Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

flatluigi posted:

so what do you all think about Embercleave

It's the Bust Rodd of equipment, in that it's freaking everywhere!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

flatluigi posted:

Hate it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flatluigi posted:

Hate it.

It'd be nice if we could go more than a couple months without mono-red being the best aggro deck in the format, it's so boring. Though maybe that's more because of Anax.

It's def not better than Jitte though.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Lmao oh my god I’m dying

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Embercleave is what happens when a designer thinks "yo, what if temur battle rage but better?!"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
im just mad I forgot to get one when they were dirt cheap

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I hate that something as narrow as Mystic Repeal is my pet card right now, but a clean one mana answer to Anax, Nightmare Shepherd, Heliod, or whatever other enchantment nonsense is going on, is pretty satisfying.

I just need to conveniently forget the times it's dead in my hand.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Goa Tse-tung posted:

im just mad I forgot to get one when they were dirt cheap

:same:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lone Goat posted:

mono-red being the best aggro deck

This is by design.

Or do you have a problem with The Color Pie?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
when does ikoria spoiler season start

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

gently caress Uro is a crazy good card. It seems like half the decks I play in paper are running 4x if it, in standard and pioneer.

It’s a recurring Prime Time that has a mode you can play early if you want.

It is honestly an insane card.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

when does ikoria spoiler season start
Whenever we regain Tainen's trust

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

loving lol

I cut a hogaak for a shambling shell in manaless. Down to 2 now, might cut a balustrade since that is what comes out most after side.

Have you ever played a blue version with force of will? I don't have forces but they seem like they could be pretty good to stop hate ever hitting the table. Not sure what I'd cut to put them in, I think whirlpool riders are often the blue card of choice to main with it.

I got emry locked with tormod's crypt last time out and was a few turns too late on finding a faerie macabre.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

LMAO there are like 5-6 people in this thread who are just extremely rude and mean.

You are 5-6 posters worth of terrible posting and I don't get why you can be so aware of that fact and still keep posting.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s a recurring Prime Time that has a mode you can play early if you want.

It is honestly an insane card.

uro is to prime time as embercleave is to jitte

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Clowner posted:

This is by design.

Or do you have a problem with The Color Pie?

mono blue and (almost) mono white both won pro tours before the most recent rotation! and sometimes a dual colour aggro deck is good.

basic mountain should be restricted

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lone Goat posted:

mono blue and (almost) mono white both won pro tours before the most recent rotation! and sometimes a dual colour aggro deck is good.

basic mountain should be restricted

Only if basic island is forbidden though.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

gently caress Uro is a crazy good card. It seems like half the decks I play in paper are running 4x if it, in standard and pioneer.
It's great in modern too, has just the right power level to be really good there. i play a lot of UG urza and it's really really good there, if you have an active uro and a deprive or cryptic that's already a lock against most decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
"I love playing modern"

What deck do you play?

"Urza" :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ilmucche posted:

Have you ever played a blue version with force of will? I don't have forces but they seem like they could be pretty good to stop hate ever hitting the table. Not sure what I'd cut to put them in, I think whirlpool riders are often the blue card of choice to main with it.

I got emry locked with tormod's crypt last time out and was a few turns too late on finding a faerie macabre.

I actually came off of the Force of Will plan and the Chancellor of the Anex plan. Force of Will is literally only good in your opening hand, and even then only if you have Narc/Whirlpool/Prized Amalgam in your hand. For every 1/30 games where the super secret T1 Force of Will blowout actually takes place (and they don’t have Force/Daze to super reverse blow you out) there are 29 games where it’s just an $80 bill you cannot use or interact with. G2/G3 they are more relevant, but given how this deck really hates to mulligan, I think the more aggressive and linear build with fewer cute tricks is the way to go. I cut my Forces for Creeping Chill and immediately saw a noted improvement in my decks ability to close games much faster.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What's your full list? I've got no creeping chills, though I suspect the once upon a times are what replaced most most of them in mine because I play 0

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think breach is going to eat a ban in legacy. I wasn't too worried about it at first but the deck keeps improving and getting better. It is just so resilient at this point and has lots of interaction. It can win through multiple pieces of hate and has mentor and lightening bolt as alternate win cons.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sickening posted:

"I love playing modern"

What deck do you play?

"Urza" :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

i'm pretty much that guy in modern, my favorite decks are ug urza and eldrazi tron. to be fair (literally haha) i'm also big on niv mizzet bring to light. even though it's a bit slanted towards primeval titan, modern is great. mystic sanctuary is especially cool, control decks finally have their own unfair thing to do.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Mox Hombre posted:

i'm pretty much that guy in modern, my favorite decks are ug urza and eldrazi tron. to be fair (literally haha) i'm also big on niv mizzet bring to light. even though it's a bit slanted towards primeval titan, modern is great. mystic sanctuary is especially cool, control decks finally have their own unfair thing to do.

I rather agree; modern is in a pretty good place right now. We'll see if someone breaks Breach though.. TBD

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

I rather agree; modern is in a pretty good place right now. We'll see if someone breaks Breach though.. TBD

People seem to be bitching a lot about Primeval Titan but the loudest complaints that I'm hearing are coming from a long-time Jund player, so I don't know how objective he is in the matter (it's not anyone here).

I haven't much time to play Modern lately though my favorite decks either contain Titan or beat up on Titan so maybe I'm not that objective either lol

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Walked posted:

Two members of my play group say that the Breach deck with grinding station is faster and better than KCI and have been crushed by it in mtgo leagues. I think that is a little exaggerated but a couple of assorted “pros” on social media are posting Jeskai breach lists which look pretty sick and also saying they’ve been very successful with it. Also grinding station is ~$20 right now so mtgfinance gurus are looking to cash in on the hype

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's hilarious how broken that deck would be if mopal were still legal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Lone Goat posted:

Hate it.

It'd be nice if we could go more than a couple months without mono-red being the best aggro deck in the format, it's so boring. Though maybe that's more because of Anax.

It's def not better than Jitte though.

As a monored aggro player, lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

Two members of my play group say that the Breach deck with grinding station is faster and better than KCI and have been crushed by it in mtgo leagues. I think that is a little exaggerated but a couple of assorted “pros” on social media are posting Jeskai breach lists which look pretty sick and also saying they’ve been very successful with it. Also grinding station is ~$20 right now so mtgfinance gurus are looking to cash in on the hype

Selling mine right now. Thanks goons! I remember when I had to buy 9 of these just to reach the minimum spend back in the day. Lovely day.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 27, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Read the last 4 pages of bullshit and nobody is talking about the new Underworld Breach Grinding Station deck.
I'm not positive I understand it. You grind yourself to 0 and then escape Thassa's Oracle?

1 Breeding Pool
4 Flooded Strand
1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Mystic Sanctuary
1 Polluted Delta
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Snow-Covered Plains
2 Steam Vents
4 Mishra's Bauble
2 Mox Amber
2 Galvanic Blast
4 Arcum's Astrolabe
2 Metallic Rebuke
1 Thassa's Oracle
4 Underworld Breach
4 Grinding Station
2 Dance of the Mance
4 Emry, Lurker of the Lock
3 Teferi, Time Raveler
3 Cryptic Command
4 Engineered Explosives
SIDEBOARD
3 Tormod's Crypt
2 Veil of Summer
3 Aether Gust
1 Mystical Dispute
2 Hope of Ghirapur
2 Blood Moon
1 Timely Reinforcements
1 Galvanic Blast

I've only played one match so far against Golgari Yawgmoth combo (is that even a real deck?).

efb

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I've been fascinated by the art of Magic since seeing it in comic book store windows as a kid and it still has the best art, though I never played many if any traditional/D&D/card type of games. Really feel like learning the game and teaching my brother/family, they play board games occasionally that I have zero interest in and I think Magic would be a lot of fun. Spent some time on the main website reading the basic rules and checking different cards as much as I can. I would like to have some physical decks to be able to play with, though I'd probably learn the game through free video game if that's a decent idea?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

knox posted:

I've been fascinated by the art of Magic since seeing it in comic book store windows as a kid, though I never played many if any traditional/D&D/card type of games. Really feel like learning the game and teaching my brother/family, they play board games occasionally that I have zero interest in and I think Magic would be a lot of fun. Spent some time on the main website reading rules as much as I can. I would like to have some physical decks to be able to play with, though I'd probably learn the game through free video game if that's a decent idea?

Arena, the free video game will teach you the rules fairly solidly, imo. Ask your local game store if they have Welcome Decks, they should be free. That'll be about the simplest way to get two decks of similar power level without complicated mechanics. I haven't looked at the last few Duel Decks, but they are also an option for out of the box balanced decks.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

knox posted:

I've been fascinated by the art of Magic since seeing it in comic book store windows as a kid and it still has the best art, though I never played many if any traditional/D&D/card type of games. Really feel like learning the game and teaching my brother/family, they play board games occasionally that I have zero interest in and I think Magic would be a lot of fun. Spent some time on the main website reading the basic rules and checking different cards as much as I can. I would like to have some physical decks to be able to play with, though I'd probably learn the game through free video game if that's a decent idea?

Arena is the best bet for a new player to get their feet wet because it handles all the rules for you.

Also there's been art books called The Art of Magic the Gathering [setname] if you want to check those out.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

knox posted:

They have a box set called game night that gives you 5 decks and is designed for more or less what you are looking for. It is a Magic The Gathering experienced packaged up like a board game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I started playing magic like a year and a half ago after a decade long break so I actually feel really accomplished that Bust Rodd thinks im some kind of Elder Statemen

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

I started playing magic like a year and a half ago after a decade long break so I actually feel really accomplished that Bust Rodd thinks im some kind of Elder Statemen

Bust Rodd is also an idiot so I wouldn’t be hanging up the plaque

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Selling mine right now. Thanks goons! I remember when I had to buy 9 of these just to reach the minimum spend back in the day. Lovely day.

You are welcome

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Read the last 4 pages of bullshit and nobody is talking about the new Underworld Breach Grinding Station deck.
I'm not positive I understand it. You grind yourself to 0 and then escape Thassa's Oracle?

I've only played one match so far against Golgari Yawgmoth combo (is that even a real deck?).

efb
Yep, that’s the core gameplan. Outside of that getting value breached out of the game over a couple turns with a stacked graveyard, Hall of Heliod's Generosity, and galvanic blast. A resolved Surgical extraction on underworld breach is hard for them to beat though in their currently built form.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I would rather this thread be 80% bust rod posts than read one single loving more post about posting

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

uro is to prime time as embercleave is to jitte

Not even close, Uro looks real lovely in any format that has Force of Will though lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not even close, Uro looks real lovely in any format that has Force of Will though lol.

Lies. You can pitch Uro to FoW!