Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yikes my hands are small

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

me &
will fuller &
derrick henry &
dolfan

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

you know what they say about guys with small hands right?? :smugdog:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
So someone's gonna trade up to 3 soon

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1232664494201020417?s=20

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s already well underway

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Someone with a 303 area code is going to leak a deepfaked video of Tua spiking kittens at an animal shelter and then Miami will take him with pick 28.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

There's upwards of 10 teams in the top half of round 1 that could conceivably want to trade up for Tua, or in the Redskins instance just draft him outright if Rivera isn't committed to the Haskins Experience.

Whoever trades down is getting a ransom.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

so glad we won those games

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Should have drafted Ryan Findley, you'd have never had a lead all season.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

cpranger posted:

There is at least one defensive back who was in college but became academically ineligible and is now playing in the xfl but entering the draft.

Maybe it's the same guy who made me think of this whole thing in the first place?

e: yep. Kenny Robinson, former Mountaineer and current Battlehawk, not a corner like I thought but a safety.

https://twitter.com/krob2__/status/...-2020-nfl-draft

doesn't mean he'll be drafted of course, but I guess that answers my question for certain. It's funny this is happening way sooner than anyone would've really though. Apparently he decided to go to the XFL instead of entering the transfer portal (whatever that actually is)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

so glad we won those games

This but unironically

Nice to know that Tua might have a chance to succeed

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.

Play posted:

doesn't mean he'll be drafted of course, but I guess that answers my question for certain. It's funny this is happening way sooner than anyone would've really though. Apparently he decided to go to the XFL instead of entering the transfer portal (whatever that actually is)

The transfer portal is just a digital repository of all the NCAA players that want to change teams. Huge improvement over how the process worked previously where players had to ask for permission to transfer.

Robinson's situation is interesting because it brings attention to a lot of the things that athletes have to consider

1) Robinson was dismissed from the Mountaineers because of academic fraud. That means that he wouldn't have qualified for a transfer waiver if he did choose to stay in college, meaning that he would have to sit out a year before playing again at the FBS level.

2) He didn't play long enough to qualify for the NFL supplemental draft. To qualify, you need to be three years out of high school and in your last year of college eligibility.

So Robinson either had to wait a year hoping another college would take him (or possibly play at a lower level somewhere - you don't need a waiver to play immediately at FCS or lower if you have at least two years of eligibility left, which Robinson did) and push the NFL two years away or go try out for the XFL.

cpranger fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 26, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

cpranger posted:

The transfer portal is just a digital repository of all the NCAA players that want to change teams. Huge improvement over how the process worked previously where players had to ask for permission to transfer.

Robinson's situation is interesting because it brings attention to a lot of the things that athletes have to consider

1) Robinson was dismissed from the Mountaineers because of academic fraud. That means that he wouldn't have qualified for a transfer waiver if he did choose to stay in college, meaning that he would have to sit out a year before playing again at the D1 level.

2) He didn't play long enough to qualify for the NFL supplemental draft. To qualify, you need to be three years out of high school and in your last year of college eligibility.

So Robinson either had to wait a year hoping another college would take him (or possibly play at a lower level somewhere - you don't need a waiver to play immediately at DII or lower if you have at least two years of eligibility left, which Robinson did) and push the NFL two years away or go try out for the XFL.

Thanks for explaining that, I was trying to untangle it all but didn't quite get there. Definitely had the feeling that the it wasn't as simple between him choosing the transfer portal or the XFL because he wouldn't have played for a year if he transferred.

Well, it'll be an interesting case study anyways. I hope he actually does get drafted, just as proof of concept

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Kinlaw and Delpit both are "injured" and not testing. Chaisson also not testing but will run at his pro day.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’ve come around to the idea of Delpit, Hall, or Fulton at 26

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I have 8 inch hands and I’m 5’8”. I’m pretty sure I win/lose this contest.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

latinotwink1997 posted:

Mine are barely 8" and I'm 6'4".

Not sure what this proves, apart from the fact that I cannot throw a football

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Okay not feeling bad about my just under 9 inch hands now

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Mahomes has smaller hands than Alex Smith

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tua is going #2.

https://twitter.com/DNewtonespn/status/1232741522841460736

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I do like this new approach of bad teams throwing away highly drafted QB's after one season.

Makes a scarce resource even scarcer

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

I do like this new approach of bad teams throwing away highly drafted QB's after one season.

Makes a scarce resource even scarcer

I feel like Haskins showed a lot more than Rosen, too. Especially at the end of the year he had some really really good games.

If they actually do this, other teams will be interested in him I think, whereas Rosen has fallen off the face of the earth apparently

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

tarbrush posted:

Mine are barely 8" and I'm 6'4".

Not sure what this proves, apart from the fact that I cannot throw a football

8 inch hands and 6 feet even

I too cannot throw a football

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Lol of course they are

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
A smidge over 9.5", 5'10". Can't throw a football, can hold onto p heavy barbells without straps

edit - I'm also reminded of my favorite Tinder zinger of all time- I'm 5 foot and 4 inches and those are two different measurements ;)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

if my hands were a little bit more flexible i feel like i could juice another half inch out at least :(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Mahomes has smaller hands than Alex Smith

Yeah and Mark Sanchez was 10.5 and still couldn't prevent butt fumble.

Hand size doesn't matter. Of course that's easy for me to say because I can palm a basketball. barely. with only my left hand

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ron’s fishing for picks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Play posted:

I feel like Haskins showed a lot more than Rosen, too. Especially at the end of the year he had some really really good games.

If they actually do this, other teams will be interested in him I think, whereas Rosen has fallen off the face of the earth apparently

What's the earliest pick you think a team this year would trade for Haskins if Burrow and Tua go 1-2 Would the Dolphins do one of their later 1sts? Colts? Chargers?! Or would teams rather gamble on Herbert or Love or whoever? Feel like Haskins was pretty well regarded as a prospect last year, dunno if his rookie year helped or hurt his stock.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sourdough posted:

What's the earliest pick you think a team this year would trade for Haskins if Burrow and Tua go 1-2 Would the Dolphins do one of their later 1sts? Colts? Chargers?! Or would teams rather gamble on Herbert or Love or whoever? Feel like Haskins was pretty well regarded as a prospect last year, dunno if his rookie year helped or hurt his stock.

His completion percentage basically climbed all year and he finished off the season with two good games (qb rating of 143 and 121, MUCH higher than anything else you saw from him that year). You saw his arm strength, which is significant, and you also saw his rawness. A couple times a game he'd basically do something completely absurd that made no sense and ended in disaster. Given the situation though he didn't do that bad.

I think his rookie year helped his stock but not as much as it could have. Definitely teams saw good things and bad things, but given his reputation beforehand I think it's still an increase.

Honestly in that type of situation it's kind of a buyer's market, which is how the Dolphins only gave up a third rounder for a player drafted in the first round the previous year. I'd say late 1st if you're really convinced, otherwise a 2nd or even 3rd rounder would be appropriate. But then there's the question of whether Washington would even want to do that, he might be more valuable to simply hang on to as competition/backup or trade bait for when some team gets totally desperate for a starting QB.

Overall though, I think Washington will end up keeping him. Due diligence doesn't mean that they're totally done with him, and this doesn't really have the feel of the Rosen situation, especially since they won't get Burrow, even at number 2 overall. Kyler Murray was simply too exciting to pass up, and Rosen was unmitigated garbage unlike Haskins who did have some bright spots

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As much as I want Joe I would lol so hard if Joe took Haskins' job.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Eifert Posting posted:

As much as I want Joe I would lol so hard if Joe took Haskins' job.

Why?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If miami walked out of the draft with Haskins for #24 I’m pretty happy tbh

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Play posted:

Overall though, I think Washington will end up keeping him.

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to happen at all, but feels like Haskins should cost significantly more than Rosen did, as you say.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just measured my hands, only a hair under 10 inches.

I guess the NFL is never gonna call now. :smith:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cuz Haskins beat out Burrow at Ohio State.

Burrow is too cool for the DC racistnames, though.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

latinotwink1997 posted:

7 1/4 :smug:...... :(

Of course I am a tiny man

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

MakaVillian posted:

7 1/4 :smug:...... :(

Of course I am a tiny man

were you a premie like me? but even smaller. I'll take care of you

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cavauro posted:

were you a premie like me? but even smaller. I'll take care of you

that's a new stat that should be recorded for prospects: size at birth. Then you can see if they're a real big boy or just faking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Birth weight is a sore subject because I was born an ounce short of ten pounds and I feel I was denied something special