Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zushio posted:

Everyone rags on the lizard episode of Voyager, but the one in TNG where Geordi turns into an invisible alien is much worse.

My favorite bad Geordi episode is where they find a guy whose like a cross between Will Ferrell and Jesus in a ridiculously tight spandex suit and he uses his magic powers to give Geordi his mojo back and then wanders around the Enterprise with a bulging camel tail until something I don't even remember what happened. I think he breaks Worfs back and then heals it as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My favorite bad Geordi episode is where they find a guy whose like a cross between Will Ferrell and Jesus in a ridiculously tight spandex suit and he uses his magic powers to give Geordi his mojo back and then wanders around the Enterprise with a bulging camel tail until something I don't even remember what happened. I think he breaks Worfs back and then heals it as well

I also got high as gently caress and watched star trek and richard simmons back to back

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

The forensic holography sequence is baller and worth whatever else is going on

It's almost always great whenever they use the holodeck for something that's not entertainment.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

I also got high as gently caress and watched star trek and richard simmons back to back

NO ITS REEEEEAL

he's wearing like a green man suit but it's white

Edit: found it, Transfigurations

Smack dab between Menage a Troi and Best of Both Worlda

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 25, 2020

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

NO ITS REEEEEAL

he's wearing like a green man suit but it's white

Edit: found it, Transfigurations

Smack dab between Menage a Troi and Best of Both Worlda

It's kind of weird to look at that episode in HD because the glowy effect doesn't really obscure that he's just wearing the same suit with a mask now when he fully transforms.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

EvilTaytoMan posted:

It's kind of weird to look at that episode in HD because the glowy effect doesn't really obscure that he's just wearing the same suit with a mask now when he fully transforms.

It's like a stage effect, I like it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zushio posted:

Everyone rags on the lizard episode of Voyager, but the one in TNG where Geordi turns into an invisible alien is much worse.

What the gently caress

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

marktheando posted:

What the gently caress

The episode of Enterprise that does the same "two crewmembers are turning into aliens because space magic" thing but somehow worse was directed by Levar Burton.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Yeah I noticed that was a lot different than the original episode

The other thing you can really notice is his bulge. In every scene. Because that outfit leaves nothing to the imagination.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zurui posted:

The episode of Enterprise that does the same "two crewmembers are turning into aliens because space magic" thing but somehow worse was directed by Levar Burton.

That episode was ok, archer as a cave man was pretty funny.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Bloop posted:

I remember being super creeped out when I was a kid and he goes "ok computer, extrapolate the entity that could cast that shadow" and it just spits out this amorphous, faceless gray blob instead of the actual alien. Sometimes less really is more.

Compare to that Voyager ep with the space dinosaurs where Janeway goes "apply 65 million years of evolution to this hadrosaur" and it generates the exact image of the aliens of the week :thunk:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, that creepy shadow is right up there with the body bags sitting up in "Night Terrors" for sending chills down my spine.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Computer, make this a metal table

:stare: uh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
100% agree

That is a super memorable episode for precisely that reason. It was really a great Sci Fi moment in Trek

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

Computer, make this a metal table

:stare: uh

No, there weren't shackles

No I know there's shackles in the projection, there weren't on the alien table though

You know what computer end program

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like Threshold

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pick posted:

I like Threshold

I don't like that they abandoned their lizard babies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why are we going to evolve back into catfish men is my question

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Excellent

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

The Bloop posted:

That is a super memorable episode for precisely that reason. It was really a great Sci Fi moment in Trek

I honestly love trek best when it does weird, creepy stuff.

The clicky aliens, that shadow scene, the weird face on the screen that traps the crew, someone phasing through the floor. all moments that stuck with me as a teen.

It's one of the few settings where you know you're not (or rarely) going to have to sit through the tedious "nobody believes me" part of the story because they live in a world where this stuff happens and they'll at least entertain the idea that you saw giant worms in the transporter or you won that tournament and now your trophy changed.

One of the few OS episodes that stuck with me as a kid was the empty ship then the ghostly faces at the window

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dog_Meat posted:

One of the few OS episodes that stuck with me as a kid was the empty ship then the ghostly faces at the window

What episode is this? Mark of Gideon? I
Empty ship sounds like an episode that would be right up my alley.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

piratepilates posted:

I had to google it to check, but that's the one. I think it ends up being the usual goofy story, but it's always eerie and I'm a sucker for "investigate the empty ship" settings.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

piratepilates posted:

Yea. It makes no sense at all unfortunately, you can tell they came up with the Aesop first, then that specific visual, then wrote the rest of it on the fly

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dog_Meat posted:

I had to google it to check, but that's the one. I think it ends up being the usual goofy story, but it's always eerie and I'm a sucker for "investigate the empty ship" settings.

skasion posted:

Yea. It makes no sense at all unfortunately, you can tell they came up with the Aesop first, then that specific visual, then wrote the rest of it on the fly

Isn't that usually the case? The mystery is great but the answer can never usually match up.

For me it's with the TNG episode with the weird time stuff and ends with the romulan ship frozen in time firing on the enterprise. The first half of that episode where they have no loving clue what weird time poo poo is happening is great, and it's still pretty good once you get onboard the enterprise and romulan ship. Once it has to be resolved, it stops being interesting and doesn't match up to how great all the unsettling imagery is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The best part about "Timescape" was the twist about the intent of the Romulans. The main characters think it was an attack with a boarding party when it turns out that the Enterprise was rendering assistance and any aggression that appeared to be happening was due to the black hole aliens.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Now add the skants

Computer save as "Riker's Love Slaves"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The best part about "Timescape" was the twist about the intent of the Romulans. The main characters think it was an attack with a boarding party when it turns out that the Enterprise was rendering assistance and any aggression that appeared to be happening was due to the black hole aliens.

It's this because, while horrifying to think about our beloved Beverly getting disruptored, everyone's expression and reactions look like he's just hosing off a muddy dog in his back yard (except Troi)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

piratepilates posted:

The faces at the window are a wonderful eerie moment but everything else about that episode is terrible. The plot makes no sense at all -- I'd actually put it right down there with Spock's Brain and The Alternative Factor. And the pacing drags very badly, to the point that there are actual scenes of people reading long strings of numbers to each other. (Really.) And you're supposed to pay attention to the all those long numbers because believe it or not they're actually a plot point. The writer apparently wanted to do an overpopulation show but I have no idea what the actual message about it is supposed to be.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Powered Descent posted:

The faces at the window are a wonderful eerie moment but everything else about that episode is terrible. The plot makes no sense at all -- I'd actually put it right down there with Spock's Brain and The Alternative Factor. And the pacing drags very badly, to the point that there are actual scenes of people reading long strings of numbers to each other. (Really.) And you're supposed to pay attention to the all those long numbers because believe it or not they're actually a plot point. The writer apparently wanted to do an overpopulation show but I have no idea what the actual message about it is supposed to be.

Isn't that the one where the aliens of the week thought Kirk would fall in love with the woman who was on the empty Enterprise and abandon everything to be with her? Sounds like a plan someone didn't think through...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Powered Descent posted:

The writer apparently wanted to do an overpopulation show but I have no idea what the actual message about it is supposed to be.

“Wrap your tool before we all loving die”. Malthusian catastrophe futures were still a big thing in the 60s, plenty of sci-fi from the time deals with it (Stand on Zanzibar comes to mind) and Paul Ehrlich was preaching that it was just around the corner IRL

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mom says we have to wear these in space because it's cold.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

“Wrap your tool before we all loving die”. Malthusian catastrophe futures were still a big thing in the 60s, plenty of sci-fi from the time deals with it (Stand on Zanzibar comes to mind) and Paul Ehrlich was preaching that it was just around the corner IRL

I would say that they are still a big thing

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah it's a super weird episode that has barely anything to do with the "empty copy of Enterprise" plot in the long run. I made a confusedpost about it somewhere in this thread. It was written by one of the guest stars from "The Trouble With Tribbles", who later killed himself. It also originally had some really uncomfortable scene written in there about overfeeding Nurse Chapel.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

boy this story really just kinda wrapped up sloppily. more than half is about the empty enterprise and the girl and the mystery, then that short awkward period where kirk learns what's behind the mystery, and then spock has to play catch up and read the script so he knows where to find kirk and where to go.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

I would say that they are still a big thing

I think these days it only really appears as half-baked excuses for villains to be villains. Although that may also have to do with how rare directly moralizing in stories seems these days compared to in the 60s (which may largely be echoes of a cold war CIA program to suppress philosophical dissent :tinfoil:, think about that next time you're bored at stories full of spectacle with no substance).

The Malthusian apocalypse has been just around the corner for 222 years, but it still hasn't quite hit. Usually because the problems that come up can usually be solved without a severe reduction in the amount of humans, and in fact, large amounts of humans tend to have greater utility in solving bigger problems, although it's always possible that we won't implement a solution and humanity is fundamentally limited. Only time will tell, sure as the sun will cross the sky.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

piratepilates posted:

For me it's with the TNG episode with the weird time stuff and ends with the romulan ship frozen in time firing on the enterprise. The first half of that episode where they have no loving clue what weird time poo poo is happening is great

Completely agree that this is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about.

When you actually look at the effects of the disruptor it's pretty horrific, but all I could think was that nobody seems to be bothered and how the hell do you aim those guns when the beam comes out like that?!?!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My favorite bad Geordi episode

I've just got to Galaxy's Children, and...yikes. It's got some fun ambitions, but completely misses the mark and lands right on "woman apologises for being creeped out by creepy man"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Who specifically creeped on her.