Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

V. Illych L. posted:

also sanders is sweeping all before him atm and the DNC has very limited ability to actually hurt him. they don't control anyone for whom sanders is nominally responsible and who cannot be replaced by fiat. sanders' campaign is his own and is going to remain such until the end, be that bitter or otherwise. if he gets elected, expect an open war with congressional democrats, but until then there's not a lot they can do that he can't just shut them out of. the more individualistic presidentialism is structurally much more accommodating of outsiders than even relatively open parties like british labour, let alone old world leninist structures like the parties in my country. in 2016 i very much overestimated the impact of clinton's machine politics because where i'm from, a properly machined party is a very powerful thing - our labour leader's biggest problem is precisely that he's a relative outsider and doesn't command the powerful party apparatus, and so has to accept internal squabbling and petty bullshit which means that he's got very little room to maneuver. a presidential campaign doesn't work like that - the candidate mostly gets to pick their closest associates and is not subject to any higher authority, and don't need to tolerate factional behaviour like leaking the minutes of internal meetings or sabotaging edicts or what have you.

the flip side is that it's going to be very difficult for sanders to translate his campaign into an actual institutional force for change on a broader scale and to orchestrate a proper takeover of the DNC. the clintonite holdovers are going to be fighting a very long and very hard rearguard action, to the extent that it might actually be easier to just try to dismantle the whole thing and start afresh. hopefully he'll spend his first four years working very hard on building new civil society institutions loyal to him, boosting union power etc. that's how it has to be if his presidency is going to translate into long-term change

if sanders wins (inshallah) then the biggest actual impact that win will have will be its effect on the democratic party. sanders beating trump means that lots of the people running for office as democrats over the next 6 years will be leftists, it will empower leftist primary challenges, and more importantly a bunch of ideology-free careerists will tack left (because they don't believe in anything anyways!).

edit: remember that a lot of the clintonites and assorted barnacles have been playing up trump as this uniquely evil manifestation of darkness for four years, mostly to avoid discussion of their own role in the current catastrophe. but that means that any democrat who actually beats trump is going to be completely beloved of the base. neera tanden and assorted CAP grifters won't ever like him because he blunts their career prospects, but wine moms in NoVa aren't going to work at think tanks, and as much as they are #neverbernie now if he beats trump they're going to hop on the train so fast it'll make your head spin

DAD LOST MY IPOD has issued a correction as of 15:20 on Feb 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

V. Illych L. posted:

well yes in the idiot world in which we live the second referendum was immediately floated as a way of voiding the first referendum, poisoning the idea. the issue is that as it became obvious that there was no majority for any deal, had the remoaners not been assholes about it to begin with it could've been a way to resolve the thing somewhat amicably one way or the other. it's not, on its face, an unreasonable proposition to actually make a specific brexit deal the issue of a second referendum, it only becomes unreasonable when it's obvious that the only reason you're suggesting it is because it's a way to pretend the first vote never happened

i disagree, i just don't think it was ever neutral or could successfully be pitched that way.
again, if you're a leaver, at what point do you want a 2nd referendum that can overturn your victory?

a 2nd ref without remain, sure, but that defeats the point of a 2nd ref which is kinda the issue lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

if sanders wins (inshallah) then the biggest actual impact that win will have will be its effect on the democratic party. sanders beating trump means that lots of the people running for office as democrats over the next 6 years will be leftists, it will empower leftist primary challenges, and more importantly a bunch of ideology-free careerists will tack left (because they don't believe in anything anyways!).

this is no automatic process. candidate selection is almost inevitably handled at a fairly low level of the party apparatus, and the clintonites are dug so deep that eight years of obama didn't add more than a bit of varnish on top. the bureaucrats of a political organisation believe very strongly in some basic common sense and will try use it to justify their reasoning and their decisions and their position. they've understood the rules of the game since the nineties and are not going to want to change. this is the jimmy carville set, people who specifically embraced end-of-history neoliberalism as an ideology of the left and succeeded

it is true that a sanders presidency is going to recruit some of the more opportunistic of the suits eager to follow his success, but look no further than british labour to see how vicious the fight for a party structure can become. corbyn took every commanding height except for the deputy leadership and the parliamentary party by the end, and the lower-rank bureaucrats are still eager to go back to what they imagine to be tried and true centrism. these people believe in blairism because it's motivated their actions for twenty years. president sanders' fight with the DNC is going to look very similar.

now, a sanders presidency would inevitably motivate a bunch of left-leaning types to try to run for office, but it's very remarkable when that actually happens in defiance of the party structure, and it's almost always helped by some institutional party-like faction when it does happen - the tea party, the progress democrats, momentum. the clintonites are going to have to be replaced, and they will not go gently into that good night

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Communist Thoughts posted:

i disagree, i just don't think it was ever neutral or could successfully be pitched that way.
again, if you're a leaver, at what point do you want a 2nd referendum that can overturn your victory?

a 2nd ref without remain, sure, but that defeats the point of a 2nd ref which is kinda the issue lol

i mean the issue is sort of that leave was allowed to turn into "my victory" rather than just a political decision which looks increasingly shoddy. the identitarian tribalism that was allowed to form around it, encouraged by the ukip set but especially by the hardline FBPE types, was a huge problem from the word go, but could probably have been reined in had the remainers just accepted the result instead of immediately trying to undermine it or making hysterical attempts at delegitimising it

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

no, to be clear the media's line was "let them starve, its because they cant take care of themselves,"

the government's line was actively and purposefully starving them to death to clear the surplus population and make profits on food speculation

e: there was one governor in india during the famines who actually started a proper relief work, while thousands and thousands died all around him his whole province only lost a dozen people to famine.
he was crucified in the UK press and called back to parliament to be shamed. next time we caused another famine he did what he was told and let thousands die.

there was also a rich private UK citizen who was so horrified by the famine he set up famine releif out of his own wallet and managed to help hundreds of people survive. the UK government sanctioned him and sent the military police in to break up his famine relief.

What's a good book on the English capitalist genocide in India?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

i think the last possible opportunity to avert disaster would've been if they could've actually swung a government of national unity, but the loving lib dems shot that down before it could even get going

This. Pretty much Britain is now going to die and let it die. Flee if you can.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I've not read it but heard good things about Late Victorian Holocausts.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Empire: The Rise and Demise of the British World Order and the Lessons for Global Power by the prominent brexit supporter Niall Ferguson, as my conservative aunt once helpfully gave me for christmas.

Careful when you hurl it across the room it's heavy.

e: There's also his "Civilization: The West and the Rest" and his lauded BBC series with the same name as Empire

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Feb 25, 2020

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

oliwan posted:

OK boomer

Ok lib.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Private Speech posted:

Empire: The Rise and Demise of the British World Order and the Lessons for Global Power

by the prominent brexit supporter Niall Ferguson, as my conservative aunt once helpfully gave me for christmas.

Careful when you hurl it across the room it's heavy.

with a name and career like that im picturing sweaty fat guy who thinks hes posh

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I like the blurb:

blurb posted:

A bestselling historian shows how the British Empire created the modern world, in a book lauded as "a rattling good tale" (Wall Street Journal) and "popular history at its best" (Washington Post)

The British Empire was the largest in all history: the nearest thing to global domination ever achieved. The world we know today is in large measure the product of Britain's Age of Empire. The global spread of capitalism, telecommunications, the English language, and institutions of representative government -- all these can be traced back to the extraordinary expansion of Britain's economy, population and culture from the seventeenth century until the mid-twentieth. On a vast and vividly colored canvas, Empire shows how the British Empire acted as midwife to modernity.

Displaying the originality and rigor that have made Niall Ferguson one of the world's foremost historians, Empire is a dazzling tour de force.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol im getting some real chinese nationalist but british vibes from that. every empire was the greatest of all time and responsible for the emergence of the modern world

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

immigration is genuinely unpopular everywhere in the world, let's not kid ourselves by pretending that this is because we just haven't explained it correctly. we must find a way to commit to a solidaric migration policy while mitigating the issue's relevance and avoiding the CONTROLS ON IMMIGRATION mug style of politics. committing to fully open borders would be a disaster politically, it's an extremely marginal position.

Migration within countries can be incredibly unappealing. My mother once mentioned her mother disapprovingly referencing some young person she knew as 'Okie stock' (cf. The Grapes of Wrath). I agree that there's no silver bullet solution to this kind of resentment.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've said it before, but Britain's Empire: Resistance, Repression and Revolt by Richard Gott is a good book, and very c-spam

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Robo Reagan posted:

lol im getting some real chinese nationalist but british vibes from that. every empire was the greatest of all time and responsible for the emergence of the modern world

The best part is he's not just some random tosser, he was a professor at NYU and then Harvard for a while.

Then again the majority of his wikipedia page is about his "controversial" opinions. He thinks Britain should not have gotten involved in the world wars, for one.

There's also this delightful bit:

quote:

At a May 2013 investment conference in Carlsbad, California, Ferguson was asked about his views on economist John Maynard Keynes' quotation that "in the long run we are all dead." Ferguson stated that Keynes was indifferent to the future because he was gay and did not have children. The remarks were widely criticised for being offensive, factually inaccurate, and a distortion of Keynes' ideas.

e: lest someone thinks he's a pacifist, his argument for not getting involved in the world wars is that it would have let Britain split the world with Germany after they'd have won

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Feb 25, 2020

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Try William Dalrymple for deep dives into the East India Company, or Priyamvada Gopal's Insurgent Empire (if it helps, Niall Ferguson hates it). Shashi Tharoor is also pretty good on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1giYXrofZYo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

marktheando posted:

I've not read it but heard good things about Late Victorian Holocausts.

yes this one is extremely good, as in i couldn't read much of it without going mad.
thats the one the horrifying economist quote comes from I think.

i've had a bad habit the last few years of buying new empire books then getting so angry i also put them down for months at a time and buy a new one.
i think i have 4 of them on the go.

- i'm furthest into LVH by Mike Davis, mentioned above, its very good but goes all across the empire and also outside the empire too

- From the Ruins of Empire: The Revolt Against the West and the Remaking of Asia by Pankaj Mishra is about how the east basically had their spirit broken and began to beleive in the superiority of the white westerner and then about what broke that illusion and how it was overcome. its very good and fun to read until it got to the opium wars which nobody told me about at school somehow. then you begin to wonder if all people are this cruel with power or if its just the brits.
- Inglorious Empire: What the British Did to India by Shashi Thanoor is the only one that was available on audiobook and is read by the author who has an amazingly posh british/indian accent (he's the guy in the video above). its written by a politician and shows it. its almost funny after the previous ones where millions of peasants are dying while brits cackle and this goes "and the posh indians were passed over again and again for promotion!" it'd be a great book to get a centrist though cause the stuff is genuinely unfair and cruel like everything else.
- Insurgent Empire - Anticolonial Resistance and British Dissent by Priyamvada Gopal I got for christmas and haven't read yet, but it sounds badass. basically a history from the side of the oppressed and how they liberated themselves and how those movements spread to the british working class.

at one point i had some kind of hilarious british epiphany where i was like "hmm all empires are forged and maintained by disgustingly horrific violence and terror... the british empire was the worlds largest empire," so i set out to find some negative histories of the british empire which were almost non-existent in normal bookstores until very recently.
i really didn't learn about any of this poo poo, and our culture white washes it to such a shocking degree. its like prying up your homes floorboards and finding a mountain of bloody corpses.

e: oh and the first one i read was Churchill's Secret War by Madhusree Mukerjee which is required reading for knowing how much churchill loving hated indians.

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Feb 25, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/agirlcalledlina/status/1232079316495802368?s=21

and so it begins

goodbye, NHS

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

The NHS was doomed from the moment of the brexit vote

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s going to be a two tier system, pay to jump the queue or wait like the peon you are

obvs there will be exceptions for >65 yr olds

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Imo "Bernie can't lose" is as equally dumb as "the US and UK are exactly the same and Bernie is Corbyn"

It's gonna be a hard, bitter fight but look at all the other clowns on that debate stage tonight and tell me he isn't the best shot.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the us also doesn't have the insane cross-party death cult that was/is Leave. without brexit, i think corbyn had a non-zero chance of pulling it off (disclaimer: foreigner opinion)

Lawman 0 posted:

Sanders amusingly if he actually gets his world anti corruption drive going might sweep up a bunch of uk guys with it

the world anti-corruption drive, or how sanders got epstein'd

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

redleader posted:

the us also doesn't have the insane cross-party death cult that was/is Leave. without brexit, i think corbyn had a non-zero chance of pulling it off (disclaimer: foreigner opinion)

the world anti-corruption drive, or how sanders got epstein'd

If he's actually president by then I'd like to think epsteining him wouldn't be quite so easy. For all the complaints about the MIC and US intelligence they do put a lot of effort into preventing something like that.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
just wanted to post UP THE RA! and death to bog island

cheers

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Top City Homo posted:

just wanted to post UP THE RA! and death to bog island

cheers

you’re going to have to be more specific with which bog island

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I have literally stopped listening to radio 4 since the election and accidentally listened to it this morning , and there was a piece about the recent democratic debate. I was quite astonished, it just had nonstop quotes of all the Bernie attacks and they concluded he’s struggling , yet it seems that the majority of the audience feedback was pretty positive for Bernie? I can’t imagine the bbc would propagandise foreign reporting for its domestic audience?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Jel Shaker posted:

I can’t imagine the bbc would propagandise

Propaganda is a fundamentally innate function of the BBC.

It's naive to expect the drones to be capable or even willing to disable their establishment brainwashing only when the news source is overseas.

ynohtna has issued a correction as of 12:36 on Feb 26, 2020

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Private Speech posted:

If he's actually president by then I'd like to think epsteining him wouldn't be quite so easy. For all the complaints about the MIC and US intelligence they do put a lot of effort into preventing something like that.

finally the senate will do its duty and vote to convict on the articles of impeachment

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
:nono: avoid getting drunk :nyd:

:nyd: avoid going to hotel rooms with men :nono:

I don't know why i hadn't blocked all Brexit party members on twitter before now.

MoaM has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Feb 27, 2020

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Jel Shaker posted:

you’re going to have to be more specific with which bog island

:shrug:

whichever

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
SNOW!

Countdown to traffic cause as everyone drives like little squirrels. I'm sure it will be the fault of the EU.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Dravs posted:

SNOW!

Countdown to traffic cause as everyone drives like little squirrels. I'm sure it will be the fault of the EU.

You are jesting but: EU Motor Insurance Law in the UK: Accidents on the road and responsibilities off it

quote:

Given the UK’s reluctance to comply with EU law in this area, Brexit will remove many crucial protective rights enjoyed by third party victims of motor vehicle accidents. The only safeguard against the UK’s continuing breach of EU law is membership of the EU. There are so many breaches of the law (some highlighted in the Roadpeace case and accepted by the High Court, others dealt with in cases including Delaney v Pickett at the Court of Appeal) that those protections that should be available at present, but which are not, will never be achieved once Brexit has been concluded. Further, the remedy which has at least provided some scope for redress, state liability, will also be lost following the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

In other words it's the bloody EU inflating are accident casualty numbers by insisting that third-party victims count.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Wtf is a third party auto accident victim? Unless it's like, someone witnessed an auto accident and had a heart attack from the shock, that sounds like a loving weasel words way of saying "pedestrians run over by car collisions don't count".

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It's complicated (for one it mainly concerns accidents on private land) but the gist of it is that sometimes you get run over by someone and you're only getting money from the UK gov b/c they don't comply with the EU regulations. Which now you won't.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Feb 27, 2020

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Lol, head of home office is suing... The home office. Priti Patel is so bad at her job he is claiming constructive dismissal and will likely win (he has already turned down a settlement so it can become public).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Woo!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quote:

Councils, schools and the public sector will be given powers to suspend laws restricting classroom sizes,
Won't...that just make the spread worse?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
drat, leave it to the tories to use a global pandemic as an excuse to slash teacher's worker's protections, and poo poo up schools even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gonadic io posted:

Won't...that just make the spread worse?

They'll also be removing limits on working hours, just to make sure everyone's tired, stressed, and overcrowded.