Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The big tip is don't spend rare/mythic wildcards improving the starter decks - if you want a top-tier deck, you're better off making do with the cards you open, and saving your wildcards until you can put something good together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VictualSquid posted:

While googling that, I stumbled on the official howto post for the tutorial, and it gave me 18 free boosters. Shouldn't that sort of thing be in the OP, or are 18 boosters worth a lot less then they seem?

Got a link to that?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

The Clowner posted:

Got a link to that?
It was this one:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-gathering-arena-starter-guide-2020-01-17

I also found some people talking about a twitch prime deck, but it is either gone or not available in my region.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

VictualSquid posted:

It was this one:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-gathering-arena-starter-guide-2020-01-17

I also found some people talking about a twitch prime deck, but it is either gone or not available in my region.

Unfortunately the Twitch Prime offer expired two weeks ago.

18 packs aren't nothing, the codes aren't included in the OP because it's not a good OP.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
This code list has worked well for me: https://cardgamebase.com/mtg-arena-codes/

The codes LevelUp and BroughtBack worked a couple of weeks ago, which I've not personally seen elsewhere.

There's likely to be a code for the next set too, for 3 packs, probably PlayIkoria.

Any sign of Ikoria spoilers yet? Probably still a little early, but IIRC Theros ones were dropping well before this.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

This code list has worked well for me: https://cardgamebase.com/mtg-arena-codes/

The codes LevelUp and BroughtBack worked a couple of weeks ago, which I've not personally seen elsewhere.

There's likely to be a code for the next set too, for 3 packs, probably PlayIkoria.

Any sign of Ikoria spoilers yet? Probably still a little early, but IIRC Theros ones were dropping well before this.

Spoilers don't drop until 1-2 weeks before the sets release and Ikoria is almost 2 full months away

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Spoilers started early December for Theros, which was around 5 to 6 weeks out? But I guess Christmas made them earlier.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Ikoria spoilers start 3/26

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

thespaceinvader posted:

Spoilers started early December for Theros, which was around 5 to 6 weeks out? But I guess Christmas made them earlier.

We also got Theros spoilers early since some guy found packs for sale in December or something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah sometimes the set leaks because someone stole some packs from the factory.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I will say this Standard seems pretty stale right now, the problem with not having any truly broken cards means that there isn’t any meaningful meta shifts or adaptations.

We’ve got RDW, Fires, Reclamation, and then the clowns trying to make Grixis and Sultai work no matter what forever lol

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's too bad monoblack or Dance Manse never really took off. They're really fun decks when they actually work.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

I will say this Standard seems pretty stale right now, the problem with not having any truly broken cards means that there isn’t any meaningful meta shifts or adaptations.

We’ve got RDW, Fires, Reclamation, and then the clowns trying to make Grixis and Sultai work no matter what forever lol

Temur clover won that dreamhack tournament last weekend, UW control won worlds the weekend before, mengucci has been streaming a sultai ramp list that looks promising.

In short, Burnt Rulb

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They both took off, they also just got immediately outclassed by larger mid-range decks and stronger permission control decks.

You can’t be a Middle-of-the-Road deck in Standard. You have to push the limits of what your archetype is capable of to compete.

Lone Goat posted:

In short, Burnt Rulb

https://twitter.com/mengu09/status/1232662197324701701?s=21

Yes indeed this deck seems very promising with its unwinnable match up vs the most popular deck.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 26, 2020

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

It's too bad monoblack or Dance Manse never really took off. They're really fun decks when they actually work.

Mono-Black Gary completely dominated Standard during the original Theros block, so they probably didn't want that to happen again.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

They both took off, they also just got immediately outclassed by larger mid-range decks and stronger permission control decks.
Sounds like the opposite of stale then?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Sounds like the opposite of stale then?

No, lots of seemingly viable decks getting crushed into the 3 most basic archetypes of 1 Aggro deck, 1 Control deck, and 1 Midrange deck seems stale to me.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Monoblack took off very strongly, then it got shot down.

Turns out when your big payoff isn't going off til turn 5, at the very earliest (because you're likely not running ramp, with the sole possible exception of Priest of Forgotten Gods), and even then is typically only around 10 drain unless you got a perfect draw right up to turn 5, AND your opponent didn't have any interaction at all to take out your key components... that just isn't quick enough or big enough.

It shot me right up to high Diamond at the beginning of the set, but it's been getting progressively worse since. I've been trying it out in Bo3 a bit, but it's just not got quite enough legs or means to defend itself IME.

Manse Dance is super fun, but again, struggles with the early game against red (can stabilise with a good draw, but red can go over AND around things like Birth of Meletis at the same time atm), and the mid/long game against ramp/control/rec, because in the end, even if you get the payoff to pay off, a bunch of 4/4s, some draw, and some drain, just... isn't all that impressive compared to 'you die now lol' or 'you can't do anything if the game gets past turn 4'.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

"Mutate" is a keyword ability being introduced in Ikoria. It's referenced in the silver-bordered Surgeon General Commander card in the Unsanctioned set, and MaRo and others have confirmed it's an Ikoria tease.

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

ex post facho posted:

calix dance is pretty fun, and has a ~50%ish rate in bo1 against RDW. haven't really played it in bo3 but i feel like it has a lot of good answers once it survives to t4 or so.

Got a list?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

No, lots of seemingly viable decks getting crushed into the 3 most basic archetypes of 1 Aggro deck, 1 Control deck, and 1 Midrange deck seems stale to me.

Sounds like standard

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Looney Tunes theme starts playing*

That's Standard, Folks!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ive started auto conceding to blue in brawl. it's never fun to play against and having your commander countered multiple times feels insanely bad

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

don't cast your commander into open blue mana?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
nah they can have the win and ill move on with my life

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You could always play a RG commander (I like Nikya, not T1 but competitive vs most things that aren't Golos) and run Rhythm of the Wild and that green enchantment creature from Theros that makes your creatures uncounterable and laugh as they try to counter your poo poo anyway or just snap concede

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Klothys and Domri are very good at loving up Golos players.

Relin posted:

ive started auto conceding to blue in brawl. it's never fun to play against and having your commander countered multiple times feels insanely bad
Do whatever the gently caress you feel like in the Golos-dome. You're not playing for prizes, you're playing for fun.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Temur Adventures is so much fun, thanks to those who posted the decklist. There are lots of interesting choices to make each turn. It's a shame that it's prohibitively expensive to build in paper, hopefully the new Challenger decks push Brazen Borrowers way way down.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Somberbrero posted:

Temur Adventures is so much fun, thanks to those who posted the decklist. There are lots of interesting choices to make each turn. It's a shame that it's prohibitively expensive to build in paper, hopefully the new Challenger decks push Brazen Borrowers way way down.

I don't play paper but on some deckshare websites (I can't recall which) there are options to just rent the decks. If I ever went to an in-person tournament I'd just rent one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Somberbrero posted:

it also seems passable - unflavored, but passable - against RDW

source: am RDW

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is there an automatic way to exchange your deck's lands into all the available variants of that land? So that all of my lands look different for that strange nostalgia.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

VictualSquid posted:

Is there an automatic way to exchange your deck's lands into all the available variants of that land? So that all of my lands look different for that strange nostalgia.

If you click the "lands" button at the top of the deckbuilder, you can pick exactly which basic lands you want to add.

There are way too many for a single deck to have all the available variants, just pick the ones you like best.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I really want ashiok's erasure to be playable but, it never seems to work out :negative:.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ruckby posted:

Got a list?

sure

calix dance

3 The Birth of Meletis (THB) 5
3 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
2 Banishing Light (THB) 4
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
3 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
1 Kiora Bests the Sea God (THB) 52
2 Treacherous Blessing (THB) 117
2 Elspeth Conquers Death (THB) 13
2 Elspeth's Nightmare (THB) 91

2 Archon of Sun's Grace (THB) 3
1 Dream Trawler (THB) 214

1 Heliod's Intervention (THB) 19
3 Shatter the Sky (THB) 37
2 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186

2 Calix, Destiny's Hand (THB) 211
2 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221

1 Temple of Plenty (THB) 248
1 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
2 Swamp (ELD) 261
1 Island (ELD) 257
4 Plains (ELD) 253
3 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
3 Scoured Barrens (M20) 251
2 Tranquil Cove (M20) 259
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
2 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
2 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Sabotaging your mana base just to include G for Calix sounds like a nightmare.

Regular Esper Dance has been pretty successful against red for me. Almost everything in the deck stalls for time and slows down the Steamkin/Anax/Embercleave train long enough to start putting the board on lockdown. You might have to aggressively suicide Teferis to do it but I've had good results.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Azuth0667 posted:

I really want ashiok's erasure to be playable but, it never seems to work out :negative:.

In historic you can use it and ixalans binding to be a real bastard motherfuvker

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Imagine playing two colours in your room foretold deck

This post made by Kaya's wrath

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
K so Embercleave is really good wow

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

K so Embercleave is really good wow

Honestly probably the best red card printed in the last 4 years and probably the best Equipment ever printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly probably the best red card printed in the last 4 years

Lmao not even top 5