Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whenever Picard is not on screen, the other characters should be asking “where’s Picard?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Picard died on the way back to his home planet

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Given how old Stewart is that is probably on the cards for season 2 or so.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
"I never imagined de-assimilation could work on this scale"

"the borg don't change"

coming from the first person to ever be de-assimilated, and to play a part in successfully changing a borg drone who is IN THIS EPISODE, as well as personally knowing a drone who was de-assimilated who spent a significant amount of time de-assimilating other drones, that seems kind of inconsistent

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Admiral Bosch posted:

"the borg don't change"

coming from the first person to ever be de-assimilated, and to play a part in successfully changing a borg drone who is IN THIS EPISODE, as well as personally knowing a drone who was de-assimilated who spent a significant amount of time de-assimilating other drones, that seems kind of inconsistent

Tell that to First Contact Picard.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Admiral Bosch posted:

"the borg don't change"

I'd take that as personal changes with some exceptions do work.
Doing it as a deborgification conveyor is other level.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

RLM of all folks really hit the nail on the head here. TNG Picard and movie Picard are fairly different characters and this show is drawing from the movie version more.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I'd take that as personal changes with some exceptions do work.
Doing it as a deborgification conveyor is other level.

It's not 100% either given Soji trying to put together a unified therapy base for them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Powered Descent posted:

I liked the scene where Soji walks the Pattern underneath Castle Amber undertakes the Zhal Makh meditation. Good stuff, and probably the first scene with Narek that I liked.

Man I'm glad someone else thought of the exact same thing here haha. It make me want to go back and re read those books big-time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Removing people from the collective was a big deal, until Voyager made it super routine. Especially with the Unimatrix Zero episode. I'm glad they are at least once again acknowledging that it's a major process.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

marktheando posted:

you're right, first contact picard is also wildly inconsistent with respect to the growth that tv show picard went through

edit: in seriousness this was the first episode i actually liked so i'm only poking fun. it's cool to see Hugh and Picard interact again, i'm really surprised by how much i like Elnor... honestly i like everyone except Raffi. i haven't figured out yet whether it's raffi i dislike or the idea of raffi... which just means i don't like the characterization of the federation as a whole.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 29, 2020

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

RLM of all folks really hit the nail on the head here. TNG Picard and movie Picard are fairly different characters and this show is drawing from the movie version more.

He's past the years where he can plausibly be "action Picard" so it's hard to say there, but I feel like they can stick the landing if they follow through and address that Picard is still in the mode of a Starfleet Captain and asking impossible "Scotty" work from people who don't have the resources of the Federation flagship. He's pumping Raffi to the point she'll self-destruct, and it's possible he put Hugh in a deadly situation due to his reverence for Picard.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Not sure if anyone talked about this over the last few pages but the scene where Picard is Googling Borg stuff and his face is superimposed with that of Locutus was a loving cracker shot.

You could almost hear the showrunners turning to everyone that's been complaining about the generic "future" transparent screens and saying "it was for THIS, okay? THIS shot is why we did that."

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Honestly that whole scene with Raffi calling her friend was really good acting on her part. Her face when her friend told her not to call her again told like 3 stories at once.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Dietrich posted:

Honestly that whole scene with Raffi calling her friend was really good acting on her part. Her face when her friend told her not to call her again told like 3 stories at once.

Agreed, Michelle Hurd is doing a really good job. Taken completely in isolation, Raffi is even a pretty decent tragic character. The trouble comes with fitting her into the rest of the show, which is awkward at best.

*stands up and claps*

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

piratepilates posted:

One of them is Stewart, one is a Roddenberry descendent, etc. Some of the exec producers don't have a lot of day to day responsibility but are there for money, or just for control over the franchise (i.e. Roddenberry)

Here's a breakdown of all the producer credits the show has on imdb:

Executive Producer: has the most sway in terms of decisions, bigger piece of the pot, some of them can be thought of more like chairmen of the board than day to day creative people
Patrick Stewart ... executive producer (11 episodes, 2020-2021)
- titular character, the show wouldn't exist without him agreeing to it, so he can negotiate for a big piece of control

Michael Chabon ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
- showrunner

James Duff ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
- works on Star Trek: Discovery, and has a teleplay and story by credit on the pilot

These two basically set the whole thing in motion:
Akiva Goldsman ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Alex Kurtzman ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)

Heather Kadin ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
- part of Kurtzman's production company

Rod Roddenberry ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
- son of Gene Roddenberry

Trevor Roth ... executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
- part of Roddenberry Entertainment

Co-executive Producer: lower down the totem pole (technically higher up, the bottom section of the totem pole is technically the most important since it has to bear the weight of the rest) than exec producers, but manage the rest of the crew. More likely to be running the writing room directly.
Douglas Aarniokoski ... co-executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Aaron Baiers ... co-executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Sam Humphrey ... co-executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Damani Johnson ... co-executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Dylan K. Massin ... co-executive producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Hanelle M. Culpepper ... co-executive producer (3 episodes, 2020)

Supervising Producer: kind of like a step above writers
Kirsten Beyer ... supervising producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Ralph Gifford ... supervising producer (10 episodes, 2020)
Jason Michael Zimmerman ... supervising producer (10 episodes, 2020)
April Nocifora ... supervising producer (10 episodes, 2020)

Associate Producer: does odd jobs for the showrunner, etc.
Robyn Johnson ... associate producer (10 episodes, 2020)

Consulting Producer: does consulting for the show but may not be day to day, and may not have direct sway on what happens
Jenny Lumet ... consulting producer (10 episodes, 2020)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Why does Patrick Stewart have one more (presumably unaired) episode than everyone else?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I just want to chime in that I like the way the designed the Borg cube interiors with the cosntantly-changing walls and things floating around.

I just finished Control recently so seeing a little bit of the Oldest House weirdness going on inside the cube is a pretty fun coincidence.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

enki42 posted:

Why does Patrick Stewart have one more (presumably unaired) episode than everyone else?

He's a wizard.

(not actually a spoiler)I bet it's just an imdb oddity, like the series already being renewed for season 2 and the first episode for it being listed or something

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I really enjoyed this week's episode :unsmith: I think it's the best one so far and probably the only one that genuinely felt like a continuation of TNG and its world

Also I know it's called 'Picard' and not 'The Next Generation 2' but couldn't it kill them to at least have more TNG elements in it? Even the spaceships and interiors look nothing like TNG and there's a seriously disappointing lack of TNG characters

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 29, 2020

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hope that when the time comes for them to explain why Worf of all people didn't get to go with Picard on his badass one man mission they just slowly pan the camera away from the conversation so we never get to hear it

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I hope that in keeping with all post-1995 TNG media, Worf just appears one day on the ship with only a single line at max to explain why the hell he's there.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I really enjoyed this week's episode :unsmith: I think it's the best one so far and probably the only one that genuinely felt like a continuation of TNG and its world

Also I know it's called 'Picard' and not 'The Next Generation 2' but couldn't it kill them to at least have more TNG elements in it? Even the spaceships and interiors look nothing like TNG and there's a seriously disappointing lack of TNG characters

I mean people complaining about how orville looks itt should answer that question for you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Even the spaceships and interiors look nothing like TNG

Suddenly I'm picturing La Sirena with wall-to-wall carpeting, tasteful wood trim, soft lighting, potted plants, and comfortable little micro-lounges at random spots in the corridors, and it's WONDERFUL. :allears:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Give me sunday-morning jazz beige aesthetic trek you bastards

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

I hope that when the time comes for them to explain why Worf of all people didn't get to go with Picard on his badass one man mission they just slowly pan the camera away from the conversation so we never get to hear it

Ah, the Insurrection Maneuver. Always a classic.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Worf: It was Alexander's Q'asludat, I cannot miss it! I was a bad father for 30 years, but honor requires that I make up for lost time and cannot join in your quest, Admiral Sisko's quest to prevent the wormhole aliens from destroying all life in the galaxy, nor Admiral Janeway's quest to kill Neelix

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I like La Sirena's interior because its industrial feel seems appropriate for its size, even though it's post-scarcity

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the interior kinda works since it looks like most of the functional parts of the ship are that one big hallway with the warp core at one end and the cockpit at the other.

It would've made a bit more sense to have the cabins fixed up nicer though.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Removing people from the collective was a big deal, until Voyager made it super routine. Especially with the Unimatrix Zero episode. I'm glad they are at least once again acknowledging that it's a major process.

That episode pissed me off so much. How the hell did those 3 get out of it without some MASSIVE physical and mental trauma. The borg butcher the heck out of you as part of assimilation.

Picard's physical well being I can get since the Enterprise could get him to proper medical support, but Voyager didn't have that lifeline at all.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 29, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

piratepilates posted:

lower down the totem pole (technically higher up, the bottom section of the totem pole is technically the most important since it has to bear the weight of the rest)

I love that you tossed this little tidbit in there. :eng101:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I love that you tossed this little tidbit in there. :eng101:

The "low man on the totem pole" thing turns out to just be a saying Fred Allen popularized, but has no basis in Native peoples tradition of totem poles.

"http://nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/771%22 posted:

It is not possible for a person who is ignorant of the ceremonial context in which the pole was raised to be able to “read” the pole as if it were a glyphic or pictographic presentation of myth or history. While the poles are erected in commemoration of certain events, the poles are not narrative in character, but rather they symbolized the rights validated by the narratives recited at the time of erection.

The figures on a totem pole are arranged from top to bottom, but the sequence of the figures is not an indication of their importance. The concept of “low man on the totem pole” is not an expression of Northwest Coast culture as position on the pole is not an indication of rank.

https://www.woot.com/blog/post/the-debunker-is-it-bad-to-be-the-low-man-on-the-totem-pole

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Epicurius posted:

This all happened right after the Dominon War, right, which saw the invasion of multiple Federation planets, including the homeworld of some Federation species, like the Betazed and Benzar, as well as an enormous death count. I can sort of see, even before the Mars attack, a lot of Federation planets and citizens say, "Maybe we can not be the big drat heroes for once and let somebody else save the day, while we deal with the immense costs of rebuilding and mourning our dead?"

I think a lot of people who consider themselves fans of Trek are managing to ignore that the Federation, and most of their neighbouring powers, were brought to their knees by the Dominion war.

It explains everything from planets saying "gently caress no we aren't giving our resources to the loving Romulans, they didn't want to help us, oh and also they are still a threat" to them needing to build an evacuation flotilla at Mars specifically for the the attempt. And also why a conspiracy would have been able to turn the synth uprising and loss of that flotilla into, to paraphrase the Rear Admiral from Dunkirk, "we need our ships back".
Without requiring endless exposition it is something that should be easily reasoned by anyone familiar with the setting.

And also Starfleet has always been depicted as a quasi-fascist Bad Ideas factory. So nothing we've seen has actually been surprising.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, the interior kinda works since it looks like most of the functional parts of the ship are that one big hallway with the warp core at one end and the cockpit at the other.

This past episode really helped sell me on that layout. We had the lounge area at the bottom of the stairs behind the bridge, and Rios doing soccer stuff at the aft end. That makes the whole space seem lived-in. It also adds a sense of openness that helps stave off the natural reactions to being in enclosed spaces. I spend most of my day indoors and looking at things that are within arm's reach. Going outside for a smoke gives me the chance to be in an unconfined space where I can focus on things far away. It's good for my eyes and good for my head. Never mind the tobacco use.

On none of the ships we've ever seen on the various shows are you ever going to have more than a 30 or 40 foot distance from the farthest thing you can see; outside of the holodeck or maybe a few sections of corridors. One job I had, the main seating area was 80 feet by 40 with windows at the back and high ceilings. We had two columns of desks down the middle with a few pillars being the only break in the space at all. That was a lot nicer than the cramped, enclosed spaces, with twisty corridors I work in now.

On reflection, I can very much vouch for the layout on the La Sirena as being a good one for a starship.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think a lot of people who consider themselves fans of Trek are managing to ignore that the Federation, and most of their neighbouring powers, were brought to their knees by the Dominion war.

It explains everything from planets saying "gently caress no we aren't giving our resources to the loving Romulans, they didn't want to help us, oh and also they are still a threat" to them needing to build an evacuation flotilla at Mars specifically for the the attempt. And also why a conspiracy would have been able to turn the synth uprising and loss of that flotilla into, to paraphrase the Rear Admiral from Dunkirk, "we need our ships back".
Without requiring endless exposition it is something that should be easily reasoned by anyone familiar with the setting.

The problem is the show doesn't say any of that, which is a bit unforgivable given they spent three entire episodes on Earth not moving the plot forwards an inch. There was plenty of time to have one scene between Picard and some Starfleet contemporary who stayed in where they argue the decision out. Picard talks about moral obligation and the other guy says there were a dozen crises within the Federation and the fleet had still been shattered by the Dominion War and when Mars burned and there were no more ships coming there were tough choices to be made.

It's a five minute scene at most. But it would have added conflict and nuance rather than make everyone who opposes Picard look like a dumb racist.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Maybe they're afraid of introducing too much continuity, but there is precedent in that TNG mentioned the pre-series Cardassian War and DS9 mentioned a pre-series war with the Tzenkethi in a way that I wasn't sure for a moment if I'd missed something

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

And also Starfleet has always been depicted as a quasi-fascist Bad Ideas factory. So nothing we've seen has actually been surprising.

Except the Romulans very much did help turn the tide of the war?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

galenanorth posted:

Maybe they're afraid of introducing too much continuity, but there is precedent in that TNG mentioned the pre-series Cardassian War and DS9 mentioned a pre-series war with the Tzenkethi in a way that I wasn't sure for a moment if I'd missed something

I also think the showrunners don't want people to bogged in continuity and are to an extent trying to minimize explaining everything because they feel it would make the show inaccessible. I feel as if they are trying to move Star Trek forward and have Picard bridge to a new future more classic Trek?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

socialsecurity posted:

Except the Romulans very much did help turn the tide of the war?

Powers that only enter into a conflict when they themselves are attacked often foster resentment among their new allies who have been in an existential struggle for some time.

Why would anyone in the Federation think any better of the Romulans who were happy to watch Federation planets burn when they thought they were okay?

Edit: Oh also that time after the Dominion War but only eight years before the crisis at hand, that the Romulans were headed to destroy earth.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 1, 2020

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

piratepilates posted:

Here's a breakdown of all the producer credits the show has on imdb:

Thanks for breaking it down. Still seems a bit crazy to me that half the opening credits are producers, but maybe I just don't watch enough prestige TV.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I thought the random Borg yelling "Hey Locutus" as they ran toward Soji was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zushio posted:

I thought the random Borg yelling "Hey Locutus" as they ran toward Soji was amazing.

Heeeeyyyyyy, brother Locutus