Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/1232390966927122432

Uh oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finally a Jurassic Park with the Jem Hadar

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In which Bryce Dallas Howard becomes dependent on Ketracel White.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Finally a Jurassic Park with the Jem Hadar

A genetically modified dino that supposedly needs a chemical given to it regularly by it's masters to live......

I'm expecting in this case it will be dino that can turn invisible and reaches terrifying adulthood in 4 months

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cute manicure

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wasn't there some VOY bad guys who were evolved dinosaurs

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Wasn't there some VOY bad guys who were evolved dinosaurs

from earth

and the Voyager holodeck perfectly predicted their entire evolutionary path because biological teleology or something

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I only half remember that episode. Why did they leave earth and go to the other side of the galaxy?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dinosaurs are just pre-birds so I guess the Xindi-Avians (rip lol)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*door swishes*

*velociraptor enters*

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can hear Picard going "clever girl" without even trying

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

from earth

and the Voyager holodeck perfectly predicted their entire evolutionary path because biological teleology or something

That's a good rear end holodeck

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I can hear Picard going "clever girl" without even trying

This can’t be right, Picard is the crusty old scientist who learns to tolerate small children. The snide gunman who dies without accomplishing anything should be Worf

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's a good rear end holodeck

Bio-Neural Gel Packs :smug:

Just don't make cheese near them

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

This can’t be right, Picard is the crusty old scientist who learns to tolerate small children. The snide gunman who dies without accomplishing anything should be Worf

"I am alive as you start to eat me, this is without honor!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Bloop posted:

A genetically modified dino that supposedly needs a chemical given to it regularly by it's masters to live......

I'm expecting in this case it will be dino that can turn invisible and reaches terrifying adulthood in 4 months

It emerges from the egg fully functional with all of its adult capabilities. It was genetically designed to only eat dumb tourists. It can not be detected by any human devices.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

That's actually how it worked in the first Jurassic Park haha

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:thejoke: but I never really thought about the similarities to the Jem'Hadar until I wrote it

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Lost World novel had chameleon dinosaurs too so you might be onto something tbh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Or didn't work, as the dinos just started eating lima beans

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

Or didn't work, as the dinos just started eating lima beans

Is that what it was? I'm kind of fuzzy but I thought the explanation was "we spliced in so much external DNA that who fuckin' knows what they're biologically capable of"

Maybe that was the explanation for how they were breeding?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They were breeding because of frog DNA or something. When there are two many female frogs, some will mutate into males, or so the book claims.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is that what it was? I'm kind of fuzzy but I thought the explanation was "we spliced in so much external DNA that who fuckin' knows what they're biologically capable of"

Maybe that was the explanation for how they were breeding?

In the epilogue it's heavily implied some dinos escaped to the mainland and that they were grazing on plants with high lysene content. It's never followed up on in the Lost World because Crichton was never going to write a sequel to JP until the movie blew up. The Lost World is the first book I ever read where I could tell it was rushed out and written with a movie already in mind.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Dog_Meat posted:

When you actually look at the effects of the disruptor it's pretty horrific, but all I could think was that nobody seems to be bothered and how the hell do you aim those guns when the beam comes out like that?!?!

Imagine what this image would have looked like had the beam come out straight. :ohdear:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

In the epilogue it's heavily implied some dinos escaped to the mainland and that they were grazing on plants with high lysene content. It's never followed up on in the Lost World because Crichton was never going to write a sequel to JP until the movie blew up. The Lost World is the first book I ever read where I could tell it was rushed out and written with a movie already in mind.

And then they changed a bunch of it for the movie anyway :haw:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This disappointed me so much as a kid! I couldn't understand why they changed so much.

Though as an adult I now appreciate the t-rex as godzilla sequence.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In the book it's 2 kids who were the expedition tech guy's lab assistants who stow away onto the island, they changed it to 1 kid (who is also Malcolm's adopted daughter??) in the movie for uhhh focus testing reasons maybe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah it hosed me up that there were like 30 raptors in the JP book instead of three in the movie. Also no rocket launcher tranqs :eng99:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

marktheando posted:

I only half remember that episode. Why did they leave earth and go to the other side of the galaxy?

Well probably earth getting smacked by an asteroid and extincting everything didn't help. They were a totally spaceborne civilisation after that, and they were on the other side of the galaxy in Voyager because I dunno but they're transwarp capable so jetting around the galaxy is trivial and over the millions of years they forgot their origin.

They're probably the most advanced species ever seen in trek that's not an energy blob, actually. They have transwarp, they could just fold space to teleport their ships hundreds of light years instantly as well, their capital city is a dozen or so kilometre long city ship, they cloak and go out of phase casually, they beamed the whole of Voyager into a cargo bay of their city and just turned the ship off and suppressed all power and batteries without a problem.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 26, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

marktheando posted:

Wasn’t it due to the KT event

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

The Star Trek we were promised but never delivered.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn’t it due to the KT event

I mean yeah obviously, I was more questioning why they went so far away. Must have travelled past a billion earth like planets to get to the delta quadrant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

marktheando posted:

I mean yeah obviously, I was more questioning why they went so far away. Must have travelled past a billion earth like planets to get to the delta quadrant.

Gotta get away from Ohio

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

CPColin posted:

Imagine what this image would have looked like had the beam come out straight. :ohdear:

That's... a good point

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I got the impression that the space dinos didn't have any FTL when they left Earth and it just took them forever to get to the other side of the Galaxy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

CPColin posted:

Like Crusher’s tits can shoot lasers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dog_Meat posted:

That's... a good point

I mean that's exactly what happened, they shot it and the VFX people were like, well we can't have it vaporizing her in the titties so I guess romulan disruptors have an extremely dire ballistics drop

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

I mean that's exactly what happened, they shot it and the VFX people were like, well we can't have it vaporizing her in the titties so I guess romulan disruptors have an extremely dire ballistics drop

Ballistic drop should cause the beam to arc to the floor instead of going in a straight line. Are we to assume this is some sort of magical gravity plating that causes objects to fall in a such a way that there is no acceleration and objects fall at a constant speed? I hope someone was fired over that blunder.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Is there any canonical difference between phasers and disruptors or does Starfleet just have strong branding on what's basically the same deal?

e: If a Starfleet officer picks up a Romulan weapon, is it now a phaser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Is there any canonical difference between phasers and disruptors or does Starfleet just have strong branding on what's basically the same deal?

e: If a Starfleet officer picks up a Romulan weapon, is it now a phaser?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpHq0KdNrZE

tldw: phasers are good guy lasers because they can do non killing things, disruptors are bad guy lasers because they cannot

And then there's the Varon-T type disruptor, which is the baddest guy lazer