Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, take hope thread. My son turns 9 this week and he loving hates Trump. And Putin,

Mine has been passing out copies of the Communist Manifesto in his 8th grade social studies class. No notes home yet, so he's either low-key enough or the teacher is a comrade. I can't wait for parent-teacher conferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ikanreed posted:

Still think leaded gasoline is why boomers, specifically, suck

that combined with a shift to huge lawns and thus lawnmowers blowing that exhaust right into their face in huge amounts every single week

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Epic High Five posted:

that combined with a shift to huge lawns and thus lawnmowers blowing that exhaust right into their face in huge amounts every single week

No seriously. Lead specifically fucks you up if you get it young.

Silent generation grew up before suburb hell. Gen x grew up during the no lead transition and got half hosed up.

Boomers got the full treatment

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

so you're saying that we just need all of the schools that are currently performing active shooter drills to accompany said drills with a repeating message "THIS IS HAPPENING BECAUSE OF CAPITALISM"
No, we need to arm the students and send them out to exterminate the landlord class.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ikanreed posted:

No seriously. Lead specifically fucks you up if you get it young.

Silent generation grew up before suburb hell. Gen x grew up during the no lead transition and got half hosed up.

Boomers got the full treatment

the paint in houses all had lead too

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I guess I'm saying chemtrails are real they just don't come out of planes

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

ikanreed posted:

I guess I'm saying chemtrails are real they just don't come out of planes

Unless you dump a bunch of avgas on an elementary school.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Freaking Crumbum posted:

so you're saying that we just need all of the schools that are currently performing active shooter drills to accompany said drills with a repeating message "THIS IS HAPPENING BECAUSE OF CAPITALISM"

i mean, if they're going to keep traumatizing kids anyway, might as well get some long-term benefits out of it

We won't know unless we try it :eng101:

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
fun fact, the engineer who invented leaded gasoline also invented CFCs. don't worry though, he eventually put his creative genius to good use:

quote:

In 1940, at the age of 51, Midgley contracted poliomyelitis, which left him severely disabled. He devised an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys to lift himself out of bed. In 1944, he became entangled in the device and died of strangulation.[17][18][19]

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Casimir Radon posted:

If you still have any positive feelings towards Eastwood, do yourself a favor and look up Sondra Locke.

quote:

From October 1975 until April 1989, Locke cohabited with actor Clint Eastwood. They first met in 1972, but became involved while filming The Outlaw Josey Wales.[3][37] Late in the 1970s, Locke had two abortions.[a] "I'd feel sorry for any child that had me for a mother," she told syndicated columnist Dick Kleiner in 1969.[38] After the second abortion she underwent a tubal ligation, stating in her autobiography that her decision to have the procedures was due to Eastwood's adamancy that parenthood would not fit into their lifestyle.[4] Eastwood secretly fathered another woman's two children during the last three years of their relationship.[4]

In 1989, Locke filed a palimony suit against Eastwood after he changed the locks on their Bel-Air home, and moved her possessions into storage while she was filming Impulse.[3][39] Following a year-long legal battle, the parties reached a settlement wherein Eastwood set up a film development/directing pact for Locke at Warner Bros. in exchange for dropping the suit.[39][40] Locke sued Eastwood again for fraud in 1995, alleging the deal with Warner was a sham
:staredog::staredog::staredog:
edit:

quote:

Locke explained in her autobiography: "Before I had met Clint my gynecologist had suggested and fitted for me an IUD. Because my sex life was not very active, he did not think I should be constantly taking birth control pills. Clint complained of the IUD – it was uncomfortable for him, he said. And he too was not in favor of birth control pills, so he suggested a special clinic at Cedars Hospital where they taught a 'natural' method of birth control. It was the same 'rhythm' system that historically has been used to determine the fertile days for those who are attempting to achieve pregnancy. Of course, it could be used for the opposite results as well. Not only was I taught their method but I was constantly monitored with regular pregnancy checks. The whole process was awkward and entailed taking my temperature every morning and marking the calendar, etc. It was demanding and ultimately it had failed twice."[4]
:staredog::staredog::staredog::staredog::staredog::staredog:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

fun fact, the engineer who invented leaded gasoline also invented CFCs. don't worry though, he eventually put his creative genius to good use:

Clair Patterson worked his whole life fighting leaded gas and other stuff, eventually winning despite the entire corporate machine being leveraged against him, and for his efforts from written from all histories everywhere because it could not be permitted for him to be an example to children and students lmao

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Right turn, Clyde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i98QrSSHxo4

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Patterson got his start actually by finally figuring out the age of the earth via uranium - lead ratios. Figuring out why most of his samples were massively lead contaminated was what led him to discover and then fight against leaded gasoline

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lead is some nasty poo poo and it doesn't even break down or weather or anything, once it's in your soil it's there forever

remediation is just digging it up and dumping that soil into a hazardous waste dump, there isn't really anything else you can do

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

the paint in houses all had lead too

You had to chew on the paint to get hosed up though. There was enough lead in gas fumes that you can pull the gravel off the shoulder of any highway built before the seventies and detect lead in it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You had to chew on the paint to get hosed up though.

My dad's cousin is severely autistic and when we were kids they told us he ate paint chips. Also his sister was mentally disabled and they told us she fell out of a crib as a baby.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Ah, the ol' Vatican roulette, aka 'rhythm method', aka 'Natural Family Planning'. I went to an all-boys Catholic high school, and they taught us that nonsense (and only that nonsense, with respect to birth control) during sophomore year. A middle-aged (ostensible) virgin standing in front of a classroom of giggling 14-year old boys to talk about the specific parts of the menstrual cycle in which it is safe to gently caress is exactly as ridiculous as it sounds.

Didn't know all that poo poo about Eastwood, but it fits neatly in the "alarming but completely unsurprising" file.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
california has great weather for preserving old cars so it's not super rare to see one with a historical exemption plate driving down the street.

one car that must have been built in the 30's or something passed me by once and holy poo poo the fumes on that thing. i could smell it for a good 30 seconds afterward and you just knew whatever it was pumping out was bad

Apr 7, 2003

cumshitter posted:

california has great weather for preserving old cars so it's not super rare to see one with a historical exemption plate driving down the street.

one car that must have been built in the 30's or something passed me by once and holy poo poo the fumes on that thing. i could smell it for a good 30 seconds afterward and you just knew whatever it was pumping out was bad

Talk to any collection of elderly chuds long enough and eventually they'll complain that car exhausts don't smell good like they used to lmao

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Patterson got his start actually by finally figuring out the age of the earth via uranium - lead ratios. Figuring out why most of his samples were massively lead contaminated was what led him to discover and then fight against leaded gasoline

it's hard to see with hindsight, but I'm not getting the unreal horror of a Soylent Green moment from this discovery; did he go agape and scream finding out that cars are burning depleted uranium?

Apr 7, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

He was from near Pittsburgh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
regarding boomers and their insatiable appetites for delicious, delicious lead:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1232738362613694467

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Talk to any collection of elderly chuds long enough and eventually they'll complain that car exhausts don't smell good like they used to lmao

lol, i was just thinking about this the other day since it's been about 20 years since i got my drivers license and definitely remember many cars back in the late 90s still ran rich enough to smell the fumes (and also at the gas station), both of which are mostly nonexistant now, which is great.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
https://twitter.com/hopeseekr/status/1232083556761047042?s=21

https://twitter.com/tarheel_texas/status/1232734413982707713?s=21

Apr 7, 2003

FMguru posted:

boomers and their insatiable appetites for delicious, delicious lead

That school bus yellow color is from lead(II) chromate and it used to be used to color candy lol

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That school bus yellow color is from lead(II) chromate and it used to be used to color candy lol

I always wondered what happened to yellow #1, #2 etc since you only see higher numbers these days.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
tungl

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Victory Position posted:

it's hard to see with hindsight, but I'm not getting the unreal horror of a Soylent Green moment from this discovery; did he go agape and scream finding out that cars are burning depleted uranium?

lobbying, advocacy campaigns, I'm not sure if there was a moment of terror as the realization dawned but leaded gas was basically as normalized and powerful a lobby as fracking is today so he definitely wasn't ambivalent about fighting it lol

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's no way the cult of trump keeps this poo poo show together through November

god bless the Corona virus, may it only kill lovely old people

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Republicans are starting to go full truther on Corona virus. Limbaugh out there telling his audience it's actually the common cold as he sits there dying, trying to bring the rest of the world with him. This authoritarian streak is going to make the outbreak worse than it would be otherwise, just like it did in China.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

cumshitter posted:

unless they somehow found a can of antique leaded gas from 50 years ago what you're smelling is NO2, which fucks your lungs not your brain, so at least there's that

AngryBooch posted:

Republicans are starting to go full truther on Corona virus. Limbaugh out there telling his audience it's actually the common cold as he sits there dying, trying to bring the rest of the world with him. This authoritarian streak is going to make the outbreak worse than it would be otherwise, just like it did in China.

Some boomers going antivax can hardly make it worse, it's already going to be maximally bad in the US because nobody who works for a living can afford to get tested for it and most people won't be able to take off from their jobs and stay home just cause they're probably pre-symptomatic.

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 20:28 on Feb 26, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

coronavirus truthers, you love to see it

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

what's taking falwell jr so long to call the corona virus another one of god's punishments for homosex that's like their family's most basic routine

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think Falwell Sr. would actually have been smart enough not to do that. With Falwell Jr., yeah, maybe it's just because his handlers figured out that he's terrible at public speaking.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

taqueso posted:

coronavirus truthers, you love to see it

when it was a bioweapon deployed by china it was bad, but now that trump incompetently destroyed the cdc leaving us susceptible to it, it actually is good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

taqueso posted:

I always wondered what happened to yellow #1, #2 etc since you only see higher numbers these days.

The same thing that happened to Mambos number 1 through 4.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
im a Mambo#4 truther AMA

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's a Malambo #1 and it's a mambo :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BraveUlysses posted:

im a Mambo#4 truther AMA

The other Mambos have been found.
https://twitter.com/jazzemu_/status/1202581625453850625

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FMguru posted:

regarding boomers and their insatiable appetites for delicious, delicious lead:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1232738362613694467

someone once pointed out that nowadays the most direct lead exposure is from lead ammo casings, and it definitely makes u wonder about the gun chuds