-looking humanoid who says about two lines before being blown up offscreen by the JemHadar. Given that Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie is remembered mostly for her cleavage, I was sort of surprised she wasn't the Vorta ambassador. And great, now I'm imagining Divortatox summoning JemHadar and getting Piranhatrons instead. Moving on...

Par'Mach: We had to stop the video and laugh for a full minute when Worf yeets Morn out of the chair. It was nice to see Grilka again in a one-off, if nothing else when they remembered her it makes me feel like I'm investing my time instead of wasting it when I watch some of these episodes. Somehow, Worf is too Earthling to understand Klingon dating, but too Klingon to understand that Dax (who has been flirting with him since they first met) is interested in him until she reverse wrist throws him to the floor and straddles him. Talk about being direct.

Nor the Battle: Even though many Star Trek episodes use someone's log as a framing device, it's still unusually stage theatre to see time stop and the camera gaze at Jake's focused expression while hearing his voice narrate his thoughts. Starfleet might be the Navy but in space, but in everything I've seen there's no clear Seal team; in everything from TV to video games away teams beam down in their regular uniform and trade phaser fire. So it's no surprise when Jake and Bashir end up in a battlezone that there's a lot of wounded. Jake tries not to be in the way but mostly fails; he helps an casualty of war die with a little more dignity at one point but is chewed out for leaving an asset like Dr Bashir alone as a target. Bashir ends up in the infirmary but ultimately okay, having somehow hauled a big chunk of the runabout back to camp. Hmmm...

The Assignment: Okay show, I get it, it sucks to be Miles.

Tribble-ations: This the one everyone knows. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, since it's such a thing in fandom. I'll just say that the greenscreen effects and digital cropping/touchup work is good. It's still a ratings stunt and unfortunately I think this episode was probably so expensive to make that the rest of the season's budget suffered. "Way Of The Warrior" was supposedly be so expensive that the Earth two-parter wasn't as grand as it could have been, but season 4 still had enough money to give us episodes like "To The Death", "Little Green Men", and "Body Parts". It feels like there's so many episodes around this time focused on one character in familiar settings (O'Brien suffer episode, Kira murder mystery episode, Odo talking to a jar, Dax and Worf on a beach) and I'm kind of guessing here but I know they've said this was the most expensive single episode to date. I'm not above having an expensive episode, but this one contributes basically nothing to DS9's overall story. I still think they should have made it, but maybe reigned in the budget a little bit. Consider that the Klingons continue to use the old Bird of Prey after a century because it allows them to reuse a large library of stock footage clips of the model and squeeze a little out of the budget. So if the money is that tight, why blow it on a model of the Constitution-class that will never be used again, and likewise the station? Goddamn.

Things Past: This is how you do a budget-focused mystery episode. Reusing the props and established tone of "Necessary Evil" back in season 2, we see a time when Odo was basically a bad cop. The first season of the show made Odo seem "too perfect", he had the best lines of any scene he was in and was so good at his job that if every cop was like season 1 Odo then there'd never be a problem with cops. Since then, we've had Sisko hint that he's too strongly authoritarian and would turn the station into a police state if left alone, and now he has blood on his hands (well he's had it all along, but y'know). This makes Odo a worse cop but a better character. He was basically becoming Star Trek's Batman for a bit there.

The Ascent: I would have skipped this one, but I enjoy Quark and Odo so much, so I thought I'd enjoy this. But they were given The O'Brien Treatment. I watched Quark eat poo poo in much more enjoyable form last year in "Body Parts", and I just had an episode about Odo's mental anguish so watching him break a leg and crawl onward, it feels like something we had to have right now because Odo's about to get his powers back again. Watching Quark suffer is only enjoyable if it's as a result of his hubris or gives him a chance to be less lovely than the typical Ferenghi; he's fun with Brunt because he takes the slings and arrows for the fact that his mother earns profit and his brother likes rootbeer and his nephew is a cadet in Starfleet, and still he never throws them under the bus and takes whatever losses it'll cost him on the chin. Although because he's Quark, we know he won't be destitute for very long. He was knocked all the way down to having to use borrowed chairs to serve gift hooch last season, and now the dabo tables are spinning again, profits bless.

Rapture: I don't like these uniforms. I've made that clear before, but drat they look bad on Sisko as he is a bit broad and they put the combadge on the pauldron. But yeah, I generally don't like the uniforms that reduce the divisional color-coding to effectively just a stripe. This episode is kinda wild? It pushes Sisko's role as Emissary to it's absolute limit, and right while Bajor was about to join the Feds, too. While it's fine to leave Sisko's fate in the hands of Jake, the Ambassador's pissyness that Sisko is ignoring his duties is kinda unnecessary. There are plenty of other officers around that the Admiral can deputize, and the biggest reason the Bajorans have taken to him in the first place is his prominence in their religious order. I've actually began to wonder if the entire Bajoran religion was not simply a result of the Prophets wanting to speak to Sisko but not knowing linear time well enough to contact him directly, so a whole religious institution was established in ancient times to last generations to find him and bring him to the wormhole. This episode suggests there's some crazier powers at work than just that, but also given that the wormhole parasite that hijacked Keiko a few episodes back was also found on Bajor we really don't know if Bajoran Atlantis is really good or an Uncharted-style monkey paw.

The Darkness and The Light: Couldn't hold my attention. Seemed like it wanted to be Duet II maybe? YAY MORE SUFFERING. I don't mean to make light of these episodes but I have seen so many of them by now that it's all starting to muddle together. We also learn that Shakaar has known Kira since she was barely a teenager, which kind of makes the next episode a little more weird than it should... Is it too late to mention that they should have never killed Li Nalis and adapted him into Shakaar's role? Oh well

The Begotten: Rene Auberjonois should have been given an Emmy or something. He's always down to carry half an episode. Odo and his biologist patch up their issues while helping a changling blob become species-aware. Odo spends a week fawning over the lump (did crime skyrocket on the station while he was busy?) with little to show for it. He also has to put up with the pins and needles from Mora, who admits he didn't know how to raise a changling the first time but should get it right on the first try if given another chance. Everyone bonds, but as soon as Odo can happily leave the little goop alone, it dies, but because it met compassionate Odo instead of the Founders it reactivates his ability to morph. Meanwhile, Kira finally gives birth to the baby, but not before Shakaar behaves more like her father than her friend.

For The Uniform: He tasks me, and I shall have him. Discussed it uphread.

In Purgatory's Shadow: Bashir has been replaced with a changling for so long now and it explains so many things. It explains how Odo's baby could suddenly die offscreen (Bashir was immediately there). It explains why Bashir would want to do brain surgery on Sisko right as Bajor was on the verge of joining the Feds. It explains how Bashir was able to haul the generator from a runabout through a warzone by himself. It explains how Odo picked up Changling Flu. Obviously it only goes so far back, I don't think a changling would be able to move a baby from human to bajoran womb and know what it's doing. The other big revelations is that Martok is still alive and so is (well, was) director Tain of the Obsidian Order, and he's Garak's father. I actually knew that very last point all the way back around when I started season 2 around November, but I didn't realize it would take them this long to acknowledge it. There's so many hints to it in season three that I expected it. Founder-Bashir achieves it's logical goal of preventing Sisko from closing the wormhole, because apparently right now is the moment to invade? After two and a half years? Since they acknowledged the Borg skirmish in First Contact, I guess it's as good a time as any.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 25, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Terry Farrell is allergic to latex unfortunately so couldn’t play Klingon despite it being far more appropriate for her character than Miles.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
enabran tain did nothing wrong

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

skasion posted:

Terry Farrell is allergic to latex

The worst allergy for a model in the Pamela Anderson era.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

enabran tain did nothing wrong

he kinda got snookered big time by the changeling posing as the Tal Shiar agent

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I remember going apeshit for that combined Cardassian/Romulan fleet, big fan of Galor and D'deridex classes, me

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I still think a better joke would have been just putting Dorn in TOS-era makeup when he was on K-7 and never directly calling attention to it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:laffo: I completely forgot there was a scene in DS9 of Ziyal and Garak literally laying out on a hot lamp rock, complaining about how cold the station is.

If we ever get an HD remaster of DS9 I hope they give all the Cardassians the Ewok eyelid treatment and have them flit little cg tongues out at random whenever they’re not talking.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my skink does this

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Tribble-ations: This the one everyone knows. I'm pretty sure I've seen it before, since it's such a thing in fandom. I'll just say that the greenscreen effects and digital cropping/touchup work is good. It's still a ratings stunt and unfortunately I think this episode was probably so expensive to make that the rest of the season's budget suffered. "Way Of The Warrior" was supposedly be so expensive that the Earth two-parter wasn't as grand as it could have been, but season 4 still had enough money to give us episodes like "To The Death", "Little Green Men", and "Body Parts". It feels like there's so many episodes around this time focused on one character in familiar settings (O'Brien suffer episode, Kira murder mystery episode, Odo talking to a jar, Dax and Worf on a beach) and I'm kind of guessing here but I know they've said this was the most expensive single episode to date. I'm not above having an expensive episode, but this one contributes basically nothing to DS9's overall story. I still think they should have made it, but maybe reigned in the budget a little bit. Consider that the Klingons continue to use the old Bird of Prey after a century because it allows them to reuse a large library of stock footage clips of the model and squeeze a little out of the budget. So if the money is that tight, why blow it on a model of the Constitution-class that will never be used again, and likewise the station? Goddamn.

ok herbert

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
herbert herbert herbert

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Tighclops posted:

herbert herbert herbert

star trek: i'm so dune with this poo poo

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Discovery Season 2 finally came from the library and among countless other things, I can't believe they show the Kelpian gathering kelp.

Also, I've decided to reconcile Discovery as in-universe historical fiction/alternate history.

Edit: they didn't even try to save that cyborg girl.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 25, 2020

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Well there's the whole thing with the Not-Changelings jizzing in everyone's genepools so I imagine that would lead to some compatabilty between species.

is this normal chat for the star trek thread?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CODChimera posted:

is this normal chat for the star trek thread?

We have such sights to show you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Like, wtf why was the flagship with the most experienced and combat hardened crew in the fleet completely uninvolved in the Dominion War? Does that ever come up in Nemesis?

During DS9 we saw the Second, Fifth and Ninth fleets, and it was established were at least ten battle fleets, so.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Don't forget about the Seventh. 14 out of 112...

Makes Wolf 359 look like a...
...thing that was 1/3 as bad.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Beachcomber posted:

This unblocked repressed memories along with the rest of the childhood trauma, thanks rear end in a top hat

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

This unblocked repressed memories along with the rest of the childhood trauma, thanks rear end in a top hat

Sorry your mom and dad abandoned you and/or let you watch Voyager.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is also a sort of laziness/unadventurousness beyond just budgetary issues. It's not like Doctor Who's nonhumanoid Daleks or Alpha Centauri blew the budget, and puppets were probably also an option.

I wouldn't say laziness necessarily. Emoting is super important too. It's not a coincidence that the majority of Dalek stories have some kind of humanoid alongside them (whether that's Davros, Lytton, the Controller, Mavic Chen...) because as we see in The Chase having them spout exposition is hard to listen to and not very interesting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cojawfee posted:

It must really suck to be a kid in the federation. You have fun with your friends and family. And then you reach a certain age where you get the talk about how your parents are two completely different species and some geneticist just jammed things together to see what works and they have no idea if you'll ever be able to procreate with anyone of any species without spending months with another geneticist and that will be how it goes for any of your descendants forever.
You mean the other kids bully you for being different? Truly a new frontier

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Everyone rags on the lizard episode of Voyager, but the one in TNG where Geordi turns into an invisible alien is much worse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zushio posted:

Everyone rags on the lizard episode of Voyager, but the one in TNG where Geordi turns into an invisible alien is much worse.
It’s also ridiculous but IMO the execution is better and it’s a lot less goofy (although the alien costumes do NOT hold up well with the HD version).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zushio posted:

The forensic holography sequence is baller and worth whatever else is going on

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

that looks incredible, i can't wait

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

During DS9 we saw the Second, Fifth and Ninth fleets, and it was established were at least ten battle fleets, so.

Or it’s the old pig numbering trick...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Imagine comparing threshold to identity crisis.