Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Part of it is also just "what are you used to." I remember when Dragon Age Origins came out I needed to hold the tab key so much my hand started to cramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Castle 5 in SMW is bad and unfun

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I broke out MGSV again this weekend after it's come up here a few times lately, and I just want to praise it again for its dedication to making sure your customizations and equipment carry through all visuals and cutscenes. Want to go back to the beginning and let the legend come back to life, only this time decked out with color-coded late-game equipment and riding a demon horse? It's got ya. Every game should be so good.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Hygiene posted:

I broke out MGSV again this weekend after it's come up here a few times lately, and I just want to praise it again for its dedication to making sure your customizations and equipment carry through all visuals and cutscenes. Want to go back to the beginning and let the legend come back to life, only this time decked out with color-coded late-game equipment and riding a demon horse? It's got ya. Every game should be so good.

Sleeping dogs did that and it was hilarious to have Wei show up in a luchador mask, or a full on cop outfit.

Then there's Dragon Age: Origins;

Incidentally I've started playing DA:O again and as much as I enjoy it, the little innate problems stand out to me a lot more now. Like Arcane Warriors, my absolute favorite class. They don't have innate access to weapon talents like two-handed weapons or dual-wield so no matter how cool they are, they'll never be as good a fighter as a warrior or a rogue, and they'll always be a kind of gimped mage too because you don't actually use much magic with them. Thankfully on the PC version I can tell the game to go gently caress its self and use console commands to cheat and now I'm a dwarf magewarriorrogue.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Whoops, gently caress. Uh, that's the little thing....dragging many other games down :smug:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I just beat Breath Of The Wild again and I noticed the three dragons don't seem like they were fully.... implemented? Like outside of cleaning the blight off the ice dragon they only really exist to drop rare resources. It's odd for a game to have something so attention grabbing and not make it a central focus or give a bigger reward for interacting with it. Like maybe do a big quest and each dragon gives you a piece of a cool outfit or something.

No really a complaint, just an odd design choice.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They were probably some dev's pet project but ended up getting truncated during development for time

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

I just beat Breath Of The Wild again and I noticed the three dragons don't seem like they were fully.... implemented? Like outside of cleaning the blight off the ice dragon they only really exist to drop rare resources. It's odd for a game to have something so attention grabbing and not make it a central focus or give a bigger reward for interacting with it. Like maybe do a big quest and each dragon gives you a piece of a cool outfit or something.

No really a complaint, just an odd design choice.
I want to gently caress them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PYF Little Things Dragging Me Down

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want to gently caress them.

Morally Inept alt spotted

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Riatsala posted:

Mapping crouch to ctrl seems even more absurd to me than mapping it to c.
It really depends on your keyboard. Smaller keyboards with shallower keys make it difficult to use, but on larger keyboards you can easily press or hold left Ctrl with the base of your little finger without moving your other fingers off WASD.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Not a real big fan of the health system in Control

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Riatsala posted:

Mapping crouch to ctrl seems even more absurd to me than mapping it to c.

I always map it to left alt and hit it with my thumb.

Control means I can hit it with my little finger while keeping my middle three on WAD and my thumb on space.

Using alt means moving my thumb under my palm and it's slightly awkward.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Shout out to Red Faction 1 for having the worst grenade mechanics when you pulled out a grenade to throw it it had a long wind up, when you clicked to fire a grenade it had a long wind up and animation, before flying off on a random trajectory and bouncing all over the heck. And no way to cook them as well

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is there a special hell for someone who designs a boss fight that's on a platform suspended over a bottomless pit and makes it so the boss can put holes in the platform causing you to fall to your death because lol you died while dodging an attack?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yes, but only when its fast attacks and instant death.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Is there a special hell for someone who designs a boss fight that's on a platform suspended over a bottomless pit and makes it so the boss can put holes in the platform causing you to fall to your death because lol you died while dodging an attack?

Also the boss is in the air, so you constantly have to look upwards to see what he's doing, so you can't look at the ground to see where you're going

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

It is a good game, I just think that someone at some point decided it should be much harder than it needs to be. The game itself really appeals to the "I want a story and an experience" crowd, while a lot of the boss fights and later things are pretty hardcore.

I got quite far, then there was a boss who kept nuking the ground you're stood on so you fall to your death. I beat him, and thought "Thank God that's over", then I had to fight him a second time, so I quit the game :shrug:
Actually that reminds me of another thing I noticed: all the setpiece boss fights are in optional side missions and the main story just gives you mass combat encounters. I'm gonna quote myself here:

My Lovely Horse posted:

I don't want to speculate baselessly but the whole setup is exactly what I'd expect to occur if playtesting revealed the boss fights were too difficult at the exact point during development where it was too late to redesign them but there was still enough time to just place them somewhere else.
but then those mass combat encounters invariably have too many waves of enemies so I dunno.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Control's health system was frustrating because it combined:

1. No regeneration.
2. Only source of health is killing.
3. Jesse is incredibly fragile.

If you took out a single one of those, it would have been a lot less frustrating. The idea is great, to keep you mobile and active, but the implementation is flawed.

The health system was bad enough, but it was coupled with no checkpoints, long load times, and no difficulty options. I got the platinum but some parts of it really ticked me off.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I picked up The Turing Test on sale and was having an ok time until the end of the second chapter, which suddenly introduces unforgiving timed switches. I'm currently stuck on what is very clearly a training puzzle because between the short timer and the Switch's janky analogue sticks I keep loving up the timing by probably half a second or less. Cannot stand puzzle games that up the difficulty with timers and/or tricky platforming unless they combine it with other mechanics that make trying fun or interesting - it's lazy as hell and not a puzzle.

I don't think I can be bothered to keep going, since this almost certainly means there're gonna be a bunch of timed puzzles and since I only paid £5 for it, the aesthetic & story so far haven't been particularly compelling, and this isn't what I signed up for, I've got no real drive to put myself through a bunch of dull busywork.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

small ghost posted:

I picked up The Turing Test on sale and was having an ok time until the end of the second chapter, which suddenly introduces unforgiving timed switches. I'm currently stuck on what is very clearly a training puzzle because between the short timer and the Switch's janky analogue sticks I keep loving up the timing by probably half a second or less. Cannot stand puzzle games that up the difficulty with timers and/or tricky platforming unless they combine it with other mechanics that make trying fun or interesting - it's lazy as hell and not a puzzle.

I don't think I can be bothered to keep going, since this almost certainly means there're gonna be a bunch of timed puzzles and since I only paid £5 for it, the aesthetic & story so far haven't been particularly compelling, and this isn't what I signed up for, I've got no real drive to put myself through a bunch of dull busywork.

Reminds me of the Riddler stuff in Arkham Knight when working with Selina. Saw blades come charging across the room and she just asks, very annoyed, "How is this even a riddle?" Then when it happens again she blurts out "STILL not a riddle, Eddie!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

small ghost posted:

I'd say you aren't missing too much. It's been a while since I played but at the end I didn't really feel the puzzles were that engaging and if you don't have to wrestle with the controls it's never really all that difficult besides maybe a puzzle/room or two towards the end.

Also the ending was pretty lame. I suppose there's a choice at the end but I didn't feel inclined to check what happens if I try the other thing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Mass Effect Andromeda: we're on a loving ice planet, SAM, please stop announcing every time I go in and out of safe temperatures.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gerblyn posted:

Also the boss is in the air, so you constantly have to look upwards to see what he's doing, so you can't look at the ground to see where you're going

While I didn't notice it, apparently holes in that platform had shafts of light shining up out of them.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds me of the Riddler stuff in Arkham Knight when working with Selina. Saw blades come charging across the room and she just asks, very annoyed, "How is this even a riddle?" Then when it happens again she blurts out "STILL not a riddle, Eddie!"

I haven't played Arkham Knight but I found myself saying that a fair bit during City so I'm fully on Catwoman's side here.

Riddler, I appreciate you've had a weird time of it but please get your poo poo together, I know you know what a riddle is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Control could really use more checkpoints. Rocket tag is fine if you can get back into things quickly

Edit: lol I'm like 90% positive that you can't hit The Anchor for it's first attack. So you have to wait until it decides to rotate in your direction to hit it the first time.

Also it summons those floating bastards you can't throw things at to dodge while also dodging the explosive fuckers and it's near-instant death attack.

Len has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Mar 1, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Rune Factory 4 is giving me quests for stuff I wont be able to do until later in the game and there is no warning or indication that is the case. At first the quests were used as tutorials but then the quests are like "hey I heard you can get a dungeon by growing stuff in the fields outside of town?? I guess?? IDK go clear one or something???". I also got 2 for growing a certain flower that you can't get until you do these growing dungeons, and for some reason those showed up before the quest for the growing dungeon did.

It wouldn't be so bad if you weren't limited to x amount of quests per day, and you could only have 1 quest active. You can drop a quest, but you still lose out on your allowance.

Also the volume of enemies in room is insane, especially if they are using ranged attacks. I've entered a room at full health and suddenly I'm in a shmup and there is 40 different projectiles flying at me and then those projectiles will split into 4 more projectiles and scatter to the 4 winds and I start getting stun locked and I can't move then I'm dead. I've started resetting rooms by leaving and coming back if I see the enemy composition has more then 3 ranged enemies.

E: Also it has salted and shashimi recipes for every.single.fish. This bloats the hell out of the recipe book. The crafting for armor and weapons has a system where it will have a category for stuff, like say "threads" which will accept all types of cloth and spider webbing. And if you use higher quality stuff, it makes a higher quality weapon. They could've put salted fish and shashimi having a catch all "fish" category and using more expensive fish gave a higher grade meal.

Leal has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Mar 2, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why doesn't Mold-1 drop health? Who decided this was good design?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Len posted:

Why doesn't Mold-1 drop health? Who decided this was good design?

It can drop health but you have to get in close to its body to retrieve it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lobok posted:

It can drop health but you have to get in close to its body to retrieve it.

Like into the stuff that hurts you for being near it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Might be able to get it if you levitate?

I didn't end up getting any health drops, only heard about it later. My strategy for the fight was to do it as fast as possible.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I got pretty lucky on Mold-1, I just constantly circled around it, mainly using launch with some occasional grip shots.

Of course, that was with max health/launch/etc. Most of the bosses can be fought way earlier than is comfortable.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I picked up Mortal Kombat X, and I have mostly been enjoying it. I mean, you can play as Jason Voorhees and Leatherface, so that's pretty cool in my books.
What isn't so cool, is the crazy ratcheting up of the AI difficulty as you go along. It goes from "Ok, this is challenging, but not unfairly so" to "Well, I hesistated for a few microseconds at the start of the match, so the AI just combo juggled me and I'm dead".
I'm sure part of it is that I don't play many fighting games, so my timing and reflexes aren't top notch, but goddamn it's no fun getting stunlocked to death before I can blink.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That sounds like every MK I've ever played

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I picked up Mortal Kombat X, and I have mostly been enjoying it. I mean, you can play as Jason Voorhees and Leatherface, so that's pretty cool in my books.
What isn't so cool, is the crazy ratcheting up of the AI difficulty as you go along. It goes from "Ok, this is challenging, but not unfairly so" to "Well, I hesistated for a few microseconds at the start of the match, so the AI just combo juggled me and I'm dead".
I'm sure part of it is that I don't play many fighting games, so my timing and reflexes aren't top notch, but goddamn it's no fun getting stunlocked to death before I can blink.
I don't know if it has the same automatic difficulty adjustment that MK9 had, but that made the difficulty swing wildly back and forth. You win a fight so the next one is insanely difficult. You die a couple of times and now it's stupidly easy. So the next one is impossible. And so on.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Tekken 3 was the last fighting game I learned well enough to be competent against the AI. Half the battle was knowing how to ration your moves so that you were doing them for the first time against the boss. If you did them a couple of times before that you'd just get countered instantly. Killer Instinct on home consoles was terrible for this.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda: we're on a loving ice planet, SAM, please stop announcing every time I go in and out of safe temperatures.
Haha I'm just replaying Andromeda too and was on that planet yesterday. It's even better because a bunch of places are designed for you to frequently go from the cold to those heater bubble safe spots, so SAM is alternating between "temperature below zero and dropping" and "life support restored" constantly (with the corresponding temperature update text in your face) :v:

Technically there's a mod for that on PC but I didn't use it because I like how aggravating SAM can be.

I like MEA with mods much more than the launch version I played, but all the wasted potential drags this game down. I'm not blaming it for killing the franchise though, because it was ME3 that set up the kill.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I wish GTA 5 was a bit better in telling me what of the 8% of the game I didn't do was. I'm not a completionist by nature, but a "you haven't played in ages, this is one of the things you didn't do" would be nice. What's the last amount of hobbies, for example?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

People get so mad at this boss but it's easy because:

1) When the boss is flinging stuff at you, forcing you to look at it to attack it, you don't need to move, just bounce the poo poo back.

2) When it's attacking you by smashing the ground, forcing you to move, you don't need to be looking at it and can instead look where you're going to not fall down a pit.

So you're either not moving, or you're not looking at the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah you pretty much have to look up what's required:
https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/100%25_Completion_in_GTA_V

I think the Rockstar Games Social Club website/profile will tell you what's left, though.

That also makes 100% a completely meaningless metric except for achievement hunters because it doesn't really correspond with either your story or completionist progress (unlike games that either count "do all the story missions" or "do all the optional content and pick up every single collectible").