Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003
Thank you for the recommendations!

I've got a nice list of things to check out:
ZRX 1100/1200
Bandit 1200
xj1300
cb1300
Maybe check out an sv650

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a substantial difference between the SV650 and SV650x other than styling?

Because the x is pretty.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 24, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rolo posted:

Is there a substantial difference between the SV650 and SV650x other than styling?

AFAIK it's got different handlebars and that's the only significant functional difference

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you like how the X looks, get the X. Parts will swap to do whatever you want, ergonomically

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think the X has both clipons and rearsets, so the ergos are a little more aggressive than the regular model's handlebars and regular position footpegs. I sat on both of them side by side last month and that's all I remember. The seat on the X is really nice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The X seems to be the ergonomic successor to the S, retro BS is just more popular than half fairings these days.

Ten years ago the Kawasaki z900 would've come in two versions: ugly robot insect, and ugly robot insect with a half fairing and better suspension.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The new SV650 has a seat as comfortable as a rock; I've heard that the X has a more comfortable seat. I just got a Corbin one for mine.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If you want decent, fully adjustable suspension on the SV - what quasi-inexpensive options are there short of buying parts off of someone's retired race bike? Are GSX-R front end swaps still a thing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

If you want decent, fully adjustable suspension on the SV - what quasi-inexpensive options are there short of buying parts off of someone's retired race bike? Are GSX-R front end swaps still a thing?

Gixxer 600 fork swap is the bling way, cartridge emulators + heavier springs if needed will do 95% of the same job.

Rear shock iirc early zx6 items bolt in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah there are a bunch of ninja shocks that bolt in and a handful of gsxr shocks as well.

Or, you know, Öhlins makes a shock for the SV :retrogames:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah there are a bunch of ninja shocks that bolt in and a handful of gsxr shocks as well.

Or, you know, Öhlins makes a shock for the SV :retrogames:

You can throw :10bux: and Ohlins/Nitron/Traxxion + Penske at anything. I was just wondering what the budget swaps involved.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The swaps that involve shocks with attached reservoirs often involve cutting the battery box to fit the reservoir. Remote reservoirs are usually not an issue.

Fork swaps are super well documented. Basically any front end that can be adapted is documented although I would argue that putting racetech guts in the stock forks is just as good but not as blingy obviously. There are big brake kits and you can upgrade to gsxr calipers as well

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I've been riding for about 4 years and put about 20 thousand km's on the clock on a CRF250l. I mostly chase twisties in the weekends on tarmac and I've ended up just putting road tires on since i just about never leave the tarmac. I might be looking into communiting with bikes too in a year or so. I'm finally getting around to getting to the last step of licensing in NZ at the end of this year and that lets me get whatever in terms of bike choice.

I'm already trying to think about what kinds of bikes I might switch into at the end of the year so at least I have a target for saving. I feel like I'm not sure what I want to do from here on in. I like my bike at the moment but sometimes I guess I want a little more. The range on one tank isn't great and its just such a chore to ride on 100kmh roads which i would definitely end up doing if i do commute. I feel like I have 3 options here:

1: lean harder into sumo and get something like a KTM 690SM which is just my bike but a bit more of everything - power, better suspension and only a bit heavier. I want to test ride one but I suppose i'll feel just as exposed on the motorway - but it won't feel like wringing out the throttle to death

2: Get a dadventure bike, like a CRX500 or 650 Vstrom with the extra horses, the windscreen and more fairings it'll make commuting and light touring really easy in case I do go down that road. I worry that they might feel a bit heavy and barge like in handling since I've gotten used to riding a dual sport

3: Just get a road bike, like a sv650, street triple or a CBR 650 and get something with more dynamics and actually oriented to all the road riding I do. I've never ridden anything with proper fairings, more than 1 cylinder or doesn't have big wide handlebars and I'm not sure how i'm going to like that long term.

I'm probably overthinking things and probably should just go out and do a bunch of test riding to help me decide but I'd love to hear what the goon panel thinks.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 27, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Trambopaline posted:

I feel like I have 3 options here:

1: lean harder into sumo

YES.

Trambopaline posted:

and get something like a KTM 690SM

NO.

If you never leave tarmac, why do you still stick with the CRF? Do you like that style or ergos? If so, then you should absolutely get a supermoto, though you might be well served by a dedicated street bike. If you use the bike for commute, do you need storage space? If so a top box on a sumo or cases on a dadventure bike might be your bag.

I feel like even a WR250x will have a significant boost over the CRF, but you should consider larger sumos.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Apart from general KTM ness what's bad about the 690? I know the WR250 is really good but I guess looking at the numbers it only seems a little more than the CRF? Apart from the WR what else are good options?

I guess I've stuck with the dual sport life because it's the bike I learnt to ride on and I used tolive somewhere where there were a lot of fire roads to explore. I've subsequently moved to a much more urban area.

I don't hate anything specifically about it apart from being a bit weak at this point. I like flicking it through the twisties and I definitely don't find the eegos unpleasant. I have no trouble keeping up with other people on the very occasional group rides I do. It may well be a case of me not knowing what I'm missing so I know I should just test ride some street bikes to see if I'm actually missing out on something amazing.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 27, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I got a 690 after being in your position and making the on paper decision that it was the way to go. It is not. It's huge and has a wide turn radius and sucks for commuting. Absolute monster in the twisties tho.

I had a wr250x and I still miss it. Super light and punchy and also a monster in the twisties. Great for commutes and off road and general sumoness.

If I had to go back to the "I want twice the power to weight of the same thing I have now" decision (that you are also thinking about), I'd wish I had just gotten a 525exc or something similar. Sure, the KTMness would have sucked, but it would have been better to ride (I think).

EVEN BETTER, See if you can find a plated 2012+ WR450f to sumo. That's what you want, as it's basically an exc but with yamaha build quality. They exist, though terribly rare.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I would much rather go with an exc 500 than the hassle of a sumod 450

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jazzzzz posted:

If the new SV forks are the same 41mm units as they used to be, which it appears they are, your cheapest options are gold emulators or cartridges sourced from a CBR F3. A gixxer swap is an option but a whole front end is going to cost upwards of $600, and will also be significantly more labor since you're tearing down to the steering bearings, remounting all controls and electronics, etc.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Trambopaline posted:

I've been riding for about 4 years and put about 20 thousand km's on the clock on a CRF250l. I mostly chase twisties in the weekends on tarmac and I've ended up just putting road tires on since i just about never leave the tarmac. I might be looking into communiting with bikes too in a year or so. I'm finally getting around to getting to the last step of licensing in NZ at the end of this year and that lets me get whatever in terms of bike choice.

I'm already trying to think about what kinds of bikes I might switch into at the end of the year so at least I have a target for saving. I feel like I'm not sure what I want to do from here on in. I like my bike at the moment but sometimes I guess I want a little more. The range on one tank isn't great and its just such a chore to ride on 100kmh roads which i would definitely end up doing if i do commute. I feel like I have 3 options here:

1: lean harder into sumo and get something like a KTM 690SM which is just my bike but a bit more of everything - power, better suspension and only a bit heavier. I want to test ride one but I suppose i'll feel just as exposed on the motorway - but it won't feel like wringing out the throttle to death

2: Get a dadventure bike, like a CRX500 or 650 Vstrom with the extra horses, the windscreen and more fairings it'll make commuting and light touring really easy in case I do go down that road. I worry that they might feel a bit heavy and barge like in handling since I've gotten used to riding a dual sport

3: Just get a road bike, like a sv650, street triple or a CBR 650 and get something with more dynamics and actually oriented to all the road riding I do. I've never ridden anything with proper fairings, more than 1 cylinder or doesn't have big wide handlebars and I'm not sure how i'm going to like that long term.

I'm probably overthinking things and probably should just go out and do a bunch of test riding to help me decide but I'd love to hear what the goon panel thinks.

i vote 1 and get a newer 690 (2019+ iirc) since they have the far better counterbalanced motors. or an older husqvarna 701 since they've had those motors longer (lol KTM)

the CB500X and the vstrom are both heavy, slow turds. I'd rather ride a 250L any day over either of those

option 3 is good, but a SM is always going to be more fun than those other options

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

I would much rather go with an exc 500 than the hassle of a sumod 450

Given that I recommended an already titled and converted new generation one, what hassle are you talking about?

I'm not saying get a Honda 500r from 2002

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
are you familiar with the service intervals on the 450s?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All of that is moot because he's in NZ and those sorts of bikes are fantastically expensive compared to normal not-SM stuff. The used market for things like wr450's doesn't exist

My vote: test ride some poo poo, work out what you want.

Seriously a sumo road legal exc500 is around ten grand, you can literally buy a Duc 996 for that kind of money, or a Hayabusa for half that, or a street triple and a bunch of mint riding gear. They are not worth it at all unless you're building one yourself and even then just the wheels alone will run you a good $1500.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 27, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

are you familiar with the service intervals on the 450s?

No. I thought the efi 2012+ 450 was more akin to a wr250r when used for non race applications. Vis a vis the exc.

Didn't know he was in NZ. In that case just get anything but a red dirtbike-OH NO

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
It's given me a lot of food for thought. Thanks guys.

I definitely will test ride some road bikes to see if it's the secret sauce that I'm missing since like slavvy said there is this premium on sumos around here but I don't mind forking out the extra cash. It's not that I can't wait to get rid of the CRF but more to make plans about what next and if I gotta pay extra to get the right bike, well I'll just have to save longer. Everyone says sumos are always the most fun but out of curiosity what makes them so different from road bikes? Again asking because I never rode anything different.

Interestingly enough slavvy, I did see a road legal wr450 go up for sale in Wellington where I am based last year, so while they definitely are rare as hens teeth around here they do exist.

Oh and what's the red dirtbike meme?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

they're fun because avoiding traffic and running from the cops on sidewalks and poo poo is fun :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trambopaline posted:

It's given me a lot of food for thought. Thanks guys.

I definitely will test ride some road bikes to see if it's the secret sauce that I'm missing since like slavvy said there is this premium on sumos around here but I don't mind forking out the extra cash. It's not that I can't wait to get rid of the CRF but more to make plans about what next and if I gotta pay extra to get the right bike, well I'll just have to save longer. Everyone says sumos are always the most fun but out of curiosity what makes them so different from road bikes? Again asking because I never rode anything different.

Interestingly enough slavvy, I did see a road legal wr450 go up for sale in Wellington where I am based last year, so while they definitely are rare as hens teeth around here they do exist.

Oh and what's the red dirtbike meme?

In a nutshell: sumos have huge tires, very low weight and very long travel suspension, this means they have a shitload of grip to the point of sometimes feeling impossible to crash. They can also brake insanely hard because they're so tall and the weight transfer is so big. The downside to this is a general lack of stability, which would be a big problem if they were 100hp bikes expected to corner at high speeds, but they're all relatively slow dirt bikes that struggle to get past 150kmh so that doesn't really matter.

Basically they are bikes fully optimised for slow, tight, bumpy corners and suck at everything else. The heavier they get, the more stability needs to be introduced, the less motarded the bike becomes. 690's imo occupy that awkward space where they're really too fast and heavy to be a real motard but too tall and bouncy to be a decent fast bike but YMMV.

The key thing here is: all (road) bikes are fundamentally the same and work the same way, the various configurations are just optimisation for different roles. This is why I always tell people to consider what kind of riding they do and what kind of roads they tend to ride on. I ride primarily in the waitakere ranges, which are basically motard/naked territory cause the corners are all far too slow and bumpy for sportbikes to be worth a drat (doesn't stop heroes from trying). If I lived near Arthur's pass it would be the opposite.

The red dirt bike thing is from a few years ago when my neighbour teamed up with the cops to run a harassment campaign against me, the highlight of which was accusing me of riding a red dirt bike (I have never owned one) across a nearby footbridge. At the time I had a black zx10 and a green zrx1200 and in the end all they managed was a ticket in the mail for expired rego.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
also keep in mind that the internet likes to go on and on about The One True Pure SuperMotard but if you remember that you're going up against 450+lb sport bikes, a 350 lb supermoto that makes 70 HP is still pretty fuckin mint.

while yeah, a blinged out kart track missile FE501 sumo build is probably more what a "proper" historical sumo is, the reality is that modern supermoto (in a non race context) are mostly about doing all kinds of riding and conditions which DRZs, 690s and 701s all accomplish perfectly while still retaining enough creature comforts to be a realistic everyday rider bike

unless you enjoy changing oil every 500 miles in that case go nuts

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The 690/701 is a great bike but I'll summarize my 3 years into owning a 701 as build quality being iffy and the LC4 engine tends to die prematurely. The ride is just awesome though, there's just nothing like a 75hp thumper.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Granted I've only ridden the first gen 690, but I honestly don't know why people like that engine. It's a useless paint shaker in the lower half of the rev range, the gearing is hopeless if you're forced to ride at car speeds, it makes an awful noise and the smooth useable power band is ridiculously narrow. Like they don't have any of the usual strengths of a big single but still aren't anywhere near as fast as a decent midsize twin.

I won't even mention the rotten throttle response, the bike's total aversion to being ridden smoothly, the relentless tendency to blow up, the platinum infused engine oil, the two (!) $20 spark plugs...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

DR650 SM

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just change the thread title to this.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Granted I've only ridden the first gen 690, but I honestly don't know why people like that engine. It's a useless paint shaker in the lower half of the rev range, the gearing is hopeless if you're forced to ride at car speeds, it makes an awful noise and the smooth useable power band is ridiculously narrow. Like they don't have any of the usual strengths of a big single but still aren't anywhere near as fast as a decent midsize twin.

I won't even mention the rotten throttle response, the bike's total aversion to being ridden smoothly, the relentless tendency to blow up, the platinum infused engine oil, the two (!) $20 spark plugs...

The newer ones are smoother and can rev higher, but yeah they don't make much torque. You need to keep it above 4000rpm really, though the new ones don't start whacking into the chain below that, the previous gen did that.

Throttle response is the best I've ever encountered though - it's just perfect.

How do you mean the gearing being useless at car speeds? It's more the power band than the gearing but in traffic you're usually revving pretty high which can be annoying. I actually went for a smaller front sprocket so I made more revs, allowing me to shift into 2nd on tighter corners and in slow traffic.

Anyway sure a twin gets better power and is pretty much less complicated. Being that the LC4 has two counter balancers, two spark plugs, four oil filters, an intake resonator, they could have ditches all that crap (well kept the two plugs) and added an extra piston. It would however weigh more, the 690/701 is imo the lightest fully highway-capable (not CA "25hp is highway capable") bike.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Does NZ have the Yamaha T700 available? The response to those seems to be good, and I see it compared to the 690 a lot, though it's definitely more of a dirt oriented bike.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

BabelFish posted:

Does NZ have the Yamaha T700 available? The response to those seems to be good, and I see it compared to the 690 a lot, though it's definitely more of a dirt oriented bike.

There's a 690/701 enduro, if you mean the T700 being more of a dirt-oriented bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What about the newer XT660? I see it popping up in South America moto Instagram a lot, and it’s a pretty good looking machine. No idea about the performance in the current reboot though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

The newer ones are smoother and can rev higher, but yeah they don't make much torque. You need to keep it above 4000rpm really, though the new ones don't start whacking into the chain below that, the previous gen did that.

Throttle response is the best I've ever encountered though - it's just perfect.

How do you mean the gearing being useless at car speeds? It's more the power band than the gearing but in traffic you're usually revving pretty high which can be annoying. I actually went for a smaller front sprocket so I made more revs, allowing me to shift into 2nd on tighter corners and in slow traffic.

Anyway sure a twin gets better power and is pretty much less complicated. Being that the LC4 has two counter balancers, two spark plugs, four oil filters, an intake resonator, they could have ditches all that crap (well kept the two plugs) and added an extra piston. It would however weigh more, the 690/701 is imo the lightest fully highway-capable (not CA "25hp is highway capable") bike.

The gearing is biased toward getting the most acceleration out of that narrow power band yeah, it's always either chugging or screaming and you can't just putter along.

I also think that's some pretty huge compromises in complexity and rideability for the sake of a slightly lighter bike, and the weight saving is small so I think it's of dubious benefit anyway. I can definitely go faster on any of the midsize twins than on a 690, useable easy power in the middle of the corner has much, much more value than ten missing kg for me.

Not to mention if I want lightness, great suspension and 70-80hp at the cost of more intense servicing, I immediately think air cooled monster 800. Just as fast, better in the fast corners, has an absolutely glorious engine, a very cohesive riding character and actually looks good.

E: the new Yamaha twin is the perfect middle ground here and they are meant to be pretty magic. Being good on dirt doesn't mean something is bad on the road, tyres are by far the biggest factor in that.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 27, 2020

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

High Protein posted:

has two counter balancers, two spark plugs, four oil filters, an intake resonator

What the mother gently caress

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

What the mother gently caress

How else are you going to make a thumper make glorious twin-like power over a 3,000rpm spread at the expense of all sense and reason???

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slavvy posted:

The gearing is biased toward getting the most acceleration out of that narrow power band yeah, it's always either chugging or screaming and you can't just putter along.

I also think that's some pretty huge compromises in complexity and rideability for the sake of a slightly lighter bike, and the weight saving is small so I think it's of dubious benefit anyway. I can definitely go faster on any of the midsize twins than on a 690, useable easy power in the middle of the corner has much, much more value than ten missing kg for me.

Not to mention if I want lightness, great suspension and 70-80hp at the cost of more intense servicing, I immediately think air cooled monster 800. Just as fast, better in the fast corners, has an absolutely glorious engine, a very cohesive riding character and actually looks good.

E: the new Yamaha twin is the perfect middle ground here and they are meant to be pretty magic. Being good on dirt doesn't mean something is bad on the road, tyres are by far the biggest factor in that.

i think you need to make up your mind, i have no opinions on the engine whatevers but like... you ding the big supermotos for weighing more than a race sumo (even though their p/w ratio is pretty good) and then your example of a reasonable bike is a... monster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i want a motorcycle but im poor

i daydream about buying a chinese 4-stroke bike conversion kit on amazon and putting it on my road bike(cycle) to make some kind of 1920s board track like abomination