Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Whatever weird disco compilation they peddled, along with Rick Dees' Disco duck, was on constantly on Cartoon Network

My 5th grade teacher had a turntable in her classroom and a couple of records. One was Disco Duck.

We were listening to Disco Duck in the 1990s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

empty baggie posted:

Supposedly this one is from 1988, but i remember it being played all the time in the early 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3CnvphQs04

Can confirm, bought this via the 1-800 number while drunk in Oakland in 1989.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154664/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
Suck on THAT, YA filthy goons! This movie is entirely based in the 90s!

I think it's safe to say that I have officially won this contest, so what do I win?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vietnamwees posted:

I think it's safe to say that I have officially won this contest, so what do I win?

We're gonna dump a bucket of Nickelodeon Slime on you.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Vietnamwees posted:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

And now over to Mo

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Didn't Lava Lamps make a comeback in the 90s? I still have one that I got for christmas in about 1996.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

Didn't Lava Lamps make a comeback in the 90s? I still have one that I got for christmas in about 1996.

Yes, as part of the 70s revival merging with the retro future revival

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

the best late 80s/early 90s commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7veciQZgYo

Someone donated this to a rummage sale my scout troop would have. We looked at it and was "wait all that poo poo from D&D people actually believe?" and then one of the other scouts got upset because apparently his mom really believed in all that poo poo.

I have to say, Time Life Books were really well made and great bathroom reads. I have inherated my dads collection of WW2 books. Lots of great pictures.

Randaconda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkmWboM6DgM

I remember seeing this one until at least late '90/early 91.

If you're boring rear end white people like us, you'll love Secret Love!

Vietnamwees posted:

I was confused but this does have good 90s nostalgia in the scene where everyone is standing around the computer waiting for it to boot up. We have ALL been there.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm gonna track down a complete set of Mysteries of the Unknown one day, because that was one awesome-rear end set of books.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I'm gonna track down a complete set of Mysteries of the Unknown one day, because that was one awesome-rear end set of books.

Man I had that set growing up, it was incredible. I wonder if it's still in the basement at Mom's place.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can usually find a complete set on Amazon for about 250 bucks or so. I'll take the plunge one day.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I always wish I snatched up the donated set but someone else did first.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

slinkimalinki posted:

Yes, as part of the 70s revival merging with the retro future revival

People in their 30's always start buying nostalgic stuff they couldn't afford as teenagers, which is why fads and styles come in 20 year cycles. That means we're about due for a pop-punk revival leading into nu metal any day now if I remember being in high school correctly.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Uh that was more of a 70s thing.

Original is from 1966.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

OutOfPrint posted:

People in their 30's always start buying nostalgic stuff they couldn't afford as teenagers, which is why fads and styles come in 20 year cycles. That means we're about due for a pop-punk revival leading into nu metal any day now if I remember being in high school correctly.
Nelly tour just around the corner!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OutOfPrint posted:

What do we have to do to swing a revival in t-shirts being worn over long-sleeves?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do we have to do to swing a revival in t-shirts being worn over long-sleeves?

Like all change, it starts with you, Neddy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Long sleeved thermal underwear was what we had.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Nelly tour just around the corner!

I know he wasn't a part of it, but No Limit records is doing a tour right now with most of their original roster. You too can see Master P and Mystikal live in concert in the year 2020.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How can there be a revival if it never stopped?

...in my home anyway

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

How can there be a revival if it never stopped?

...in my home anyway

It's one of those little fashion things that you don't think about until you see people just stop doing it. Now it's a fixture of movies made between 95-05 or so where if the character is wearing two shirts like that it dates it immediately. I'm wondering how long into the 80s there were people still wearing giant shirt collars over the jacket lapel until they realised they're the only ones dressing like that now.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

jojoinnit posted:

It's one of those little fashion things that you don't think about until you see people just stop doing it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Only in the 90s could Cobra Commander ride a leaky Septic Tank into battle with GI Joe.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nothing will ever beat the 90s chicks with black 1" wide chokers. That's peak for me.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Only in the 90s could Cobra Commander ride a leaky Septic Tank into battle with GI Joe.

That's just a slight change to the H.I.S.S. tank! :argh:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ironically the effluence from Hasbro’s factory in Guangdong was a little scarier looking that week.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DrBouvenstein posted:

In clashing neon colors with a syringe "squirt gun" on top!

It's the perfect combination of hideous and lazy!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Nothing will ever beat the 90s chicks with black 1" wide chokers. That's peak for me.

Add a teeny tiny lace-trimmed dress over tight jeans with slightly flared legs and I'm there.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

Add a teeny tiny lace-trimmed dress over tight jeans with slightly flared legs and I'm there.

Little black dress, leggings, and those glasses. First crush best crush.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i still do that. :ohdear:

Iron Crowned posted:

Long sleeved thermal underwear was what we had.

white long johns under black or khaki cargo shorts with black doc martins.
i generally left *that* one behind in the 90s.

Gomi Day has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Mar 2, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OutOfPrint posted:

That means we're about due for a pop-punk revival leading into nu metal any day now if I remember being in high school correctly.
Just had a superbowl commercial with Fred Durst (joke setup was the lady's car had a CD Single of "I Did it all for the Nookie" stuck on repeat) so any day now.

I think their drummer made fun of one of those 90s Cruises they did, talking about how it would be stuffed full of frat boys smelling of AXE and midlife crisis.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Antioch posted:

Little black dress, leggings, and those glasses. First crush best crush.

Lisa Loeb is still in the hearts of many nerds.

Also mainstreaming being a brunette with glasses as attractive.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I just found out that archive.org has VHS rips. Here's that Matthew Perry/Jennifer Aniston Windows 95 video:

https://archive.org/details/Microsoft_Windows_95_Video_Guide_1995_Uncut_VHS_x264_Aw.mkv

The whole vault is linked here: https://archive.org/details/vhsvault

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

And she's still as cute as ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0txh3p5Jlg

I remember my older sister asking me if I thought she (Lisa Loeb) was pretty when the I Miss You video was new. This was before I had really gone through puberty. I remember saying "No! She looks like a dork!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The WB/CW network used to be a goldmine for that in the 90s and 00s because whatever clothing sponsors they had would put the most ridiculous poo poo on the actors. Buffy/Charmed was the pinnacle.

OutOfPrint posted:

Where you been old man? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK-8TCDrbV8

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

And she's still as cute as ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0txh3p5Jlg

I remember my older sister asking me if I thought she (Lisa Loeb) was pretty when the I Miss You video was new. This was before I had really gone through puberty. I remember saying "No! She looks like a dork!"

I remember a LOT of girls in high school suddenly wearing their glasses and stopped bleaching their hair after that video came out. I also had one of those "yep, I'm super into this" moments.

I keep wondering if we will get 90s Nostolgia. Because of the internet, a lot of it is preserved and kept in the minds of people. There isn't as much "Oh remember this?" from the 90s as there is with the 80s. I could see some kind of NYSNC/Blackstreet Boys concert tour where Justin comes back or something.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

mind the walrus posted:

The WB/CW network used to be a goldmine for that in the 90s and 00s because whatever clothing sponsors they had would put the most ridiculous poo poo on the actors. Buffy/Charmed was the pinnacle.

Where you been old man? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK-8TCDrbV8

Jeez, I kept waiting for the rap verse but nope. That could have been released in 1998 and everyone would look exactly the same.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I can’t handle Travis Barker’s super exaggerated drumming. He could play that same exact song with 1/4 of the movement he actually does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

:yeah:

Even during the 90's glasses and brunette was still coded as unattractive. Remember She's All That? You know that movie where they make Rachel Lee Cook attractive by removing her glasses?