Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whats the most hosed up thing that's ever happened to a ship of any registry in alpha canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The aborted mushroom warp on the Glenn turning everyone into meat corkscrews was pretty gruesome

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

zoux posted:

Whats the most hosed up thing that's ever happened to a ship of any registry in alpha canon

I'm having trouble remembering all the different instances of this, but what happened to the original crew of the original Defiant in Tholian Web? Maybe they got transported to the Hell universe from Event Horizon.

Also, is Tholian Web the very first episode with this premise?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The aborted mushroom warp on the Glenn turning everyone into meat corkscrews was pretty gruesome

loving reapers

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'm having trouble remembering all the different instances of this, but what happened to the original crew of the original Defiant in Tholian Web? Maybe they got transported to the Hell universe from Event Horizon.

Also, is Tholian Web the very first episode with this premise?

They went space crazy and killed each other.

the Enterprise stumbling upon a place where everyone already went space crazy and died is one of the very oldest stock Trek plots. “Man Trap” implicitly takes place amid the ruins of the weird salt monsters’ civilization. In “Naked Time” it’s explicit that everyone went crazy and turned the heat off.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's explicit in Naked Now too. I've only seen Naked Time once, was the TNG remake basically shot-for-shot or what?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's explicit in Naked Now too. I've only seen Naked Time once, was the TNG remake basically shot-for-shot or what?

Not quite shot for shot, but just about beat for beat. It’s so much the same plot that they even had the characters read up on the plot of the original episode! They couldn’t come up with anything as good as sword Sulu, alas.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It wasn't shot for shot, but it was similar. The problem with Naked Now is that it wasn't earned. It was the second episode of the entire show and everyone was acting all zany and weird, which didn't mean anything because we didn't know anything about any of them. Then it turns into an after school special at the end where Wesley is told to just say no to drugs.

Edit: Though it seems the TOS episode wasn't much better. It was the 4th episode.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Did Naked Time have a reverse-cleavage outfit or just shirtless Sulu

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

It wasn't shot for shot, but it was similar. The problem with Naked Now is that it wasn't earned. It was the second episode of the entire show and everyone was acting all zany and weird, which didn't mean anything because we didn't know anything about any of them. Then it turns into an after school special at the end where Wesley is told to just say no to drugs.

Edit: Though it seems the TOS episode wasn't much better. It was the 4th episode.

The TOS episode created the personality of Spock, so I can see where they were coming from trying to repeat it. The point of that episode was NOT that everyone just acted weird, it’s that their deepest desires that they normally do not express came out. Chapel wants Spock, Spock wants to feel anything, Kirk wants to be loved, Sulu wants to be a hero, Riley wants to be a dick. It provides insight into the characters in a way that the TNG episode fails to.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Plus, The Naked Now is so much of a straight retread that it takes away from the episode because it doesn't add anything new. It's just "Naked Time except the TNG crew".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And also you don't know a single thing about the crew yet because it's literally the first post-pilot episode so maybe this is just how they act. Also it's infected the robot somehow.

That episode pisses me off

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

The whole rear end crew of the ship in “The Omega Glory” got melted into what looks like road salt and it gets totally ignored because Kirk taught the barbarians about the constitution, lol

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you think about it, the Naked Now was funny and all, but it all started from that derelict ship where everybody presumably died from being drunk and horny.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

A little late to the guest star discussion, but Ethan Phillips deserves honorable mention - he plays two (unrelated) Ferengi and has that hilarious cameo in First Contact.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you think about it, the Naked Now was funny and all, but it all started from that derelict ship where everybody presumably died from being drunk and horny.

If you think about it everytime Worf says "damage on decks whatever" a whole bunch of people got torched by plasma and hidden bulkhead rocks and if he says "hull breach" well that's the inky vacuum of space for Lt JG Wrong Hall Wrong Time. He was a botanist!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

The whole rear end crew of the ship in “The Omega Glory” got melted into what looks like road salt and it gets totally ignored because Kirk taught the barbarians about the constitution, lol

I mean, I'm not saying the planet-side plot was any good, but exactly how much more time did you want the episode to dwell on the issue of "a terrible disease annihilated the crew of the Exeter"?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There’s no saving Omega Glory, don’t get me wrong. It’s the indignity of it that’s funny to me. Yeah they all died, but have you heard about liberty and justice for all??

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't Worf eat a guy that one time he was turned into a lobster man?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

skasion posted:

The TOS episode created the personality of Spock, so I can see where they were coming from trying to repeat it. The point of that episode was NOT that everyone just acted weird, it’s that their deepest desires that they normally do not express came out. Chapel wants Spock, Spock wants to feel anything, Kirk wants to be loved, Sulu wants to be a hero, Riley wants to be a dick. It provides insight into the characters in a way that the TNG episode fails to.
"Naked Time" has one of my favorite bits of TOS dialogue:

Sulu to Uhura, in full fencing mode: "I'll protect you, fair maiden!"
Uhura: "Sorry, neither."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

"Naked Time" has one of my favorite bits of TOS dialogue:

Sulu to Uhura, in full fencing mode: "I'll protect you, fair maiden!"
Uhura: "Sorry, neither."

haha, that's excellent.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

zoux posted:

The goop aliens from the demon planet in Voyager thought they were Voyager's crew, but when they started dying from radiation sickness and melting they realized all their memories and emotions were lies and died sending out a useless distress beacon to the real Voyager. It was also the extinction of an entire sapient race!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

zoux posted:

And also you don't know a single thing about the crew yet because it's literally the first post-pilot episode so maybe this is just how they act. Also it's infected the robot somehow.

That episode pisses me off

Plus it moved Wesley Crusher from 'annoying child' to 'why the gently caress hasn't he been locked in his room for the rest of forever' after he caused the whole ship in distress dilemma and instead gets rewarded and praised at the end.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

zoux posted:

It's not body horror or anything, but honorable mention goes to the USS Bozeman (TNG "Cause & Effect", Captain Frazier Crane). You're toodling along in your nifty new ship when all of a sudden there's some sort of distortion and this weird Federation-esque ship pops out of nowhere, barely missing you. You're surprised and a little pissed, but you're a good captain and you hail them to see if they need help.

These loving jokers are wearing pajamas on the bridge. What the gently caress is going on?

So it turns out that it's almost a hundred years in the future, everyone you left behind is dead and gone (unless you're a Vulcan), and you have to head back and spend six months in intensive cultural refamiliarity courses taught by a Betazoid, whatever the gently caress that is, except he knows when you're bullshitting your way through an answer, so I guess they're like even more obnoxious Vulcans...and he heard you thinking that. Goddammit.

Worst part is there's no way you'll ever sit in a captain's chair again. Off to the historical research institute with you! At least you're not working third watch on a listening post like your first officer who threw a punch at that guy, whasshisname, Wart, Wolf, something like that. You'd think Day One of Welcome To Our Century Class would cover "Klingons are our buddies now so don't try to coldcock them at the bar."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

It's not body horror or anything, but honorable mention goes to the USS Bozeman (TNG "Cause & Effect", Captain Frazier Crane). You're toodling along in your nifty new ship when all of a sudden there's some sort of distortion and this weird Federation-esque ship pops out of nowhere, barely missing you. You're surprised and a little pissed, but you're a good captain and you hail them to see if they need help.

These loving jokers are wearing pajamas on the bridge. What the gently caress is going on?

So it turns out that it's almost a hundred years in the future, everyone you left behind is dead and gone (unless you're a Vulcan), and you have to head back and spend six months in intensive cultural refamiliarity courses taught by a Betazoid, whatever the gently caress that is, except he knows when you're bullshitting your way through an answer, so I guess they're like even more obnoxious Vulcans...and he heard you thinking that. Goddammit.

Worst part is there's no way you'll ever sit in a captain's chair again. Off to the historical research institute with you! At least you're not working third watch on a listening post like your first officer who threw a punch at that guy, whasshisname, Wart, Wolf, something like that. You'd think Day One of Welcome To Our Century Class would cover "Klingons are our buddies now so don't try to coldcock them at the bar."

Oh so that's why Frasier was always at a bar surrounded by other alcoholics

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Worst part is there's no way you'll ever sit in a captain's chair again. Off to the historical research institute with you!

Semi-related, but I vaguely recall a 90’s Trek book where Captain Frasier nearly got the Enterprise-E chair over Picard for some reason.

Imagine that alternate universe version of the TNG movies.
:captainpop:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Semi-related, but I vaguely recall a 90’s Trek book where Captain Frasier nearly got the Enterprise-E chair over Picard for some reason.

I didn't read the book but I remember someone posting about it saying that it was a 'seniority' thing, and technically Captain Frasier had been captain for the longest. Dumb.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's like how I joked at work that I should be accruing vacation time more rapidly, because the system had my hire date as April 2003, from back when I worked for this company as a student, instead of January 2018, when I actually started in this position.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Didn't Worf eat a guy that one time he was turned into a lobster man?

I don’t think he ate a guy (maybe nibbled a bit) but he certainly tore the guy apart (while he was sitting at the helm, somehow)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CPColin posted:

That's like how I joked at work that I should be accruing vacation time more rapidly, because the system had my hire date as April 2003, from back when I worked for this company as a student, instead of January 2018, when I actually started in this position.

For you it's a joke but I 100% guarantee that similar arguments have been attempted unironically in offices around the world

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

For you it's a joke but I 100% guarantee that similar arguments have been attempted unironically in offices around the world

No doubt; I was only like 80% joking!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

"Oh so we're friendly with the spoonheads now are we"
"Dude, not cool."

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Imagine that alternate universe version of the TNG movies.
:captainpop:

It's been a long time but I seem to remember that book going with an Enterprise-A style setup, in that the E was an existing ship undergoing it's trial runs that was renamed to Enterprise and given to Picard after the D was lost.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How the gently caress did Kelsey Grammer, in the prime of his career, end up in a walkon role in TNG

Also good answers on the ship questions, but for single individuals, does anything top Miles' 100 years of punishment in the hyperbolic time chamber

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 28, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

How the gently caress did Kelsey Grammer, in the prime of his career, end up in a walkon role in TNG

Hey you want to be on Star Trek?

poo poo yeah I do!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

zoux posted:

gene was his hook up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

Also good answers on the ship questions, but for single individuals, does anything top Miles' 100 years of punishment in the hyperbolic time chamber

I mean it's not torture or punishment but Inner Light would probably drive a normal person insane if it happened to them

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the worst fate for an individual is going to have to be somebody dying horribly or having a bunch of terrible things happen to them before dying horribly. Any trauma that you can walk away from you can at least hope to recover from.

The Enterprise that saved Klingons only to go on to be destroyed and survivors enslaved and raped by Romulans probably is up there for bad fates for ships. Alt-universe Enterprise that went to see nearly the entire galaxy taken by Borgs and be the last survivors, only to die horribly when alt-Ryker tried to refuse returning to his dimension and got the thing shot and exploded for his troubles also seems bad.

Kibayasu posted:

I don’t think he ate a guy (maybe nibbled a bit) but he certainly tore the guy apart (while he was sitting at the helm, somehow)

I'm pretty sure I remember them finding an eaten guy lying around that presumably Worf could've been responsible for.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

- Inner Light, as mentioned
- Cause and Effect, if the crew started to remember all the months they apparently spent exploding and dying
- It’s not exactly the same thing, but the Voyager episode where they find out they’re just jello copies of the real crew and nothing matters because they’re just xeroxes
- Again, not the same thing, but any episode like Conundrum where the crew is implanted with false memories or given amnesia. That’s some hosed up poo poo to live with afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can't remember, in Parallels, are there any other Picards?

There's a book with a Q plot I read when I was a kid and I don't remember what or why the alternate universe was the way it was but Jack Crusher was there and Q drove him insane by telling him that in all the multiverse, he's the only being who only exists in exactly one. I think it's the book where Tremaine is a Q