Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gonadic io posted:

Won't...that just make the spread worse?

Yeah but shareholder value!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

gonadic io posted:

Won't...that just make the spread worse?

Probably but if a teacher is quarantined and for whatever reason they think their students wouldn't have gotten it from them then the school can be kept open with other teachers in megaclasses rather than having to have the facility close due to lack of staffing and the resulting economic impact of parents having to stay home with children etc. It's explicitly about increasing risk to groups to maintain economic activity.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Watch stock markets continue to crash as Boris' cabinet of failures and creeps makes things worse.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
its okay guys theyll definitely cut back on hours workers will be forced to do once the virus is gone

if only they were in some kind of multi national alliance where other countries could help with relief funds and aid to lessen the impact

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
As I recall British teachers are paid garbage on top of all this too right?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

the average brit is about as smart as the average american so im guessing yes

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Grape posted:

ABout £22k for a newly qualified teacher. My sisters partner is doing teacher training and all the teachers on his placement warned him off lol

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

my prediction for 2024: labour will undergo pasokifacation by 2024, and George Galloway will be PM, and make cat girls real, and bomb the free Masons of brussels into the stone age

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Johnson and his partner going to have a child soon, bringing his total progeny to six maybe seven, we don't know since he can't say for certain how many he has.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
The PM of the UK literally is not sure how many children he has.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

PawParole posted:

my prediction for 2024: labour will undergo pasokifacation by 2024, and George Galloway will be PM, and make cat girls real, and bomb the free Masons of brussels into the stone age

:hai:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

marktheando posted:

ABout £22k for a newly qualified teacher.

That is so insanely terrible I can't even process it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are there any nations that actually pay teachers well

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

in my country they're not exactly well-paid, but it's not crazy either - a teacher with a master's starts at a decent clip above median wage and has a reasonable salary progression. i'm pretty sure this is also the case in the rest of the nordics. what our teachers are mostly complaining about is being made to write all sorts of useless documentation and reports, classical neoliberal nonsense stuff

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Let me put it this way. You guys pay teachers worse than Mississippi.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think you underestimate how bad wages are here generally

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I figured people do the teacher training then go abroad to some “English” school and make mad bank while learning to make moonshine in a bath tub

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Canada

you’re not rich, but you don’t have to worry and pension and benefits are great. plus a ton of time off

consequently, we have too many teaching degrees and not enough jobs

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

britain has had literal decades of basically zero real-term wage increases for most people and at least one decade of no-poo poo wage cuts lol it's a stupid as gently caress country

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

I think you underestimate how bad wages are here generally

the only insight I’ve heard into this is that lots of industries in London are kind of frozen right now because nobody can really afford to pay assistants and entry level employees and nobody can afford to live off those jobs anyway so there is both a shortage of jobs as well as a lack of pay. How much worse is it?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Robo Reagan posted:

the average brit is dumber than the average american so im guessing yes

Brits chose more pain after a decade of Tory failure. Americans chose Trump after Obama being generally bad.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

PawParole posted:

Saint George will return. Inshalla.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Starting at £22k with relatively secure employment prospects and a pay scale you're guaranteed to climb with experience is better than most graduates lmao

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
a new teacher in Berlin makes about €60k :)

(and Berlin teacher salaries are the lowest in Germany, although the progression differs)

oliwan has issued a correction as of 10:14 on Mar 1, 2020

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

oliwan posted:

a new teacher in Berlin makes about €60k :)

(and Berlin teacher salaries are the lowest in Germany, although the progression differs)

A friend of mine is a teacher in Berlin and he makes more than literally any engineers in my Peer group that I know. I was expecting pretty good salary but when he told me what he gets after taxes I was still floored.

Also there are many many teacher positions still unfilled, people are switching to teaching from engineering and other jobs because you currently have a job guarantee more or less.

So yeah, Germany atm.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jel Shaker posted:

I figured people do the teacher training then go abroad to some “English” school and make mad bank while learning to make moonshine in a bath tub

Either that or if you're of the right stock you go to train the next generation of Imperial bureaucrats at some sort of private school even though there's been no Empire in so many decades these people are incapable of changing. Like if you're at Eton College teaching you'll be earning over £60k for starters (and according to their accounts for 2014 there were 2 earning at least 3 times that which I assume is the Head & Deputy Head. There's 20 in the £90k-£99,999 bracket)

State teaching in the UK is a thankless job taking advantage of people's passion & decency: poorly compensated with miserable hours, a poo poo curriculum and at least half the people I know who have given up within a handful of years because it just wasn't worth it. Which seems like a problem but that's Britain for you, a stupid country run by loving morons.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

oliwan posted:

this is strange to us in UK - teachers are paid more in London than elsewhere because living costs are higher in the capital. what gives?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Heavy_D posted:

this is strange to us in UK - teachers are paid more in London than elsewhere because living costs are higher in the capital. what gives?

Berlin is different than other European capitals and teacher remuneration is state dependant. Also, in Berlin teachers are public employees while in other German states they are "Beamte", which has a lot of knock-on effects with regard to remuneration.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Kinda shocked that the UK isn't worse than that.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I bet smaller countries like Estonia, Ireland and Austria are really far down this list.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

City states moreso one would think

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

Kinda shocked that the UK isn't worse than that.

Yeah I thought we were far worse than anywhere in the EU for having most of the wealth concentrated in one horrible giant depressing city.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So newly qualified German teachers make more than some head teachers in the UK lmao

My German friend said I should do teacher training and then move to Germany and get a job in an English language school, poo poo I really should do that. Will Germany still let people from this cursed island move over in 2021?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

marktheando posted:

So newly qualified German teachers make more than some head teachers in the UK lmao

My German friend said I should do teacher training and then move to Germany and get a job in an English language school, poo poo I really should do that. Will Germany still let people from this cursed island move over in 2021?

those are salaries for fully qualified teachers at public secondary and primary schools. Fully qualified in this context also means German at C2 level.

Teachers at (most) private schools make (much) less.

Teachers at "language" schools (so not public and not an actual secondary or primary school) make next to nothing.

oliwan has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Mar 1, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit post!!!!

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Sneak Lemming posted:

I bet smaller countries like Estonia, Ireland and Austria are really far down this list.

Austria is on the list

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

I Love Loosies posted:

Austria is on the list

ah yeah so it is, this makes me wonder how strictly they are defining the city limits. London vs Greater London are two very different things

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

oliwan posted:

those are salaries for fully qualified teachers at public secondary and primary schools. Fully qualified in this context also means German at C2 level.

Teachers at (most) private schools make (much) less.

Teachers at "language" schools (so not public and not an actual secondary or primary school) make next to nothing.

When you say next to nothing, do you mean by German standards or UK ones haha. I'm not sure if we mean the same thing talking about English language shoots, my friend said there are international schools where all the teaching is in English.

Also please let me live in your country

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

marktheando posted:

When you say next to nothing, do you mean by German standards or UK ones haha. I'm not sure if we mean the same thing talking about English language shoots, my friend said there are international schools where all the teaching is in English.

Also please let me live in your country

I'm a Dutch living in Berlin op, Germany is most definitely not "my country", although Berlin is my city :)

Yeah, I thought you were talking about English language schools in the sense of private institutions where you can learn the English language. Teachers make nothing at those and the are basically all "freelancers".

There are indeed international schools where the teaching is in English, but those are all private institutions and you will make less than at a public school, especially in the beginning... but maybe still more than in the UK. I don't know about the rest of Germany, but there are a couple of international schools in Berlin, but its not easy to get a job there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
One other thing is that Berlin is relatively cheap to live in compared to other European capital cities

Athens is the biggest % of GDP on that list and 1/3 of Greece lives there, if I remember correctly half of Ireland lives on Dublin so would not be surprised to see it off the bottom of the chart.