Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bagual posted:

Supposedly the environmental police should be the ones carrying the guns as IBAMA is a federal civil institution, not a law enforcement agency itself. It's weird because the bolzos hate IBAMA with fury, Bozo himself having been aprehended for illegal fishing, but i guess they love guns more? Idk

Yeah, that's the confusing part. I tried looking it up and they passed legislation facilitating the USE of guns, which is what got me. But they're not standard-issue, you have to ask for the right to carry.

Also Bolsonaro is a petty bitch:

https://www.gazetadopovo.com.br/pol...naob0visvoyigm/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Dias posted:

I think they just facilitated IBAMA agents having firearms, actually. It's kinda confusing.

This news article from September agrees with you: https://noticias.uol.com.br/meio-am...por-fiscais.htm
According to it, IBAMA agents previously could use force only in extreme situations. Now they follow a police logic of proportional response. The change apparently originated in IBAMA itself. Maybe Bolsonaro only meant to facilitate arms bearing for other agents and the IBAMA higher-ups exploited some legal loophole to give their own guys a chance to defend themselves.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That might help to explain it
https://theintercept.com/2020/02/18/bolsonaro-mourao-moro-esvaziam-ibama/

Bolsonaro and Moro are working to take effective power away from IBAMA

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Bipedal hog Bolsonaro has just stated during a press meeting that a journalist (whom he named) was selling her pussy to get material against him.

Some neoliberal pundits finally start grumbling that perhaps, just maybe, he's not the good guy in this story.

It just doesn't make themshiver with bliss as it did when he saod that minorities have to submit ot disappear, I guess.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Also Bolsonaro seems really, really worried about what might show up in one of the murdered death squad member’s phones.

https://twitter.com/quasemarcio/status/1229726731847839744?s=21

Murdered death squad member whose supposed autopsy was just posted by Senator Failson on his Twitter

The Unnamed One has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Feb 19, 2020

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mauricio de Sousa being straight up Brazilian Jim Davis makes this even funnier, and I say this as someone who loves his comics and is fully aware of the Tezuka (And Ian JQ) connection.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
When us ignorant USians hear "police riot" images of Occupy, Ferguson, Standing Rock, Portland August 4th, and the Boston Straight Pride Parade immediately come to our minds. Am I dumb to have not expected a full blown, blackbloc police riot? :stare:
https://twitter.com/PersonalEscrito/status/1230249807660437506

Lucy_Cominato
Oct 23, 2010
I feel that Ceará has just gained a new militia,just like the Rio one

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Bipedal hog Bolsonaro has just stated during a press meeting that a journalist (whom he named) was selling her pussy to get material against him.

Some neoliberal pundits finally start grumbling that perhaps, just maybe, he's not the good guy in this story.

It just doesn't make themshiver with bliss as it did when he saod that minorities have to submit ot disappear, I guess.

:froggonk:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

very normal when police is hooded and tells shops to close up around the town

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The station that outright did a countdown until Lula's arrest and did a "Mea Culpa for Us Priveldged Sheltered White Portuguese To Not Grovel Down For Mighty Anti-colonialism Bolsonaro for judging him soooo hard" referred to the senator as being "typically toxically male typical of northeastern Brazil that will get votes for this". To oppose what is going to yet another major death squad.

Oh yeah there was indeed talk about "political correct language", but there was to tell a black soccer player to not mind a banana being thrown at him while recently someone dragged a random black guy to a working car and made him "smoke" the exhaust pipe while calling him said black soccer player's name.

Kunster has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Feb 20, 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ceará governor is from PT, and is an ally of the Gomes brothers

And the PM all over the country is deeply bolsonarista. This is no normal strike

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Which is why it's kind of horrifyingly stupid. AT LEAST you could try to make the case that Jeanine Anez's criticisms towards her were 100% based on sexism, if you don't know, anything ever, about anyone and came out of a cryochamber and blatered to everyone on how reading news is just to make you anxious or whatever. This was just "Oh huh he did something daring which is why he did a sexism since Ceará is deeply sexist" from people who cheered on Bolso's election.

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Elias_Maluco posted:

And the PM all over the country is deeply bolsonarista.

Yeah, despite them being underpaid, understaffed, undertrained and badly equipped as usual, they're still ready to align with the rich. Their indoctrination is nothing short of astounding.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Gomes Bros. are...interesting, but this situation is very weird and I almost bought into Cid Gomes just doing something very dumb outta bravado because of how the media was reporting it. I had to do some legwork to learn that it's not a strike, the strike happened and they got their pay raises, and then a small group decided "but what if we can get more" by threatening local businesses and forcing a blockade.

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Dias posted:

The Gomes Bros. are...interesting, but this situation is very weird and I almost bought into Cid Gomes just doing something very dumb outta bravado because of how the media was reporting it. I had to do some legwork to learn that it's not a strike, the strike happened and they got their pay raises, and then a small group decided "but what if we can get more" by threatening local businesses and forcing a blockade.

Besides, military police are constitutionally forbidden to strike. Article 42 says they count as "state military" and that article 142 applies to them. Article 142 says the military can't join unions, political parties or strike. That whole mess was illegal to begin with, even before the threats and blockades.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Global Disorder posted:

Besides, military police are constitutionally forbidden to strike. Article 42 says they count as "state military" and that article 142 applies to them. Article 142 says the military can't join unions, political parties or strike. That whole mess was illegal to begin with, even before the threats and blockades.

I kinda tend to go "well, they should be able to strike but lol one of the many reasons to abolish military police" so that part of it I don't care about too much. But yeah, it's a mutiny, legally speaking, and it got uglier. But it's the cops so they get to do whatever and the media won't say poo poo.

However, just so people don't start thinking he's an antifa hero, Cid Gomes has repressed violently plenty of other protests and strikes too. Also said that if teachers wanted to be paid well, they should leave the public system.

Dias has issued a correction as of 23:05 on Feb 20, 2020

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Dias posted:

However, just so people don't start thinking he's an antifa hero, Cid Gomes has repressed violently plenty of other protests and strikes too. Also said that if teachers wanted to be paid well, they should leave the public system.

For any foreign goons in the thread: one of the many causes of infighting in the Brazilian left-wing is whether the Gomes brothers are oligarchs, "oligarchs, but OUR oligarchs, somewhat on our side most of the time and less evil than most other options", or great dudes keeping the labor movement flame alive.

I mentioned the illegality of the strike not so much out of legal pedantry, and sure, the MP ought to be demilitarized ASAP. It was more to wonder at the middle class reaction of always applauding the cops when they go all-out on strikers because they're "lazy, lawless bums"... then applauding the cops when they go on an illegal strike because they're "underpaid hard workers".

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/desnecessauro/status/1231171928293101575

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Not enough drugs imo

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

COVID-19 confirmed in Brazil. We made it y'all

https://www1.folha.uol.com.br/equilibrioesaude/2020/02/brasil-confirma-primeiro-caso-do-novo-coronavirus.shtml

We're finally at the world stage!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

lel, took a while

with some luck it pushes things a bit like the plague in disco elysium that leads to MAZOVIAN SOCIO-ECONOMICS (greatest alternate name ever for historical materialism)

(i am joking plagues are not cool)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, after General Heleno was ""leaked" saying "gently caress the congress" (actually he said that in a live transmission, but later cried it was a personal conversation leaked by the press), big protests against the congress are being called for 15/3

Yesterday Jair Bolsonaro himself used his cellphone to share a video calling for that protest

So thats where we are now: the president is calling people for a protest to close the congress

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The stock market is still trending up. That's all that matters.

They could nuke congress and the Supreme Court and install Bozo as the God-emperor and it wouldn't ever earn them more than those silly letters of condemnation from other institutions.

Besides, they have stacked government positions with so many military officers that any real impeachment movement would mean taking the army's stolen candy away, and we all know how that ends in Latin America.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

2020 is not 1964 though

like, in cities like Rio de Janeiro, Recife, Fortaleza etc the Army ends up indirectly training people to shoot for the narcs, there is a lot more divergence on regional political theatres than back then and ultimately, Bolsonaro can try as hard as he can but Roberto Setúbal still holds far more actual political power than he can ever dream of

the best case scenario that conservative idiots and pseudoliberals desire is already here: peak bullshit moralism, Bolsonaro sabre-rattling to keep the government increasingly dysfunctional while profits raise, "BUT THE COUNTRY ISN'T GOING FORWARD"

gee I would wonder about what you actually want then

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

2020 is not 1964 though

like, in cities like Rio de Janeiro, Recife, Fortaleza etc the Army ends up indirectly training people to shoot for the narcs, there is a lot more divergence on regional political theatres than back then and ultimately, Bolsonaro can try as hard as he can but Roberto Setúbal still holds far more actual political power than he can ever dream of

the best case scenario that conservative idiots and pseudoliberals desire is already here: peak bullshit moralism, Bolsonaro sabre-rattling to keep the government increasingly dysfunctional while profits raise, "BUT THE COUNTRY ISN'T GOING FORWARD"

gee I would wonder about what you actually want then

I don't think so. Hell, in 1964 the southern states almost rose against the coup, led by true populists like Brizola. There's nothing even close to that level of engagement now.

The top dogs like the bankers are making hay while the sun is shining, as they always do, but even they are feeling some of their control slip now that the influence of old m(and Globo in particular) is fading in favor of direct communication, religious sects and international movements.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

my point is more that what Bolsonaro's base wants is already here, has been for a while and that they keep wanting "more" shows how fucktarded the situation is

protesting against congress is just sabre rattling, because the reactionaries are completely dependent on conservative support (which is also multi-aspected) and still has to work with liberal factions who regard this government purely in economic terms, and because bolsonaro is a dumbass, he doesn't realize that they are still going his way in a lot of things

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This week we had a pretty good demonstration of all the bots that Bolsonaro has going on in social media

Atletico (rip) was eliminated by a 4th division team in the Copa do Brasil, and then decided to fire its director of football, Rui Costa. Rui Costa is also the name of a governor from PT. So social media was flooded with stuff like this:

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Mar 1, 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Next episode, in Brazil: Ronaldinho (famous football player and currently "tourism ambassador" for the Bolsonaro government) gets arrested in Paraguay bearing fake documents

https://twitter.com/lcoutinho/status/1235398185507590148

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

drat thats sad to watch

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Global Disorder posted:

For any foreign goons in the thread: one of the many causes of infighting in the Brazilian left-wing is whether the Gomes brothers are oligarchs, "oligarchs, but OUR oligarchs, somewhat on our side most of the time and less evil than most other options", or great dudes keeping the labor movement flame alive.

I mentioned the illegality of the strike not so much out of legal pedantry, and sure, the MP ought to be demilitarized ASAP. It was more to wonder at the middle class reaction of always applauding the cops when they go all-out on strikers because they're "lazy, lawless bums"... then applauding the cops when they go on an illegal strike because they're "underpaid hard workers".

They absolutely are loving Oligarchs, the Ferreira Gomes clan held power in the city of Sobral (which is where Cid got shot btw lol) since the loving late 19th century. Ciro is a snake cocksucker who craves power above everything and has tried to cling himself like a leech on the Centrão, PT opposition and PSDB all to no avail.

On better news, the mutiny ended last week, governor Camilo managed to show strength by not ceding ground to the mutineers and while a former protegé of Cid and Ciro, he now definitely has the political capital to become his own man now, and Bolsonaro and Moro ended up looking like assholes for their backhanded reluctance to help. And now it's probably unlikelier than other mutinies might follow, even if Bolso supports those.

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 15:06 on Mar 5, 2020

Global Disorder
Jan 9, 2020

Plutonis posted:

They absolutely are loving Oligarchs, the Ferreira Gomes clan held power in the city of Sobral (which is where Cid got shot btw lol) since the loving late 19th century. Ciro is a snake cocksucker who craves power above everything and has tried to cling himself like a leech on the Centrão, PT opposition and PSDB all to no avail.

Thanks for proving my point. ;) Not that I disagree with you. I got seriously disappointed with Ciro in October 2018, when he traveled to Europe instead of taking a stand for democracy.

Plutonis posted:

On better news, the mutiny ended last week, governor Camilo managed to show strength by not ceding ground to the mutineers and while a former protegé of Cid and Ciro, he now definitely has the political capital to become his own man now

That's very good news. We desperately need some capable left wingers who won't bow before the established leaders who helped get us in this mess. Looks like the Northeast is coming to Brazil's rescue, despite the rest of the country treating it like poo poo.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I mean, that is almost the entire history of Brazil after independence.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/greengodict/status/1235697687904661504
https://twitter.com/Estadao/status/1235694074872475648

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Agostinho Carrara is an icon and deserves the homage now that his livelihood is being threatened by Uber.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Global Disorder posted:

Thanks for proving my point. ;) Not that I disagree with you. I got seriously disappointed with Ciro in October 2018, when he traveled to Europe instead of taking a stand for democracy.

my disappointment with ciro happened when it was revealed that a lot of infighting/lack of unity against bolsonaro in 2018 was due to him being a huge pain in the rear end behind the curtains.

not that I think he would've won but I expected him to be more pragmatic.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

gently caress me. Read this thread, everyone. Those of you who can read Portuguese at least.

https://twitter.com/leandroassis73/status/1222298320330264582?s=19

I'm seriously considering translating all that to English as soon as I can.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Negostrike posted:

gently caress me. Read this thread, everyone. Those of you who can read Portuguese at least.

https://twitter.com/leandroassis73/status/1222298320330264582?s=19

I'm seriously considering translating all that to English as soon as I can.

please do, or at least provide a summary tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Deus vult

https://twitter.com/da_museu/status/1235903556856799232