Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Getting excited before the market is even open?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The market can't decide what to do.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

#relatable

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

LLCoolJD posted:

Dammit, I was hoping for a red open going into green thought the day.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Volatility is in the 30s and 40s. You’re going to get moves to the upside and downside in pretty wild swings. I also think that a lot of financial institutions have gotten crushed by the fall in the market with all their free money from the Fed. Basically all of the stealth QE money is now in the red. I suspect that was also leveraged. If the Fed stops that program or these companies have to unwind their underwater investments, we could see a snowball effect to the downside.

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
I know a global pandemic is sort of a black swan event but, totally theoretically, how would one even begin to gague when rock bottom will be for airlines and cruises and other transit stocks getting cratered by the virus? I figure the recovery of the giants is inevitable unless we go totally Mad Max but it still feels nice to see very little Red Number before Green Number comes back.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is insane, I’m sorry. Sold my RSUs and stick potions and I’m getting my supposed work bonus out of this disaster to happen. Bye.

e: im keeping that typo

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I put some money in Robinhood for the free trades. Their interface is so barebones I was on the fence about using them and now neither the app or webpage are working this morning. LMAO what the gently caress. I've used other brokers for years and I've never heard of this happening. I only put in some test money I can stand to lose while I evaluate them but other people are getting decimated because of this. It would be bad any time but Monday morning in the middle of a developing plague crisis is especially unfortunate. It's like when an MMO server goes down except now maybe you're financially ruined!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Apparently this happens every time there's high volatility in the market.

WSB is full of people bitching that they were mashing Sell on their puts this morning and got burned real bad by it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

regular mike posted:

I know a global pandemic is sort of a black swan event but, totally theoretically, how would one even begin to gague when rock bottom will be for airlines and cruises and other transit stocks getting cratered by the virus? I figure the recovery of the giants is inevitable unless we go totally Mad Max but it still feels nice to see very little Red Number before Green Number comes back.

Some of them weren't doing so hot before this happened, it could lead to bankruptcy or a bailout for them. The problem with airports are they are critical to some parts of the US to even get to other places and they already get the airport subsidized. I don't think it's enough to prevent failure but it might cushion the rock bottom. You can look up Essential Air Service if you want to go digging yourself.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I put some money in Robinhood for the free trades. Their interface is so barebones I was on the fence about using them and now neither the app or webpage are working this morning. LMAO what the gently caress. I've used other brokers for years and I've never heard of this happening. I only put in some test money I can stand to lose while I evaluate them but other people are getting decimated because of this. It would be bad any time but Monday morning in the middle of a developing plague crisis is especially unfortunate. It's like when an MMO server goes down except now maybe you're financially ruined!

Exact same for me. I just wanted to do some quick gambling.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I imagine restaurant chains will suffer during any type of health scare, and yep, BLMN has fallen off a cliff since Feb 21st.

I should probably look at the other big ones too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Basically every broker offers whatever RH does and I don't know why you'd use them. TD Ameritrade and Schwab both offer commission-less trading and have far, far more reliability.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

CLX just ripping. Kills 99.9% red out of my porfolio.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

robinhood forcing people to do the "smart" thing and not sell and they're dying to do the "dumb" thing but also lmao at the last part

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

robinhood forcing people to do the "smart" thing and not sell and they're dying to do the "dumb" thing

A good deal of them are trying to close calls they kept over the weekend expecting it to open green before falling. Someone in the WSB discord convinced a lot of people to do that on Friday.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Something I don’t quite understand. I’ve got about 8 toy shares total of SPY, GLD, W, and NTDOY. The shares are only slightly up at the moment, but over the weekend I somehow gained a noticeable amount of money in the Etrade cash section for that brokerage account. Where did that come from? I haven’t sold anything yet. Are those from dividends?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

pixaal posted:

A good deal of them are trying to close calls they kept over the weekend expecting it to open green before falling. Someone in the WSB discord convinced a lot of people to do that on Friday.

I've personally been burned a couple times by RH being down when I needed it not to be. I seriously can't imagine expecting it to ever be up when you need it to be. Pocket slot machine that flashes red or maybe green? For sure. Anything else? no

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
VXX still up. If I had to make the gamble now, I'd bet we end much lower today.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

fougera posted:

VXX still up. If I had to make the gamble now, I'd bet we end much lower today.

I'm not sure I'd call the whole market at this point way too close if I was going to play the SP500 I'd do a straddle today. Airlines don't look like they'll recover today though.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
lol, my stale SPY calls are losing money today with the market going up because of the vol drop :cool:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This market...

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone have a free link to see real-time (or, heck, lagged) intraday volume for S&P500 or NYSE or DJIA?

I know people have paid charting tools to view this kind of data per quote, but, free tools?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MetaJew posted:

I saw a really stupid post on /r/robinhood talking about buying UVXY calls (sure thing, can't go tits up, etc). So someone tell me how OP is going to lose all his money?

Or post your war stories about actually winning on VIX calls/puts.

I made a decent profit on this spike of volatility as I was holding a poo poo ton of VXX but I sold super early because I hate VXX due it's decay.

Anyway I also bought some NVDA, DIS, AAL(calls) and more precious metals on the open.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Capital gains tax is some loving garbage, that or etrade fuckin lies in its total account value display. :mad:

Well, no. The tax is not wrong, in fact it’s a good thing. I just didn’t quite understand the true value of what I held. Oh well.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

https://www.finviz.com has intraday candle charts of price action right on top. Digging into it requires a sub tho.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

lol, my stale SPY calls are losing money today with the market going up because of the vol drop :cool:

Same but I'll hold them because Stupid Rally is probably not over and they're nearly ITM.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
This crazy +2% bounce gave me the chance to get close to hedging 100% again against another big drop. If it keeps going up I'm going in for more and getting net short.

April 260s lol.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

DNK posted:

https://www.finviz.com has intraday candle charts of price action right on top. Digging into it requires a sub tho.

hmm, I'm really looking for intraday time-histories of volume, not price. Price seems easier to find.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, my etrade ESP has reported wildly different and confusing numbers for the account value over the past week or two, bouncing up and down about 25% of the highest total I’ve seen from it. Does etrade explain how the gently caress it gets those numbers?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

jokes posted:

Same but I'll hold them because Stupid Rally is probably not over and they're nearly ITM.

yeah I bought them to hold to expiry or close a profit

just, I like the non-intuitive behavior and understanding it

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Sold April 17 $100 calls on my whole GILD position for 1.05 to 1.10. I don’t even know. I triple checked to make sure I wasn’t accidentally looking at next year.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

How many over-leveraged Robinhood users got bankrupted today? jfc

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Sold April 17 $100 calls on my whole GILD position for 1.05 to 1.10. I don’t even know. I triple checked to make sure I wasn’t accidentally looking at next year.

Nicely done. 68% implied volatility :stare:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Hit Man posted:

Probably a lot

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hit Man posted:

They are doing what they’ve always done, yes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Hit Man posted:

Most people are going to have options ending Friday, market will probably go down at least one day this week. I wouldn't call them out just yet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gdi I thought i had more than I actually did in company stocks and also I tried to sell at limit when I really shouldn’t have. I don’t understand how you fuckers do this, this is nightmarishly stressful. I’m getting the hell away from this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

pixaal posted:

Most people are going to have options ending Friday, market will probably go down at least one day this week. I wouldn't call them out just yet.

Robin Hood completely crashing means they couldn’t close their put positions at a (smaller) loss. From today’s performance and the volatility drop, they’re almost certainly never going to make any money from those puts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
East coast lunch is over, time to sell.