Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

zoux posted:

The fact that Sema is targeting Cristina, who is the closest ideologically to her, rather than the ultra-moderate other candidates should tell you something.

Incidentally what was her excuse for the MAGA stuff

https://twitter.com/_semahernandez_/status/1230960087151321089

“Bernie said we should move on after November 2016 and we should try to do our best to work with Trump. I was just trying to share Bernie’s sentiment”

zoux posted:

I believe the issue was that was that by adding in the Tzintzun she was appealing to some kind of esoteric intra-latino conflict over racial authenticity, that is to say, Cristina was implying she's a "real Mexican" as opposed to other hispanic candidates.

I have no idea how salient this issue is in Hispanic political circles in Texas.

Yeah, I’m not Latino so I won’t profess to have any understanding of the issue. If someone was upset by what she said I won’t disagree with that. But it does bother me that the Hernandez crowd is attacking her for using her mother’s name and alluding to her being a fake Latina. The more objectionable thing is probably her taking her ex-husband’s name while they were splitting up right before she ran, but even that I can’t really knock too much. People do weird stuff with divorces especially when kids are involved. My mom kept her name from her first marriage (my dads and my own last name) even after she remarried because she thought it would be confusing for her kids and at school.

I’m not even really hugely into this fight. I gave money to Sema in 2018 and voted for her in the primary. She just never really struck me as a particularly serious candidate and it seemed like Ramirez has a solid platform and a better campaign apparatus so I’ve supported her this time around. But beyond that I don’t really have a dog in the fight.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

“Bernie said we should move on after November 2016 and we should try to do our best to work with Trump. I was just trying to share Bernie’s sentiment”

Ah yes who can forget when Bernie donned the MAGA and said drain the swamp and posted racist political cartoons

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

:laffo:

"He never had my support" directly below the tweet in the thread that shows her own facebook post plastered with #MAGA and a Ben Garrison cartoon. I get that her real aim is "gently caress the government" and she was stupid enough to think that Trump really was going to do Small Government Things rather than just fill his own pockets, but all of that in and of itself is just as disqualifying as anything else.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 22, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/texastribabby/status/1232435342424207361?s=21

Some surprising names in there are anti-Bernie imo

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/TexasTribAbby/status/1232435342424207361?s=20

Extremely lol that these people who have done nothing but lose for 20 years are afraid Bernie is gonna make them lose so bad you guys!!!

I like the throwaway line about Beto doing well in 2018, which also had nothing to do with any of the people quoted in this story scared about Bernie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I hadn’t heard.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

TropicalCoke posted:

ive heard a couple of rumors about Ramirez that are kind of concerning but completely unsubstantiated.

This is the same for me, a lot of smoke - but no fire. On the other hand, people in political positions tolerate a lot of poo poo from abusive bosses - campaign workers aren't allowed to unionize and every Dem campaign in TX would hire scabs in a seconds. Elected officials are verbally and emotionally abusive and campaigns themselves are extraordinarily high stress with long hours.

I'm very glad I sold the gently caress out and don't work in that business anymore, but I tend to believe the things I hear about lovely bosses in politics. Just vote for Royce West - been a good D operator in the state leg forever. Reward him with a run at a statewide.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Oh I hadn’t heard.

gently caress you

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribAbby/status/1232435342424207361?s=20

Extremely lol that these people who have done nothing but lose for 20 years are afraid Bernie is gonna make them lose so bad you guys!!!

I like the throwaway line about Beto doing well in 2018, which also had nothing to do with any of the people quoted in this story scared about Bernie.

Love this - Beto ran the Bernie 2016 playbook here, ran as an unabashed outspoken liberal in Texas, didn't take corporate or PAC money and didn't have any Super PACs while cris-crossing the state doing big rallies to drum up excitement - and he did better than any Dem in 25 years - these people can gently caress off.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Which brings up interesting topic - where you Texas pol posters from?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Sab0921 posted:

Love this - Beto ran the Bernie 2016 playbook here, ran as an unabashed outspoken liberal in Texas, didn't take corporate or PAC money and didn't have any Super PACs while cris-crossing the state doing big rallies to drum up excitement - and he did better than any Dem in 25 years - these people can gently caress off.

I remember a bunch of Serious Texas Democrats back in 2018 who were Raising Concerns about Beto eating poo poo because he wouldn't work with them.

Lmao gently caress them

Same, but technically Baytown :smithicide:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 26, 2020

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
any state house dem who goes on record is probably a big dumbie or chasing clouds or wahtever

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Lewisville for the last 10 years, but I moved to Tacoma, WA in November.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

TropicalCoke posted:

any state house dem who goes on record is probably a big dumbie or chasing clouds or wahtever

They're all State Reps/Congresspeople who endorsed other candidates.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
these are the sort of people who are more worried about getting primaried than they are losing a general

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Spring / Katy for 28 years. Bay Area for 2. Now in Portland for about four years. I keep moving further and further away from home you guys. For my 40th birthday I'll be moving to Alaska.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"Yeah, he's polling like fuckin' gangbusters with Hispanics but that surely won't help him in this, one of the most Hispanic-heavy states in the union."

gently caress off texas dems

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rgv represent

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The lone Panhandle goon :(

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Been kinda all over with stints in Dallas, several Dallas ‘burbs, Denton, El Paso, Houston, and B/CS.

I sometimes am reminded that I know you IRL. But drat you have been everywhere since that time

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Longview, (Colorado), Lubbock, Abilene, Midland, Houston. West Texas was ok but I like Houston.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Wichita Falls '96-'99 and '02-'14 (e: technically I attended public school in Burkburnett but I never actually lived there), with an extremely brief stint in Denton during college. Moved here to suburban Dallas six years ago.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
coppell is and always has been a white wasteland.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sab0921 posted:

I sometimes am reminded that I know you IRL. But drat you have been everywhere since that time

Only 2 of those were after we were in school. Everything else was prior to that. But it’s been pretty cool to experience some very different areas of the state.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SirKibbles posted:

San Antonio here for like 7+ years

It was super hard to find info on stuff like county chair and things that weren't from one biased side or another

Any truth to these?

https://twitter.com/jvgraz/status/1231763507722539008
I don't know if it's true but I've heard stuff like this, yeah.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab, badger and I added each other on facebook in, uh, 2008-ish

JosefStalinator posted:

The lone Panhandle goon :(

Aren't you in the panhandle, BM? Or are you a trucker

very good names for you two if so

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

Sab, badger and I added each other on facebook in, uh, 2008-ish

Aren't you in the panhandle, BM? Or are you a trucker

very good names for you two if so

If we did this is news to me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

2007-09 is kind of a blur

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I've seen more Briscoe Cain signs around here lately (shitloads) than I've seen literally any other political sign that isn't for that one constable whose name I've already forgotten. The others have been non existent except for that one Bloomberg billboard off 10 and Garth in Baytown.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1232730071376461825

I'm so tired

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
louie gohmert voted against the lynching is hate crime bill

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's expected, knowing his district boundaries

the funnier vote is amash against; rear end in a top hat libertarian sticklers about to retire find all sorts of opportunities for ideological rigidity

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Arcella posted:

Longview,

I’m sorry.

TropicalCoke posted:

This doesn’t shock me at all.

I would love to hear his dumbass reason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TropicalCoke posted:

His reason was that if'n we passed it, then offenders would only face the 10 year federal sentence instead of capital punishment here in Texas. Which he knows isn't true because he was a state district judge for ten years.

Steve fuckin King voted for it

i say swears online posted:

that's expected, knowing his district boundaries

the funnier vote is amash against; rear end in a top hat libertarian sticklers about to retire find all sorts of opportunities for ideological rigidity

At least he's extremely consistent, I can at least respect that. His politics are abysmal but I gotta give points these days for not being a massive, craven hypocrite. Yeah I know I'm handing it to ISIL

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 27, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

zoux posted:

His reason was that if'n we passed it, then offenders would only face the 10 year federal sentence instead of capital punishment here in Texas. Which he knows isn't true because he was a state district judge for ten years.

If that were true then I might actually support him.

I’m one of the (sadly) few goons that fuckin looooooooves capital punishment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:thunk:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oh boy

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This should be fun, we haven't had this derail in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Sab0921 posted:

This is the same for me, a lot of smoke - but no fire. On the other hand, people in political positions tolerate a lot of poo poo from abusive bosses - campaign workers aren't allowed to unionize and every Dem campaign in TX would hire scabs in a seconds. Elected officials are verbally and emotionally abusive and campaigns themselves are extraordinarily high stress with long hours.

I'm very glad I sold the gently caress out and don't work in that business anymore, but I tend to believe the things I hear about lovely bosses in politics. Just vote for Royce West - been a good D operator in the state leg forever. Reward him with a run at a statewide.

Royce West's position on M4All was the deal breaker for me he seemed nice otherwise

I. M. Gei posted:

If that were true then I might actually support him.

I’m one of the (sadly) few goons that fuckin looooooooves capital punishment.

Why gentle goon do you trust our corrupt rear end government with that authority? Like that's the heart of it, your personal position on it is basically irrelevant, our current government can't be trusted with that power (see also mandatory military enlistment)

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 27, 2020