Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Seeing as how Starfleet phasers' power settings run the gamut from "slightly singed uniform" to "demolish half a building" I can imagine that it would be quite difficult to tune in the correct setting under stress and accidentally blow a hole in your ship. Considering how its UI is just like three buttons and a row of LED lights, you either have to adjust it with extreme precision, or spend 5 minutes clicking the plus or minus button, depending on how granular the adjustment is.

Also I think way too much about this kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Also I swear I read in one of those old Star Trek technical manuals that hand phasers had some sort of target acquisition/aiming mechanism. How it differentiates friend from foe, who knows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Repurposed intent sensors from the door mechanism.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Also I swear I read in one of those old Star Trek technical manuals that hand phasers had some sort of target acquisition/aiming mechanism. How it differentiates friend from foe, who knows.

Kira Nerys posted:

Now this is an entirely different animal. It's Federation standard issue. A little less powerful, but with a lot more options: sixteen beam settings, fully autonomous recharge, multiple target acquisition, gyrostablized . . . the works

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Seeing as how Starfleet phasers' power settings run the gamut from "slightly singed uniform" to "demolish half a building" I can imagine that it would be quite difficult to tune in the correct setting under stress and accidentally blow a hole in your ship. Considering how its UI is just like three buttons and a row of LED lights, you either have to adjust it with extreme precision, or spend 5 minutes clicking the plus or minus button, depending on how granular the adjustment is.

Also I think way too much about this kind of stuff.

Set phasers to “peel dudes skin off his face and the explode his exposed fleshy skull”

I'd like to know how phased plasma is supposed to stun a being, exactly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I got the vague impression phasers are supposed to work by slapping the water in you, which is why the stun setting would only kill you if you were frail or something, while the kill setting rapidly turned into "you're vaporized as the superheated microwaved part of you spreads out."

I don't mind them using pistol grips for phasers or whatever because that's just good design, but there is something lost if they just become "guns, but pew-pew." The times they used phasers as tools were subtle worldbuilding. They were carrying directed-energy sources, which were weapons, yes, but not JUST weapons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean like the warp drive and holodeck, they work exactly the way the plot needs them to

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Set phasers to "vaporize the pot but not the dough being stirred inside the pot"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

zoux posted:

I mean like the warp drive and holodeck, they work exactly the way the plot needs them to

Star Trek: the technology works exactly the way the plot needs it to

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Set phasers to "vaporize the pot but not the dough being stirred inside the pot"

I'm 99% sure that was mashed potatoes.

Edit: I didn't expect this article to actually exist, but in retrospect that was foolish.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Mashed_potatoes

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

I'm 99% sure that was mashed potatoes.

You're probably right, it's been a while since I've watched that movie. All I remember was a tan colored mass of something with a whisk stuck in it.

Edit: ^^^ haha, memory alpha really has everything

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

I don't mind them using pistol grips for phasers or whatever because that's just good design, but there is something lost if they just become "guns, but pew-pew." The times they used phasers as tools were subtle worldbuilding. They were carrying directed-energy sources, which were weapons, yes, but not JUST weapons.

I remember they designed the TNG hand phasers like that because they wanted them to not look like weapons because they were meant to be tools, and I always found that ironic because since then power tools have all ended up taking on the gun shape instead.

Maybe they should've gone the other way, just have the grip and sight and lose the barrel. Something like

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Considering how its UI is just like three buttons and a row of LED lights, you either have to adjust it with extreme precision, or spend 5 minutes clicking the plus or minus button, depending on how granular the adjustment is.

With 21st century hindsight, it would've been neat if phasers had basic settings on them and if you wanted to do in-depth tuning with frequencies and details and stuff you'd pull out your PADD and adjust it from there.

Or gently caress it, just talk to it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 27, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

I always miss that thing they did in TOS where they'd heat up a rock and sit around it like a campfire. They never do it in TNG. :(

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
They were so desperate to replicate the whole AR vs AK Vietnam era discussion with the Cardassian vs Federation rifle that they forgot to ask if it made any drat sense

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Phasers work by disappearing nucleons into subspace. The stun setting is very low and just causes some heat and tissue damage as a tiny proportion of atoms in the target fall apart. Kill setting causes a lot of atomic disruption. Higher settings zonk the target halfway into another dimension and heat and radiation puff the rest into steam.

I believe okuda and sternbach came up with this explanation to avoid lethal explosions whenever the phasers zap something.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Salami posted:

I always miss that thing they did in TOS where they'd heat up a rock and sit around it like a campfire. They never do it in TNG. :(

I'm certain it happens at least once

Some trapped in a cave time.... Crystalline entity maybe?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MikeJF posted:

I remember they designed the TNG hand phasers like that because they wanted them to not look like weapons because they were meant to be tools, and I always found that ironic because since then power tools have all ended up taking on the gun shape instead.

It's real quaint seeing that kind of design ethos coming to today, the age of tactical everything. The military has done an incredible job of marketing itself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Set phasers to "vaporize the pot but not the bong"

:2bong:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Star Trek thread: memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Mashed_potatoes

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
In my recent rewatch I’m finding it crazy just how much more the crew of DS9 feels like a cohesive family versus the TNG crew.

Beachcomber posted:

I hate how Starwars-y the final battle of Discovery S2 is. Even the attack fighters in DS9 were a mistake.

I’m actually ok with Peregrine fighters since they seem to operate on their own, but it’s the idea of fighter carriers in licensed stuff like STO I have a problem with.

SlothfulCobra posted:

And then sometimes they're mounted on a stick to make a cheap looking rifle.

I just can’t stop noticing this in my recent rewatch.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, Tony Todd and Majel are the only ones who could really rival Combs for best recurring Trek guest star.

I’ll agree with them and Mark Lenard being the closest.

Khanstant posted:

I wonder legally, ethically, and socially this sort of thing would be handled.

They sort of deal with this in a DS9 ep. Keira gets very mad at Quark for trying.

Angry Salami posted:

They do! Wesley does this in an episode where he and Picard are stranded and Picard is injured.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Longbaugh01 posted:

They sort of deal with this in a DS9 ep. Keira gets very mad at Quark for trying.
Which, consequently, the creeper alien that hires Quark is played by....Jeffrey Combs

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Just finished rewatching DS9 “The Sound Of Her Voice”. Mike was completely right in the second RLM Picard review video that it’s a good example of a Trek episode standing alone but fitting into a wider arc. DS9 in general was very good at that especially the further it went.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Which, consequently, the creeper alien that hires Quark is played by....Jeffrey Combs

Haha exactly! I think that’s his fourth out of five unless I’m forgetting one. The fifth being Alaimo’s police detective partner from Far Beyond The Stars if we count those.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 27, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Humerus posted:

I hated that in the JJTrek movies and I was holding out hope for Disco and nope :(

Even hand phasers are just "guns but bullets are lights" which is really lame imo. Even Picard couldn't save us.

Remember in the killer sales pitch episode of TNG when they'd miss a drone with the phaser and then just drag the beam over to it because it's a beam? I was really annoyed that they practically never did that ever again after that episode and just treated the phasers like every other scifi blaster. Like, how do you miss someone with a freaking flashlight?

Khanstant posted:

As far as I know, hardly anyone was even slightly bothered by the undead puppetry thing.

I guess we hang out in different circles, nearly everyone I talked to agreed that that the digital recreations in Rogue One might as well have been trailing grave dirt and embalming fluid behind them for how creepy and unsettling they were.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Remember in the killer sales pitch episode of TNG when they'd miss a drone with the phaser and then just drag the beam over to it because it's a beam? I was really annoyed that they practically never did that ever again after that episode and just treated the phasers like every other scifi blaster. Like, how do you

probably way harder to rotoscope

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Panzeh posted:

It's real quaint seeing that kind of design ethos coming to today, the age of tactical everything. The military has done an incredible job of marketing itself.

Pistol grips are comfortable to hold, which is why they turn up on handtools so much now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Arglebargle III posted:

probably way harder to rotoscope

Yeah, most of this can be attributed to special effects.

I'd be willing to bet too that the reason why the modern stuff is more pew pew is that it doesn't put a break in the action to have someone stand there and shoot a beam instead of a bolt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/1233071637517471745

Put that Borg cube in the drat left field bleachers

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Remember in the killer sales pitch episode of TNG when they'd miss a drone with the phaser and then just drag the beam over to it because it's a beam? I was really annoyed that they practically never did that ever again after that episode and just treated the phasers like every other scifi blaster. Like, how do you miss someone with a freaking flashlight?

I guess we hang out in different circles, nearly everyone I talked to agreed that that the digital recreations in Rogue One might as well have been trailing grave dirt and embalming fluid behind them for how creepy and unsettling they were.

I want to know your people because I'm pretty sure all the ones I know are sick of me going on about how evil Disney is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Much as B5 was "not quite there" for huge CGI space battles and the prequels were not quite there for fully CGIed out sets and characters, I think we're not quite there for digitized dead actors (we may never be because of the uncanny valley)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JucheMane/status/1233071637517471745

Put that Borg cube in the drat left field bleachers

I've got that Enterprise! It's a really nice little thing for the price.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I've got that Enterprise! It's a really nice little thing for the price.

Are those the old micromachines ones? I had a bunch of those when I was a kid. I have no sense of scale of that pic

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Thread inspired me to rewatch "Night Terrors." I was surprised it wasn't a Brannon Braga episode.

Man I love all these episodes where the Enterprise checks up on some other Starfleet ship or outpost where everyone's gone insane and murdered each other/devolved into bugs/spontaneously combusted/suffered an unimaginable and permanent fate. Imagine how it is for the rest of Starfleet's explorers. You're on the USS $oberthName, it's like 90 years old, no holodecks, antimatter injectors jammed open, you hit an isospatial torque sphincter or an alien brain probe and it's like the lost scenes from Event Horizon. You murder your roommate with a protoplaser. The captain vents warp coolant through the whole ship. Your skin falls off.

A couple days post mortem the Enterprise-D rolls up in a cloud of weed and cetacean byproducts. Picard makes a concerned face. "What's up with this poo poo Data" " Difficult to say, sir, it's pretty hosed up" "Very well" and forty minutes and a B-plot later they're tearing off to Starbase 40214 for a Lwaxana episode. Different worlds.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Captain's Log, Stardate 40001. The Enterprise has encountered a space hulk, a mass of wreckage and lost ships that drifts randomly through subspace. Though I am eager to begin archaeological studies of this historical treasure, Lieutenant Commander Worf has expressed concerns about security. Perhaps this is an opportunity for him to participate more closely in the scientific process.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

General Battuta posted:

isospatial torque sphincter

Lovin' this :techno:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Captain's Log, Stardate 12426. We are responding to a medical distress call from the commercial vessel Nostromo. Dr. Crusher is excited at the chance to contact and characterize an entirely new species. Mr. Data has volunteered to act as liason with the ship's science officer, who is intrigued by the organism's biomechanical traits. I have placed the Enterprise's full laboratory facilities at his disposal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Thread inspired me to rewatch "Night Terrors." I was surprised it wasn't a Brannon Braga episode.

Man I love all these episodes where the Enterprise checks up on some other Starfleet ship or outpost where everyone's gone insane and murdered each other/devolved into bugs/spontaneously combusted/suffered an unimaginable and permanent fate. Imagine how it is for the rest of Starfleet's explorers. You're on the USS $oberthName, it's like 90 years old, no holodecks, antimatter injectors jammed open, you hit an isospatial torque sphincter or an alien brain probe and it's like the lost scenes from Event Horizon. You murder your roommate with a protoplaser. The captain vents warp coolant through the whole ship. Your skin falls off.

A couple days post mortem the Enterprise-D rolls up in a cloud of weed and cetacean byproducts. Picard makes a concerned face. "What's up with this poo poo Data" " Difficult to say, sir, it's pretty hosed up" "Very well" and forty minutes and a B-plot later they're tearing off to Starbase 40214 for a Lwaxana episode. Different worlds.

Buddy if you ain't in the main cast...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

zoux posted:

Are those the old micromachines ones? I had a bunch of those when I was a kid. I have no sense of scale of that pic

I think it's the eaglemoss one

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

zoux posted:

Buddy if you ain't in the main cast...

I guess you could say discovering the anomaly *puts on sunglasses* floored her

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I guess you could say discovering the anomaly *puts on sunglasses* floored her

YEEEEEEEEEEEAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

General Battuta posted:

Man I love all these episodes where the Enterprise checks up on some other Starfleet ship or outpost where everyone's gone insane and murdered each other/devolved into bugs/spontaneously combusted/suffered an unimaginable and permanent fate.\

I don't know why they won't make a Star Trek movie with this sort of story. You could still hang all kinds of dumb action sequences around it.