Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't find that too implausible given eventually pretty much every human ever to live on Earth is the ancestor of all of humanity or none of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't find that too implausible given eventually pretty much every human ever to live on Earth is the ancestor of all of humanity or none of them.

This is true. I can trace an unbroken line to Charlemagne... But so can a million other people if they have the data. Doesn't make me special in the slightest.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

D. Ebdrup posted:

The thing about Atreides descending from the ancient empires doesn't come from the non-existent writings of the failson; it's from GEoD as that book references Ashurnasirpal as the guardian that Leto II selects to avoid being possessed (by a more malignant personality, at any rate), and that was the name of a couple of kings of Assyria around 1000 B.C.

I'm trying to think of any personalities more malignant than the average Assyrian ruler, and there aren't that many.
(What are your opinions on flaying, for business and/or pleasure?)

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm trying to think of any personalities more malignant than the average Assyrian ruler, and there aren't that many.
(What are your opinions on flaying, for business and/or pleasure?)

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Rime posted:

I'm annoyed that "7000 year old cyborg-savant in cometary orbit dispensing world-shattering technologies until killed by religious ideologues" was thrown out in favor of...the KJA trashfires. This is a very Herbertian idea.

If we can't have Holtzmann zooming around an elliptical orbit just shouting dopplering mad science truth at the near apsis, what is even the point of all this dune bullshit?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009
That chronology looks exactly like something ancient Chinese historians would cook up to justify that these steppe nomads are the actual successors of the Great Empire that has existed in its exact modern shape without ever changing for thousands of years.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Heather Papps posted:

we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins

Ahah, I completely forgot about that quote. The Assyrians were really into flaying.

Goldreallas XXX posted:

That chronology looks exactly like something ancient Chinese historians would cook up to justify that these steppe nomads are the actual successors of the Great Empire that has existed in its exact modern shape without ever changing for thousands of years.

Five ten thousand years of Galactic culture!!!

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Question: Are there any male POV in the last 2 books apart from Teg? Does Duncan get any POV in Heretics or Chapterhouse?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
There's some brief sections during his training/escape in gammu and then in the no ship.

Everything else in the books is nonstop PIV for Duncan, I'm afraid.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bubblyblubber posted:

Can you blame him, considering the combination of BG & Honored Matres Parana bindu techniques? I'd be nonstop PIV too. Well, if I weren't lying on the floor somewhere on Giedi Prime a few millennia earlier with a missing heart plug, which, let's face it, is a far more likely outcome for me if I were in the Dune-iverse

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bubblyblubber posted:

There's some brief sections during his training/escape in gammu and then in the no ship.

I lol'd

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Admiralty Flag posted:

Can you blame him, considering the combination of BG & Honored Matres Parana bindu techniques? I'd be nonstop PIV too. Well, if I weren't lying on the floor somewhere on Giedi Prime a few millennia earlier with a missing heart plug, which, let's face it, is a far more likely outcome for me if I were in the Dune-iverse

I seem to remember there were a great few pages way back in this thread, where everyone worked out what their character would be in Dune. (Most people settled on "corpse" or "peasant" or "fat celibate navigator" I think)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bubblyblubber posted:

a good post

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

I seem to remember there were a great few pages way back in this thread, where everyone worked out what their character would be in Dune. (Most people settled on "corpse" or "peasant" or "fat celibate navigator" I think)

I'm Guild Vacuum Technician #3 in the throne room scene

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm a Caladanian farmhand slave making GBS threads myself to death in a rice paddy with horribly liquid diarrhea from a trivially preventable disease. No fremen witnesses my demise, probably for the best for all of us.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

SIGSEGV posted:

I'm a Caladanian farmhand slave making GBS threads myself to death in a rice paddy with horribly liquid diarrhea from a trivially preventable disease. No fremen witnesses my demise, probably for the best for all of us.

How much will that particular shipment of pundi rice sell for, do you think?

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

The one that falls over behind the navigator tank?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

SIGSEGV posted:

Poor water discipline

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I’m the guy who holds the microphone for the other guy

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm the Fremen lady at the end who's like "what the gently caress is this poo poo" when it starts raining.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm the Fremen lady at the end who's like "what the gently caress is this poo poo" when it starts raining.

kiimo posted:

And how can this BEEE

For he is the Kitchen Counterach

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

SIGSEGV posted:

The Atreides don't keep slaves. Although I'm p sure serfdom is still a thing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm a pug

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pretty sure nobody's allowed to be the pug. The pug is too powerful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm a sandworm

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

i'm an ant, on old terra

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I’m a horned up axolotl tank technician

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I’m a horned up axolotl tank technician

my DMs are open

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"Can you gently caress the Axolotl tank? Buddy, they don't even let ME gently caress the tanks!

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's implied they know where Earth is but it's not really considered too important, basically like people treat Africa. Also it's probably ecologically turbofucked. (though they could possibly fix that)

It's also implied Leto II enforces accurate history books? Not sure how publicly available those are made, though he does show active displeasure against deliberately inaccurate historians. His whole regime seems implied to be a deliberately smothering yet fragile tyranny that's designed to collapse without him at the centre.

Always thought it was hilarious about how obviously real peevish Frank was about lovely historians, taking aside a few paragraphs to talk about defenestrating historians who suck at their jobs or whatever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm the third guy in the line of dudes in robes and heart plugs, wondering if I could take the clothes hoem.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I'm DUNCAN-00102... kill... me...

I'm DUNCAN-02154... kill... me...

I'm DUNCAN-08921... kill... me...

I'm DUNCAN-10009... kill... Muad...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

so u persecute the zensunni just because they have different beliefs? do tell

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the Fedaykin. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:hmmyes:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Posts have dried up, must be good posting discipline

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vlex posted:

Posts have dried up, must be good posting discipline

post without rhythm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

The Bloop posted:

post without rhythm

You won't attract the ban