Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Where's the dlc begin? I assume I even have it. I see two extremely cheap 2v1 battles unlocked after the last boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Bring up the world map (same way you change difficulties after you beat the game), there should be three new areas available to do so you just do the first one to kick it off. If you can't see those areas, then you still gotta do the epilogue which is the little boat in the corner of the area map you beat the game in.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Spoiler Warning: More Nioh 2 News!

Apparently for the next eight weeks till release we'll be getting weekly updates from Team Ninja of stuff in Nioh 2. The above link has a lot of stuff so if you're trying to be spoiler free don't even LOOK at the url cause it's a spoiler.

The new Yokai designs are goddamn on point, it's like they're leaping out of the crazy art of old to curse your rear end for a thousand years.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm gonna try to avoid spoilers because I love being surprised by crazy visuals, but given the time period the game takes place in, I'm assuming a younger Nobunaga shows up. If they reveal anything about him being mustache-less, please post it in the thread so I can cancel my preorder.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope Nobunaga has a role like Ii did in Nioh.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Kelley's plan was so hilariously dumb in Nioh.

Behold! The most ruthless overlord in all- wait stop where are you going

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Kelley's plan was so hilariously dumb in Nioh.

Behold! The most ruthless overlord in all- wait stop where are you going

The funniest part is that's the second time he just assumed things would go his way and no one plays along.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WecbPjqclX8

quote:

We have three major downloadable content releases planned, with each focusing on a different storyline that pre-dates the events of Nioh 2, promising hours of additional gameplay that will provide plenty of challenge for those thirsting for more.

Similar to the original Nioh, players can expect new weapons, new combat abilities and new characters, with each downloadable content incorporating both multiple main and sub-missions.

The three downloadable content packs are included in Nioh 2’s Season Pass, which forms part of the game’s Digital Deluxe Edition (now available for pre-order). In addition to the main game and downloadable content, you’ll also get premium in-game items such as the Demon Horde armor set and Kodama Netsuke Charm.

For players who purchase the Nioh 2 Special Edition, in addition to the main game and Season Pass, you’ll receive an exclusive SteelBook case and “The Art of Nioh 2” booklet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, they're doing an English dub for this one? I liked how the old one did it with everyone speaking their own language. Of course this one likely won't have any non-Japanese speakers(aside from maaaybe Yasuke).

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

RatHat posted:

Huh, they're doing an English dub for this one? I liked how the old one did it with everyone speaking their own language. Of course this one likely won't have any non-Japanese speakers(aside from maaaybe Yasuke).

It does kinda gel with how in the beta they actually translated the names of the armor pieces instead of leaving them in romanized Japanese. I personally kinda liked how it was done in the first game, even if it was kinda inconsistent at times.

At the same time, I think part of why it worked in the first game as because we were playing a foreigner. It kinda makes sense for everything to be translated if we are playing, presumably, as someone born and raised in Japan.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Replaying this in the leadup to the sequel. Haven't touched it since it was new so all the dlc content and free patches have got me swimming in new poo poo. Mostly using odachi, but like do the newer weapons have uniques as well? I'm being buried in unique katanas and I'm wondering when or if fun odachi and tonfa are coming?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Replaying this in the leadup to the sequel. Haven't touched it since it was new so all the dlc content and free patches have got me swimming in new poo poo. Mostly using odachi, but like do the newer weapons have uniques as well? I'm being buried in unique katanas and I'm wondering when or if fun odachi and tonfa are coming?

The katana just happens to have more uniques I think. The odachi came with the first DLC but I'm sure you get unique ones of lesser power before that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

JBP posted:

The katana just happens to have more uniques I think. The odachi came with the first DLC but I'm sure you get unique ones of lesser power before that.

Cool, I'm switching to doing katana and odachi, cause I was raising heart for more ki anyway.

Does anyone know if npc phantoms have special drops? And if there's a list for them somewhere. I'm fighting everyone I see but curious if there's any worth farming.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nioh 2 is also getting a Last Chance Trial right before the game releases. Feb 28th to Mar 1st.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/nioh-2-last-chance-trial-demo-set-for-february-28-to-march-1

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Nioh 2 is also getting a Last Chance Trial right before the game releases. Feb 28th to Mar 1st.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/nioh-2-last-chance-trial-demo-set-for-february-28-to-march-1

I remember when Saints Row 3 put out an early demo with a character creator that carried over so you could spend hours making your video game person look just right and still just right into the game on release. I'm glad to see someone else is carrying on the tradition.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm playing through this game again to celebrate the release of Nioh 2. Any advice for the Kusarigama? Any must have skills/combos?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

fadam posted:

I'm playing through this game again to celebrate the release of Nioh 2. Any advice for the Kusarigama? Any must have skills/combos?

Whichever skill works like Scorpion's spear is really strong against human opponents, you can combo it into a powerful high stance attack for tons of damage. You can cheese some of the harder human bosses with it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

fadam posted:

Main benefit of the kusarigama is it’s rapid attacks make applying elemental effects really easy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

also dope animations

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

fadam posted:

Blade spin is insanely good

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

MMF Freeway posted:

Blade spin is insanely good

Yeah this. I mained kusarigama my first playthrough but wound up getting bored with it because blade spin is so good it almost makes the rest of the moveset irrelevant

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Playing through this finally and man the difficulty feels incredibly uneven to me. Regular enemies are pretty trivial once you've seen their moveset, but the bosses have fuckin' enormous health pools and their attacks are incredibly strong and feel very hard to avoid. Honestly having more trouble with some of these early bosses than I did with most Souls bosses, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It almost feels like you're meant to co-op most of them, but maybe I'm just not progressing correctly in terms of build / grinding out levels, etc.?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Don’t forget the last chance trial for Nioh 2 starting on the 28th and going until the 31rd! Looks like at least 1 new area and boss.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Honestly the trick for bosses is to just cheese them. The game gives you a lot of tools to do so and the bosses feel balanced around that. Stacking two different elemental effects applys a debuff that basically lets you stun lock them into oblivion. That plus a weakness and a sloth talisman will make things much easier

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

quoted instead of an edit gdi

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Playing through this finally and man the difficulty feels incredibly uneven to me. Regular enemies are pretty trivial once you've seen their moveset, but the bosses have fuckin' enormous health pools and their attacks are incredibly strong and feel very hard to avoid. Honestly having more trouble with some of these early bosses than I did with most Souls bosses, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It almost feels like you're meant to co-op most of them, but maybe I'm just not progressing correctly in terms of build / grinding out levels, etc.?

It can be a hard game if you play it fair/naive but it provides a panoply of options for cheese. If you haven't done so already I would recommend dabbling in magic enough to get sloth talismans to begin with, adding those alone can carry you a long way.

efb

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

RatHat posted:

Don’t forget the last chance trial for Nioh 2 starting on the 28th and going until the 31rd! Looks like at least 1 new area and boss.
Apparently you can carry your character’s appearance into the retail game. That means you have several days to perfectly customize your beefy hunk, fake girlfriend, nightmare abomination, or pixel-perfect Tom Selleck. I might even try playing it if there’s time.

Edit: I liked the previous demo but wasn’t prepared for the mechanics after being away from the first one for so long. After I was done with Sekiro I made the hard transition into a full replay of Nioh and finally feel ready for Nioh 2. I am sure the changes from the first beta to the second beta/retail will be as stark as the original too.

The feedback was either taken very seriously or they had made the exact same conclusions internally. I hope they simplify at least one of the many new systems and mechanics a bit. Just make the crystal things an armor slot and drop the cleansing, fusing, upgrading stuff. Make them weapon gems. Just not a whole top-level menu at the shrine.

Edit 2: for the poster finding the difficulty unpredictable, my biggest get-good moment was deciding to block more and dodge less. Parries are all over the place depending on your weapon but blocking is massively better than taking a hit. You may get one-shotted by a boss but can almost-for-sure block it for ki damage. Really helped me focus on stance changes and combo timing, instead of dying instantly from a badly timed dodge with no armor.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 28, 2020

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I am far from a Nioh expert, but I do agree with cheese being effective. I mainly played dual swords. There are two moves that will deal with 95% of situations. Sign of the Cross for yokai or random mook enemies, and the shrike parry for tougher humans. You'll be doing a lot of parries while farming marobashi, for instance.

Keep your dual swords up to date and you'll be fine. In NG I pretty much just wore the highest level WotW armor pieces I could find.

Once you get to harder difficulties you can get a yasakani magatama, which allows for much more useful set combinations. A master swordsman + kingo combination took me through the rest of the difficulties very easily.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I didn't totally complete the game because I skipped on those impossible 1v2s after the logical last boss. Then I started playing sekiro where everything is as difficult as that

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am far from a Nioh expert, but I do agree with cheese being effective. I mainly played dual swords. There are two moves that will deal with 95% of situations. Sign of the Cross for yokai or random mook enemies, and the shrike parry for tougher humans. You'll be doing a lot of parries while farming marobashi, for instance.

Keep your dual swords up to date and you'll be fine. In NG I pretty much just wore the highest level WotW armor pieces I could find.

Once you get to harder difficulties you can get a yasakani magatama, which allows for much more useful set combinations. A master swordsman + kingo combination took me through the rest of the difficulties very easily.

Yeah dualies has some pretty fun moves, kind of a combo between the power of a single katana and the speed of the kusarigama. You can do this with any of the weapons, but finding/building cool combos is the most fun I had with the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmyjZXAaak&t=10s

Mid Stance Parry > Sheathe swords for giant charge-up X slash > ground stab > High Stance Windstorm :circlefap:

Glad I finally checked this thread again, just in time to try the Last Chance demo this weekend. Have they said anything about a PC release yet? I remember we all thought it would never happen for the first game and welp.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Chiming in to say dual swords are the best weapon type in this game

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Is the vanilla katana cool or wack. I was thinking about starting with it in 2 but now I’m not sure. I played kusarigama and odachi in 1

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Vanilla katana is incredible. Backwave is the best parry in the game, sword ki just deletes dude's stamina, and honestly you could beat the entire game with just iai quickdraw.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The katana owns. My first run was 95% flowing robes and katana with a little spear thrown in for spice.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Is the vanilla katana cool or wack. I was thinking about starting with it in 2 but now I’m not sure. I played kusarigama and odachi in 1

The only weapon I consider worst than the rest is the Axe, and it's still far from unviable. Single sword has the benefit of having many more gear options than the other weapons though.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

All the weapon types are really well balanced honestly. It just comes down to which ones feel the best for you

E: axes do feel a little lacking though, I agree. Some people seem to really like them though so it's probably just a playstyle thing

Revins fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 28, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The dual axes in Nioh 2 feel...weird. It almost seems like they're designed for cheesing enemies from a distance.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just finished my first playthrough last Sunday, and I switched what weapon I was using after every main mission to keep everything in rotation. They're all super viable and fun to use.

Side thought, Suzaku is busted good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7fqblXCDg

Unfinish3d posted:

Chiming in to say dual swords are the best weapon type in this game

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Don't actually use the PS4 store very often, do I have to do anything to download the demo or should it just appear at some point tomorrow? Was hoping I could preload it tonight but doesn't look like it.