Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also report to your nearest People's Commissar for re-education for taking a holiday in Tuscany.

e: Actual legit advice, check your bookings/travel arrangements to see when the latest date is that you can cancel without penalty (or without the penalty increasing) and make your decision then - it's entirely possible that in 4 weeks time this will have all blown over and you'll feel silly for cancelling, or that it turns out the virus is made much more deadly by light drizzle and casual racism and you'll need to flee the country.
well it likes moisture and it handles the cold well so that's the uk a bit hosed, good luck stopping football fans from gathering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm booked to visit Singapore in mid March. Can't refund the hotel so I mean to go, the risk is about the same as here anyway. But BA cancelled both my flights today, partially rebooking to another day. Possibly just reducing flight numbers in response to demand dropping.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well it likes moisture and it handles the cold well so that's the uk a bit hosed, good luck stopping football fans from gathering

It's been joked about in TRP but if they end up postponing/cancelling this season and denying Liverpool the title it would be the funniest of all the various hellworld possibilities.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bornbytheriver posted:

Could any of you good folk give some advice to a pea brain.

If you had a week booked in Tuscany at the end of April, would you go or would you cancel it? I really don't want to, but the folks at work told scared the poo poo out of me.

Thank you.

if it's practical for you to self-isolate for 14 days after returning (if you wouldn't be potentially exposing a partner and/or children and if you'd be allowed the time off work being the issues that immediately come to mind) I'd probably go and spend as much time as possible in the countryside

definitely agree to leave the decision as late as possible though

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Camrath posted:

As a former public school boy I can safely state I never saw a game of soggy biscuit
Frigid you lad. I'm a champion.

Kin posted:

The advisor we're speaking to said he tried to look up comparable house prices and couldn't find anything concrete, but said he thinks our house has dropped in value by about 10k since 2 years ago (it's a new build in an estate that's not quite finished but all the houses have been snapped up).
It's a new build, so much like a car, it's dropped a few quid since you bought it because the next owner is buying a 'used' house vs buying the actual identical new build up the street. However capitalism is a massive ponzi scheme amazing so your used new house is still worth more than you paid for it so enjoy your paper profit!

In my (limited) experience, provided it's +/-100k, you can get a valuation for whatever you want. Want to IVA? It's worth £250k. Want to remortgage and release equity? Great it's worth £450k. Scummy system.

Especially if you're staying in the same house, I can't imagine them being that fussed. Provided you're not saying your house has gone up £100k in 12 months for no reason, they won't even send anybody out. Say you put in a new kitchen and bathroom idk.

RockyB posted:

The two minute, semi-drunk recap of IR35.
Great insight, thank you. Do you have any knowledge/experience of people (not me...) contracting for EU countries but being paid in £ and charging VAT, then paying minsal + dividends? Is (not me) hosed?

EvilHawk posted:

We're expecting to lose up to 80% of our contractors.
Is there no backlash from these (assumedly) Tory middle class high earners because they lost their cushy income? Seems as foolish as going after pensioners?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I heard him on the radio talking about being duped by his now ex mate into getting recorded saying labour weren't going to win. I think hes a pretty genuine bloke. But he does not support the right people always so hes kind of losing on points.
He sounds good on the radio. That's basically my référence for any politician now, and he was good. Just checking here now for his politics, faster than a google.

Xeno fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 29, 2020

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also report to your nearest People's Commissar for re-education for taking a holiday in Tuscany.

e: Actual legit advice, check your bookings/travel arrangements to see when the latest date is that you can cancel without penalty (or without the penalty increasing) and make your decision then - it's entirely possible that in 4 weeks time this will have all blown over and you'll feel silly for cancelling, or that it turns out the virus is made much more deadly by light drizzle and casual racism and you'll need to flee the country.

:lol:

The British Airways have offered a refund minus the cancellation charge. Expedia luckily have offered to refund hotel bookings. The plan was to spend time walking outside Bologna and a couple of days in Florence. At first I was like hell no, I am not cancelling, Florence without tourists, get in. But then, after seeing people locked up in hotels for days, I realised that I really can't afford to get stuck anywhere.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Depending how much you've spent, and whether you have travel insurance, why not wait until/unless the Foreign Office says not to go in which case insurance would probably pay up.

Keep an eye here:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/italy

That's the thing, I kept an eye on the FCO's website all week and their advice is kinda lovely.

I never buy travel insurance, maybe I should reconsider this approach.

There does not appear to be a lot of cohesive information. I mean there is information, but it looks like the BBC, for one, is more concerned with the loving FTSE 100 dropping below something-something, who gives a poo poo.

Thank you all for your advice.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bornbytheriver posted:

:lol:

The British Airways have offered a refund minus the cancellation charge. Expedia luckily have offered to refund hotel bookings. The plan was to spend time walking outside Bologna and a couple of days in Florence. At first I was like hell no, I am not cancelling, Florence without tourists, get in. But then, after seeing people locked up in hotels for days, I realised that I really can't afford to get stuck anywhere.

That's the thing, I kept an eye on the FCO's website all week and their advice is kinda lovely.

I never buy travel insurance, maybe I should reconsider this approach.

There does not appear to be a lot of cohesive information. I mean there is information, but it looks like the BBC, for one, is more concerned with the loving FTSE 100 dropping below something-something, who gives a poo poo.

Thank you all for your advice.

Given you've not got insurance, and you'll get all except BA cancellation charge if you cancel now, then cancel now and you can stop worrying. I've a good friend who is stuck in a small town not far from Florence not knowing what to do with herself (she's Italian but lives in Middle East and was visiting when this struck). You can go another time.

Just checked out the spanish flu (which killed more people after WW1 than WW1 itself).

Following from GDT's comment about it possibly burning out, I recalled something similar with the spanish flu from the early 1900s. It disappeared very rapidly. Not sure if this counts as a version of a flu but maybe the same for viral infections.

quote:

End of the pandemic
After the lethal second wave struck in late 1918, new cases dropped abruptly – almost to nothing after the peak in the second wave.[58] In Philadelphia, for example, 4,597 people died in the week ending 16 October, but by 11 November, influenza had almost disappeared from the city. One explanation for the rapid decline of the lethality of the disease is that doctors got better at preventing and treating the pneumonia that developed after the victims had contracted the virus; but John Barry stated in his book that researchers have found no evidence to support this.[14]

Another theory holds that the 1918 virus mutated extremely rapidly to a less lethal strain. This is a common occurrence with influenza viruses: There is a tendency for pathogenic viruses to become less lethal with time, as the hosts of more dangerous strains tend to die out[14] (see also "Deadly Second Wave", above).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu#End_of_the_pandemic

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 29, 2020

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Oh, Jaeluni Asjil, so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she makes out of Italy safely and in good health.

I am going to cancel.

Flu is a bitch. In 2002 I was living in Uzbekistan, the authorities did not report the spread of the bird flu. One day after work I felt suddenly super weak, I could not stand, keep my eyes open and my entire body felt like it was burning. I just crashed in my bed and told my mates that I wasn't feeling well. I don't remember anything except that a couple of times there was a nurse in the flat administering IV and I remember a couple of times my friends brought food and tried to convince me to eat. I came back to being fully aware that I was just laying there in 15 days' time and I was so weak that I couldn't even walk or sit up for more than 10 minutes for another good week. I don't remember anything what happened during that 15 day period except for the IV and food things.

Stay safe and healthy, comrades.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xeno posted:

Is there no backlash from these (assumedly) Tory middle class high earners because they lost their cushy income? Seems as foolish as going after pensioners?

A friend of mine used to be a supercontractor, earning sums crazed enough that when he moved to a new city he could buy a flat outright without selling the old one and keeping six figures in the bank, but he's still staunchly anti-Tory.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

go watch dr john campbell's youtube videos on covid-19. he started looking into it near the end of january and has had daily updates on it from a uk perspective.

he started out optimistic, then the data rolls in and peer-reviewed journals highlight how serious this is. such as equivalent studies on coronaviruses have them surviving on surfaces from 5-28 days... conservatively. or pet transmission is incredibly likely.

hospitals are not prepared for this many respiratory cases at once, that's where the death toll will come. oh and you're infectious for days before and after you feel ill. he's rather dismissive of hand sanitiser as well so don't rely on the alcohol helping unless its a long soak.

i'm 3 weeks behind on videos and he's already saying a pandemic will happen and who/cdc are acting irresponsibly. looking forward to his videos covering the past few days

e: https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/about

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 29, 2020

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Jedit posted:

A friend of mine used to be a supercontractor, earning sums crazed enough that when he moved to a new city he could buy a flat outright without selling the old one and keeping six figures in the bank, but he's still staunchly anti-Tory.
What's his forums username?

edit: what did he vote?

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Nice one, Wiggly Wayne DDS.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

if anyone watches the videos keep track for the first week of how many times he says things are interesting, surprising or concerning. then track how many times he hopes it's stuck to poorer healthcare countries (like the US which is confirming multiple unknown cases all of a sudden...). the case studies he goes through are interesting as it doesn't fit the pattern of what you'd think of with getting the flu.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Xeno posted:

Great insight, thank you. Do you have any knowledge/experience of people (not me...) contracting for EU countries but being paid in £ and charging VAT, then paying minsal + dividends? Is (not me) hosed?

Last I heard UK registered companies working with (providing services to) overseas engagers were explicitly excluded. For a given value of trusting HMRC. (I would link here but http://contractoruk.com is giving me a 504 and I cba)

Jedit posted:

A significant proportion of well paid, moderately intelligent people are rabidly left wing. Because we realise that the current setup is massively bullshit, but are lucky enough to twist it in such a way that it benefits us. See: David Graeber, Bullshit Jobs, et al.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Comrade Fakename posted:

Man the panic over Coronavirus I’m seeing from Americans is kinda bonkers. Like it will probably be bad, but it will pass, and the vast majority will be fine.

Eh, not really just them, other places are closing schools, Saudi Arabia has ceased admitting 'Umrah pilgrims (Both a big deal spiritually but also for them economically, given how much the Saudis bring in from pilgrims), enacting curfews, etc. etc.. Seems like pretty much everyone is some degree of bricking it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I love the title of this article:

BBC News - Most graduates still gain financially from degrees

Because it's all like hurray! About half of uni students (once dropouts are accounted for, which, judgementally as typical, the BBC and government don't even bother mentioning) still benefit from university!

Instead of: Hurray! We managed to gently caress up higher education to the point where it's not even net positive for close to half the people who engage in it!

It's loving atrocious.

e: The complete and absolute silence on the impact of tuition fees on people who drop out especially gets to me.

It's all "oh should not have been such a useless skiver", why would we care. Not, say, struggled with mental health issues, which is behind most people dropping out.

Now before anyone gets judgemental about me, I didn't drop out myself and in fact graduated with a comfortable 2:1 without too much effort. But I definitely know plenty of people who dropped out, mainly because of mental health issues.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 29, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The title earlier was the lede that 20% are worse off. I presume someone got a talking to and the more positive headline was rotated in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Only 20%? I don't regret going to uni at all but I doubt I'd have been earning less today if I didn't go (three years in the job market would have been a good leg up) and I'll still be paying the student finance guys for the next decade at least.

I would've thought a lot more than 20% are in that position.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I assume this has been posted, but still...

https://mobile.twitter.com/PickardJ...1130%23lastpost

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah but the economic growth was never going to be paid into the NHS either way.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm about 90% sure I would have been better off mentally and financially if I had been a plumber, gently caress university.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm booked to visit Singapore in mid March. Can't refund the hotel so I mean to go, the risk is about the same as here anyway. But BA cancelled both my flights today, partially rebooking to another day. Possibly just reducing flight numbers in response to demand dropping.

I’m booked to go to Bangkok for Song Kran
My flatmates seem to think I should cancel. So expect the locks to be changed when I do get back

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ianvisits/status/1233677906729209858

A brief return to trainchat - this is how you fix capacity problems on the WCML. Might need a bit of tweaking for high-speed running.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

stev posted:

Only 20%? I don't regret going to uni at all but I doubt I'd have been earning less today if I didn't go (three years in the job market would have been a good leg up) and I'll still be paying the student finance guys for the next decade at least.

I would've thought a lot more than 20% are in that position.

It presumes the same job, so that might be why.

Still would've thought it's more.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1233692011452039168

JFC the state of the comments under this

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

he';s going to sue the government too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Viscious.

Very goopy and also harsh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he did it live on tv lol

https://twitter.com/ashcowburn/status/1233699638877859842?s=20
https://twitter.com/ashcowburn/status/1233701018019471362?s=20

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I hope they somehow both lose. Priti is terrible but you don't have a high up home office job without being a racist piece of poo poo

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So another reason for my house price not dropping is that Three just did something weird and have activated 5G in my relatively tiny town (Gorebridge) despite not even having it active in Edinburgh.

The three stores can't help me access it because they don't even have the equipment for it in Scotland yet.

That being said, they told me that the sim card I got with them for 4G broadband recently is also able to access their 5G network at no extra charge. I just need any 5G equipped router whether it's theirs or not.

Does anyone know of a decently priced one I could get or are they all going to be super expensive due to how new it is?

I'm keen to see just how good the 5G connection is before settling on it at this point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kin posted:

So another reason for my house price not dropping is that Three just did something weird and have activated 5G in my relatively tiny town (Gorebridge) despite not even having it active in Edinburgh.

The three stores can't help me access it because they don't even have the equipment for it in Scotland yet.

That being said, they told me that the sim card I got with them for 4G broadband recently is also able to access their 5G network at no extra charge. I just need any 5G equipped router whether it's theirs or not.

Does anyone know of a decently priced one I could get or are they all going to be super expensive due to how new it is?

I'm keen to see just how good the 5G connection is before settling on it at this point.

TP-Link AC1200 is highly rated and will set you back £60.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jedit posted:

TP-Link AC1200 is highly rated and will set you back £60.

You got a link to one that uses sim cards for accessing 4G/5G networks? The few i've seen on Amazon don't specifically mention that or if they do, they only mention 3G/4G.

Kin fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 29, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Philip Rutman chat:

Can't believe the number of people saying it's good that he's gone (I have no view on him personally at doing his job), and the civil service should essentially learn who is boss and 'we the people' voted for the tories not the civil service to run the country.

Walking into tyranny and 'we the people' don't give a poo poo.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I guarantee those same people have no idea Cummings is a civil servant.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/steffanblayney/status/1233704613532008448?s=21

Pretty :stare: article.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That’s some straight up Victorian style nightmare fuel right there.

Welcome to hell world 2020 I guess.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

He wants to be careful, touching his face like that.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
well that's loving grim

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/SteveDoherty1/status/1233711759149686784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007