Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Is there somewhere with a list of all the ships and what their status is? Mostly I’m wondering what the total number of models of ships sold vs the number of ships present in the game is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
On the subject of space games, I just picked up Homeworld Remastered. I can't believe I missed this for over two decades. What the gently caress is it with older games having so much cool poo poo going on? This isn't rose-colored glasses, either - my Steam library, and all other libraries, are filled with games from all over the map, including new poo poo. I grab this thing and it's immediately grabbing me with tons of story, systems to learn, and it's obvious I'm going to get my rear end handed to me handily. Yet I feel compelled to rise to the challenge.

It seems these kinds of games are now relegated to indie devs, and AAA studios are going after tried and true formulas, the same disease Hollywood suffers from. Wait a minute, am I suggesting that following a Hollywood approach results in bad games? That can't be right...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

On the subject of space games, I just picked up Homeworld Remastered. I can't believe I missed this for over two decades. What the gently caress is it with older games having so much cool poo poo going on? This isn't rose-colored glasses, either - my Steam library, and all other libraries, are filled with games from all over the map, including new poo poo. I grab this thing and it's immediately grabbing me with tons of story, systems to learn, and it's obvious I'm going to get my rear end handed to me handily. Yet I feel compelled to rise to the challenge.

It seems these kinds of games are now relegated to indie devs, and AAA studios are going after tried and true formulas, the same disease Hollywood suffers from. Wait a minute, am I suggesting that following a Hollywood approach results in bad games? That can't be right...

Big games were much cheaper to produce, so more risks could be taken, which resulted in cool poo poo. That's about it.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Scruffpuff posted:

The original Homeworld 1 plays better. Gearbox hosed it by just porting new models into the Homeworld 2 engine. But enjoy the game! :)

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

No,talk about the stimpire or blue cheese tacos or the tickler in black.

Okay, so honestly I have to say that I can see the case for yogurt and blue cheese dressing on tacos.

I mean if you look at a lot of "cheese flavored" products they use blue cheese as one of their components, because even though it's a really strong flavor, it's a kinda condensed cheese flavor. On the other side, sour cream is a pretty commonplace taco dressing, and sour cream is basically cream yogurt that has been sterilized part way through its maturation.

As such, I think... Whoever it was who advocated blue cheese and yogurt dressing on tacos has a point. It's kinda halfway measure between actual sour cream and actual cheese as topping for tacos. I don't think it'd be as good as either sour cream or cheese, but it would probably still fulfill the same culinary uses.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That take is so bad I almost wish we could go back to slur chat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

-Visible Minority
-Shaved
-Snoopy Cap
-Dutch Angle

Yup, Chris and Sandy are still working the marketing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also for such a high fidelity game its loving criminal that, at a glance, I can tell the dude's knee pad isn't loving positioned correctly.

You god damned dorks given CIG money and claiming they are the best. Stop being so stupid!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Viscous Soda posted:

As such, I think... Whoever it was who advocated blue cheese and yogurt dressing on tacos has a point. It's kinda halfway measure between actual sour cream and actual cheese as topping for tacos. I don't think it'd be as good as either sour cream or cheese, but it would probably still fulfill the same culinary uses.

Dear diary, today a person without taste buds somehow placed blue cheese as something in between sour cream and actual cheese... as a topping for tacos.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

Never played the remastered version but played the originals. Great games.

Hmm.. now you've got me hankering for a bit of Homeworld.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah it seems likely to me the Calders are co-conspirators, not victims. It probably doesn't matter to them if the money comes from SQ42 or PU ships. And lol there's no way the money they put in was for SQ42 marketing, that was an obvious lie

but chris would never lie to us

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bumble He posted:

but chris would never lie to us

One thing i've never figured out is whether Chris lies to himself.

In other words, does he truly believe in the lies he tells or he is fully aware he is lying.

Take for example when he said SQ42 would be out that year with SC later the same year, in 2014-2015. Did he truly believe it? Was he so convinced it was going to happen? Perhaps the devs were telling him it would be, beause nobody wanted to say "No" to the boss. Or did he know full well the game was still years away?

Its a toss up really. I mean, its clear the guy has ego issues, that he thinks he is the second coming of Garriot. But just how far up his own rear end is he?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Looking around I saw something from a year or so ago that said 69 flyable ships out of 130 or so. Is this about right? Were all 130 on sale for real money at some point?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"I must not listen to FUD.
FUD is the hope-killer.
FUD is the little-death that brings total desperation.
I will face the FUD.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the FUD has gone there will be nothing. Only JPGs will remain."

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think that chris believes in his own fairy tale stories

and i think he likes to be surrounded by people who assure him that he is a genius

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 27, 2020

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Blue cheese in particular, but all cheese in general, makes me feel clammy when I eat it. Not sick, just like... cheese sweats.

https://youtu.be/5F3ZjVQKhJE

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

When the results of negligence are indistinguishable from the results of malice does it really matter what the motive was?

Buy an Idris.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bumble He posted:

i think that chris believes in his own fairy tale stories

and i think he likes to be surrounded by people who assure him that he is a genius

Well, he is on record as saying he doesn't like people who tell him something can't be done. I can imagine that makes for some fun meetings for the devs, being faced with risking CR's ire by telling him his ideas won't work or just agreeing to everything and then trying to figure out who or what to blame in order to not get fired when things don't work.

I can imagine there is a lot of blame shifting going on inside CIG.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EmesiS posted:

When the results of negligence are indistinguishable from the results of malice does it really matter what the motive was?

Buy an Idris.

Can i pledge for an Idris out of spite?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

GIVE ME CONTEXT, PEOPLE. WHAT DO THESE NUMBERS MEAN IN CONTRAST TO, WELL, EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
13% of time spent in mining ships is spent actually mining.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

ARGO MOLE

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

GIVE ME CONTEXT, PEOPLE. WHAT DO THESE NUMBERS MEAN IN CONTRAST TO, WELL, EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING?

Well, if Business Insider is to be believed and there are 2.2 million backers, and those backers have spent a grand total of 33 thousand hours mining, that means that... let me start the subsumption quanta system, this needs some serious calculations. So um, 33,000.00 / 2,200,000.00... or is it 33.000,000 / 2.200.200,000? This is hard. I think it means that backers have spent, on average, a minute or so mining. Great success.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It also means that random rocks are way more deadly than capital ships, which haven't managed a single kill yet.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Those numbers feel super low for a game with 2 million accounts created players

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be fair it's from December 21st 2019 until February 3rd 2020.

Still, I imagine they're being farily generous with how they count time spent "mining".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There are approx 1000 hours between Dec 21th and Feb 3rd. A dedicated poopsocker can easily spend 2/3s of a day mining, therefore a mere 50 or so pc bang-level sockers could account for all that mining.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
CIG has around 500 employees, which should be working 8 hours a day, for a total of 4,000 man-hours daily. So, even if they took a 2 week xmas vacation and only work during the weekdays that means that the employees of CIG spent around 80,000 man hours developing the game in the period where backers spent 33,000 hours mining. A 2-to-1 development-to-mining ratio.

Impressive.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

I was told there was some slurring in here?

You misheard, it was slurry

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

The Super-Id posted:

Looking around I saw something from a year or so ago that said 69 flyable ships out of 130 or so. Is this about right? Were all 130 on sale for real money at some point?

They've all been on sale at some point afaik.

Here are some recent citizen images on 'flyables'

Ship Production 22 feb 2020

Ship concepts waiting - December 29th 2019

Worth noting as always that plenty of the 'flyables' aren't actually finished (don't have their gameplay / unique functions working etc). As a rule of thumb the bigger / more complex the ship + gameplay, the less likely it is to be complete.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sarsapariller posted:

But it's okay, they fixed a lot of stuff!

Fixed an issue that would cause players wallets to not persist

Hell, I bet that one was a red ball.

ClownBobo
Jan 3, 2020

vIHbe'chugh, vaj Huch law' Sovbe'lu'

Bootcha posted:

Potemkin Institute of Industrial Arts graduating class of 2949 is currently enjoying great success.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
send help

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Plenty of complete ships are just recolors or slight variations on already completed ships.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Well, if you love games then you probably know enough to stay the gently caress away from Store Citizen

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

Firesprite

A company with Playstation expertise, you say! And who is that I see among the founders?

Different CR: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/chris-roberts-07a8a913

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agony Aunt posted:

"I must not listen to FUD.
FUD is the hope-killer.
FUD is the little-death that brings total desperation.
I will face the FUD.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the FUD has gone there will be nothing. Only JPGs will remain."

:golfclap:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

:eyepop: Squadron 42, developed by Chris Roberts

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bootcha posted:

StuartGT from ED forums posted:

Analysis of Mining stats:
- 21st Dec 2019 to 3rd Feb 2020 = 44 days = 1,056 hours
- 252,794 hours spent aboard mining ships
- Aboard mining ships: 252794 ÷ 1056 = ~240 players per hour
- 33,486 hours spent mining
- Spent mining: 33486 ÷ 1056 = ~32 players per hour
- 2,216 total deaths
- Deaths: 2216 ÷ 1056 = ~2 players per hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugganovich