Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey, look at this dumbass car. 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Edition.

This owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Someone on r/lego posted this as part of their x-ray machine practice.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's awesome, did he scan more?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I made a table lamp.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

sigher posted:

That's awesome, did he scan more?

Sadly not.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's like there's a second, smaller Slave I inside the main one

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

duz posted:

Someone on r/lego posted this as part of their x-ray machine practice.

I was really worried I'd stumbled into the Tales From EMTs thread for a moment there.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Lizard Combatant posted:

I was really worried I'd stumbled into the Tales From EMTs thread for a moment there.

Or the Shroud of Turin, or should I say Shroud of Lepin

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lizard Combatant posted:

Lol

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

The_Doctor posted:

They already made Mr Bean’s car years ago. It was the Mini Cooper. This is Lupin III’s car.

Now I'm interested in the kit. But the harder part is finding the minifigs for the crew.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Revolver Bunker posted:

Now I'm interested in the kit. But the harder part is finding the minifigs for the crew.

The Fiat won’t be minifig scale though. :(

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Taking the “build in the bag” challenge to the next level.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Groetgaffel posted:

I made a table lamp.

This owns! I love it... how’d you do the lighting?

On an unrelated topic... does anyone know what kind of breaks or pre-planning they’re getting with the Lego Masters show? Just started watching it and feeling super bad that I can’t even complete a Modular in the time they build an entire loving store centerpiece display

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
If it's anything like Lego Masters Australia (of which I know one of the contestants), there's not much pre-planning before the challenges begin, but the 15 hours or whatever is broken up over three days so they have heaps of time between building sessions to think and talk about things.

You shouldn't feel bad at all, some people just build really fast and some really slow. There's also the fact that MOC building is a skill, and like any other skill the more you do it the better and faster you get.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You’d probably be surprised at how much you could build in that time. They way they are building for the most part isn’t exactly meticulous.

Like, I build a lot of smaller MOC stuff and I might take 6 hours or more, sometimes way more, building some relatively small thing. But building it initially usually takes 20 minutes and it’s together and looking all right. The other 5+ hours are spent swapping parts out, searching for parts and agonizing over little details until I think it’s perfect. You can get a lot done if you aren’t sweating every little detail.

Not that I’m saying what they’ve made isn’t impressive, or even that I could pull it off myself, but they aren’t exactly building to perfection they are building to the challenge. I’m sure you could throw a big rear end LEGO mountain or castle together in an hour if you were just going for a general idea and had all the parts right there, instead of something you want to get the perfect close up photos of, which is how I think most people build.

Even building a modular from instructions is pretty labor intensive with how detailed they are. There’s been a lot of stuff on the show that mostly amounts to a big stack of bricks.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 27, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

It's a Chrysler-branded muscle car, available only through the Chrysler dealers network. It was a Hurst collaboration, except Hurst never did any of the mechanical upgrades they were initially going to - oil pans, shifters, etc. They did bodywork and paint only. Chrysler expected Hurst to promote it, and Hurst expected Chrysler to promote it, so few even knew it existed. It had a big engine and poo poo but it was about 19 feet long and over 2 tons so lol.

At least it looks cool. Also, super plush interior. Very comfortable.

It was pretty fun figuring out the hood bulge, the overhanging rear fenders, and the integrated spoiler. I actually really enjoyed this one.

This is great, all your cars are great.

I'd like to try building my own car, and while I'm ok with details and getting the lines of a vehicle I'm terrible at the actual structure.

Do you have a standard chassis design you usually start with?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

If it's anything like Lego Masters Australia (of which I know one of the contestants),

Which one?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

OSU_Matthew posted:

This owns! I love it... how’d you do the lighting?
I bought this light kit.

It's not exactly cheap, but it looks amazing, and there's a shitload of LEDs in it.
All of the lights except the lightpoles cycle colours.

My cellphone photo really doesn't do it justice, but there's a video on the store page. There's a link to the installation instructions there as well.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Carbohydrates posted:

It's a Chrysler-branded muscle car, available only through the Chrysler dealers network. It was a Hurst collaboration, except Hurst never did any of the mechanical upgrades they were initially going to - oil pans, shifters, etc. They did bodywork and paint only. Chrysler expected Hurst to promote it, and Hurst expected Chrysler to promote it, so few even knew it existed. It had a big engine and poo poo but it was about 19 feet long and over 2 tons so lol.

At least it looks cool. Also, super plush interior. Very comfortable.

It was pretty fun figuring out the hood bulge, the overhanging rear fenders, and the integrated spoiler. I actually really enjoyed this one.

I love that car, and it would go perfectly next to the speed champions charger that I have, but it has the same issue I have with most of the speed champion cars, and that's that it isn't truly minifig scale, in that cars don't have center cockpits for 1 driver. With that said, it looks fantastic and I love the spoiler.

I just built the GTR last night, and I really like how wide it is. To have the charger be that wide (and still be scale) it would have to be about 4" longer than it is now. I get why they do them that way, but I'd like the bigger cars. I think the only ones that don't have the center cockpit thing going are the GTR and the Audi.
I'm curious as to how the fast and furious cars are going to look.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 27, 2020

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

This is great, all your cars are great.

I'd like to try building my own car, and while I'm ok with details and getting the lines of a vehicle I'm terrible at the actual structure.

Do you have a standard chassis design you usually start with?
The chassis is usually the very last thing I do. The lines and details are way more important, and I usually shoehorn in a chassis once I have the visuals down. Almost all of my cars end up using 30029 as their core. My cars tend to be really low to the ground, especially compared to official LEGO SC sets, so this piece is critical because it allows you to get a fig lower than a regular plate can. It also forms a solid foundation and takes up little vertical space, making it very easy to attach brackets and SNOT bricks too. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, though - the Fairlane Thunderbolt & Gasser, Grand Cherokee, Chevy C10, Lancia Stratos, and (not posted yet) Chevy Nova all have custom chassis solutions because the piece I usually use doesn't fit.

My process for building (completely digital, by the way) is: 1) figure out how to build the single most difficult or iconic detail of the car, which is usually the front/rear fascia or hood. If I can't do this, I scrap the whole idea. 2) Roughly shape the areas around it. 3) Figure out, in a vague sense, how to connect these bits. 4) Cabin and interior. 5) Fill in the core, usually starting with 30029, and connect it all together. 6) Make instructions to reveal structural issues and weak connections; tweak the build accordingly.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I love that car, and it would go perfectly next to the speed champions charger that I have, but it has the same issue I have with most of the speed champion cars, and that's that it isn't truly minifig scale, in that cars don't have center cockpits for 1 driver. With that said, it looks fantastic and I love the spoiler.

I just built the GTR last night, and I really like how wide it is. To have the charger be that wide (and still be scale) it would have to be about 4" longer than it is now. I get why they do them that way, but I'd like the bigger cars. I think the only ones that don't have the center cockpit thing going are the GTR and the Audi.
I'm curious as to how the fast and furious cars are going to look.
Thank you! No car is truly minifig scale, except some of the 4w and 5w builders that don't care that their cars can't actually fit a minifig. Actually, take that a step further: when you say minifig scale, are we talking about a minifig's height or width? Because a minifig isn't even to scale with a person. So given these compromises inherent to the very idea of building LEGO cars, I'm fine with the classic conceit of "centered cabin, one fig" to make these cars look good on the roads of a LEGO city.

TBH I actually really like the 8-wide builds too, but they are just so honkin' huge that they don't look good in a City context, which ultimately ended up being important to me once I built a dealership that required some sort of consistent displayability. Also, all of the new 8-wide cars except the Jaguar Formula E fit two minifigs.

The Fast and the Furious license is, to the best of my knowledge, only for a Technic set at the moment.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Carbohydrates posted:

Thank you! No car is truly minifig scale, except some of the 4w and 5w builders that don't care that their cars can't actually fit a minifig. Actually, take that a step further: when you say minifig scale, are we talking about a minifig's height or width? Because a minifig isn't even to scale with a person. So given these compromises inherent to the very idea of building LEGO cars, I'm fine with the classic conceit of "centered cabin, one fig" to make these cars look good on the roads of a LEGO city.

TBH I actually really like the 8-wide builds too, but they are just so honkin' huge that they don't look good in a City context, which ultimately ended up being important to me once I built a dealership that required some sort of consistent displayability. Also, all of the new 8-wide cars except the Jaguar Formula E fit two minifigs.

The Fast and the Furious license is, to the best of my knowledge, only for a Technic set at the moment.

Your comments about minfig scale are dead on. With the height of the GTR, the little lego guy scales out to about 4' tall, so the GTR pretty much doesn't fit that bill. When I display my cars, I rarely put the lego fig in the car, they pretty much hang out next to it holding their wrench and helmet.

I like the 8 wide scale because I guess it's a more realistic version of the car. I also don't have any sort of city setup, so the scale vs. any of the buildings doesn't really bother me either. I also forgot you were the one who did the used car lot, I absolutely love that.

What other 8 wide sets are there? On the Lego site, the only ones I saw were the GTR and the Audi rally car.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Ferrari F8, the new Lambo set with 2 cars, the new Jaguar set with 2 cars.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

The chassis is usually the very last thing I do. The lines and details are way more important, and I usually shoehorn in a chassis once I have the visuals down. Almost all of my cars end up using 30029 as their core. My cars tend to be really low to the ground, especially compared to official LEGO SC sets, so this piece is critical because it allows you to get a fig lower than a regular plate can. It also forms a solid foundation and takes up little vertical space, making it very easy to attach brackets and SNOT bricks too. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, though - the Fairlane Thunderbolt & Gasser, Grand Cherokee, Chevy C10, Lancia Stratos, and (not posted yet) Chevy Nova all have custom chassis solutions because the piece I usually use doesn't fit.

My process for building (completely digital, by the way) is: 1) figure out how to build the single most difficult or iconic detail of the car, which is usually the front/rear fascia or hood. If I can't do this, I scrap the whole idea. 2) Roughly shape the areas around it. 3) Figure out, in a vague sense, how to connect these bits. 4) Cabin and interior. 5) Fill in the core, usually starting with 30029, and connect it all together. 6) Make instructions to reveal structural issues and weak connections; tweak the build accordingly.

Hey thanks for this. Unfortunately it's a little disheartening since that's what I try to do anyway but with mixed results.

The scale I've been most happy with is 7 wide, but that's a bit of a nightmare as you probably know. I don't know why I haven't been using 30029 though. Classic blunder.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey thanks for this. Unfortunately it's a little disheartening since that's what I try to do anyway but with mixed results.

The scale I've been most happy with is 7 wide, but that's a bit of a nightmare as you probably know. I don't know why I haven't been using 30029 though. Classic blunder.
Here, I don't know if you'll get any value out of this, but here's some WIP shots from parts of my process.

1. Super early on. This is about 30 minutes of work, usually just proofing a concept like the use of those tiny arches as wheelwells here. It almost always starts with a signature element like this. I ended up abandoning this build.

2. Starting to take shape. This is a few hours of work deep. I've figured out how I'm going to do some of the tricky bits. This is where I need to step away from it for a while and come back with some fresh eyes so I can figure out what's working and what's not, adjust proportions, etc.

3. & 4. Heavily invested. This is the process of actually attaching together all of the ideas and making it all work. Both of these are pretty much done at this point, so I've dropped chassis pieces in and started connecting things, though I'm still dialing a bit of bodywork and proportioning at this point. "Easy" parts like the rear window and deck often come last for me, so their omission doesn't mean much here. The red Firebird got scrapped at this point, though many of its design elements were recycled into my GTO. The Cyclone had its sides reshaped a little, but is otherwise pretty much done here. It's about 2 hours from completion in this shot.

edit: here, have this too. I made instructions for the Fairlane Gasser, but I'm not gonna put 'em on Rebrickable since I already have instructions for the regular Fairlane there, sooo whatever.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 27, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Here, I don't know if you'll get any value out of this, but here's some WIP shots from parts of my process.

1. Super early on. This is about 30 minutes of work, usually just proofing a concept like the use of those tiny arches as wheelwells here. It almost always starts with a signature element like this. I ended up abandoning this build.

2. Starting to take shape. This is a few hours of work deep. I've figured out how I'm going to do some of the tricky bits. This is where I need to step away from it for a while and come back with some fresh eyes so I can figure out what's working and what's not, adjust proportions, etc.

3. & 4. Heavily invested. This is the process of actually attaching together all of the ideas and making it all work. Both of these are pretty much done at this point, so I've dropped chassis pieces in and started connecting things, though I'm still dialing a bit of bodywork and proportioning at this point. "Easy" parts like the rear window and deck often come last for me, so their omission doesn't mean much here. The red Firebird got scrapped at this point, though many of its design elements were recycled into my GTO. The Cyclone had its sides reshaped a little, but is otherwise pretty much done here. It's about 2 hours from completion in this shot.

Awesome!

They still haven't done those wheel arches in light grey yet have they? That's also what's holding me back at the moment. No idea why that colour isn't available.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Awesome!

They still haven't done those wheel arches in light grey yet have they? That's also what's holding me back at the moment. No idea why that colour isn't available.
Yeah. The only decent mudguard in light bluish gray is the OG Speed Champions one, which is so much worse than the new one or the low profile City one for most applications that I don't even want to use it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It amuses me how the hardest thing to do well in lego is arches.. at any scale. Even the creator expert cars tend to fudge them badly.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah. The only decent mudguard in light bluish gray is the OG Speed Champions one, which is so much worse than the new one or the low profile City one for most applications that I don't even want to use it.

Major bummer. I can't see anyway to do it without them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

It amuses me how the hardest thing to do well in lego is arches.. at any scale. Even the creator expert cars tend to fudge them badly.

Caterham did them very well.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
My sincerest apologies for you guys who Just Aren't Into Cars, but February has been an incredibly productive month for me. I've got two more for you, and then I'm all caught up on my backlog, I promise.

First, a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T.

I was inspired by two things: one, a buddy of mine saying that an early WIP of a Chevy Nova (below) looked more like an old Challenger to him, and two, a guy on Rebrickable who recolored his Challenger SRT Demon from 75893 in purple. Well hell, why not build a classic purple Challenger?

Usually we use the old binoculars piece when we need side-by-side double headlights in a small car build, but I wanted to try something different. This method allows for larger headlights and totally different attachment points, so I'm quite pleased with the results. The other little build tech here that I'm quite proud of is the use of two 2 x 2 flags in light gray to fill a 1/2 plate gap between the taillights and the bumper, which also serves to hide some unsightly antistuds there.

Second, this is a 1969 Chevy Nova SS and uh, poo poo dudes, this is one of my favorite cars I've done to date. Novas have been done a billion times in LEGO but I thought I had some new ideas to bring to the table, and I am just really happy with the shaping and curves on this guy.

Thanks to the new 2020 set 60257 Service Station, we now get the City wheel fenders in dark blue, which turned out to be a godsend because, the way I built it, this car can ONLY be made in dark blue, oddly enough. At least until this piece comes in black. There's some unusual techniques that make this one of my most technically difficult MOCs to date IMO, but you can't really tell how complex it is inside because of how smooth it looks, which makes me happy. The one thing I will mention specifically is that the entire cabin is sunk by 1/2 a plate in height to streamline it, which wreaked havoc on the interior.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

All of your MOC cars are amazing. Keep posting them as you keep making them.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

My sincerest apologies for you guys who Just Aren't Into Cars, but February has been an incredibly productive month for me. I've got two more for you, and then I'm all caught up on my backlog, I promise.

First, a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T.

I was inspired by two things: one, a buddy of mine saying that an early WIP of a Chevy Nova (below) looked more like an old Challenger to him, and two, a guy on Rebrickable who recolored his Challenger SRT Demon from 75893 in purple. Well hell, why not build a classic purple Challenger?

Usually we use the old binoculars piece when we need side-by-side double headlights in a small car build, but I wanted to try something different. This method allows for larger headlights and totally different attachment points, so I'm quite pleased with the results. The other little build tech here that I'm quite proud of is the use of two 2 x 2 flags in light gray to fill a 1/2 plate gap between the taillights and the bumper, which also serves to hide some unsightly antistuds there.

Second, this is a 1969 Chevy Nova SS and uh, poo poo dudes, this is one of my favorite cars I've done to date. Novas have been done a billion times in LEGO but I thought I had some new ideas to bring to the table, and I am just really happy with the shaping and curves on this guy.

Thanks to the new 2020 set 60257 Service Station, we now get the City wheel fenders in dark blue, which turned out to be a godsend because, the way I built it, this car can ONLY be made in dark blue, oddly enough. At least until this piece comes in black. There's some unusual techniques that make this one of my most technically difficult MOCs to date IMO, but you can't really tell how complex it is inside because of how smooth it looks, which makes me happy. The one thing I will mention specifically is that the entire cabin is sunk by 1/2 a plate in height to streamline it, which wreaked havoc on the interior.

No these are great, don't stop.

Huh... Maybe you should just make my car for me since you're on the right theme. How do you feel about unloved step children of classic car pedigrees? You will likely receive no praise or recognition from anyone but me.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 27, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That Nova looks great. I'll fight anyone who complains about the car mocs.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

No these are great, don't stop.

Huh... Maybe you should just make my car for me since you're on the right theme. How do you feel about unloved step children of classic car pedigrees? You will likely receive no praise or recognition from anyone but me.
Whatcha working on? I don't just wanna make your thing, but maybe I can help!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The front end on that Nova looks so good, holy poo poo. Please never stop posting these car MOCs :allears:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I don't care about cars but I love seeing LEGO done really well so keep on truckin

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

1958 Edsel Pacer

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I could see some of the blockier 80s/90s cars working well in LEGO- Volvo, etc.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Whatcha working on? I don't just wanna make your thing, but maybe I can help!

Nah I'm kidding man, you just keep making the cars that take your fancy.

I'm wanting to make the 79/80 Mitsubishi Galant Lambda aka Dodge "Challenger" (2.6l 4cyl - suuuuuuure it's a Challenger) aka Plymouth Sapporo aka Chrysler Scorpion, seen here in a charming two tone.

The car is a mullet, 80s at the front, 70s at the back. I've worked out most of it but would gladly take any suggestions on the headlights/grill.

Mine has unbroken strips of break lights (easy enough) but is all silver, hence needing the arches, and I'd also need to work out how to differentiate chrome bumpers from the silver paint. I thought pearl grey, but the part selection is limited.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Nah I'm kidding man, you just keep making the cars that take your fancy.

I'm wanting to make the 79/80 Mitsubishi Galant Lambda aka Dodge "Challenger" (2.6l 4cyl - suuuuuuure it's a Challenger) aka Plymouth Sapporo aka Chrysler Scorpion, seen here in a charming two tone.

The car is a mullet, 80s at the front, 70s at the back. I've worked out most of it but would gladly take any suggestions on the headlights/grill.

Mine's all silver, hence needing the arches, and I'd also need to work out how to differentiate chrome bumpers from the silver paint. I thought pearl grey, but the part selection is limited.
Tricky! The grill is an interesting challenge. Double headlights, recessed, with an angled central divider, in what I'm assuming is 6W scale? There may need to be a compromise - maybe a more simple representation of the headlights. My first thought is panels for the recessed element, but sideways tiles may be the answer to maximize your building space.

The color issue feels easier to work out if you lean into the two-tone. That would let you use either the City or new SC fenders in dark gray, doing the top in light gray and the chrome in flat silver or light gray. If you're keeping it all silver, you'll need to brick build some arches. Upside-down cheese slopes feel like a good option. Arch bricks probably won't work simply because of how skinny the nose is.

Here's a quick 5-minute stab at the grill, just to try out some shaping.