Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The MSJ posted:

There's actually another CSI show where a hacker took advantage of a flaw in his victim's internet-connected printer, making it overheat and set the house on fire.

Very hosed up that CSI not only ripped off MegaMan Battle Network, but made it somehow more outlandish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

The General posted:

Lighters are unsafe to keep in your house.

https://i.imgur.com/vSh1YbE.png

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: APPLY A PASSWORD TO THE IGNITION

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do you need a vibrator . . . for your socks? 936 people think they do.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ultrasona/ultrasona-ultrasonic-cleaning-in-the-palm-of-your-hand

Is a hundred bucks too much to give your socks a good time?

This doesn't seem to be a new product, similar things have been around for years (and don't work very well) but this one has captured imaginations and made 25X the original funding goal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A washing machine just seems a lot more efficient.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

i feel like there's a visible cut after the countdown finishes and before he takes the socks out

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah that is a cut, there is no way socks can be embedded that deep in water and not be sopping wet when taken out of the bowl. Even if it shook out all the dirt the dirty water would still be soaked into the sock.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Facebook Aunt posted:

Do you need a vibrator . . . for your socks? 936 people think they do.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ultrasona/ultrasona-ultrasonic-cleaning-in-the-palm-of-your-hand

Is a hundred bucks too much to give your socks a good time?

This doesn't seem to be a new product, similar things have been around for years (and don't work very well) but this one has captured imaginations and made 25X the original funding goal.

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: where socks happens today

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh yeah, loving $100,000 industrial ultrasonic sinks don't somehow magically clean poo poo even if they're immersed in dirty solvent, a souped up version of your mom's vibrator isn't going to magically be better.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Waffleman_ posted:

A washing machine just seems a lot more efficient.

But does your washing machine kill 99% percent of bacteria, remove pesticides from produce, and disinfect your toothbrush?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Hungry Computer posted:

But does your washing machine kill 99% percent of bacteria, remove pesticides from produce, and disinfect your toothbrush?

Even if it did, it wouldn't be enough -- cavitation alone isn't capable of killing most fungal spores. Ultrasonic cleaners get lots of use for medical tools, but it's mostly just a pre-wash before everything gets tossed in an autoclave for actual sterilization.

(Also, plain old water has too much surface tension and doesn't produce a ton of bubbles, which is why cleaners usually come with surfactant tablets to mix in.)

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Yeah, I reported it for false health claims. In the comments they're claiming that internal testing proves their claims 100%, but they can't get a lab to confirm it right now because of the coronavirus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hungry Computer posted:

If it was so easy I'm positive GE would already be packaging it with existing washing machines, its so trivial. The fact they don't inherently proves someone has tested it and found it doesn't help.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Bold claims of efficiency aside, who in sane mind thought that having a cord going from wall socket right to a bowl of water is okay?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Bold claims of efficiency aside, who in sane mind thought that having a cord going from wall socket right to a bowl of water is okay?

Submermisible pumps/aquarium pumps/filters/heaters....its not really that big of a deal. It's not pumping mains AC into the thing.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That is a massive plug on that thing. Good luck with that in a small space.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A "use anywhere" ultrasonic cleaner isn't a bad idea, but they're definitely overselling it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Cyril Sneer posted:

Submermisible pumps/aquarium pumps/filters/heaters....its not really that big of a deal. It's not pumping mains AC into the thing.

Yes you are right, though things you listed are produced and tested by actual engineers who kinda know what they're doing.
I just think its a bad idea to rely on people who are funding an idea they clearly only thought on levels of 'that would be cool' and ordered a prototype in china.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Yes you are right, though things you listed are produced and tested by actual engineers who kinda know what they're doing.
I just think its a bad idea to rely on people who are funding an idea they clearly only thought on levels of 'that would be cool' and ordered a prototype in china.

It's a literal off-the-shelf component (that probably explains the bulkiness of the power supply).

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Been out of the Kickstarter business for a while (no disposable income), so I took a browse today.

I was pleasantly surprised to see our our friend SAFE Helmet Bubble Hat is still at it!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1401357387/safe-helmet-bubble-hat?ref=discovery_category_newest

He has a $50,000 goal with a single pledge tier of $1, which is limited to 100 backers.

You would think by this point he might at least have some clue how Kickstarter works.

Oh, and the video has somehow gotten worse.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This week's Dollop is about Doug Evans and Juciero. I'm an hour in, they just got to his desire to get rid of flies at his company thru catch and release pest control. And there are still 40 minutes left in the podcast. Wow.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RandomPauI posted:

The Dollop

Speaking of lovely unscrupulous crowdfunding guys.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Speaking of lovely unscrupulous crowdfunding guys.

What'd they do

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I remember they got absolutely rinsed for basically just reading out other peoples articles and research without citing it, and then when they were called out on it, blamed the fact that they didn't have a website on which they could post the sources? None of this was ever referenced on the podcast, and the most egregious episodes were simply deleted from the feed. I've not heard of any crowdfunding issues before.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Yeah they basically just read other people's work into a microphone without ever mentioning the people or source material that actually provide the source content. They got called out on it and acted supremely lovely about it.

It's the podcast version of being paid in exposure, except there wasn't even any exposure.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah that’s always bothered me about their whole format. At least the MBMBAM guys cite the users they quote.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

iospace posted:

A "use anywhere" ultrasonic cleaner isn't a bad idea, but they're definitely overselling it.

Yeah, I got one off kickstarter a year or so ago and it’s great for jewelry and small stuff.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Dollop extensively cites sources now, and has for some time. They handled it lousily when it first came up but seem fine about it now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can't say if this game is awful or not because I'm too distracted by the art.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nordicravengames/crowded-cave

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pretty sure the title should be efficacy not efficiency.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's true, not even the legendarily multi-layered systems in Breath of the Wild let you eat fairies to gain power. Looks like Nordic Raven finally does what Nintendon't!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't say if this game is awful or not because I'm too distracted by the art.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nordicravengames/crowded-cave

So...was this made by OddOne?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I regret to inform you that the art may have in fact been done by an actual literal child and so now I feel somewhat bad for laughing at it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's true, not even the legendarily multi-layered systems in Breath of the Wild let you eat fairies to gain power. Looks like Nordic Raven finally does what Nintendon't!

Yeah there's a real lack of Vore in mainstream games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

H2SO4 posted:

Yeah they basically just read other people's work into a microphone without ever mentioning the people or source material that actually provide the source content. They got called out on it and acted supremely lovely about it.

It's the podcast version of being paid in exposure, except there wasn't even any exposure.

Yeah, they were bringing in five figures a month on Patreon with the justification that they had to spend so much time researching the material of their show. And then when it came out that they were literally just plagiarizing everything word for word from other websites they had a meltdown and simultaneously claimed that it wasn't true, that they were comedians so it was OK for them to plagiarize because them obnoxiously chortling over the reading was what they were paid for, and declaring that it was fair use to plagiarize because it was about historical events and you can't own history maaaan.

neongrey posted:

Dollop extensively cites sources now, and has for some time. They handled it lousily when it first came up but seem fine about it now.

Getting famous enough off of plagiarism that when you eventually get caught you can just crowdsource your original resource to a bunch of unpaid fans does not in any way make up for how lovely they are, if anything it makes it even worse. Especially when their entire brand is built around chastising public figures for acting badly and dedicating increasingly longer segments of their show to absolutely humorless rants about how unjust it is that unscrupulous people are allowed to flourish in our society, they're just as lovely and fake as any of the people they call out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FirstAidKite posted:

I regret to inform you that the art may have in fact been done by an actual literal child and so now I feel somewhat bad for laughing at it.

Original character do not steal

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Let me show you this here Attack on Titan video game...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Kirby games exist though?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Dragon’s Dogma shines once again.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The Lone Badger posted:

Pretty sure the title should be efficacy not efficiency.

You're 100% right from a linguistic standpoint but not from the "directly quoting a post from this thread" one :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

AntherUslessPoster's mistaken word usage is enshrined forever