Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

colonelwest posted:

I really love these little glimpses into the Sisyphean hell that is CIG. Your president and CEO, the head of 500 people and 5 studios, literally sitting next to you micromanaging clothes designs for NPCs on a single planetary body in star system 1 out of 100, 8 years into development. Oh and those NPCs, they do absolutely nothing but walk into walls and stand on chairs while T-posing.

It's interesting how both we and the pledgebase keep referring to the 100 systems, when CIGs actual goals have been scaled back to 5-10. CIG is an enormous beneficiary of having everyones dreams still scaled up to max, even though they have quietly conceded its not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Please release SQ42, please. I can't stan it hard enough.

I want it. I want to put any actual release into a press and drink it.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's interesting how both we and the pledgebase keep referring to the 100 systems, when CIGs actual goals have been scaled back to 5-10. CIG is an enormous beneficiary of having everyones dreams still scaled up to max, even though they have quietly conceded its not going to happen.

Yeah they’ve spent most of the past 2 years quietly trying to scale back expectations. But they still never come out and say that some insane promise from the past is never going to be done. They’ll always try to fudge it somehow. Like they’ll say that 100 star systems are still coming!.. Just in some dim post-“release” future.

You can see the devs squirm under questioning as they’d love to say that 90% of the poo poo that dribbled out of Chris’ mouth between 2012 and 2018 can’t possibly be done in a real video game; but they bite their tongues and say some future iteration beyond the current “tier 0” will have it all someday.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

K8.0 posted:

Things that should never be in the patch notes for an unreleased game that is not about prison.

Well here's the thing with prison gameplay.

You set a timer on a player so they can't open some door until it expires, then you build a huge and pretty level around it.

Gameplay: Some timer

Everything else: Looks great in screenshots and you can talk about it like it's huge gameplay features

The bonus for "appearing to make progress" vs "skill required outside of art" is tremendously in favor of this.

Also, they realized this timer can go into other things. Like survival mechanics and eating food. Everybody loves this kind of game! Sim management at its finest!

Meanwhile you have things like fun space combat, getting >50 people in your "mmo", and building out whatever "science" was that you sold to people 5 years ago, or you work on your ship that's supposed to be a news camera van that transmits live video feeds to the whole game... well these are harder than "implementing a timer" gameplay elements. :)

I look forward to all of the timer-based gameplay we're about to see tons of appear!

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

TheAgent posted:

also I love the idiots going "buy in, ITS A GREAT TIME TO BUY DONT SELL" as they hold onto vastly overpriced shares

lol stock citizens

So with the Dow Jones plummeting and stock markets across the world losing their minds because of COVID-19, we should be investing in the only thing that holds its value.

Ships. Buy ships.
Buy a Carrack.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Lol crying about $25 skins.

Laughs in Path of Exile skin prices...

Remembers that PoE is one of the good ones, laughs harder still!

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

You set a timer on a player so they can't open some door until it expires, then you build a huge and pretty level around it.

Everything else: Looks great in screenshots and you can talk about it like it's huge gameplay features

The bonus for "appearing to make progress" vs "skill required outside of art" is tremendously in favor of this.

Also, they realized this timer can go into other things. Like survival mechanics and eating food. Everybody loves this kind of game! Sim management at its finest!

Meanwhile you have things like fun space combat, getting >50 people in your "mmo", and building out whatever "science" was that you sold to people 5 years ago, or you work on your ship that's supposed to be a news camera van that transmits live video feeds to the whole game... well these are harder than "implementing a timer" gameplay elements. :)

I look forward to all of the timer-based gameplay we're about to see tons of appear!

Can’t wait to starve to death in space jail because a pirate spaceship spawned in the building and smashed the guard before he could bring me food.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's amazing how citizens will constantly repeat things that have long, long been publicly changed or debunked as if they were gospel.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

No Mods No Masters posted:

Blaming your own brain for not allowing you to behold the full glory of star citizen is at least a new one, and I have to respect it

This is the kind of quasi-experience I expect from a video game made for children set in a fantastical science fiction universe where complex things like "how does gravity work?!" is hand waved away with such logic as "gravity goo in the pipes".

I'm just not a deep enough thinker to appreciate the grandness of Star Citizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

I see that you have been blessed by never having had to attend a "boss pet peeves meeting". Basically everybody sits on their chair whispering "please god not me, not me" under their breath, while their (completely unqualified) boss goes "mmhhh, mhhhh, yes, mhhh... actually, Johnson could you please explain the reasoning behind this belt buckle?". So now Johnson is it and everybody gets ready to pile up on him and his stupid, ugly, useless, piece of crap buckle. Oh, you will rue the day you set foot on this meeting Johnson, you and your stupid buckle, if we can keep the boss occupied chewing your rear end he won't have time before lunch to focus on whatever the gently caress it's we did. It's not personal Johnson, there is nothing actually wrong with your buckle, you were just unlucky.

You made the mistake of mentioning lunch. When you do these meetings just before lunch you will never end at lunch. The boss will always say "I know we're running over, if anybody needs to leave you can." And nobody leaves or says anything and the meeting continues until the end of lunch, where you have another meeting already scheduled so you just miss lunch. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

I think the gameplay may be in...

So.. turns out Carrack has SIX holding cells/a brig! If a player is closed into one of the cells near the weapons lockers on the Subdeck, they cannot let themselves out! Another player is required to release them. #GibMeFreedom

Oooohhh poo poo! The kinky sex dungeon is ... ACTIVATED!!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

It seems you haven't been playing games on this decade. This is how it works:

You set a timer on a player so they can't open some door until it expires, then you tell them that they can skip the timer if they pay 800 prison bucks. You can buy 700 prison bucks for 10 dollars.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

That's because Star Citizen has already been released. At any point they can up and say "we're done providing updates to this game! Our vision has been met and thousands of people have enjoyed it for years! Please visit our next project for an exciting new vision at https://www.starcommander.com/fundus"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

It seems you haven't been playing games on this decade. This is how it works:

You set a timer on a player so they can't open some door until it expires, then you tell them that they can skip the timer if they pay 800 prison bucks. You can buy 700 prison bucks for 10 dollars.

You're right. :)

I forgot the part where you continue to get free money from suckers any way you can! How silly of me to forget a CIG core value!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hot action.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Am I the only person really angered by their use of gib instead of give

They sound like a bunch of 12 year olds inventing new cute words

marumaru
May 20, 2013

owo gib ship uwu cwis wobwerts gib moar stupid poo poo to spwend my money on :3

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

SoftNum posted:

Wait wait.

The AI gets an Idris before players? What the gently caress Crobberts! If it's ready for AI, it should be ready for players right? I mean we aren't CHEAATING are we? Clearly all AI ships act exactly like all player ships, and therefore much be built out fully to operate correctly.... right? Surely we aren't cheating and letting the AI control the ship directly.... Right?

:reddit: AI Idris mission coming in 3.9!! Blow her up or board her?

:eng99: They already said it will have no interior for this exact reason.

:( If that's true, that's loving sad.

:saddowns: That's true idriss interior isn't finished yet and yes that's sad

:argh: then what the gently caress's the point

:shepspends: Cause it's not ready for that but at least we can see and fight one in the mean time?

:argh: with how clunky ship battles actually are i don't see this as a feature.

:homebrew: That's a pretty pessimistic view but alright. We're not talking about a Buccaneer that's tough to hit because it's a bit jittery, this thing is a flying building.

:v: Lols. At this point, releasing a hollowed out shell of an Idris flown by CIG's laughably terrible AI is absolute peak CIG.

:lol::lol:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 29, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So Warframe's devs are cancelling their big con for the year or at least postponing it due to outbreak concerns. A whole bunch of game devs are doing this where possible, actually. Guess who's not, so far?

Inacio posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand all the progress we made with the whole "why isn't CIG adding gameplay" thing is gone.
clever bastards.

There's all sorts of missions "In the game." There's a mission "In the game" right now to go shoot-mans on the super yacht. All of about 7 people have actually played it, because:

1) The mission system is impossibly, irretrievably broken

2) There's next to no information out there about how to actually trigger any of these things

3) The reward for literally hours of in-game work is like, 1/100th of a starter ship or whatever.

So I mean, bring on the Idris as far as I'm concerned. Let's pack the loving game with tons of content that nobody knows about or can see, all for the benefit of the screenshot brigade

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit::

Pissed About Friday's Lack Of Progress Update? STOP DONATING MONEY!
The only way they'll hear us who back Star Citizen is if we stop paying $600 for ships and demand a finished product.

--Genuinely, if your that pissed, ask for a refund or sell your ships on the grey market but don’t tell the rest of us what to do with our own cash.

--Yes, because ensuring they run out of funding is the best way to get them to rush something unfinished and full of bugs to market.
You seem to misunderstand the difference between buying a game and backing an artistic vision you hope to share in someday.

--As someone posted today, they apparently keep having record breaking months, so this idea isn't happening anyway.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Star posted:

:reddit:: a podium-worthy performance of mental gymnastics
"Star Citizen is actually incredibly fun and feature-complete! The reason it feels boring and hollow is because the human mind actually cannot comprehend how much fun you're having."

e: I will say that he's at least half-right in the sense that if you have played Star Citizen to the point that things have started to feel routine, there is definitely something fundamentally wrong with your brain.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

The Super-Id posted:

Can’t wait to starve to death in space jail because a pirate spaceship spawned in the building and smashed the guard before he could bring me food.
looking forward to playing space dwarf fortress

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fidelitee the Mystery Dev

Fidelitee’s a Mystery Dev: he’s called the Chosen One—
For he’s the master criminal who can collect the funds.
He’s the bafflement of Scotland Yard, the Flying Squad’s despair:
For when the latest deadline's reached—Fidelitee's not there!

Fidelitee, Fidelitee, there’s no one like Fidelitee,
For he’s a fiend in garbage shape, a monster of depravity.
You may meet him at the Citcon, you may see him in the square—
But when the patch day comes around, Fidelitee’s not there!

Fidelitee, Fidelitee, there’s no one like Fidelitee,
He’s broken every human law, he breaks the law of gravity.
His powers of levitation would make a backer stare,
And when you finally see the game—Fidelitee’s not there!
You may seek him in the spaceship ramps, you may look up in the air—
But I tell you once and once again, Fidelitee’s not there!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue On Blue posted:

Am I the only person really angered by their use of gib instead of give

They sound like a bunch of 12 year olds inventing new cute words

I personally love this, as originally it meant something entirely different in action games (like Quake, TF2) and it completely fits the situation. They hosed up Carrack (and SC) to pieces.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
trump

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

No farting in the thread.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

With the announcement of the 3.9 "Idris" mission I thought it might be educational to review the state of mission gameplay. Here's my attempt to actually do some missions, event by event. I've tried to leave any editorializing out of this one.

Mission 1: Go kill an enemy spaceship around Yela
1) I jump to Yela. On arrival, my game crashes. I relog and am offered the opportunity to rejoin my instance. I select "Yes" and nothing happens. I eventually log back in to a generic wankpod. My ship must be reclaimed. Also, I note that my little HUD player-damage-indicator is missing its torso and right leg. They're just gone.

Mission 2: Go patrol an asteroid field
1) This mission says it isn't for solo players. I don't have much of a choice- it is literally the only mercenary mission available to me.
2) The mission giver is inside an asteroid. He tells me to patrol a series of waypoints and kill anyone I see- thrilling.
3) On reaching the first point I am immediately jumped by 4+ enemy ships. All of them fire missiles, I die instantly. Not for solo players, indeed. Guess I should have spent a few hundred more dollars.
4) When I respawn and wait out the ship reclaim timer, the mission is still active for me. However, my HUD navigation page isn't working anymore. It just doesn't bring up anything at all. I have to navigate back to the moon where the mission was at by dead reckoning.
5) On the way there, I hit ESC to go to the keybinds and look up how to fire countermeasures. This immediately crashes the game to desktop again.
6) Rejoin actually puts me back in my ship this time, but the mission has disappeared.

Mission 3: Assassinate some guy
1) It takes me about 10 tries before my quantum travel button actually works. I have to get out of my pilot's seat, clear my waypoints, get back in, reset them, etc before it finally jumps.
2) When I get to him, I lock and fire a missile. There is no sound, no missile firing animation, and no contrail. There's just a fireball on his ship eventually.
3) We fight and I win. I am now guilty of firing on an innocent, destruction of property, and homicide. My crime stat is instantly at like 80% of maximum. I cannot land at any legal station and will go to space jail or what the gently caress ever if I die.
4) Mission payout: 4k credits.

Mission 4: Assassinate some other guy
1) On arrival at this guy's location I am immediately attacked by security ships despite being in completely empty, lawless space.
2) I kill them. I am now at 100% maximum illegality.
3) Mission payout: 4.5k credits.

And with 4 missions behind me and multiple restarts, after like an hour of "Gameplay," I can now actually afford to buy:
a single gun and some ammo which will be lost instantly if I die

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

slur talk was 10 pages ago, you Pachyderm!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

!raffle

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Also, I note that my little HUD player-damage-indicator is missing its torso and right leg. They're just gone.

Even the UI elements are trying to flee this sinking ship.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Well guys all of this Carrack hype and talk of a white paint job for $25, has finally pushed me over the edge. I am a Star Citizen now. I bought two Carracks, one for me and one for my soon to be Ukrainian wife. Unfortunately the potato harvest on her family farm was bad this year, so she can’t make it to the US for a few more months. But when she gets here, I can’t wait to do some couple’s touring in our matching white Carracks! Really, they were a bargain at only $1250.00. It’s much less than the money I’m sending each month to her via her brother Boris who lives in Russia, and what I’ve been spending on hair plugs, testosterone supplements, and various erectile dysfunction remedies. Anyway I can’t wait to show off all of my girls in the ‘verse! (Carracks and the new wife tehehe!)

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's amazing how citizens will constantly repeat things that have long, long been publicly changed or debunked as if they were gospel.

When you try and challenge them on some things they will say they voted for it.

Game taking years to release? Voted for it!

Full planets rather than limited landing zones? Voted for it!

They never actually voted for those things.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

When you try and challenge them on some things they will say they voted for it.

Game taking years to release? Voted for it!

Full planets rather than limited landing zones? Voted for it!

They never actually voted for those things.

Well they kinda voted with their wallets. They kept buying $700 ships after every dumb decision.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lobsterminator posted:

Well they kinda voted with their wallets. They kept buying $700 ships after every dumb decision.

poo poo! I've been checkmated!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

poo poo! I've been checkmated!

It happens. Star Citizen is the only game where the person who declares checkmate immediately loses, so don't feel too bad. Same with victory laps.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Probably because a lot of people actually pledged for 100 systems and that's a written thing that at least Kickstarter can remind them of and they can always refer back to -- there's even a feature in Kickstarter where you mark your pledge as "delivered" or leave it as pending. I don't know how much weight / impact that actually has, but :lol:

CinotG is also intentionally being vague and making confusing statements so that people still find a small ledge to hang on in the hope for this being the amazing space game they dream of.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:toot:

:homebrew:

:laffo:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I hate those jackets.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

I’m excited for the Miles High club, where you get all 4 jackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

This stuff's probably already shipped US side, so it's just a limited amount.

Which means, wash it first.

Cuz, y'know, imported from the Pacific side of things where *cough cough* things are happening.