Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Apparently Atlus is interested in porting things to Switch. Maybe it can get P5R alongside P5S after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Don’t get too excited yet. It is just a survey. It’ll be years before it amounts to anything.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Have they announced what DLC they're going to include in their season pass that could possibly be worth $40 - $60?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Memnaelar posted:

Have they announced what DLC they're going to include in their season pass that could possibly be worth $40 - $60?

Sans Morgana costume

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've been going through P5 for a while (because I lose interest every 10, 20 hours) and just did the cruise ship palace and uuuh I'm so done with the loving dungeons in this game :argh:

Why doesn't someone else make a similar game except it doesn't take 100 hours, and add Bravely Default's fight frequency sliders while we're at it...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

orcane posted:

I've been going through P5 for a while (because I lose interest every 10, 20 hours) and just did the cruise ship palace and uuuh I'm so done with the loving dungeons in this game :argh:

Why doesn't someone else make a similar game except it doesn't take 100 hours, and add Bravely Default's fight frequency sliders while we're at it...

There's only one more dungeon in the game and it's not bad in comparison.
Though I hope you have been going through Mementos regularly...

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I only have one memento quest open right now, but I can't remember how deep I got so far. How much is my level going to be an issue? The online comparison says people reached an average level of 67, mine is in the low 60s (can't check right now) and I'm only at the start of the 2-week period, so I assume the average of others will go up further.

The ship wasn't even that bad in the beginning, but it just kept going on for too long, has too much backtracking with the mouse stealth sections, the miniboss fights are boring and repetitive and the final fight sucks (but then I haven't min-maxed my personas as much as I should have, I guess).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memnaelar posted:

Morgana Dialogue Removal Patch

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I spent like 70 hours in vanilla p5, I'm always curious what's taking up the extra 30-50 hours

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Ship dungeon is real bad and highly reminiscent of P4 (and I assume older persona) dungeons and it sucks and isn’t fun

All the other ones are delightful though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Outside of the general structure of hallways it's not actually that much like P4, its issues are its own.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think it's a perfectly OK dungeon that overstays its welcome by half. The second round of mouse puzzles were just unnecessary padding.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think I'm gonna just wait for P5R, and play Persona 3 in the interim. I started P5 back up last night and got frustrated because I saved, left the game, then loaded my save back up and the save was like an hour of poo poo earlier than when I actually saved. When plenty of other games save files can keep track of the exact place and time you are when you save that's annoying frustrating bullshit, so maybe they should have just had save points instead of a save anywhere system that apparently is real picky about "anywhere."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think it's a perfectly OK dungeon that overstays its welcome by half. The second round of mouse puzzles were just unnecessary padding.

The rat hallways are awful and take way too long and they do it like five times for some godforsaken reason. Also that section where you fight like 100 boss fights in a row without the chance to go to a safe room in between. The parts where the various characters are trying to trick the people on the boat is the highlight. Anne's especially because her trying to do that accent is just :discourse:

None of the other dungeon gimmicks bothered me, except for the space one. And that one wouldn't be so bad except they make you do it 3 times and the third time where it's the longest I eventually had to look up a guide cause I just couldn't figure it out on my own.

I enjoyed the Mementos Depths gimmick

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The space dungeon is really bad and it's not helped by the fact that Sweatshop is easily the weakest dungeon track in the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Sydin posted:

Sweatshop is easily the weakest dungeon track in the game.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sydin posted:

The space dungeon is really bad and it's not helped by the fact that Sweatshop is easily the weakest dungeon track in the game.

This is categorically false

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sweatshop sucks, fight me :colbert:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Sydin posted:

Sweatshop sucks, fight me :colbert:

I don't want to but now I have to

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Who cares, apparently the P5S demo was datamined and a handful of new songs were posted, including a :krad: remix of Last Surprise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHF8ZzMpIlU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Give us a US release date :argh:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Boat dungeon emphasizes all the best and worst parts of Persona 5.

Kicking soundtrack, some really nice character moments... and a whole lot of filler and lovely pacing and an unsatisfying showdown with an uninteresting villain. The game never really hits quite the same hateable and off-puttingly realistic highs that Kamoshida does right at the beginning.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Boat dungeon really has the opposite reaction for me, all the character stuff was just fluff considering that every single time they end up fighting them anyway and half the time they forget the boat people aren't real and they're able to just walk away after getting the letters. It's some okay characterization and gives everyone a moment to shine, but it's just unnecessary even in-story.

I liked the last two rounds of mouse puzzles for being some of the only actual puzzles in the game, but they really should have just scrapped like half of them since the first half are so easy you literally always interact with the first interactable thing you see to progress, and I'm pretty sure ship dungeon is the only dungeon anyway without a secondary gimmick or puzzle anyway.

Sweatshop is incredibly whatever but it's not bad. Not that there really is dungeon music that's bad in the game anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Namnesor posted:

Who cares, apparently the P5S demo was datamined and a handful of new songs were posted, including a :krad: remix of Last Surprise

Jesus gently caress :thatsrad:

I've never been hyped for a musou before.

e: nor have i been as hyped for persona live this year, esp if the rest of the tracks are half this good

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 13, 2020

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

e: nor have i been as hyped for persona live this year, esp if the rest of the tracks are half this good

I feel like P5S has enough gameplay elements brought over from P5 that it's more like a half Musou half action RPG more than anything.
Sneaking up on and ambushing enemy groups, casting the SMT set of spells from a menu that pauses the game, using enemy weaknesses/all out attacks, etc.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Persona 5 Scramble isn't a musou. It's an action RPG with Musou gameplay mechanics. (Like how combos are done and the battle soundtrack.)

It was originally going to be a more conventional Musou with characters from P3 and P4, but it was decided early on to make it a full-blown sequel to P5.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Namnesor posted:

Can we get this backported to P5R as DLC? I like the original version, but after a bit of dungeon crawling, I usually wind up switching costumes to get one of the other battle themes playing (Akira Volume via the If... costumes, more often than not). This version has a hell of a lot more punch to it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Folt The Bolt posted:

Persona 5 Scramble isn't a musou. It's an action RPG with Musou gameplay mechanics. (Like how combos are done and the battle soundtrack.)

It was originally going to be a more conventional Musou with characters from P3 and P4, but it was decided early on to make it a full-blown sequel to P5.

Which automatically made it the best musou spin-off ever. Don’t get me wrong, the games can be fun in short bursts, but your average musou and its repetitive combat with hordes of helpless weaklings gets old fast.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Geostomp posted:

Which automatically made it the best musou spin-off ever. Don’t get me wrong, the games can be fun in short bursts, but your average musou and its repetitive combat with hordes of helpless weaklings gets old fast.

It still isn't a musou. I like how it looks and I'm getting it since it looks extremely my jam, but I'm not going into this with the kind of mindset that I go into musou games with.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i just started playing this game last week and i m a little ways past the first palace, how much longer until it actually lets me play the social sim parts

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf0LJrHuM_Q

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Regarding Kasumi, people upthread dropped some hints that there’s something disappointing going on there? Just quality of writing, or is she a super late recruit, or?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

2 SPOOKY posted:

Regarding Kasumi, people upthread dropped some hints that there’s something disappointing going on there? Just quality of writing, or is she a super late recruit, or?

The latter. she's only available for the new semester, pretty much

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

So it's kinda been a foregone conclusion for me that I'll get P5R because I loved the original so much and played through it like 2 or 3 times I think. But now with March/April being absolutely LOADED with games I want to play (Ori, DOOM, FF7R and god knows what else) I'm kinda going "Man, there's not enough time in my day to play all these games". I've mostly kept myself blindfolded with what's changed between P5 and P5R but the more I get glimpses of that, the more it seems like it might not actually be all that different from the original game?

I suppose my question essentially is, do you guys think the new stuff makes it a worthwhile purchase for someone who's already put a ton of time into the main game or are the differences/new additions so miniscule that I might as well just play P5 again?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think if you are ever going to replay P5 then you’d definitely want to play this version, unless the £50 is too much I guess. It’s adding some pretty cool new stuff. For me I played p5 to near the end but didn’t finish at release and I’m probably gonna grab it.

If it doesn’t look like enough and you aren’t aching to play p5 again in general and the end of March/early April is busy then you can probably just wait until it’s cheaper/later in the year and play it then?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

abraxas posted:

I suppose my question essentially is, do you guys think the new stuff makes it a worthwhile purchase for someone who's already put a ton of time into the main game or are the differences/new additions so miniscule that I might as well just play P5 again?

I feel like this question is a couple of months premature. Most people are just going off of video snippets and reviews translated from Japanese right now, which doesn't strike me as a great basis for forming an opinion on the changes.

I'm grabbing it at release because I only completed one playthrough of P5 and I've been itching to play it again, but if you've already played it several times and will have a lot of other releases to occupy you for a while, it'd probably make sense to wait a few months and pick it up once it starts going on sale.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
There are minor gameplay changes but the new content is mostly in the form of a fourth act after the end of the original game.

Some new characters have been added and have some early game cut scenes with no real interactions of consequence.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I heard in Royal they are removing the confusion trick for farming in mementos?

Tim Burns Effect posted:

i just started playing this game last week and i m a little ways past the first palace, how much longer until it actually lets me play the social sim parts

I am pretty sure you can start right after that you are mostly free to do what you want during your day. The game does take a bit of time to introduce all the mechanics and characters. The more characters you meet, the more activities and side stuff that get unlocked. So the side content gradually increases.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ulio posted:

I heard in Royal they are removing the confusion trick for farming in mementos?

I am pretty sure you can start right after that you are mostly free to do what you want during your day. The game does take a bit of time to introduce all the mechanics and characters. The more characters you meet, the more activities and side stuff that get unlocked. So the side content gradually increases.

It’s been nerfed hard, but the Jose mechanics more than make up for it. Just like how the Reaper no longer cares about flu season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Folt The Bolt posted:

It still isn't a musou. I like how it looks and I'm getting it since it looks extremely my jam, but I'm not going into this with the kind of mindset that I go into musou games with.

i'm gonna pursue lu bu and there's nothing you can do to stop me