Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

What I kinda don't get is why spend all that money on ad buys when you can do something amazingly magnanimous that will be its own hype engine. "Bloomberg spend hundreds of millions of his own dollars on advertising" does way less for a political campaign than "Bloomberg fixes Flint," but what the hell do I know about this dumb political process.

Fixing Flint doesn't keep Bernie out of office and Mike Bloomberg's taxes low. Highlighting problems like that probably just helps Bernie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He's already spent more just on commercials than bernie's tax would ever have cost him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
As I see it: The money isn't the issue, it's somebody winning who clearly is saying "I don't like billionaires, I don't think they should have that kind of money, and I think we should take it." Once those people start winning it undermines your whole platform. A lot of the reason the (moderate for the rest of the world but pretty hardcore for the USA) left doesn't win is because a bunch of people have been convinced that they can't win, and vote accordingly. Once one of them wins - and wins decisively, the highest office in the land, and doesn't "triangulate" to do it - well that's a big blow. Maybe not a knockout punch but a bell-ringer, and these spoiled brat billionaires aren't familiar with having their bell rung.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Sadly, I think "fixing Flint" would get only a few days of media coverage, at best. You would have to combine it with the ad blitz to really make something of it, and at that point you can just do the ads and make meaningless promises to fix X or Y. Promises cost nothing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Leperflesh posted:

He's already spent more just on commercials than bernie's tax would ever have cost him.

Bloomberg makes 27 million a day, he's going to not even notice how much he's spent on commercials.

Taxes, on the other hand.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's not about the money, it's about the power. I'm sure Bloomberg would think about fixing Flint with his own money, if he won the presidency. I've only worked for 2 billionaires and 5 millionaires but every one of them got off on tossing crumbs to the lil' folk.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Bloomberg makes 27 million a day, he's going to not even notice how much he's spent on commercials.

Taxes, on the other hand.

I looked it up and I had been misremembering Bernie's wealth tax as just 1%. It's actually a progressive scale:

quote:

It would start with a 1 percent tax on net worth above $32 million for a married couple. That means a married couple with $32.5 million would pay a wealth tax of just $5,000.

The tax rate would increase to 2 percent on net worth from $50 to $250 million, 3 percent from $250 to $500 million, 4 percent from $500 million to $1 billion, 5 percent from $1 to $2.5 billion, 6 percent from $2.5 to $5 billion, 7 percent from $5 to $10 billion, and 8 percent on wealth over $10 billion. These brackets are halved for singles.

Bloomberg has $61B.

So despite dropping like $400M on commercials already, he hasn't even come close to what he'd pay in the first year of a bernie tax system. Of course, there's no chance Bernie's huge wealth tax could get through congress, so it's moot; but I wanted to recognize that yeah billionaires really do not like bernie sanders' tax plans.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Bloomberg’s opposition to Bernie seems pretty clearly rooted in his sincere personal and ideological commitment to the Neoliberal political project, which Bernie is very clearly a threat to, than any kind of personal financial stake IMO.

The fact that it lines up with the personal interests of people like him , well yeah, that’s superstructure bby.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Good ol' lovable PG&E.

quote:

PG&E Corp.’s chief executive said Monday that one of his company’s contractors doing work related to the 2018 Camp Fire aftermath had charged more than it was supposed to and inappropriately paid “large sums of money” to two PG&E employees.

The parent company of Pacific Gas and Electric Co. has canceled its contracts with the firm, Bay Area Concrete Recycling. And the two PG&E employees in question no longer work for the energy company, according to an internal message from PG&E Corp. CEO Bill Johnson that the company provided to the The Chronicle.

e: In timely Bloomberg news:

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1232057849897013251

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 25, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

Of course, there's no chance Bernie's huge wealth tax could get through congress

Never say never.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

My favorite part: "The ways you get Congress to work for you is the ways you deal with your family," Bloomberg said. "You bribe them. You say to your kid, you say to your kid to 'clean your room or you don't get your allowance.'

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tacier posted:

My favorite part: "The ways you get Congress to work for you is the ways you deal with your family," Bloomberg said. "You bribe them. You say to your kid, you say to your kid to 'clean your room or you don't get your allowance.'
I like that he considers a threat to be the same thing as a bribe. Big strong daddy dictator knows best, he's graciously blessing you idiots with his wisdom and generosity.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Never say never.

If the Dems somehow got a 60/40 majority in the Senate - which I don't believe is remotely possible during a prospective 8-year Bernie Sanders term - I still don't think we'd get Bernie's wealth tax, or even close to it. It's a goal and I don't think he should budge on it right now (giving ground to the opposition before even entering negotiation, only for them to unanimously vote 'no' anyway, has been a major failure of the Democratic party for decades now) but my advice is not to hold your breath on this one.

Maybe if we got rid of money in american politics somehow, like truly radical and comprehensive campaign finance reform, then a decade or two later it might become feasible for our congress to broadly reject the influence of billionaires. Right now, it's impossible.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well I appreciate your concern but don't worry, I literally think that we're going to have a society-wide collapse inside of 20 years. So anything nice that happens is just a bonus to me.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Leperflesh posted:

If the Dems somehow got a 60/40 majority in the Senate - which I don't believe is remotely possible during a prospective 8-year Bernie Sanders term - I still don't think we'd get Bernie's wealth tax, or even close to it. It's a goal and I don't think he should budge on it right now (giving ground to the opposition before even entering negotiation, only for them to unanimously vote 'no' anyway, has been a major failure of the Democratic party for decades now) but my advice is not to hold your breath on this one.

Maybe if we got rid of money in american politics somehow, like truly radical and comprehensive campaign finance reform, then a decade or two later it might become feasible for our congress to broadly reject the influence of billionaires. Right now, it's impossible.

Bernie's agenda ultimately comes down to whether you, personally, are willing to stop working/man the barricades/etc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Santa Clara Water District plans to completely drain Anderson Reservoir because the dam containing it would crumple to dust in the even of an earthquake.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Because the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission told them to. Nevermind that it's been lovely for years and we're looking at a drought in 2020

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Basically the permitting of the remediation project has been dragging on forever and this is FERC’s way of lighting a fire under the owner.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well I appreciate your concern but don't worry, I literally think that we're going to have a society-wide collapse inside of 20 years. So anything nice that happens is just a bonus to me.

Hm. Have you read Collapse by Jared Diamond? While he has his issues (especially the problems with his Guns, Germs, and Steel - he's not an actual anthropologist), this book is really just a survey of different human societies that have collapsed and why that happened. I found it educational and interesting.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I could write a lot about this but I'll just say LOL because I worked for years at SCVWD to restore fish habitat and passage for endangered steelhead (SCVWD are legally compelled to do this by lawsuits and continue to half rear end it) and now

quote:

Camacho also said that draining the reservoir starting in seven months is likely to kill wildlife downstream in Coyote Creek, including endangered steel head trout, amphibians and reptiles

Dams are generally huge money sinks but Anderson is especially bad. SCVWD used to brag about how quickly Anderson was constructed

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Hm. Have you read Collapse by Jared Diamond? While he has his issues (especially the problems with his Guns, Germs, and Steel - he's not an actual anthropologist), this book is really just a survey of different human societies that have collapsed and why that happened. I found it educational and interesting.

If you liked Collapse I highly recommend J.R. McNeill. He's an environmental historian - I've read Mosquito Empires by him, but I've been meaning to pick up The Great Acceleration as well. I think it's an interesting look into how much the natural world around us shapes human history.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Leperflesh posted:

I have, it's actually what started me down my current path! I don't want anyone to think that I'm a weirdo prepper or a doomsday guy, btw. Life will go on for a long time, but it will be very bad (by our current standards).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bernie's "Inland Empire" (blech) operations gets a shoutout in this Guardian column.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/26/bernie-sanders-california-amazon-latino-activism?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
e: too identifiable

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Leperflesh posted:

i mean, if we made the lives of billionaires and their congresspeople unlivable, something would happen. if they were harassed in public 24/7 it'd definitely move the needle, but it'd probably just be that they'd clutch their pearls and sic the police on us.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i mean, if we made the lives of billionaires and their congresspeople unlivable, something would happen. if they were harassed in public 24/7 it'd definitely move the needle, but it'd probably just be that they'd clutch their pearls and sic the police on us.

Billionaires spend surprisingly little time "in public."

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

right, but they do spend some, and their congresspeople spend far more

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

right, but they do spend some, and their congresspeople spend far more

Its this, is what I'm getting at. To get money out of politics requires forcing the politicians to pay more attention to the not-moneyed than the moneyed. Going directly after the moneyed with protests and stuff won't work, they don't care.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

hence why i said billionaires, and their congresspeople

wrt the billionaires in this scenario it isn't to change their minds, it's to yell at them until they leave things like restaurants and... yacht operas or whatever the gently caress

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I can't afford to go to the places billionaires hang out

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OMGVBFLOL posted:

hence why i said billionaires, and their congresspeople

wrt the billionaires in this scenario it isn't to change their minds, it's to yell at them until they leave things like restaurants and... yacht operas or whatever the gently caress

they'd just get you thrown out and/or murdered lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inland Empire people receive the poo poo end of the stick for being Southern California’s logistics epicenter and it warms my heart that Bernie is out hear listening to all the people suffering.

My son has mild asthma attacks in the summer and I know it’s due to the poo poo air out here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FCKGW posted:

My son has mild asthma attacks in the summer and I know it’s due to the poo poo air out here.

My wife has asthma and she's from Morro Bay, never had any trouble, moved down here with me and now uses an inhaler 1 - 3 times per week. One of the reasons we were trying to move out (looks like it's not going to happen with the housing market about to poo poo the bed, sadly. Didn't get it done in time).

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My wife has asthma and she's from Morro Bay, never had any trouble, moved down here with me and now uses an inhaler 1 - 3 times per week. One of the reasons we were trying to move out (looks like it's not going to happen with the housing market about to poo poo the bed, sadly. Didn't get it done in time).

Do you have any air purifiers running in the house/bedrooms? Running 1 or 2 24/7 as help us hugely in pollen months

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I'm asthmatic. Air Purifiers help a ton. We have one running in our 1 bedroom apartment. Also, is she on any other asthma medication besides a rescue inhaler?

I mean, i'm in Anaheim so the air quality is definitely not the best.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zuul the Cat posted:

I'm asthmatic. Air Purifiers help a ton. We have one running in our 1 bedroom apartment. Also, is she on any other asthma medication besides a rescue inhaler?

I mean, i'm in Anaheim so the air quality is definitely not the best.

I don't think you grasp how bad the air is in the IE compared to OC

All the offshore flow winds that keep OC and LA from getting too smoggy get blown into the bowl-shaped IE and just hang there. Combine that with the exploding housing and warehouse industry bringing millions of new miles of car and heavy truck traffic and it really loving sucks.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 28, 2020

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yikes. Remind me to never move to the IE.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
And remember that's with all of the clean fuel and emissions standards that Trump is trying to force us to roll back by revoking our ability to set them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Thank you everybody for your concern, and yes we have an air purifier that runs 24/7 in the room. Right now we have a bad dust problem as well from all the remodelling tho, I'm sure that's contributing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

make sure by "air purifier" you don't mean an ozone generator, which is actually creating poisonous gas that can severely irritate asthma, because those are apparently a thing for some goddamn reason

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners